NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
College campuses are extremely strict about parking. If you ever lived on campus or even went to college you would be aware of this. You cannot park "illegally" on a college campus. You will cited almost immediately. If you do not pay the citation, they will add it to your student account, and if you do not pay it, then they will not release your transcripts to you until you do. Again, parking at a dorm on a college campus is a different animal than anywhere else.

actually no its not a different animal at all there is not one bit of difference there are no special laws set aside for parking at a school same law same fines everything the same ...and if what some are suggesting that she has a drinking problem or was leaving for good maybe suicidal your even more likely to care less and park where ever you want..

Maura Murray Cell Phone Calls
Thur Feb 5 ==== (Incoming) --- 7:17 p.m. to 7:37 p.m. (before her shift started)
Thur Feb 5==== (Outgoing) --- Amherst last four 9411 ---- 8:40 p.m. to 8:43 p.m.
Thur Feb 5 ====(Outgoing) --- New City, NY last four 8290 ---- 9:09 p.m.
Thur Feb 5 ====(Outgoing) --- New City, NY last four 8290 ---- 9:55 p.m.
Thur Feb 5 === (Incoming) --------- 9:56 p.m. to 10:02 p.m.
Thur Feb 5 = (Outgoing) --- Hanover, Ma last four 7271 --- 10:10 p.m. to 10:38 p.m.
Fri Feb 6 === (Outgoing) – New City, NY last four 8290 – 12:07 a.m. to 12:14 a.m.
Fri Feb 6 === (Outgoing) – Amherst last four 8911 ---- 3:40 a.m. to 3:42 a.m.

Domino’s Pizza --- Amherst, Ma (413) 256-8911
Rao’s Coffee --- Amherst, Ma (413) 253-9411
Hanover, Mass --- Confirmed number of Maura’s older sister

SBM & BBM
What is the source for the bolded call? I see that there once was a Rao's Coffee at 17 Kellogg Ave. which is just over 1,000 ft. from the intersection where Vasi was hit. That Rao's coffee had the phone number 413-253-9411.

In light of this, I am confused as to why people find it unlikely she might have been the one who hit Vasi. She might not have even gone to the coffee shop for food on her break. She very well might have just been going for coffee since she was working late. The phone call to the shop earlier in the night was possibly just to ask how late they are open.

IF Maura went to get coffee from this place on her break, the place where Vasi was hit absolutely could have been on her path of travel.

Here's a map I made: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zAclgItmytwc.kF8ZVo3tkRZU

Personally, I think MM's actions surrounding her disappearance show (IMO) someone who was using alcohol more as a coping method or was developing a problem. The fact that she was drinking alone on her way to wherever she was going (prior to the crash in NH) was a serious red flag to me. I grew up in WI, which unfortunately has some of the highest rates of DUI's, and while I know plenty of people who broke laws about open containers while drinking w. a group of people, I have never heard of someone hiding alcohol in a soda can and drinking on their way to a destination they've told no one about, when they've already had an accident that week, unless they have a SERIOUS problem or are seriously emotionally disturbed about something.

As for the parking on college campuses, I agree about parking illegally being taken very seriously. I didn't have a car on campus (mostly for that reason) but I had a friend who did and was extremely irresponsible about where he parked his car. In less than 2 years, he had it towed three times, the third time because he had over 800 dollars in unpaid parking tickets. Granted I did my undergrad in Chicago where they hand out parking tickets like candy, but if you illegally parked your car on any of the streets around campus, or in lots you didn't have permits to be in, you'd routinely come back to it w. 1 or 2 tickets on it, and the threat of being towed was always in the back of your mind. I imagine it's different in smaller towns and cities, but I can't imagine it's much different on any campus.

@zoosleuth- how many coffee shops do you know that are open after midnight? I know Starbucks is open 24 hours at some locations, but certainly not most locations. None of our local coffee shops around/on campus were open until midnight, even during finals week. The phone call was 3 minutes, a bit long for asking simply how late they are open. If they did deliver to the dorms, it seems like that phone call can reasonably be assumed to have been for coffee to be delivered to her station.

SBM & BBM
What is the source for the bolded call? I see that there once was a Rao's Coffee at 17 Kellogg Ave. which is just over 1,000 ft. from the intersection where Vasi was hit. That Rao's coffee had the phone number 413-253-9411.

In light of this, I am confused as to why people find it unlikely she might have been the one who hit Vasi. She might not have even gone to the coffee shop for food on her break. She very well might have just been going for coffee since she was working late. The phone call to the shop earlier in the night was possibly just to ask how late they are open.

IF Maura went to get coffee from this place on her break, the place where Vasi was hit absolutely could have been on her path of travel.

Here's a map I made: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zAclgItmytwc.kF8ZVo3tkRZU

The source is Maura's cell phone records, I have a copy of them for that particular night.

It seems like most all businesses would have Maura going that route (where the vasi hit and run took place), but it is also possible that UMASS students took different routes to get to the all the eating and drinking establishments that I wouldn't be privy too.

From what I could find, Rao's closes every night at 11 p.m., but that is their current hours, who knows if that was what they were in 2004.

She could've also known somebody that worked at the coffee establishment and was just calling them to chat, but the 3 minute length of the phone call is more consistent with someone placing some sort of order.

I believe Amherst (even back then) had some sort of delivery service where you could order stuff from the different establishments and an independent company would deliver them to wherever you were.

that would explain Maura ordering coffee or food just 40 minutes into her shift, because they likely would've delivered to her and she would not have had to leave her post.

But Maura could've very easily gone somewhere later in her shift and like others have pointed out, she may have stayed near her desk the whole night until her breakdown.

I have to admit, the location of Melville Dorm to the hit and run scene to Rao's is pretty errie on how they line up with one another.

But what does that all mean? I haven't a clue.

Well a lot of the people on here went to UMass. It is from personal experience that we know how hard it would be to park there. You can't park illegally at UMass for four hours and assume you'll get away with it.

As recently as yesterday, I was strongly considering the possibility that the lies and half-truths in this case all stemmed simply from Maura's family wanting her to be viewed as a missing person rather than a fugitive. Mulling this for the past day led me to reread Fred's police statement.

Fred Murray's statement to UMass police is inconsistent to say the least. He starts in talking about the car shopping, "We went to a place in Northampton that her boyfriend had good luck with." Who, Billy? Billy in Oklahoma? Billy who went to school at West Point, in New York? Fred knows that Billy is her boyfriend. He says they were going to get married. Maura sometimes stayed at Billy's mother's house over breaks. Where did he think she was on school holidays? Are we supposed to believe Billy just up and bought a car while visiting Maura on leave over a thousand miles from home? Or just happened into a Northampton car dealership on a scenic autumn day?
"Started to get dark. Came back to the Quality Inn (?) Hung around there for awhile. She exercised at the weight room." That makes sense, right? I always bring my workout clothes car shopping, because you never know when your dad is going to invite you to work out at the Quality Inn. Hope you brought a change of clothes for your imaginary dinner.

"We went to the ABC and had supper there. She got a call from Kate who had just returned from a track meet." Why on earth would anybody care where Kate came from? That is completely extraneous information that is designed to explain where Kate was and why they went to get her. "We went to a student parking lot and picked up Kate around 9:00." If Kate just came back from a track meet, shouldn't she have been on a bus? So is he saying they were meeting her at her car? Or that they just randomly chose the student lot as a meeting place? Makes sense, since there are only about a thousand better places to do that. It's also strange that he tells us what time he picked up Kate. It is the only event that night for which he provides a specific time, making this seem like a sensitive issue for him.

"I asked Maura to take me back to the Quality Inn. She instead had me pick up Kate and we went back to ABC to the upstairs." Okay, so who is driving here? Fred asking Maura to take him to the motel presumes she is driving. Maura having Fred pick up Kate presumes Fred is driving. Regardless, why tell us that he wanted to go back to the Quality Inn? This is more extraneous information. This statement isn't even a page long. Why waste a breath telling us that you didn't want to go to ABC when your daughter is missing and this is the only police department to whom you will give an interview? This makes it seem like he is trying to absolve himself of responsibility for something.

"I had two beers, Kate had a couple of beers, Maura had one drink (believe to be a black russian)." Fred had two beers, but Kate had a couple. These two words mean the same thing. He unexpectedly changes the language he uses to describe the same circumstance, without explanation. This is suspicious.

"I asked to be brought back to the Quality Inn." Seriously, again with this? Note he doesn't tell us that he was brought back to the Quality Inn, just that he asked.

"They were going back to the dorm. I said it was too late but they said it doesn't get started until late." So Fred told them it was too late to go back to the dorm? Surely that was the plan the entire time, the alternative being that Fred, Kate and Maura all sleep in Fred's motel room. Regardless of the girls' plans to party, a trip back to the dorms would still be necessary to return Kate to campus. It makes no sense for Fred to have told them that it was too late to return to the dorms. That was clearly the plan all along anyway.

"Maura was in bed when I woke up around 10:00 a.m. Maura woke around 10:30. She told me about the accident." Is that so? I remember when she was the one who woke him up. “Sunday morning, uh, Maura woke me up. She, uh, she had come back, you know, uh, during the night,and uh, told me that she’d had an accident in my car” (5:14 in the Disappeared broadcast, available on Youtube). So did she wake him up or was she still asleep when he woke in the morning? Why did she have a key card? How did she get into his hotel room without waking him, if his UMPD statement is true. She made three phone calls from his cell phone. Did she stay in his room while she called? Or open and close the door again to go into the hall? Neither of these things woke him up?

Then Fred talks and talks and talks about the insurance claim. Didn't know if he had insurance for her, tried to get a free loaner, rental cars, talking to the concierge, looking for a Toyota place. This patently useless information comprises almost 50% of the only statement Fred Murray ever gave to police about his daughter's disappearance. In this interview, this insurance claim is the only thing that is on Fred Murray's mind.

"I called Maura on Sunday around 8:30 or 9:00 about insurance and getting reports at police department. I was sure she would call because she wouldn't let me down again." So she crashed his car, promises she will call him about insurance and then doesn't? And he doesn't try to call her? As a parent, wouldn't you be angry? He is expecting a call from his daughter that never comes, and the last time he saw her she was "whimpering in the car." As a parent, wouldn't you be concerned? Wouldn't you call?

At the end of his statement, police asked Fred Murray "Did you go to Liquors 44 with the girls? At first he stated no, then he thought about it and said 'I am unsure if I did if it was before or after ABC. I think it was after ABC. I can remember the girls walking around looking for wine and telling them to just pick something.'" His first response is a denial that he went to Liquors 44. Next, he says I am unsure if I did if it was before or after ABC. Now he doesn't know whether or not he went to Liquors 44, and if he did, he doesn't know when. But he can remember the girls walking around picking out wine. If he can remember that, shouldn't he be sure that he went to Liquors 44? Regardless, why is this such a vague memory for him? Isn't this the last night he ever saw his daughter alive? He doesn't want to admit that they went to Liquors 44 because it suggests that they drank more alcohol that night than the drinks they consumed at ABC.

Consider how much more reasonable this scenario is than the one that Fred offered:

Instead of Maura and Fred eating dinner at the ABC, then picking Kate up in a student lot, then returning to ABC for drinks, the three of them are drinking at the ABC (or somewhere else) for most of the night. Either before or after ABC, they go to Liquors 44 and purchase alcohol.

Then Fred drives the girls back to the dorm. This makes so much more sense. First of all, the girls had obviously always planned to return to the dorm. The only alternative was for both of them to sleep in Fred's motel room. The reason that Fred offered for their return was that they wanted to party. He clearly insinuates this when he claims that they told him "it doesn't get started until late." This is the dorm room party where nobody remembers a single guest. Think about that. This isn't a house party or a frat party. This alleged party happened in a dorm room. How do you find yourself inside your dorm room with strangers? If you did indeed invite strangers into your dorm room, wouldn't finding out their names be the first thing you did? This party never happened. Fred simply dropped the girls off at the dorm after a night of drinking, like they had planned from the beginning of the night.

Then Fred drives back to his hotel room. For years we have been speculating about what would make Maura leave her dorm room in the middle of the night, after she had been drinking, to drive to her father's hotel room. We wonder about this because this is a very, very suspicious story. Maura goes to a party with some invisible guests, then leaves for her father's motel. It makes much more sense that Fred would drop off the girls, and then drive back to the motel himself. And I think this is exactly what happened.

Fred crashed the Corolla on his way back to the motel. He was drunk, and worried not only about a DUI arrest (we should check to see if he has a prior one), but that he would be on the hook for $8,000 in damages to his car, since insurance won't pay out in a DUI accident. He would also have to consider the possible ramifications of a DUI arrest on his job. He called Maura, who he knew was more sober. Maura went to the scene of the accident. It is one mile from her dorm room, and her building is visible from the crash site. She wouldn't even have to drive, she could have gotten there on foot in under ten minutes. Fred left Maura there to take responsibility for the crash, perhaps telling her that if he was arrested for DUI, he would lose his job and have to pay for the damage to the car himself. There wouldn't be enough money left for school.

Fred could have driven Maura's Saturn from the scene, or she could have given him her keys and he could have walked less than a mile to Lot 22, where there is almost no doubt she would have been mandated to park as a resident of the southwest dorm clusters. Maura got a ride to the motel with the tow truck driver. It makes sense that Fred took the Saturn to the motel. For all of the questions he claimed to have asked the concierge about finding a rental car, he never claimed that he asked her for a place that will deliver a rental car. Perhaps he found one that did, but it seems like they drove to the rental place. That would make sense if the Saturn were at the motel.

This explains why he did not call Maura to pressure her about the accident report. It explains the mysterious party with no guests. It explains why Maura would leave her dorm in the middle of the night to go to her father's hotel room (she wouldn't). It explains why Fred told two different stories about whether Maura was asleep when he woke up or if she was the one who woke him up. It explains why he lied about going to Liquors 44. It explains why Fred would help her leave the state. It explains why he was so deceptive in his statement to UMPD, and why he refused to sit down with other investigators for two years (and showed up with two lawyers). It explains why Fred says things like "nothing that happened before the crash matters" and "her plans changed'' and why the family has spent so much time trying to derail any investigation into what happened before the New Hampshire accident. It explains the palpable guilt we feel from Fred Murray, guilt that has been attributed to unsubstantiated things like how hard he was on her or that he may have abused her.

