NH NH/CA - Terry Peder Rasmussen, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about him looking like he could have Finnish ancestry. For example, Finnish hockey player Olli Jokinen looks enough like him to be his twin: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/photos/olli-jokinen-2015-1412.jpg

I wish that camera wasn't at such a steep overhead angle. It's hard to tell how much he's still looking down while he's talking to the LE interviewer. He's tall enough, even with the stoop, that leaning on his knees like that could put him at more or less eye level. It's something I've noticed very tall men sometimes have a habit of doing.

He has very large hands.

I agree about him looking like he could have Finnish ancestry. For example, Finnish hockey player Olli Jokinen looks enough like him to be his twin: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/photos/olli-jokinen-2015-1412.jpg

I wish that camera wasn't at such a steep overhead angle. It's hard to tell how much he's still looking down while he's talking to the LE interviewer. He's tall enough, even with the stoop, that leaning on his knees like that could put him at more or less eye level. It's something I've noticed very tall men sometimes have a habit of doing.
He has very large hands.

Maybe that's why his posture and some of his body positions looks familiar. My hubby does that. He's 6'5".

*He sounds "rural" to me, but with no readily distinct accent.
*Regarding his "ducks in a row" malapropism, that could just be an aging (alcoholic) brain, not a regional turn of phrase.
*He could be drunk, but I imagine his rambling about firefighters and journeyman carpenter plights to be about him trying to establish a believable rapport with the detectives. Man, he does have an angry streak, though, doesn't he?
*A firefighting "crew" does not sound odd to my New England ear.

*Finally, what about Texas as a possible state of origin?

Listen to the voice of country singer James Hand (born in Waco Texas, 1952) discuss his "rural upbringing" in 2012 at the age of 60. See 0:03 - 0:13 especially:

[video=youtube;Mio11ZQ-sSA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mio11ZQ-sSA[/video]

Now listen to Robert Evans (born in _____, perhaps 1942) discuss "living in a rural area" in 2002 at perhaps the same age of 60. See 1:37 - 1:53 especially:

[video=youtube;MGMok0ahhuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGMok0ahhuE[/video]

The country singer has a more obvious or stereotypical drawl, but the similar manner of speaking about similar topics is interesting to me.

PS - This is crazy they have video of him. Crazy to see!

I'm from Texas now living in se Oklahoma but lived in Alabama and Georgia a while. He doesn't sound like anyone from Texas I've known but possible he was born there and moved early. I love listening to ppls different accents and what I've noticed ppl from the different parts of the south have an accent -the further southeast the deeper the accent. Northeast has its own accent as well as usually very blunt to the point it can sound rude to southerners. The northcentral has a slight accent but not much and west coast is only one I call not having an accent because I dont hear it or can't define it. To me he sounds northwest because I don't hear really hear an accent. He just reminds me of someone from maybe northwest rural area

Sorry I forgot as for the "ducks in a row" I've used the phrase myself many times but I don't know if it's a regional thing or if it's used in more places

My eyes aren't very good so I use my ears more than anything and they are honed pretty good. Here is what I heard

Line 7 everybody is different. Law enforcement are human beings like everyone else.
And I wouldn't go to (?) while I was a carpenter, only making -should be "when you get a journeyman carpenter that's only making maybe 8 or 9 dollars an hour

doing, and works for the (government?). That word I can't make out but it starts with a c- like contin-as in continually

the scale is maybe about 38 dollars an hour now-in the Bay Area

They know it's dangerous. (??) Gould be "they're gonna go" "they will"

You'd get volunteer (not sure). Should be "you'd get volunteered"

LE: Alright Larry, your (?) came back. You know your other name, right? Should be "your prints came back"

LE: Maybe she hurt herself, and you're concerned about that getting out, 'cause she's hung herself. The word hung should be harmed

But she's not as (?) as she used to be. Should be she's not as aggressive as she used to be

Ducks lined up: Sounded to me like he was referring to something the LE said before the clip started, using the same phrase. Also I googled it and found a hit... in the UK. Seems like his speech is all over the place, maybe he really learned it from the TV.

I wonder what he meant by "She's not as aggressive as she used to be" ? Was he trying to hint at her being dead? Is this some sort of figure of speech?

Sorry I forgot as for the "ducks in a row" I've used the phrase myself many times but I don't know if it's a regional thing or if it's used in more places

He says "get my ducks lined up" doesn't he? I've heard loads of people on here from the US say "ducks in a row" but never the above.

