NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Schools aren't allowed by law to do that.

If she stayed at home during the college breaks, they would have that phone number listed as a contact number for her, regardless of the fact that her parents lived there aswell. If they couldn't reach her on her cell, I'm sure they would have rung that number to get hold of her. Which would have alerted her family- even *if* the college did not disclose the fact that she had left to her parents.

If she stayed at home during the college breaks, they would have that phone number listed as a contact number for her, regardless of the fact that her parents lived there aswell. If they couldn't reach her on her cell, I'm sure they would have rung that number to get hold of her. Which would have alerted her family- even *if* the college did not disclose the fact that she had left to her parents.

Perhaps...but AFAIK colleges/universities don't babysit the students that much. If they just stop showing up to class no one tries to contact the student. Student just takes a fail. BUT since she was living on campus perhaps the dorm people (at the least her dormmate) would have raised some sort of alarm.

Perhaps...but AFAIK colleges/universities don't babysit the students that much. If they just stop showing up to class no one tries to contact the student. Student just takes a fail. BUT since she was living on campus perhaps the dorm people (at the least her dormmate) would have raised some sort of alarm.

I agree. I'm mainly referring to what would happen if she actually told them she was dropping out of the program- then they would definitely have procedures to follow.

(Although, I have no experitse or even knowledge on this matter)

but keep in mind that Maura (I don't believe) was just taking lecture-style classes at the time she went missing. She was in clinicals which I would assume would warrant more notice if a student just didn't show up as opposed to a student not showing up for a lecture that has 100's of students present.

If someone plans on disappearing, why bother contacting anyone. A death in the family is something you use to get away for a few days at most.

Although that is possible, why even say that? Why not just say that she was dropping out of the program? Then no one would be looking for her except family- when family eventually discovered she was missing. People drop out of college all the time, and out of various programs. I think IIRC there is something like a 50% college drop out rate.

Maybe to her type a personality "dropping out" just wasn't something she could bring herself to technically do.

If someone plans on disappearing, why bother contacting anyone. A death in the family is something you use to get away for a few days at most.

If you mean in regards to letting her professors and employers know, she was presumably buying lead time.

If you mean in regards to letting her professors and employers know, she was presumably buying lead time.

Maybe. I do find the directions to Burlington interesting, and that she listened to some information on Stowe.

That she planned to disappear isn't totally out there.

I always thought she was picked up by someone and harmed, but I'm starting to wonder about how likely that would be.

Still not sure what to think.:waitasec:

Maybe. I do find the directions to Burlington interesting, and that she listened to some information on Stowe.

That she planned to disappear isn't totally out there.

I always thought she was picked up by someone and harmed, but I'm starting to wonder about how likely that would be.

Still not sure what to think.:waitasec:

I always felt that Burlington, The Berkshires, and the White Mountains, all held significance concerning Maura's directions, because those were all three locations she had been to fairly recently with her father hiking. They averaged three different 4,000 foot hikes a day in October of 2003 over the course of a three-day weekend. This was just four months before maura went missing.

It has been reported that she and her father went to:
Owl's Head, West Bond, (White Mountains area),
Camel's Hump, Mt. Mansfield (Burlington area),
Mt. Greylock (Not 100 percent if they hit this or not in the Berkshires area) but this mountain is considered to have the tallest point in the whole state of Massachusetts. And Fred had just wrapped up his 48th summit (reaching the top of a mountain) that weekend, so I would lean towards the fact that they hit Mt. Greylock as well. Again not fact though.

Interesting note about Owl's Head, which they in fact were on.

Owl's Head — is located in the western lobe of the Pemigewasset Wilderness, just east of Franconia Notch. Access is easiest from the south, using the Lincoln Woods trailhead on the Kancamagus Highway (rte 112). Rte 112 crosses Interstate 93 in the town of Lincoln. Rte. 112 is of course what Maura was on when she went missing.

Now I know none of that proves anything, but I don't think it's some nutty conspiracy either to link maura's directions together.

In my personal opinion, I think she was torn on which one of these three places to go (White Mountains, Burlington, The Berkshires) and I think at the last moment she went to the White Mountains.

But again, that is just a theory.

I always felt that Burlington, The Berkshires, and the White Mountains, all held significance concerning Maura's directions, because those were all three locations she had been to fairly recently with her father hiking. They averaged three different 4,000 foot hikes a day in October of 2003 over the course of a three-day weekend. This was just four months before maura went missing.

It has been reported that she and her father went to:
Owl's Head, West Bond, (White Mountains area),
Camel's Hump, Mt. Mansfield (Burlington area),
Mt. Greylock (Not 100 percent if they hit this or not in the Berkshires area) but this mountain is considered to have the tallest point in the whole state of Massachusetts. And Fred had just wrapped up his 48th summit (reaching the top of a mountain) that weekend, so I would lean towards the fact that they hit Mt. Greylock as well. Again not fact though.

Interesting note about Owl's Head, which they in fact were on.