I think that Law Enforcement knows this. I think Fred Murray knows that they know this. It explains why LE stated in court testimony that they had leads, and that there was a high probability of this case resulting in charges. I think this is why Fred Murray so badly wanted to know what Law Enforcement knew, and why private investigators stop working with him. It explains why the Hadley police report has never been released.

I think there is a serious likelihood that Fred Murray crashed the Corolla.

Of course, this is just a theory, but in case anybody thinks it's unfair to accuse him of this, I will point out that I think his inconsistent statements regarding whether or not Maura was asleep when he woke up merit this suspicion in and of themselves. Inconsistencies like this can constitute probable cause for arrest. I would be incredibly dubious about getting two different stories from any person remotely associated with a crime or disappearance. It is a huge red flag and a cause for alarm.

Fred's inconsistent statements aren't probable cause to get him arrested for anything other than some form of obstruction of justice, if that. Anything he said in Disappeared isn't an official statement (even if it probably was closer to the truth than his police statement). Even if police do suspect him of a DUI or reckless driving, the statute of limitations has long since run out on those.

As for the testimony that the records had to be sealed because the case was likely to lead to charges, that's a pretty common response to records requests and could have to do with charges completely unrelated to MM. I mentioned this much earlier on the thread, but an example would be if investigators checked out leads on suspicious people in the area, and during the investigation of said person, they discovered they were selling illegal drugs out of their house. By making MM's case public record, they would be compromising that investigation into drugs. LE also likes to keep things unknown from the public to use during polygraph questioning as well as a filter to determine which leads are credible and which aren't.

I don't think there's any evidence that FM crashed the car in Hadley. That crash happened in the early morning hours, why would FM still be driving around hours after dropping MM off at the dorms? Furthermore, why would FM put his daughter at risk of getting a citation and having charges brought against her on the credit card fraud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think FM's statements are suspect, but I don't think it's because he was making his daughter take the fall and smuggling her out of state on that charges that were never filed on her. Even if that was his original plan, what would be the point of sticking to that story, once the statute of limitations had run and he would no longer face charges?

My belief is FM is reluctant to discuss any events before the disappearance because they would point to her erratic behavior and fragile emotional state. I don't for a second believe he and MM were just sleeping at his hotel, especially since she was calling BR at all hours from FM's phone. My guess is FM saw how distraught MM was about whatever she was upset about, and feels guilt about not doing enough to help her. His initial belief was that MM went up to the white mountains to commit suicide, and somehow the local dirtbag theory developed days later. I think FM knew police thought she was in the area to harm herself and knew it wouldn't get the priority a case with foul play would, so he changed the story to keep police focus on the case. Why would he make

@carpanthers. Thank you, that is a great analysis and theory. Over the years, everyone here has scratched their head over why Maura had Fred's car. It makes no sense at all of course. So Fred crashes his car, and calls Maura to come with the saturn and say that she crashed it?

BTW, "two drinks" is the liar's number of drinks. Everyone who has had too much to drink always says they had "two drinks". I suspect he had a lot more than two drinks.

@carpanthers. Thank you, that is a great analysis and theory. Over the years, everyone here has scratched their head over why Maura had Fred's car. It makes no sense at all of course. So Fred crashes his car, and calls Maura to come with the saturn and say that she crashed it?

BTW, "two drinks" is the liar's number of drinks. Everyone who has had too much to drink always says they had "two drinks". I suspect he had a lot more than two drinks.

I have speculated that it was Fred who maybe had too much to drink and therefore the girls were forced to drive him back to his hotel that night. Maybe he was just too embarrassed to mention that in the statement to police, so that could explain his puzzled response.

As recently as yesterday, I was strongly considering the possibility that the lies and half-truths in this case all stemmed simply from Maura's family wanting her to be viewed as a missing person rather than a fugitive. Mulling this for the past day led me to reread Fred's police statement.

Fred Murray's statement to UMass police is inconsistent to say the least. He starts in talking about the car shopping, "We went to a place in Northampton that her boyfriend had good luck with." Who, Billy? Billy in Oklahoma? Billy who went to school at West Point, in New York? Fred knows that Billy is her boyfriend. He says they were going to get married. Maura sometimes stayed at Billy's mother's house over breaks. Where did he think she was on school holidays? Are we supposed to believe Billy just up and bought a car while visiting Maura on leave over a thousand miles from home? Or just happened into a Northampton car dealership on a scenic autumn day?
"Started to get dark. Came back to the Quality Inn (?) Hung around there for awhile. She exercised at the weight room." That makes sense, right? I always bring my workout clothes car shopping, because you never know when your dad is going to invite you to work out at the Quality Inn. Hope you brought a change of clothes for your imaginary dinner.

