NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
  • Several months before the murders, a man who frequents the Broken Ground Trails, contacted police after he spotted a single tent tucked away in a secluded area of the woods near the power lines
  • In March....a woman was walking on the Broken Ground Trails when she approached a young man on the trails who appeared to be homeless and was screaming to himself. When the man noticed her, he stopped screaming and looked at the ground to avoid eye contact.
  • Four days before the homicides, a different woman contacted police after a strange man suddenly appeared behind her vehicle as she prepared to leave the trail parking lot. Fearful for herself and the children in the area, she contacted police but the man was gone when they arrived.

Updated article from 2-24-23 with a few new details.
Clegg is being held without bail at the Merrimack County House of Corrections. News 9 confirmed he is in maximum security but can receive mail and have visits.

His trial on murder charges is scheduled to begin in July.

Interesting that when this happened we all got the impression there were no leads when in fact all kinds of locals were immediately suspicious of this guy and had voiced concerns about him in the time leading up to it. Physical evidence was found where he was known to camp and a while lot of other stuff. I'm surprised none of the locals made statements to the media about him immediately. I guess investigators actually can gag reporting in the USA in this day and age. Surprising.

Interesting that when this happened we all got the impression there were no leads when in fact all kinds of locals were immediately suspicious of this guy and had voiced concerns about him in the time leading up to it. Physical evidence was found where he was known to camp and a while lot of other stuff. I'm surprised none of the locals made statements to the media about him immediately. I guess investigators actually can gag reporting in the USA in this day and age. Surprising.

I follow another case here on Websleuths that is well-known for the secrecy of its investigators about the details of the crime. I read an interview, let's call it, with a news director at a station local to the area where this crime occurred, who was asked if there are any facts about the caae that are known to reporters but are being kept quiet and he said unequivocally yes -- there are certain facts that all local reporters got wind of very early on, but investigators asked them not to report on it and they all agreed.

He said investigators also actually shared certain confidential things that reporters could not have discovered on their own, but did so to ensure that local reporting would not publish contrary rumors that were totally off base. So an agreement was in place that they would not report certain details about the truth and also would not report things that were so incorrect as to be damaging to the case.

All of this to say, I'm not sure it's investigators "gagging" the media in some cases so much as a symbiotic relationship where LE gets something out of reporters knowing certain facts but agreeing not to publish them just yet, and reporters preserving their relationship with LE and access to future information by complying.

All MOO.

I follow another case here on Websleuths that is well-known for the secrecy of its investigators about the details of the crime. I read an interview, let's call it, with a news director at a station local to the area where this crime occurred, who was asked if there are any facts about the caae that are known to reporters but are being kept quiet and he said unequivocally yes -- there are certain facts that all local reporters got wind of very early on, but investigators asked them not to report on it and they all agreed.

He said investigators also actually shared certain confidential things that reporters could not have discovered on their own, but did so to ensure that local reporting would not publish contrary rumors that were totally off base. So an agreement was in place that they would not report certain details about the truth and also would not report things that were so incorrect as to be damaging to the case.

All of this to say, I'm not sure it's investigators "gagging" the media in some cases so much as a symbiotic relationship where LE gets something out of reporters knowing certain facts but agreeing not to publish them just yet, and reporters preserving their relationship with LE and access to future information by complying.

All MOO.
I hope you're not talking about Missy Bevers's because after seven years I can't imagine how the public knowing simple things like COD or seeing additional security footage of the suspect could hamper the investigation at this point. In this case it was still relatively fast considering the realistic pace of investigation and preparing a capital murder case plus the suspect is very likely unhinged enough to react violently if he knew he was being investigated. Seems like in my neck of the woods they just pick up nutbags like this for some minor offense though and keep them detained while they complete their serious investigation.

I hope you're not talking about Missy Bevers's because after seven years I can't imagine how the public knowing simple things like COD or seeing additional security footage of the suspect could hamper the investigation at this point. In this case it was still relatively fast considering the realistic pace of investigation and preparing a capital murder case plus the suspect is very likely unhinged enough to react violently if he knew he was being investigated. Seems like in my neck of the woods they just pick up nutbags like this for some minor offense though and keep them detained while they complete their serious investigation.

That wasn't the case I was talking about, no.

Didn't see these hearings posted

April 21, 2023

May 24, 2023 Part 1

May 24, 2023 Part 2

June 9, 2023

Logan Lavar Clegg, in Merrimack County Superior Court on Oct. 3, faces double murder and evidence charges.

Logan Lavar Clegg

The jurors, 16, nine women and seven men, chosen, listened on Tuesday as Meghan Carly Hagaman gave an overview of the prosection’s case, saying Clegg, shot and killed the couple and was seen looking into the area where their bodies were found three days later. She traced back the work of Concord police and other law enforcement agencies searching for bullets, speaking with Clegg while searching for the Reids and accusing him of giving a false name, and six months later, arrested Clegg in South Burlington, Vermont, days before he was booked to take a flight overseas with a Romanian passport and thousands of dollars in cash.

A public defender, Caroline Smith, challenged the evidence that her client was a homeless camper living in the area, working in the area, and camping in different areas of the Broken Trail compound. She also said Reid earned the money he had while working at a store in Vermont. Smith said the prosecution’s evidence, saying Clegg did not kill the Reids and they had the wrong man, noting Clegg had no connection to the couple

Logan Lavar Clegg, in Merrimack County Superior Court on Oct. 3, faces double murder and evidence charges.

Logan Lavar Clegg

The jurors, 16, nine women and seven men, chosen, listened on Tuesday as Meghan Carly Hagaman gave an overview of the prosection’s case, saying Clegg, shot and killed the couple and was seen looking into the area where their bodies were found three days later. She traced back the work of Concord police and other law enforcement agencies searching for bullets, speaking with Clegg while searching for the Reids and accusing him of giving a false name, and six months later, arrested Clegg in South Burlington, Vermont, days before he was booked to take a flight overseas with a Romanian passport and thousands of dollars in cash.

A public defender, Caroline Smith, challenged the evidence that her client was a homeless camper living in the area, working in the area, and camping in different areas of the Broken Trail compound. She also said Reid earned the money he had while working at a store in Vermont. Smith said the prosecution’s evidence, saying Clegg did not kill the Reids and they had the wrong man, noting Clegg had no connection to the couple
I am glad the trial has finally started and I am hopeful for the right conclusion which imo is a guilty verdict.
From what I have read, the victims were some of the best people you will find in this life. Kind, of service to others, unassuming. And to think they were not safe in Concord NH, out mid day on a walk, to me is unthinkable.
Sounds like the defense's argument about the defendant not having any connection to the victims and therefore no motive is pretty flimsy. To me that just increases the heinousness of the crime. Totally senseless.
Lots of murderers have no connection to their victims. I hope they throw the book at this criminal. He is broken beyond all repair and a definite danger to society ALL IMO
JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow