Found Deceased NH - Hiker Emily Sotelo, from MA, dropped off in Franconia, Lafayette trailhead, Hiking Mounts Lafayette, Haystack & Flume, 20 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, I've read those. I can't understand how NHF&G would have known those things since they didn't pack her pack. Perhaps her Mom packed her pack so they found out those specifics from her Mom, but I haven't read anything that stated that her Mom had any hiking experience or had packed her daughter's pack. I guess I just project to thinking about "what if it was me" out for that hike. I do a lot of solo hiking, occasionally hike with a partner or small group. There are people who I communicate my plan to, sometimes friends drop me off at trailheads. Or if I've gone alone I'll text a picture to a friend when I'm at the trailhead ready to roll. My friends might speculate what's in my pack, based on having hiked with me before or based on something I've said to them, but they really don't know for sure if I have a headlamp (or two) or how much food or what extra clothing I'm carrying or if I brought microspikes. They might look at the picture I sent and say "he was wearing black exercise pants and an orange jacket" without knowing that I had a hat & gloves in the pack and tights under my pants and 2 layers under my jacket.

Perhaps NHF&G had a good source to know more reliable facts about what was in her pack, or perhaps the media reports simplified what NHF&G said. Really sad to see the outcome, I was hoping she got off the mountain and just missed the connection with her Mom.
Actually, mother and daughter were staying in a motel for the week. Mom could indeed have known EXACTLY what her daughter was carrying.

AFAIK SAR hasn’t said that the casualty had a pack.

Yes, I've read those. I can't understand how NHF&G would have known those things since they didn't pack her pack. Perhaps her Mom packed her pack so they found out those specifics from her Mom, but I haven't read anything that stated that her Mom had any hiking experience or had packed her daughter's pack. I guess I just project to thinking about "what if it was me" out for that hike. I do a lot of solo hiking, occasionally hike with a partner or small group. There are people who I communicate my plan to, sometimes friends drop me off at trailheads. Or if I've gone alone I'll text a picture to a friend when I'm at the trailhead ready to roll. My friends might speculate what's in my pack, based on having hiked with me before or based on something I've said to them, but they really don't know for sure if I have a headlamp (or two) or how much food or what extra clothing I'm carrying or if I brought microspikes. They might look at the picture I sent and say "he was wearing black exercise pants and an orange jacket" without knowing that I had a hat & gloves in the pack and tights under my pants and 2 layers under my jacket.

Perhaps NHF&G had a good source to know more reliable facts about what was in her pack, or perhaps the media reports simplified what NHF&G said. Really sad to see the outcome, I was hoping she got off the mountain and just missed the connection with her Mom.
They were staying in a hotel room I believe. Guessing like me Emily had all the items that were going into her pack spread out in the room. Sounds like not many items but still her mom would have seen what Emily was putting in her pack. I remember in my thru-hike sharing a motel room with other hikers and one of the first things everyone did was a 'pack explosion' where all the pack contents were pulled out the pack to sort, clean, organize.

Snipped for focus....

Yes! We just had a "presumed deceased" Vermonter going light on a solo backpack in the Olympics, not 3 weeks ago. She started out from the trailhead, in a rainforest, in pouring cold rain. Unclear if she owned rain pants, since "going light" hikers don't like to carry those, saving weight and all.
And we had the two "fast and light" thru hikers who would have died on Lafayette in mid-summer if another thru hiker with a tent, a map, snacks, sleeping bag, and some basic common sense hadn't come along. 2017 IIRC.
It’s very sad. The Whites are beautiful in the winter but take the Cannon Mountain Tramway up to the top! Take a ski lesson! Lots of safe ways to enjoy the region without too much danger.

RIP Dear Emily, May you soar with the eagles!

First off, Thank you to all the posters here, who have spread their knowledge and expertise regarding the area(s) in NH. It looks like absolute heaven. Gorgeous country.

For the posters here with hiking abilities and history, thank you! I have learned so much! Let me just say, as a flat lander in the Midwest....my hiking history consists of woodlands and stream beds. An occasional dune from the Lakeshores of the Great Lakes. Nothing at all like what I have read about here. The last time I personally tried to hike in a higher elevation, ( CO ) I couldn't breathe!!! Almost ended up in the ER. I wish I had the strength and endurance to go to the mountains and hike.

I watched a YouTube video last night ( on this site a few pages back ) where a guy was hiking and filming in the very same area where Emily was. I was exhausted, my heart was racing...I had to use an inhaler for crying out loud!