"We went to the ABC and had supper there. She got a call from Kate who had just returned from a track meet." Why on earth would anybody care where Kate came from? That is completely extraneous information that is designed to explain where Kate was and why they went to get her. "We went to a student parking lot and picked up Kate around 9:00." If Kate just came back from a track meet, shouldn't she have been on a bus? So is he saying they were meeting her at her car? Or that they just randomly chose the student lot as a meeting place? Makes sense, since there are only about a thousand better places to do that. It's also strange that he tells us what time he picked up Kate. It is the only event that night for which he provides a specific time, making this seem like a sensitive issue for him.

"I asked Maura to take me back to the Quality Inn. She instead had me pick up Kate and we went back to ABC to the upstairs." Okay, so who is driving here? Fred asking Maura to take him to the motel presumes she is driving. Maura having Fred pick up Kate presumes Fred is driving. Regardless, why tell us that he wanted to go back to the Quality Inn? This is more extraneous information. This statement isn't even a page long. Why waste a breath telling us that you didn't want to go to ABC when your daughter is missing and this is the only police department to whom you will give an interview? This makes it seem like he is trying to absolve himself of responsibility for something.

"I had two beers, Kate had a couple of beers, Maura had one drink (believe to be a black russian)." Fred had two beers, but Kate had a couple. These two words mean the same thing. He unexpectedly changes the language he uses to describe the same circumstance, without explanation. This is suspicious.

"I asked to be brought back to the Quality Inn." Seriously, again with this? Note he doesn't tell us that he was brought back to the Quality Inn, just that he asked.

"They were going back to the dorm. I said it was too late but they said it doesn't get started until late." So Fred told them it was too late to go back to the dorm? Surely that was the plan the entire time, the alternative being that Fred, Kate and Maura all sleep in Fred's motel room. Regardless of the girls' plans to party, a trip back to the dorms would still be necessary to return Kate to campus. It makes no sense for Fred to have told them that it was too late to return to the dorms. That was clearly the plan all along anyway.

"Maura was in bed when I woke up around 10:00 a.m. Maura woke around 10:30. She told me about the accident." Is that so? I remember when she was the one who woke him up. “Sunday morning, uh, Maura woke me up. She, uh, she had come back, you know, uh, during the night,and uh, told me that she’d had an accident in my car” (5:14 in the Disappeared broadcast, available on Youtube). So did she wake him up or was she still asleep when he woke in the morning? Why did she have a key card? How did she get into his hotel room without waking him, if his UMPD statement is true. She made three phone calls from his cell phone. Did she stay in his room while she called? Or open and close the door again to go into the hall? Neither of these things woke him up?

Then Fred talks and talks and talks about the insurance claim. Didn't know if he had insurance for her, tried to get a free loaner, rental cars, talking to the concierge, looking for a Toyota place. This patently useless information comprises almost 50% of the only statement Fred Murray ever gave to police about his daughter's disappearance. In this interview, this insurance claim is the only thing that is on Fred Murray's mind.

"I called Maura on Sunday around 8:30 or 9:00 about insurance and getting reports at police department. I was sure she would call because she wouldn't let me down again." So she crashed his car, promises she will call him about insurance and then doesn't? And he doesn't try to call her? As a parent, wouldn't you be angry? He is expecting a call from his daughter that never comes, and the last time he saw her she was "whimpering in the car." As a parent, wouldn't you be concerned? Wouldn't you call?

At the end of his statement, police asked Fred Murray "Did you go to Liquors 44 with the girls? At first he stated no, then he thought about it and said 'I am unsure if I did if it was before or after ABC. I think it was after ABC. I can remember the girls walking around looking for wine and telling them to just pick something.'" His first response is a denial that he went to Liquors 44. Next, he says I am unsure if I did if it was before or after ABC. Now he doesn't know whether or not he went to Liquors 44, and if he did, he doesn't know when. But he can remember the girls walking around picking out wine. If he can remember that, shouldn't he be sure that he went to Liquors 44? Regardless, why is this such a vague memory for him? Isn't this the last night he ever saw his daughter alive? He doesn't want to admit that they went to Liquors 44 because it suggests that they drank more alcohol that night than the drinks they consumed at ABC.

Consider how much more reasonable this scenario is than the one that Fred offered:

Instead of Maura and Fred eating dinner at the ABC, then picking Kate up in a student lot, then returning to ABC for drinks, the three of them are drinking at the ABC (or somewhere else) for most of the night. Either before or after ABC, they go to Liquors 44 and purchase alcohol.

