Found Deceased NH - Hiker Emily Sotelo, from MA, dropped off in Franconia, Lafayette trailhead, Hiking Mounts Lafayette, Haystack & Flume, 20 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Franconia is a solid two hours by car from Westford. Unless they were staying up there, theoretically on vacation or something, Mom was in the car en route at 3 AM for this 5 AM dropoff.
Would be very curious to hear an interview with Mom.
Yes. Count me as very curious, too. As in, I'm not believing any of it.
JMO

It does appear that ES and her mother were visiting New Hampshire for Thanksgiving break.

“Sotelo, a resident of Westford, Massachusetts, was visiting New Hampshire with her mother for Thanksgiving break, which began on Nov. 19 for undergraduate students.

This photo isn't mine but was taken very recently of the area to give folks an idea of what things currently look like regarding conditions & topography. Emily's route up Lafayette via the Greenleaf Trail starts bottom center and ascends the cliffy shoulder on the left; looking closely you can make out the speck of Greenleaf hut mid way up. The majority of the Franconia Ridge trail is above treeline and fully exposed. The photo shows the summits of Lafayette (left) to Mt Lincoln & Little Haystack(right). This is only half of the area she was planning to traverse.. As you can imagine, getting lost or intentionally bushwhacking back down to the base of Franconia Notch requires entering the extreme elements of Walker Ravine or other less than ideal routes.. without proper footwear or gear. Kudos to the hardworking SAR and still hoping for a positive outcome!View attachment 382014
Excellent photo that portrays the expansive wilderness! Thank you for sharing!

This is awful. I am sure it is a recovery mission by now, and I hope they can find her and give her family some semblance of closure. Knowing she had a goal of bagging a certain number of peaks by her birthday makes this make a bit more sense, but I am still a bit confused on how unprepared she seemed for this hike. What is the elevation gain on the hike? Would conditions at the trailhead and driving to the TH be significantly different than once on the trail? (Likely yes, I know that happens many times and in many places).

Maybe thinking of it as a day hike, having had several successful hikes before, and not thinking she'd need to potentially weather conditions over night or for several days. It's too bad she didn't have a personal location beacon since it sounds like either the cell phone was drained of battery or there just wasn't reception to call for help.

How very tragic. I'm someone who absolutely loves hiking, loves the outdoors, feels most at home in the mountains, and it's always crushing when someone else dies (most likely has died) doing what they love.

Every parent should have hope in this situation. I know I wouldn't criticize them for hanging on to that small thread.

ETA: improved wording to be less critical. Sorry.
Remember that when you look back on a decision, you know things that you didn't when the decision was in front of you. Even if you're looking at the same information you had when you made the decision, you weigh it differently because you know how it turned out.

If this were my daughter and she was intent on reaching that goal I would have just 2 choices- Join in and drive her there, or watch while she got a ride from somebody else.

Her parents may no nothing about hiking or the potential danger. They might think all hiking is like walking on a manicured trail for 8 hours.

On the first page of this thread, I didn't believe that ES was actually going hiking. Once I heard that she was trying to bag peaks before her 20th birthday, then I believed she was up there.
snipped by me for brevity.

I’m with you. I felt more hopeful believing that she didn’t go hiking and couldn’t understand being dropped off at 5 am. But, as more details have emerged, I totally understand the extreme motivation she must have felt to complete the her 4k goal by today. While I suspect, based on what was released, that she wasn’t prepared with proper gear, sometimes people make decisions to travel light to be able to move faster. I get it.

It’s sad that it is her 20th birthday today and her parents are likely experiencing so much anguish as they wait.

This is awful. I am sure it is a recovery mission by now, and I hope they can find her and give her family some semblance of closure. Knowing she had a goal of bagging a certain number of peaks by her birthday makes this make a bit more sense, but I am still a bit confused on how unprepared she seemed for this hike. What is the elevation gain on the hike? Would conditions at the trailhead and driving to the TH be significantly different than once on the trail? (Likely yes, I know that happens many times and in many places).