The more times I listen to this, the more I think his native language is not English.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

He says "get my ducks lined up" doesn't he? I've heard loads of people on here from the US say "ducks in a row" but never the above.

Yes, he repeats the "ducks lined up" phrasing twice. I've always heard it as "ducks in a row" which is why I commented that the "lined up" phrase seems odd, but possibly a regional difference.

The more times I listen to this, the more I think his native language is not English.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Same. English is my second language. The first thing I thought when listening to him is that it's his second language. He speaks it fluently like I do but sometimes uses the wrong words. I do the same. It's because I tend to think in Spanish and end up doing literal translations while speaking. That's what I got from him also.

Question for those who live in the Mountain West States-- Is there a difference between the accents of people from the cities, like Tacoma, and the more rural areas? In the South, people who live in bigger cities or have higher levels of education lose their accent (or don't have as strong of one to begin with) but if you visit Appalachia (the rural areas) or any small town in the South you will hear a VERY distinct Southern accent.

Like I've said upthread, I live in Washington (by Tacoma). I don't notice any difference between accents in Tacoma and surrounding rural areas.

Gardener, the same can be said for the Maine accent. We all have similar pronunciations to words, but the more rural the area, especially Down East, the more noticeable. Up north near the Canadian border it's more clipped, but there.
The first time I heard it on TV, I thought the guy had a speech problem. My mum said, no, that's how we all sound. I was like, whaaat? I don't sound like that! Well, I do when I've been drinking. . .If you listen to Tim Sample on Youtube, that's the down east Maine accent.
But, there are some words that I say that are from different places, like I say mop/stop like someone from CT and I drawl some of my words because my stepfather was from NC.

I grew up mainly in Vermont and moved here when I was 13. In Vermont, they enunciate horribly, lol. I don't have a distinctive accent, but I drop all my Ts (more so than the typical American). But I did notice Bob Evans said "rurl" for rural, and I do the same. I say "meer" for mirror as well, so I wonder how he would say it.

My parents are from California, so I guess they would have somewhat influenced my accent.

The thing that most stood out to me about his voice and speech is how clearly he enunciates. I normally have trouble hearing voices in recordings, but I can understand nearly every word in the video. That's part of what made me thing of a broadcaster's voice.

His speech reminds me of someone I knew who came from a rural area of Norther California where his family was quite well off, educated and owned a lot of land. His manner of speaking; clear, articulate with a slow drawl seemed to express the identity of "high end rural".

The thing that most stood out to me about his voice and speech is how clearly he enunciates. I normally have trouble hearing voices in recordings, but I can understand nearly every word in the video. That's part of what made me thing of a broadcaster's voice.

He is articulate. I understood every word, too. Would someone in the military who is trained in foreign languages maybe have that type of speech pattern, too?

My eyes aren't very good so I use my ears more than anything and they are honed pretty good. Here is what I heard

Line 7 everybody is different. Law enforcement are human beings like everyone else.
And I wouldn't go to (?) while I was a carpenter, only making -should be "when you get a journeyman carpenter that's only making maybe 8 or 9 dollars an hour

doing, and works for the (government?). That word I can't make out but it starts with a c- like contin-as in continually

the scale is maybe about 38 dollars an hour now-in the Bay Area

They know it's dangerous. (??) Gould be "they're gonna go" "they will"

You'd get volunteer (not sure). Should be "you'd get volunteered"

LE: Alright Larry, your (?) came back. You know your other name, right? Should be "your prints came back"

LE: Maybe she hurt herself, and you're concerned about that getting out, 'cause she's hung herself. The word hung should be harmed

But she's not as (?) as she used to be. Should be she's not as aggressive as she used to be

Agreed 100% and I'd say on line "doing, and works for the (government?). That word I can't make out but it starts with a c- like contin-as in continually'

i think he says "knows what he's doing and works good"

I vote original midwest background...Ohio, IN, possible western PA. I'm from OH and he sounds A LOT like people I would have spoken to there. I think though his phrases are such a variety from living all over the place.

omg I was thinking the SAME thing!.. Yep not as aggressive as she used to be..!
I wonder what he meant by "She's not as aggressive as she used to be" ? Was he trying to hint at her being dead? Is this some sort of figure of speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01