Then Fred drives the girls back to the dorm. This makes so much more sense. First of all, the girls had obviously always planned to return to the dorm. The only alternative was for both of them to sleep in Fred's motel room. The reason that Fred offered for their return was that they wanted to party. He clearly insinuates this when he claims that they told him "it doesn't get started until late." This is the dorm room party where nobody remembers a single guest. Think about that. This isn't a house party or a frat party. This alleged party happened in a dorm room. How do you find yourself inside your dorm room with strangers? If you did indeed invite strangers into your dorm room, wouldn't finding out their names be the first thing you did? This party never happened. Fred simply dropped the girls off at the dorm after a night of drinking, like they had planned from the beginning of the night.

Then Fred drives back to his hotel room. For years we have been speculating about what would make Maura leave her dorm room in the middle of the night, after she had been drinking, to drive to her father's hotel room. We wonder about this because this is a very, very suspicious story. Maura goes to a party with some invisible guests, then leaves for her father's motel. It makes much more sense that Fred would drop off the girls, and then drive back to the motel himself. And I think this is exactly what happened.

Fred crashed the Corolla on his way back to the motel. He was drunk, and worried not only about a DUI arrest (we should check to see if he has a prior one), but that he would be on the hook for $8,000 in damages to his car, since insurance won't pay out in a DUI accident. He would also have to consider the possible ramifications of a DUI arrest on his job. He called Maura, who he knew was more sober. Maura went to the scene of the accident. It is one mile from her dorm room, and her building is visible from the crash site. She wouldn't even have to drive, she could have gotten there on foot in under ten minutes. Fred left Maura there to take responsibility for the crash, perhaps telling her that if he was arrested for DUI, he would lose his job and have to pay for the damage to the car himself. There wouldn't be enough money left for school.

Fred could have driven Maura's Saturn from the scene, or she could have given him her keys and he could have walked less than a mile to Lot 22, where there is almost no doubt she would have been mandated to park as a resident of the southwest dorm clusters. Maura got a ride to the motel with the tow truck driver. It makes sense that Fred took the Saturn to the motel. For all of the questions he claimed to have asked the concierge about finding a rental car, he never claimed that he asked her for a place that will deliver a rental car. Perhaps he found one that did, but it seems like they drove to the rental place. That would make sense if the Saturn were at the motel.

This explains why he did not call Maura to pressure her about the accident report. It explains the mysterious party with no guests. It explains why Maura would leave her dorm in the middle of the night to go to her father's hotel room (she wouldn't). It explains why Fred told two different stories about whether Maura was asleep when he woke up or if she was the one who woke him up. It explains why he lied about going to Liquors 44. It explains why Fred would help her leave the state. It explains why he was so deceptive in his statement to UMPD, and why he refused to sit down with other investigators for two years (and showed up with two lawyers). It explains why Fred says things like "nothing that happened before the crash matters" and "her plans changed'' and why the family has spent so much time trying to derail any investigation into what happened before the New Hampshire accident. It explains the palpable guilt we feel from Fred Murray, guilt that has been attributed to unsubstantiated things like how hard he was on her or that he may have abused her.

I think that Law Enforcement knows this. I think Fred Murray knows that they know this. It explains why LE stated in court testimony that they had leads, and that there was a high probability of this case resulting in charges. I think this is why Fred Murray so badly wanted to know what Law Enforcement knew, and why private investigators stop working with him. It explains why the Hadley police report has never been released.

I think there is a serious likelihood that Fred Murray crashed the Corolla.

Of course, this is just a theory, but in case anybody thinks it's unfair to accuse him of this, I will point out that I think his inconsistent statements regarding whether or not Maura was asleep when he woke up merit this suspicion in and of themselves. Inconsistencies like this can constitute probable cause for arrest. I would be incredibly dubious about getting two different stories from any person remotely associated with a crime or disappearance. It is a huge red flag and a cause for alarm.

I do believe that Fred wasn't happy with the way the investigation was going and that may have influenced his statement to police and why it seems inconsistent.

As far as the boyfriend getting a car reference, Billy as I understand it, visited UMASS often and would spend entire weekend's with Maura going hiking in the white mountains with her and shopping. So him purchasing a car in that area doesn't seem that unusual to me.

The dorm party only consisted of a handful of people (no strangers).

Sara Alfieri told a news reporter that the dorm party consisted of her, Maura, kate and a few friends.

It sounds to me that they may have been sara's friends and very possible that Kate may not have known them that well OR EVEN AT ALL.

Kate and sara, from what I can tell were ONLY friends because each knew Maura. Maura may have brought kate along to the dorm party and Kate may have not known the rest of the people there, that would explain why it seems like she can't recall who was at that dorm party. (Just IMO).

Keep in mind, Maura became friends with Kate through athletics while Maura met Sara through her job at an art gallery.

I have always just loved this "dorm party" that apparently not a single person except Kate and Sara knows about. There was no dorm party. At best Kate, Sara and Maura all hung out together, but no one has ever once come forward to say that they were at this party. I strongly suspect that it is just one more lie thrown on top of the pile of lies that smothers this case like a pile of filth.