Maybe thinking of it as a day hike, having had several successful hikes before, and not thinking she'd need to potentially weather conditions over night or for several days. It's too bad she didn't have a personal location beacon since it sounds like either the cell phone was drained of battery or there just wasn't reception to call for help.

How very tragic. I'm someone who absolutely loves hiking, loves the outdoors, feels most at home in the mountains, and it's always crushing when someone else dies (most likely has died) doing what they love.

It is hard to understand. There were at least a few inches of snow at the trailhead over the weekend. I'm not sure how you do even the easier hikes without boots. I am no athlete but I have waterproof hiking snowboots for taking walks once there is snow on the ground - we have such consistent snow that stays around, even brief walks in nature preserve type places would be uncomfortable in sneakers.

It sounds like Fish and Game are getting frustrated: "Eastman said no searchers have been injured, despite there being “rock gardens and drainages” under the snow the searchers are walking on. On Mount Lafayette, there were “impenetrable ice walls” on either side of the trail, he said, which made for tough going." Search for hiker turns to recovery

They have not mentioned if she had a hike safe card yet. Hikers who need to be rescued without the card can be asked to compensate NH for rescue efforts. Obviously this is a very sad case but it seems completely avoidable and there are so many dedicated people who are risking their own lives here.

It is hard to understand. There were at least a few inches of snow at the trailhead over the weekend. I'm not sure how you do even the easier hikes without boots. I am no athlete but I have waterproof hiking snowboots for taking walks once there is snow on the ground - we have such consistent snow that stays around, even brief walks in nature preserve type places would be uncomfortable in sneakers.

It sounds like Fish and Game are getting frustrated: "Eastman said no searchers have been injured, despite there being “rock gardens and drainages” under the snow the searchers are walking on. On Mount Lafayette, there were “impenetrable ice walls” on either side of the trail, he said, which made for tough going." Search for hiker turns to recovery

They have not mentioned if she had a hike safe card yet. Hikers who need to be rescued without the card can be asked to compensate NH for rescue efforts. Obviously this is a very sad case but it seems completely avoidable and there are so many dedicated people who are risking their own lives here.

As more information has come out, her shoes were actually low-cut hiking boots, not the sneakers that were reported in the earliest articles. She also was wearing thermal underwear.

One fact that has changed in the reporting is the time Emily was dropped off. All the initial reports said she was dropped off just before 5am. In the article saying this was turning into a recovery mission, it was written that Emily was dropped off at 4:30am. In the article from The Vanderbilt Hustler, the school newspaper of Vanderbilt University, it was reported that Emily was dropped off at 4 am.

As Emily only had the flashlight on her phone for lighting, that extends the amount of time she was in the dark and at the mercy of her phone. It would have been so easy to get lost. The quote from The Vanderbilt Hustler is below:

Sotelo, a resident of Westford, Massachusetts, was visiting New Hampshire with her mother for Thanksgiving break, which began on Nov. 19 for undergraduate students. According to MSN News, Sotelo was dropped off by her mother at the Lafayette Place Campground at the Franconia Notch State Park around 4 a.m. CST on Nov. 20 and has not been seen since.

Following...

From the article posted above ^^^^, and BBM, these words are absolutely haunting to me.

"In speaking with family members, Eastman said, it became apparent that Sotelo was “woefully unprepared” for conditions in Franconia Notch, which on Sunday morning saw zero degrees on the summits and wind gusts of 40 miles per hour. "

I’ve been following, hopeful, but from the very beginning with the description of the elements and her gear/clothing (or lack thereof), I assumed this would sadly turn into a recovery effort. My concern now is terminal burrowing - if she wasn’t warm enough and hypothermia set in before anything else ran afoul, or even if she was injured to the point she was unable to keep moving at a pace to keep her warm-ish, I wouldn’t have the faintest clue how they would find her as she would likely have wandered off-trail. She’s in, from what photos show and posters here have (quite eloquently) reported - many thanks to all of those with the first-hand knowledge of the area - a vast, other-worldly land of ice and rock and impenetrable trees..if they find her it will be a miracle, IMO.

What are the % rates on recovery of a body, in these conditions and area, time of year, etc.? Thoughts with the earth-angel searchers and her poor family.

