NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Concord police want to contact the individual who owns or was operating a dark green Toyota RAV4, with a model year between 2006-2012. The vehicle was parked at the Marsh Loop trailhead on April 18.

I guess this puts to rest the idea that the suspect is homeless/living in the woods.
Probably just that the vehicle was recorded in the area at the time and so far has not been accounted for. After a certain amount of investigation it becomes about things that haven't come out being suspicious. It could still be that the Rav-4 belongs to someone who could be eliminated as a suspect but obviously three investigation went past a certain point and they decided that associating the sketch with a vehicle was likely to jog someone's memory. You would think they could just go through the drivers license photos of all the Rav-4 owners but it could be titled to someone other than the person of interest.

Additional photos of the vehicle were posted in this NBC Boston article.

IMO it looks like the center photo may have been taken from dashcam video, but I'm not sure about the other photos. The photo in the top right corner looks like it was taken while the car was pulling in or backing out of the parking spot as the telephone poles are directly behind the vehicle and neither the purple object on the ground nor the sign (both seen in all of the other photos) are visible.
Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 1.53.23 PM-min.png

Concord police want to contact the individual who owns or was operating a dark green Toyota RAV4, with a model year between 2006-2012. The vehicle was parked at the Marsh Loop trailhead on April 18.

I guess this puts to rest the idea that the suspect is homeless/living in the woods.
Some homeless people live in their cars. It might eliminate living in the woods. Do we even know the man they want to ID is associated with this car? Sorry if I missed that.

 JMO

A Rav-4 at a trail makes alot of sense.

Rav-4s are marketed towards the outdoorsy crowd. They can haul enough light recreational fun gear to be practical, yet dont have the size of a heavy SUV. They also have good ground clearance for dirt roads- but still drive like a car. .

Good design elements aside.....

The gear racks on the roof of the vehicle of interest look factory, not the heavier and more elaborate after market versions. I don't know if the rear spare tire is a factory option.

Not wanting to go too far on a slippery subjective slope, but, if the owner is truly considered a suspect....

RAV-4 vibes far more "fit, trendy and crunchy" to me than "white supremacist 'mobile". To me, such a perpetrator would give pick up vibes- maybe with macho bumper stickers such as "Glock" or "Molon Labe" (purportedly a Spartan battle slogan).

Fit, trendy and crunchy types dont make attractive rage murder suspects. Then again anybody can buy a RAV-4 and not every say, surfer or climber is known for being non violent and having a good attitude.

Likewise, the car looks empty and thus less likely being used as a residence by a semi homeless perpetual camper type.

Last edited:

Rav-4s are marketed towards the outdoorsy crowd. They can haul enough light recreational fun gear to be practical, yet dont have the size of a heavy SUV. They also have good ground clearance for dirt roads- but still drive like a car. .

The gear racks on the roof of the vehicle of interest look factory, not the heavier and more elaborate after market versions. I don't know if the rear spare tire is a factory option.

Not wanting to go too far on a slippery subjective slope, but, if the owner is truly considered a suspect....

RAV-4 vibes far more "fit, trendy and crunchy" to me than "white supremacist 'mobile". To me, such a perpetrator would give pick up vibes- maybe with macho bumper stickers such as "Glock" or "Molon Labe" (purportedly a Spartan battle slogan).

Fit, trendy and crunchy types dont make attractive rage murder suspects. Then again anybody can buy a RAV-4 and not every say, surfer or climber is known for being non violent and having a good attitude.

Likewise, the car looks empty and thus less likely being used as a residence by a semi homeless perpetual camper type.
We also don't know how the car fits into the puzzle yet. It could be unrelated, but assuming it is connected to the murders, we don't know whether the car belongs to the POI or if he was borrowing it from someone else.

We also don't know how the car fits into the puzzle yet. It could be unrelated, but assuming it is connected to the murders, we don't know whether the car belongs to the POI or if he was borrowing it from someone else.
True.

My guess, however, is that the totality of the photos, sketch and press conference support that the police have a strong, active interest in finding him- not just a casual "might have seen something" type interest.

There could well be other unidentified "might have seen something" types on the trail that day. Yet, only one specific person has been the subject of police sketches, car photos, and a press conference.

This will sound odd, but the mention of khaki colored pants rang a bell with me. We saw the white supremicists march in khaki pants and polo shirts ( the dated preppy look) in Charlottesville.
Good point, if I remember right, some olde school Klan or white nationalist types favored black dark dress slacks, white button downs and black ties.

Likewise, when I lived in SOCAL, a large area Hispanic gang was known to go "bad boy preppy" as well with dress shoes, ironed Khaki pants topped by stark white 'n pressed dress shirts or in other cases, a new white undershirt.

Last edited:

I couldn't disagree more with your assumptions about the vehicle or about "fit, trendy, crunchy types". Macho bumper stickers?

Rage murder? Maybe. We don't know. The Austin cyclist/yoga teacher/realtor who is a murder suspect, Kaitlin Armstrong, being "fit, trendy & crunchy" didn't inhibit her.

JMO

Rage murder? Maybe. We don't know. The Austin cyclist/yoga teacher/realtor who is a murder suspect, Kaitlin Armstrong, being "fit, trendy & crunchy" didn't inhibit her.

JMO
Very good point.

Exploring a personal rivalry of the crunchy kind motive- I wonder if the victims had spoken out at any public meetings regarding what activities could, or could not, be done on area trails. Maybe say, restricting bikes to certain areas? Banning dirt bikes or four wheelers?

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more with your assumptions about the vehicle or about "fit, trendy, crunchy types". Macho bumper stickers?
Please note that I said "possibly with macho bumper stickers".

