NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i wrote a whole long reply to this a couple weeks back and WS ate it up, then life got busy. I hesitate to to dig this up again, but i really want to reiterate that parking in front of the building she was working at, or her dorm, was NOT possible for longer than, say, 15 minutes.... maybe 30 if the parking people were somehow busy elsewhere. seriously, they were ou for blood... also, even if the car was waiting outside the door, stashing a car used in a hit & run in a non-obvious place and getting back to work would have taken way longer than her break allowed. it really, truly would have.

so the only way it's possible that she was the driver in that crime is if she had someone else in the car with her who immediately helped her cover it up and managed to keep that secret.

i agree there is a lot going on here that we don't know, but with the knowledge i have of the area and what was on local minds at the time, i am 99.99999999% sure she had nothing to do with that particular crime.

and yes, this is the short version of my reply :)

So you're saying that there wasn't reserved parking available for her to use while she was working her security job?

Honestly, I really dont think her disappearance was that calculated. ALL of her actions prior to leaving were impulsive, including her coping mechanisms, and dont indicate to me a mind that was clear, with a well thought out plan. She had 2 car crashes in the space of 3 days, she didnt hide her internet searches, she was drinking. The days prior to her disappearance have a desperate, chaotic quality to me that makes me think something snapped inside of her. She was operating on raw instinct and emotion, not her rational brain. I think she was at crisis point.

You're right I was just pointing out that the Vasi angle can fit if you want it to. Judging by her lapses leading up to her disappearance I don't think she would have successfully been able to stay off the radar for this long. I think her body is in those mountains and just hasn't been discovered.

You're right I was just pointing out that the Vasi angle can fit if you want it to. Judging by her lapses leading up to her disappearance I don't think she would have successfully been able to stay off the radar for this long. I think her body is in those mountains and just hasn't been discovered.

I really dont know what to think about Vasi. There have been so many conflicting reports (eg. I read somewhere that an unknown female was ringing the hospital asking about his progress etc). I think its awful that no searches have been conducted in the white mountains - is it really *that* dangerous? Maura wasnt even wearing hiking boots :(

So then either way she must have really hated Billy. Even if the Vasi angle were true, Maura seemingly had no problem letting Billy suffer a lifetime of guilt thinking that he was the "cause" of her disappearance. Seems cruel to me.

I think both were true. Imnsho, she was having huge Billy problems, and each accident, starting with Vasi (whether she was the driver or car lender), pushed her closer to the breaking point. Everyone has one. Some people are just lucky enough to never find out what theirs' is. When FM hit her with the big "you let me down" barrage, she broke.

She left that email because Billy and his behaviour was the root and source of her pain.

I really dont know what to think about Vasi. There have been so many conflicting reports (eg. I read somewhere that an unknown female was ringing the hospital asking about his progress etc). I think its awful that no searches have been conducted in the white mountains - is it really *that* dangerous? Maura wasnt even wearing hiking boots :(

Her cell phone also called a business owned by his landlord after the accident.

Her car was definitely in an accident before she left UMass. So another car accident, her drinking, an upsetting phone call from inside the school, Vasi, calls to the hospital from an unknown female, her call to his landlord. Circumstantially it certainly is interesting.

Her cell phone also called a business owned by his landlord after the accident.

Her car was definitely in an accident before she left UMass. So another car accident, her drinking, an upsetting phone call from inside the school, Vasi, calls to the hospital from an unknown female, her call to his landlord. Circumstantially it certainly is interesting.

Could you please link where you got this information from? Thanks.

That is a great point, and I agree.

It reminds me of Michelle Whitaker's disappeared episode, the detective said that after being missing for a while, the family and LE both believed MW must be dead because the way her lifestyle had been leading up to the disappearance it seemed unlikely she would not have been picked up by LE at some point. In actuality, MW apparently did clean up her life and start living responsibly. Was never again picked up by LE for her drinking or behavior and was eventually found safe by someone recognizing her picture.

In Maura's case, I just don't think it is likely. Maura seemed to be struggling with possible mental illness including an eating disorder, and an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Additionally, she was lying, experiencing big swings in emotion, and seemed to be flirting with petty criminal behavior (credit card theft). Add on top of those internal struggles- the stress Maura endured of performing in a rigorous nursing program, her relationship with Billy who I believe was cheating, and the pressures Fred seemed to place on Maura to reach her potential. All of this at her young age; the age when mental and emotional difficulties often begin to rear their ugly heads. I really believe Maura was in a downward spiral and I just don't see her turning it all around on a dime and flying under the radar for all these years.

That is a great point, and I agree.

It reminds me of Michelle Whitaker's disappeared episode, the detective said that after being missing for a while, the family and LE both believed MW must be dead because the way her lifestyle had been leading up to the disappearance it seemed unlikely she would not have been picked up by LE at some point. In actuality, MW apparently did clean up her life and start living responsibly. Was never again picked up by LE for her drinking or behavior and was eventually found safe by someone recognizing her picture.