As more information has come out, her shoes were actually low-cut hiking boots, not the sneakers that were reported in the earliest articles. She also was wearing thermal underwear.

One fact that has changed in the reporting is the time Emily was dropped off. All the initial reports said she was dropped off just before 5am. In the article saying this was turning into a recovery mission, it was written that Emily was dropped off at 4:30am. In the article from The Vanderbilt Hustler, the school newspaper of Vanderbilt University, it was reported that Emily was dropped off at 4 am.

As Emily only had the flashlight on her phone for lighting, that extends the amount of time she was in the dark and at the mercy of her phone. It would have been so easy to get lost. The quote from The Vanderbilt Hustler is below:

Sotelo, a resident of Westford, Massachusetts, was visiting New Hampshire with her mother for Thanksgiving break, which began on Nov. 19 for undergraduate students. According to MSN News, Sotelo was dropped off by her mother at the Lafayette Place Campground at the Franconia Notch State Park around 4 a.m. CST on Nov. 20 and has not been seen since.
4 AM CST would have been 5 AM EST, which is local time in New Hampshire.

I’m an avid hiker and usually follow a particular hiker from NH on yt. This person is an amazing hiker and thru-hiker. Recently this hiker attempted to hike a certain area in NH but because of the weather chose to shorten their hike. The hiker also mentioned there begin a few others doing the same.

The reason I mention this is I’m thinking that either ES realized about 3 miles or so into the hike it was a mistake and turned around and got lost. Or she never planned to hike to begin with and met someone at the trailhead. Very worried for this young lady, she has a promising life.

Did she take any type of rugged handheld GPS w/compass on trail? The light clothing is puzzling to me.

IMO, MOO

I'm so sad for this very promising young woman. A few bullet points from the link below with bolding by me:

As a New Hampshire National Guard helicopter ferried search teams to peaks in Franconia Notch on Tuesday, Fish and Game officials said the effort to locate a hiker missing there since Sunday is entering the recovery phase.

Emily Sotelo, of Westford, Mass., whose 20th birthday is today, was dropped off by her mother at the Lafayette Place Campground around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, said Capt. Michael Eastman, a co-leader of the Fish and Game search-and-rescue team.

In an e-mail, Vanderbilt University confirmed that Sotelo is a sophomore majoring in biochemistry and chemical biology.

Sotelo was supposed to rendezvous with her mother in the parking lot at the Flume Gorge between 3 and 3:30 p.m. Sunday, but she never arrived, prompting an extensive response by Fish and Game and volunteer search-and-rescue organizations.

On Tuesday morning, before the helicopter took searchers up from the Cannon Tram parking lot to the tops of the three peaks along Sotelo’s intended route, Eastman said it was likely that later Tuesday he would inform the Sotelo family that Emily had died and that the aim of searchers would be to find her body.

While she carried a “small amount of food” in a backpack and a water bladder, the water in the bladder would likely have frozen, said Eastman. Sotelo did not carry a lighter or other means of starting a fire to melt water or for heat.

I remember XC skiing near the Notch once and I had cold pizza along as a snack- it froze rock hard solid. I had to put it under my armpit and break off little pieces to melt in my mouth so even food will freeze. I have wondered why she did not turn back when she got to all the ice and I have wondered if she fell- anyone who has tried winter running has probably skidded out on black ice which is so invisible and it is very easy to fall. IMO.

snipped by me for brevity.

I’m with you. I felt more hopeful believing that she didn’t go hiking and couldn’t understand being dropped off at 5 am. But, as more details have emerged, I totally understand the extreme motivation she must have felt to complete the her 4k goal by today. While I suspect, based on what was released, that she wasn’t prepared with proper gear, sometimes people make decisions to travel light to be able to move faster. I get it.

It’s sad that it is her 20th birthday today and her parents are likely experiencing so much anguish as they wait.
Agree with the BBM.