In the end, however, some people with strong beliefs about a variety of subjects express those beliefs via bumper stickers. Say, a white supremacist displaying right wing associated bumper stickers would not be unusual. Neither would eco terrorist types displaying leftist oriented ones.

Of course, there are plenty of people with strong beliefs about this or that- and no bumper stickers what so ever.

Last edited:
During a news conference on Thursday afternoon, [New Hampshire Attorney General John M.] Formella said there is no connection between the person of interest and the vehicle being sought in the case. The person of interest is not currently a suspect in the case, he said.

If this was a hate crime, scaring people may not have been the primary goal. The killer may have known the Reids,
or projected all his hatred onto them.
I like that possibility. Though a random hate crime against an opportunistic target is clearly possible, the perpetrator would need to be armed and be mentally prepared to commit double murder- not just harassment, at a moments notice.

I wonder if any of the friends of the victims has a "wasted youth" type son with a quiet reputation for extremism and aggression?

Has anyone read info on how the photo of the RAV 4 was captured at the trailhead parking lot? I've read a few articles about the car but none has said. It's such a grainy picture that I doubt someone snapped the photo with their phone. Unless maybe it was VERY far away and is super zoomed in. I'm just asking because I was unaware of any sort of CCTV by the trailhead. Typically you don't have CCTV at hiking trailheads. I don't have a source for that except for my own experience. I'm an avid hiker, have hiked hundreds of trails all over the country and have never once seen a camera at any of them. Possibly it was a dash cam footage from someone driving by who turned it in to police? I wonder how long they've had it?

Maybe they were hoping by asking for anyone in the area of the trails to come forward that they'd speak to the owner of the vehicle and they feel enough time has passed that it's interesting the person never came forward. Of course, like they stated, they aren't a suspect and chances are, they either don't know about the ask for people in the area that day to reach out or have some other reason for not contacting the police. It was right after a holiday weekend so could have even been out of towners who left after that day and have never even heard about this case MOO.

Has anyone read info on how the photo of the RAV 4 was captured at the trailhead parking lot?
RSBM

Great article with statements from their son & daughter. So many details I've not heard before!

... dashcam footage from two SAU 8 Concord School District buses as well as at least one resident showing a dark green Toyota RAV4 SUV at the Marsh Loop trailhead parking lot on Portsmouth Street at around the same time Stephen and Djeswende Reid were believed to be hiking on April 19.

Lindsay Reid said the family had been trying to get more info from investigators — including ballistics and other evidence but had received the same answers as everyone else: specifics were not being released to protect the integrity of the investigation.

Brian Reid said in an online post police had been “tightlipped” about a lot of the details.... Police, he said, were using geofencing — the process of collecting wi-fi, GPS, RFID, and cellular data to track cellphones and other devices in use, in the area, at the time, as part of the investigation.

BBM & MOO

RSBM

Great article with statements from their son & daughter. So many details I've not heard before!

... dashcam footage from two SAU 8 Concord School District buses as well as at least one resident showing a dark green Toyota RAV4 SUV at the Marsh Loop trailhead parking lot on Portsmouth Street at around the same time Stephen and Djeswende Reid were believed to be hiking on April 19.

Lindsay Reid said the family had been trying to get more info from investigators — including ballistics and other evidence but had received the same answers as everyone else: specifics were not being released to protect the integrity of the investigation.

Brian Reid said in an online post police had been “tightlipped” about a lot of the details.... Police, he said, were using geofencing — the process of collecting wi-fi, GPS, RFID, and cellular data to track cellphones and other devices in use, in the area, at the time, as part of the investigation.

BBM & MOO
Responding to my own post with this particularly interesting statement by their daughter:

Lindsay Reid also raised concerns about “a chilling exchange” she had with a neighbor in her parents’ building at Alton Woods while clearing out items from her parents’ apartment. While she did not get into specifics about the conversation, she said he was “likely just racist/sick, but could also potentially be involved.” She shared information about the exchange with the police.

The above article posted by Wings also states: Brian Reid said in an online post police had been "tightlipped" about a lot of the details. He said their parents' bodies were dragged away from the trail after they were killed, which may be why the attorney general's office had stated their bodies were recovered "from a wooded area in close proximity" to the Marsh Loop Trail. Robbery did not appear to be a motive but police had not released a lot of info about the motivation to the family.

So there it is @black_squirrel - it was out there somewhere!

The above article posted by Wings also states: Brian Reid said in an online post police had been "tightlipped" about a lot of the details. He said their parents' bodies were dragged away from the trail after they were killed, which may be why the attorney general's office had stated their bodies were recovered "from a wooded area in close proximity" to the Marsh Loop Trail. Robbery did not appear to be a motive but police had not released a lot of info about the motivation to the family.

So there it is @black_squirrel - it was out there somewhere!

Thanks, so this confirms that Brian stated that the bodies were dragged away. What is not clear to me is whether the police explicitly stated to the family that the bodies were dragged away, or whether Brian or someone else inferred this from that statement of the attorney general and other facts in the case. This kind of detail would normally not be shared with the public or family because only the police and the perpetrator(s) know these details.

I also wonder why the bodies would be moved. The shots and possible other loud noises could have been heard by others. It would make more sense for the killer(s) to get out as soon as possible. I don't have any experience,
but I'd think that dragging two bodies through the woods would take valuable time.

Thanks, and welcome to Websleuths!
This press release further states:
"Investigators are still seeking to identify the person of interest depicted in the sketch released on May 17, 2022. The person of interest is described as a white male in his late 20s or early 30s, approximately 5'10" tall, medium build, with short brown hair, and clean-shaven. He was seen wearing a dark blue jacket (possibly with a hood), khaki-colored pants, and carrying a black backpack. He was seen in the vicinity of the shooting on Monday, April 18, 2022."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back