Owl's Head — is located in the western lobe of the Pemigewasset Wilderness, just east of Franconia Notch. Access is easiest from the south, using the Lincoln Woods trailhead on the Kancamagus Highway (rte 112). Rte 112 crosses Interstate 93 in the town of Lincoln. Rte. 112 is of course what Maura was on when she went missing.

Now I know none of that proves anything, but I don't think it's some nutty conspiracy either to link maura's directions together.

In my personal opinion, I think she was torn on which one of these three places to go (White Mountains, Burlington, The Berkshires) and I think at the last moment she went to the White Mountains.

But again, that is just a theory.

Are you thinking suicide???

When driving down 302, before the turn off to 112, is there a sign? As is a sign saying which town you reach by heading east on 112?

Are you thinking suicide???

After first thinking she succumbed to the elements, the more digging and research I did, led me to believe she took her own life.

But that is just a theory.

I think much of the alcohol she bought was to get plastered that monday night in a hotel room. I think she would've wrote a note that night and headed on a trail early Tuesday morning.

But the wreck obviously/most likely (changed/accelerated) her plans no matter what theory one believes IMO.

When driving down 302, before the turn off to 112, is there a sign? As is a sign saying which town you reach by heading east on 112?

I have only traveled Maura's believed route once and that was in the summer of 2011. I live in the midwest, so I don't make it to New Hampshire very often. I remember taking the 302 into wells river and being signs that directed you towards littleton and Rt. 112. I could swear as I first got on Rt. 112, that I came across a Welcome to the White Mountains sign, but others (locals) have disputed that. I know I saw a Welcome to the White Mountains sign and I could swear it was when I first turned onto Rt. 112.

Wells Rivers is a typical small town which had a dunkins donut, gas stations and some restaurants right there.

When you turn onto 112 is when you immediately start feeling like you are leaving civilization and heading deep into the woods. There isn't much but houses and woods for the first few miles before you start to get the area that maura had her wreck. (or least as I recall).

I found out that answer just for you Fireweed. :giggle:

There is a sign right at the turn.

When you are on the 302 coming from Wells River you turn right to get onto Rt. 112 and the sign at the turn says Rt. 112 East at the top then it lists three towns Swiftwater (2 miles), N. Woodstock (20 miles) and Lincoln (24 miles) each with an arrow sign telling you to turn right from the 302 onto 112 east.

Just guestimating, but Maura's wreck was past swiftwater and about 16 miles short of N. Woodstock.

I agree with Scoops with regards to Maura planning to spend the night somewhere. Evidence of this can be found in the items recovered from her car - a bag containing some toiletries and a stuffed animal.

I also think the stuffed animal might work against the 'driving in tandem' theory. If she wanted the stuffie, then why take it all the way to the second crash, then when her accomplice picks her up, decide to leave it behind? Unless it's an extremely large stuffed animal, they don't take up that much room and should be easy to carry into another car with you...

10 years later, mystery of Maura Murray persists
Father desperate to know what happened to daughter

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/sp...4311420/-/10wrjfyz/-/index.html#ixzz2sYFo34iE

Some snips from above link:

"I have been asking for the FBI for 10 years to enter the case," he said. "I am still asking as I sit here right now to enter the case. It is the only way this will be solved."

"The case has been investigated by the Attorney General's Office and the state police," Strelzin said. "There hasn't been a need to bring in another agency full time, although the FBI has lended assistance in the past."

and

That night, police cleared the scene one hour and 40 minutes after arriving. Fred Murray thinks they waited too long to start a full search, something neighbors agree with.

"There was no one looking for her along the roadway during the daylight hours for several days," Foley said. "I never saw anyone come down this way, not ever."

"I want to know what happened in the first 36 hours," Fred Murray said. "I want to know what the state police officer at the scene did."

I have only traveled Maura's believed route once and that was in the summer of 2011. I live in the midwest, so I don't make it to New Hampshire very often. I remember taking the 302 into wells river and being signs that directed you towards littleton and Rt. 112. I could swear as I first got on Rt. 112, that I came across a Welcome to the White Mountains sign, but others (locals) have disputed that. I know I saw a Welcome to the White Mountains sign and I could swear it was when I first turned onto Rt. 112.

Wells Rivers is a typical small town which had a dunkins donut, gas stations and some restaurants right there.

When you turn onto 112 is when you immediately start feeling like you are leaving civilization and heading deep into the woods. There isn't much but houses and woods for the first few miles before you start to get the area that maura had her wreck. (or least as I recall).
There is a small white sign with green lettering that says "you are entering the white mountains region" and when you actually enter the white mountain national forest there is a big brown state park sign saying so. I am a local also so I'm not sure why a local would deny this. The dunkin donuts is in woodsville, nh. Wells river is in Vermont just across the big green bridge over the Connecticut river from woodsville. Everything else is as you say. :)

Well, as far as we know, this all happened in the state of New Hampshire and no federal laws were broken, so it makes sense that the FBI would not be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smash5070