Even your own voice challenging you and your ability to succeed at something is powerful. For me it's more powerful than others putting pressure on me to succeed at something. IMO

1669218688161.png

The Vanderbilt Hustler was quoting Emily's mom saying she dropped Emily off at 4am. It's unlikely that Vanderbilt adjusted the time of Emily's drop-off from 5am to 4am simply because Vanderbilt University is in the CST zone. For example, I'm in the Eastern Standard Time zone. If the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that a couple went missing at 6pm in California, the newspaper wouldn't say the couple went missing at 9pm simply because the newspaper headquarters are in the EST zone.

It seems so preposterous for her mother to drop her off in unsuitable clothing, more dressed for a walk to the mall than in winter snow conditions. Were there arrangements to pick her up or check in at any specific time?

I wonder if she was meeting someone instead of actually hiking and gave her mother a big story.
Sneakers are not suitable for ANY serious hiking. If you plan to walk a long road, nevermind in the lowlands or on the mountaintops, wear something that provides the ankle support. And if you go into the mountains, wear good waterproof boots with non-slippery sole. Do not hike wearing sneakers, folks. NEVER. And dress for the weather. ALWAYS.

Sneakers are not suitable for ANY serious hiking. If you plan to walk a long road, nevermind in the lowlands or on the mountaintops, wear something that provides the ankle support. And if you go into the mountains, wear good waterproof boots with non-slippery sole. Do not hike wearing sneakers, folks. NEVER. And dress for the weather. ALWAYS.
Respectfully, hikers today in general do not wear the heavy high hiking boots of old. Hiking equipment today is significantly lighter now. When I did my thru-hike 20 years ago my backpack alone weighed 6 pounds. Today hikers base weight can be around 6 pounds. Hikers are wearing trail runners these days. And in most weather will not choose waterproof since it takes such a long time for waterproof footwear to dry out.

It sounds like she is wearing the clothing, foot wear that would be appropriate for someone looking to do a fast hike that will generate lots of energy and sweating. Her mistake is not taking a small pack with at least the basic essentials: Insulation (extra clothing), Spikes for footwear, in snow/ice, Headlamp, Emergency Shelter, First Aid Kit, Hydration (extra water), SOS Device (satellite based, like inReach or SPOT), Food, Repair Kit/tools, Fire Starter. Yes, a little extra weight to carry, but essential. She also di not understand the weather conditions expected for the day she set out.

I'm so very sorry for her family and loved ones.

This has come up in a few posts this morning. I can only speak to my experience as a 40+ year hiker who has hiked 88 of the highest 100 peaks in New England including a number that are bushwhacks (i.e. no established trails) and has hiked the northern 1/3 of Vermont's Long Trail which is generally considered the most gnarly part of the LT. I have not done overnight hikes that include camping, most of my day hikes are in the 3.5-6 hour range but I have done day hikes up to 20+/- miles. I consider myself well above average as a hiker. I'm fit and I move quickly (not as quickly as I used to!!), and I am able to get out to hike about 20-25 times a year. I have only hiked in hiking boots a couple times, and it was decades ago. I prefer trail runners such as the Brooks Cascadia or the Hoka Speedgoat, as do many hikers these days. These kinds of shoes have evolved far beyond the running shoes that would be more suitable for runs on the local rec path. I would say around 40% of the hikers I see on trails similar to this the last few years are wearing trail runners, 45% hiking boots, 15% "other" (traditional running shoes, tennis shoes or sneakers, Crocs/Tevas, barefoot).

We really need to get past thinking that there is a right way and a wrong way to hike because what's right and wrong is completely dependent on the terrain one will be in and the weather one will encounter. The equipment I use would not be appropriate for most winter hiking in the mountains. In Ms. Sotelo's case, although we're starting to get more details about her attire and what she had in her pack, I'm still finding the details pretty thin so although it appears based on what we've been told so far that she was not prepared for the hike she planned, without more facts we're just speculating.

For example, in the last 24 hours it has emerged that she had a pack with a water bladder and some food items. How do we know she didn't have a headlamp in that pack? It hasn't been reported that she did, but unless her Mom packed her pack we don't know for a fact what was in that pack. Was a compass in there? Map? Lighter? Battery pack to recharge her phone? Knife? Any first aid supplies? Only the person who packed that pack, which I assume was Emily, would know for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back