My question is for those who hike these trails alone. I am personally bothered by a solo quest, which SCREAMS DANGER!
What would the benefit be vs such a risky and dangerous thing to do? I get the "being one with nature" and pushing my muscles and body to extremes I guess. But, going out climbing cliffs in sub freezing temps, with snow and ice and winds....ALONE....is not only terrifying...it's risky as heck. I just don't understand the draw, risking your life I guess.

Peace

They think she died of exposure :( possibly "...blown off the mountain by high winds"

Can someone elaborate on what “blown off the top of the mountain” means? Does this mean she was literally blown by the winds to the point where she slid down the mountain, landing at her resting spot? Or blown off, injured, hiked down…reading they first found some of her items again makes me think if terminal burrowing, discarding of items as she felt hotter etc and aligns with dying due to exposure…

Poor Emily and her family. So much light being sent their way as they grapple with this unimaginable loss. I hope this serves as caution to others and makes another person think twice before attempting something insurmountable given the conditions.

Has anyone heard if she and her mom were up in NH alone? I really hope Mom has family with her, hopefully in the hotel itself, but if not, then at least in town or close by. I can't imagine Mom going through this alone and driving that 2 hours back home. That trip is probably nothing most of the time, but under these circumstances, praying she's not alone.

Has anyone heard if she and her mom were up in NH alone? I really hope Mom has family with her, hopefully in the hotel itself, but if not, then at least in town or close by. I can't imagine Mom going through this alone and driving that 2 hours back home. That trip is probably nothing most of the time, but under these circumstances, praying she's not alone.
Sotelo's family is in New Hampshire but did not take part in the search due to the conditions, he said. Her mother came up to New Hampshire with her daughter originally, and her father and sister are there now as well.

Can someone elaborate on what “blown off the top of the mountain” means? Does this mean she was literally blown by the winds to the point where she slid down the mountain, landing at her resting spot? Or blown off, injured, hiked down…reading they first found some of her items again makes me think if terminal burrowing, discarding of items as she felt hotter etc and aligns with dying due to exposure…

Poor Emily and her family. So much light being sent their way as they grapple with this unimaginable loss. I hope this serves as caution to others and makes another person think twice before attempting something insurmountable given the conditions.
Strong winds on a mountain can prevent you from standing up, to the point where you have to crawl. And a strong gust of wind can literally pick up a person and slam them back down to the ground.

Strong winter winds can be deadly.

Snipped for focus....

Yes! We just had a "presumed deceased" Vermonter going light on a solo backpack in the Olympics, not 3 weeks ago. She started out from the trailhead, in a rainforest, in pouring cold rain. Unclear if she owned rain pants, since "going light" hikers don't like to carry those, saving weight and all.
And we had the two "fast and light" thru hikers who would have died on Lafayette in mid-summer if another thru hiker with a tent, a map, snacks, sleeping bag, and some basic common sense hadn't come along. 2017 IIRC.
Welcome, @RickshawFan. We have missed your valuable expertise. I hope you are well.

RIP Dear Emily, May you soar with the eagles!

First off, Thank you to all the posters here, who have spread their knowledge and expertise regarding the area(s) in NH. It looks like absolute heaven. Gorgeous country.

For the posters here with hiking abilities and history, thank you! I have learned so much! Let me just say, as a flat lander in the Midwest....my hiking history consists of woodlands and stream beds. An occasional dune from the Lakeshores of the Great Lakes. Nothing at all like what I have read about here. The last time I personally tried to hike in a higher elevation, ( CO ) I couldn't breathe!!! Almost ended up in the ER. I wish I had the strength and endurance to go to the mountains and hike.

I watched a YouTube video last night ( on this site a few pages back ) where a guy was hiking and filming in the very same area where Emily was. I was exhausted, my heart was racing...I had to use an inhaler for crying out loud!

My question is for those who hike these trails alone. I am personally bothered by a solo quest, which SCREAMS DANGER!
What would the benefit be vs such a risky and dangerous thing to do? I get the "being one with nature" and pushing my muscles and body to extremes I guess. But, going out climbing cliffs in sub freezing temps, with snow and ice and winds....ALONE....is not only terrifying...it's risky as heck. I just don't understand the draw, risking your life I guess.