Fred's inconsistent statements aren't probable cause to get him arrested for anything other than some form of obstruction of justice, if that. Anything he said in Disappeared isn't an official statement (even if it probably was closer to the truth than his police statement). Even if police do suspect him of a DUI or reckless driving, the statute of limitations has long since run out on those.

As for the testimony that the records had to be sealed because the case was likely to lead to charges, that's a pretty common response to records requests and could have to do with charges completely unrelated to MM. I mentioned this much earlier on the thread, but an example would be if investigators checked out leads on suspicious people in the area, and during the investigation of said person, they discovered they were selling illegal drugs out of their house. By making MM's case public record, they would be compromising that investigation into drugs. LE also likes to keep things unknown from the public to use during polygraph questioning as well as a filter to determine which leads are credible and which aren't.

I don't think there's any evidence that FM crashed the car in Hadley. That crash happened in the early morning hours, why would FM still be driving around hours after dropping MM off at the dorms? Furthermore, why would FM put his daughter at risk of getting a citation and having charges brought against her on the credit card fraud?

Why would he be "driving around?" The crash was on the way back to the motel. That is exactly where we would expect him to be if he dropped off the girls at the dorm. You don't know that Fred Murray even knew about Maura's credit card charges. Maybe she never told him. I agree that LE could have lots of reasons for what they said in court. Fred's inconsistent statements aren't probable cause to get him arrested for anything but obstruction? What about insurance fraud? Sure the statute of limitations might have run out now, but the court case happened two years after she disappeared. I think the statute of limitations for fraud in this state is 3 years meaning he would be quite eligible.

the Hadley car accident didn't happen until approx 3:30AM, what was FM doing until that time? From what I understand KM and MM dropped FM off at the hotel, then went to their "dorm party" which may or may not have happened. Regardless, they somehow got back to the dorm, (whether in FM's Corolla or MM's car) and were there doing something...or if they weren't, they got SA to later lie for them and say they were there. I agree that FM's story is somewhat inconsistent, but this just introduces far too many hypotheticals and people who would need to be quiet about what really happened, a decade after it happened. I agree that FM's statements are inconsistent, and I also agree this dorm party may never have happened, but IMO, there is no evidence anyone other than MM was driving that car when it crashed en route to the hotel.

Also, the statute of limitations starts running when the crime occurred. Even if they were somehow able to make the case for tolling the statute of limitations until the fraud was discovered, the court case happened in 2007, so the statute of limitations would have ran out in 2010. All we have from FM are statements that seem to be inconsistent w. the facts, LE hasn't released anything at this point that would suggest FM was under suspicion of insurance fraud, which is what they would need to bring to get probable cause for an arrest.

I have always just loved this "dorm party" that apparently not a single person except Kate and Sara knows about. There was no dorm party. At best Kate, Sara and Maura all hung out together, but no one has ever once come forward to say that they were at this party. I strongly suspect that it is just one more lie thrown on top of the pile of lies that smothers this case like a pile of filth.

It may be a stretch to call it a dorm party, but I just don't see why people don't believe this took place.

Both Sara and Kate described this get-together in separate interviews done for the Quincy Patriot Ledger Newspaper. Sara noted that she passed out very early on and it was Kate and who said that her and Maura each left around the same time.

It has been kate who has been kind of fuzzy trying to recall about who was at this dorm get together No?

But why would kate know Sara's friends that well, she was tagging along with Maura to Sara's dorm.

I highly doubt that sara and kate were good friends.

When Maura use to attend these UMASS track parties, I highly doubt Sara Alfieri was with her for those and the same can be said about some dorm get-together with Sara and her friends, Kate was likely not a regular at such get-togethers.

I will bet dollars to donuts that Maura didn't go to many parties in the first place, because her boyfriend visited her a lot and when her boyfriend wasn't with her for a weekend, it sounds like her father visited her a lot. So between two jobs and clinicals, Maura spent a lot of her free time with either her boyfriend or her father.

Her father has stated that he would visit (spend the weekend at UMASS) every other weekend.

I guess I just don't see what is so suspicious about this dorm get-together that both girls (sara and kate) each have gone on the record to talk about very early on.

@scoops- I tend to agree w. your thinking on this one...I wouldn't call it a "party", it was, IMO, just a small get together of girls who may have come and gone. I can certainly see KM being unable to name anyone at that party, particularly if she was drinking. If they weren't people she had met before and she had already been drinking, and definitely see it possible that she wouldn't remember their names, or who was all there. I can't see this "party" as being any more than a small gathering of girls drinking in the dorms. In my experience, people rarely had anything you could call a party in their dorms- people were constantly getting reprimanded for noise violations, so if there were actually parties going on, they were always off campus, in my experience. Maybe Amherst was different, but I always just interpreted the "dorm party" as 3 or 4 girls drinking together.