In Maura's case, I just don't think it is likely. Maura seemed to be struggling with possible mental illness including an eating disorder, and an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Additionally, she was lying, experiencing big swings in emotion, and seemed to be flirting with petty criminal behavior (credit card theft). Add on top of those internal struggles- the stress Maura endured of performing in a rigorous nursing program, her relationship with Billy who I believe was cheating, and the pressures Fred seemed to place on Maura to reach her potential. All of this at her young age; the age when mental and emotional difficulties often begin to rear their ugly heads. I really believe Maura was in a downward spiral and I just don't see her turning it all around on a dime and flying under the radar for all these years.

Good point, though I could also see Maura getting much better after ditching her life of stress and external expectations. As someone who has struggled with alcoholism and an eating disorder, I can attest that both things are heavily triggered by outside pressures. It is not like those disorders exist in a vacuum. Speaking from my own personal experience, I could easily see a young woman with those issues instantly getting better once all those major life stresses disappeared. And even the stealing (used to order food), seemed connected enough to her eating disorder that overcoming that might put an end to criminal activities.

Good point, though I could also see Maura getting much better after ditching her life of stress and external expectations. As someone who has struggled with alcoholism and an eating disorder, I can attest that both things are heavily triggered by outside pressures. It is not like those disorders exist in a vacuum. Speaking from my own personal experience, I could easily see a young woman with those issues instantly getting better once all those major life stresses disappeared. And even the stealing (used to order food), seemed connected enough to her eating disorder that overcoming that might put an end to criminal activities.

I always remember something Russell Brand said when asked about his alcohol/drug addictions, he said: "I dont have a problem with drink and drugs, I have a problem dealing with reality". Pretty much sums it up for me- I think Maura used alcohol to deal with her unbearable reality. Eating disorders are usually about control and Maura had very little of that, it seems. So from that point of view, I would imagine a huge pressure would have been lifted from her by getting away. On the other hand, for someone like Maura, who has been conditioned from a young age to experience guilt when not living her life according to her family's wishes, I would imagine that this would be a very heavy burden to carry. If she is alive, she missed her mother's funeral. She's seen her father wringing his hands on television and searching up and down the road where she disappeared. It can take years of therapy to throw off a dysfunctional childhood. If Maura is out there, I would guess that she is living her life in her own way and enjoying the freedom of that, but I would imagine that emotionally, she is still quite damaged.

Thanks for the bravery and honesty in offering that perspective, Fireweed.

I thought maybe the pizza she used the stolen credit card for was for a binge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought maybe the pizza she used the stolen credit card for was for a binge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly think it could have been. I can only speak to my own experience, but a binge-purge episode almost always happens late in the day or at night. I think it is the build-up of all the day's events and then need to feel that "release." Since Maura was a bit of a night owl, it makes sense to me that she would do that at 1 or 2 in the morning.

I think what happened to Dr. Teleka Patrick happened to Maura. I think she fled on foot and died in the wilderness either from a fall, alcohol poisoning, or the elements.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I think what happened to Dr. Teleka Patrick happened to Maura. I think she fled on foot and died in the wilderness either from a fall, alcohol poisoning, or the elements.

But Teleka was suffering from severe mental illness for her to wander in the bad weather and act irrationally. Do we know if Maura had severe mental illness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But Teleka was suffering from severe mental illness for her to wander in the bad weather and act irrationally. Do we know if Maura had severe mental illness?

I don't know if she had severe mental illness. We do know she made some bad choices, got in to car accidents, had an overbearing father, and was likely under a lot of stress. Many people have taken their lives under less stress and no apparent sign of mental problems.

I don't know if she had severe mental illness. We do know she made some bad choices, got in to car accidents, had an overbearing father, and was likely under a lot of stress. Many people have taken their lives under less stress and no apparent sign of mental problems.

I have often wondered how "sick" Maura was at the time she disappeared. All that reckless driving points to very distracted and stressed mind to me. I do not think it was the alcohol that caused the accidents; I think it was a stressed out brain.

I'm not sure it's a bad decision to walk away from a car if you've wrecked it and are drinking (if she was drinking at the time). I think that's actually pretty good, sound decision making.

It's hard to tell what happened after that, but avoiding a DWI by getting out of the car and walking away is pretty smart.

I still think whoever stuffed that rag in her exhaust pipe is the person who knows what happened to her.

I have often wondered how "sick" Maura was at the time she disappeared. All that reckless driving points to very distracted and stressed mind to me. I do not think it was the alcohol that caused the accidents; I think it was a stressed out brain.

So you're saying that there wasn't reserved parking available for her to use while she was working her security job?

not then. there were several reserved spots but they were for handicapped spaces, UMass police and/or maintenance people and the residential staff who had apartments in the dorms - usually each dorm/dorm cluster had 3 to 4 full time staff members living in the buildings. these people were usually required to be on campus at night to deal with issues. these spots had specific permits and in those lots you were towed immediately if you took one of those spots.

fwiw, my friend who worked security remembered her supervisor driving to different dorms to check up on workers but said that as a regular ID checker that was not an option for her, and her supervisor never stayed parked out front longer than 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000