Peace
If you go to NH in the winter, you will see people in crampons with ice axes, climbing up 1000 ft frozen waterfalls, so rest assured those folks think this trail hiking is not all that scary. IMO. (seen it; never thought it was something I wanted to try)

Last edited:
I had an experience once where I was indeed blown over by wind while backpacking along a ridge. It was so scary. The next day my face was swollen from the winds.
with the temps she was in, we are talking frostbite and possibly it was hard to see because her eyes would dry out. not sure what all the weather was like 11/19 but if you get low clouds or mist, you could completely lose visibility at times. the trails above tree line have rock cairns... if you cannot see from one to the next, it would be easy to get disoriented. The Alltrails reviews had people up there on 11/19 with "views," and safe returns so still wonder if anyone saw her that day.

Peace
I enjoy hiking in the winter but not in any extreme weather. Temp less than 25, poor visibility, wet/icy precipitation, high winds…I’m out or at least altering my plans. I will hike alone but almost 100% of the time, it’s with my dog and other safety devices. I always carry my 10 essentials. I also check the Mount Washington Observatory forecast for the peaks to know what to expect. I remember that wind, wet and cold weather are deadly. I prioritize safety and I don’t ever stress about turning around if something doesn’t feel right (could be my knee is sore or my feet are cold).

My opinion is that Emily had put this pressure on herself to complete the 48 by today. That pressure may have clouded her judgment and created a scenario where she was unable to reassess the situation in the face of adverse weather. It’s hard to know.

with the temps she was in, we are talking frostbite and possibly it was hard to see because her eyes would dry out. not sure what all the weather was like 11/19 but if you get low clouds or mist, you could completely lose visibility at times. the trails above tree line have rock cairns... if you cannot see from one to the next, it would be easy to get disoriented. The Alltrails reviews had people up there on 11/19 with "views," and safe returns so still wonder if anyone saw her that day.
I think Emily was dropped off on 11/20. That day had quite a bit of wind and snow (at least where I am). The temps also dropped pretty significantly, IIRC.

I think Emily was dropped off on 11/20. That day had quite a bit of wind and snow (at least where I am). The temps also dropped pretty significantly, IIRC.
It was 0 F degrees and -30 with windchill on Lafayette on the 20th. Wind was 40 miles an hour. Snow was chest high in places. SAR was very pessimistic from the get-go, with reason. Didn't think she could survive the night.

I enjoy hiking in the winter but not in any extreme weather. Temp less than 25, poor visibility, wet/icy precipitation, high winds…I’m out or at least altering my plans. I will hike alone but almost 100% of the time, it’s with my dog and other safety devices. I always carry my 10 essentials. I also check the Mount Washington Observatory forecast for the peaks to know what to expect. I remember that wind, wet and cold weather are deadly. I prioritize safety and I don’t ever stress about turning around if something doesn’t feel right (could be my knee is sore or my feet are cold).

My opinion is that Emily had put this pressure on herself to complete the 48 by today. That pressure may have clouded her judgment and created a scenario where she was unable to reassess the situation in the face of adverse weather. It’s hard to know.

It was noted elsewhere in this thread that this particular trail route would have given Emily 3 peaks of over 4000 ft elevation and one very close to 4000 ft, so this would likely have been the penultimate hike for her goal of 48 peaks over 4000ft by 20th birthday. That would be the reason why she and her mother were staying in a motel and starting at 5 am, precisely to hit this goal, not just for a great scenic hike.

I don't know if she planned any of her other hikes to bag 4 peaks at once but this one sounded like the final MUST-DO for her goal.

I agree the pressure to conclude her goal in this short time frame had to have interfered with an option to cancel this trip and just wait for better weather or some other hikes with safer routes and better weather conditions.

It was 0 F degrees and -30 with windchill on Lafayette on the 20th. Wind was 40 miles an hour. Snow was chest high in places. SAR was very pessimistic from the get-go, with reason. Didn't think she could survive the night.
Thank you for all you do! Based on those trails that day, how far up do you think someone would get before realizing there's a problem? I am having a hard time imagining seeing the snow at the trailhead and not turning around realizing you need real gear for the hike.

Thank you for all you do! Based on those trails that day, how far up do you think someone would get before realizing there's a problem? I am having a hard time imagining seeing the snow at the trailhead and not turning around realizing you need real gear for the hike

I can't imagine someone who belonged to a hiking centric group would so blatantly disregard logic and safety. However I was 19 once and besides feeling invincible, I was kinda naive too. So sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back