To save time and provide more information:

Here are the two accounts of that dorm get together that night (from one news article done for a true crime book in which Sara didn't talk but Kate did, while the other account comes from a newspaper article in which sara talked as well as kate).

You will notice that their account of the party lines up perfectly.

From the True Crime Seventeen Magazine Real Life Mysteries book:

"About an hour later, Maura arrived at her friend's Sara Alfieri's dorm room to hang out. For the next three hours, Maura, Sara and a couple of friends sat around talking and listening to music while drinking Skyy Malt mixed with a little bit of wine. A couple of times when their were pauses in the conversation, Maura mentioned that she wanted to return the car to her dad that night.

Kate: "It didn't make any sense. Why would Maura who'd had a few drinks and seemed tired, go to the trouble of driving all the way to her dad's hotel in the middle of the night? When she didn't need to?"

NOW ON TO THE NEWS ARTICLE DATED March 9, 2004, exactly one month after Maura went missing:

Quincy Patriot Ledger
By Joe McGee

Starting with an excerpt:

Alfieri says that (Kate) Markopoulos, Murray and a few friends were drinking into the late night hours of Feb 8.

(Later in the article)

At about 1 a.m., Alfieri said she was passed out from drinking. Markopoulos was still up with Murray and they were talking about going home at 2:30 a.m., but Murray wanted to go to her father's hotel.

Kate: "I told her to just go back to her room and meet him in the morning, but she wouldn't listen."

About an hour later, Murray cracked up her father's Toyota Corolla on Route 9. Alfieri found out the next week from news reports about her friend's disappearance.

Sara in her only public comments about Maura:

Sara: "I thought that was so weird. I talked to Maura (that Sunday) and she didn't even say anything."

Now everyone is wondering what they don't know about Maura. If Kate can't figure it out after three years of friendship, Markopoulos said nobody might ever know.

I'm not suggesting they arrest him, I'm just refusing to apologize for accusing him when he has made such damning statements.

Why would we expect LE release any information about Fred's potential fraud? We don't have any problem assuming they held other information from us. If Fred did crash Maura's car, this is material information about why she disappeared and they could have plenty of reasons for withholding it.

The people who would need to be quiet about this have indeed remained silent. There has been absolute radio silence from Fred, Kate and Sara about the weekend before she went to New Hampshire. The only other people who would need to remain silent are law enforcement, who have their own reasons for not releasing certain information, as we have well established.

Sara Alfieri's comment was actually that she was unconscious at the time, making her a pretty bad alibi witness even if we choose to believe that statement.

It's also been a decade since she disappeared, and they haven't released the report from that accident. The court found that it was material to their investigation and that releasing it could hamper them in solving the case. By contrast, we have the accident report from the scene of her New Hampshire crash, the one from which she actually disappeared. Law Enforcement would not necessarily tell the public about that, especially because of the potential nature for distraction, false leads, etc. We also don't know that if he did do it, Fred Murray hasn't come clean to law enforcement about this. He may very well have told them the truth about this, but it has not been released to the public, like many facts in this case. I don't see any reason that Fred Murray, after coming clean to law enforcement, would run to the media and the public and tell them that he crashed the Corolla and that it is his fault she ran away. He would be experiencing deep guilt and shame, and I see no reason to expect that he would seek the public's eye on these matters. It could even explain his frustration with Law Enforcement. He maybe felt that they suspected him, questioned his accounts. UMPD had to ask him if he went to Liquors 44; he never offered this information in his account of the night in question. His response bears out his nervousness at this question. Some accounts suggest that Fred Murray was behaving strangely in the early days of the search. Kathleen Murray's ex-husband has made some specific comments on this to the media. He does not know what happened to Maura, but he frequently expresses displeasure with the trajectory and focus of the investigation. Perhaps his displeasure stems from a belief that they were spending too much time focusing on him as a suspect because they suspected him in the first crash. I think the trail of statements from Fred Murray on camera, in police interviews, and in news articles bears out the guilt he feels about Maura's disappearance. I think this guilt goes beyond how he raised her or how he spoke to her the weekend before she disappeared. He feels materially responsible for her disappearance. His lies are lies of guilty knowledge. He is not trying to make Maura look better in his statement to UMPD, which is what we would expect if he were just trying to make her appear innocent and happy, like the kind of girl who wouldn't run away from her life or kill herself in the woods. Instead, he says he told her she had too much to drink, that she was lucky she didn't get a DUI. He lied over and over in his statement, but he didn't try to make her look better. He actually makes her look worse. She wasn't cited for drunk driving, but Fred wants it on the record that he thought she was drunk.
We don't know what law enforcement knows about that crash. We do know they won't tell us about it, although they did release the report from the later crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lala2242