NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best not to assume. There is nothing in the report that mentions the number of digits. He had to ask Maura what they were. For some reason they were not obviously phone numbers. Perhaps she had written the digits close together with no hyphens. Until we see the note card, it's hard to tell. The only number we know for certain was on that list of other numbers was a credit card number. The one she got busted for stealing.

This was never verified to be the victim and there are several people who post on my blog and this one who pretend to be people they are not. Regardless, if it was the victim, the police were unable to verify it came off the receipt in the trash. All they had was the credit card number on the notecard in Maura's room. If it was on the receipt, why not just keep the receipt?

If you mean forthcoming with LE then I think that is certainly possible and probably more likely than not. I see no reason why FM would share anything with Renner. Renner is essentially exploiting the Murray family's pain for his financial gain. I realize that he will argue he is a journalist but, in my opinion, he really has shifted beyond that. I also question, if he has crossed far enough over in some cases that a case could be made for defamation/libel. We won't likely see this but Renner's research seems so spotty that I think he would have a hard time proving a factual basis for his claims and good due diligence.

All my research is back up by exhaustive documents which are posted on the blog. You should really read through them. You'll learn a lot. What is not documented is backed up by recorded conversations and emails so, no, there's not much of a case for libel.

Who knows! Maybe Maura liked note cards, because she was organized. It seems awfully coincidental that Maura steals a credit card number, a dorm room on the note card leads them to a room down the hall, and it just happens that the girls friend (who also lived in Kennedy) had some unauthorized charges on her credit card. She stated she threw the receipt away with the discarded food in the trash room. The Federal Law to truncate credit card numbers wasn't passed until December 2003. It's reasonable the credit card number was on the receipt and Maura found it in the trash.

The comments and the way they're written seem to be legit also it's impossible to make out the name of the victim on the report but it appears she uses a first (Ann) and second name (Marie) and then her last.

Also there's nothing in the police report that says they weren't phone numbers.

But even if we say that the other numbers could be phone numbers, couldn't they just as easily be other credit card numbers?

If there is the potential that these numbers were other credit card numbers, then there is the possibility that the police were investigating potential fraud relating to these other numbers. This means it is possible that Maura was in more trouble than we may have thought.

But even if we say that the other numbers could be phone numbers, couldn't they just as easily be other credit card numbers?

If there is the potential that these numbers were other credit card numbers, then there is the possibility that the police were investigating potential fraud relating to these other numbers. This means it is possible that Maura was in more trouble than we may have thought.

No! At least that's my opinion. This should be one area that shouldn't be up for discussion and seen as fact. That's my opinion too. People want facts, and the fact is there's a police report and nothing in that police report or anywhere else suggests Maura had anything but that one credit card number. The note card is provided in the documents and it's not full of credit card numbers. I also think it's reasonable to assume the police can tell the difference between 11 numbers and 16 numbers. If there was another 16 digit number on the note card it would've been easy for the police to trace it to the owner and then question them to see if they know Maura.

People can be mislead by information provided as well as information omitted. In one of James latest blog posts about the Credit Card fraud is just not accurate.
1. It wasn't a pizza delivery sting. The order she received that night was from Pinochio's. So I guess it would be the Pinochio's delivery sting.
2. She said she got the receipt from the trash. (True)
3. The police looked at the receipt and the credit card number wasn't on it (True). What's omitted is the police determined the credit card number wasn't on the Pinochio's receipt from Maura's order that night. Maura then stated if it wasn't on that receipt then she found it on the domino's receipt. There's no reason to dispute this because the Federal Law wasn't passed until December 03.
4. The police asked for whatever she kept the number on (True). They noticed there were SEVERAL other numbers on there as well (False). They noticed other numbers, and Maura stated they were phone numbers or something like that.

If we can't believe police reports, court records etc then what can we believe and this is a perfect reason why SA and KM or Fred shouldn't talk because no matter what they say they'll be liars.

I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm some Maura Murray expert, because I'm not. I'll also concede James Renner knows much more about this case then me. I think he's wrong though when it comes to the credit card. There's proof that Maura lies, commits credit card fraud, but there's no proof that she used more than one card number to commit fraud.

No! At least that's my opinion. This should be one area that shouldn't be up for discussion and seen as fact. That's my opinion too. People want facts, and the fact is there's a police report and nothing in that police report or anywhere else suggests Maura had anything but that one credit card number. The note card is provided in the documents and it's not full of credit card numbers. I also think it's reasonable to assume the police can tell the difference between 11 numbers and 16 numbers. If there was another 16 digit number on the note card it would've been easy for the police to trace it to the owner and then question them to see if they know Maura.

People can be mislead by information provided as well as information omitted. In one of James latest blog posts about the Credit Card fraud is just not accurate.
1. It wasn't a pizza delivery sting. The order she received that night was from Pinochio's. So I guess it would be the Pinochio's delivery sting.
2. She said she got the receipt from the trash. (True)
3. The police looked at the receipt and the credit card number wasn't on it (True). What's omitted is the police determined the credit card number wasn't on the Pinochio's receipt from Maura's order that night. Maura then stated if it wasn't on that receipt then she found it on the domino's receipt. There's no reason to dispute this because the Federal Law wasn't passed until December 03.
4. The police asked for whatever she kept the number on (True). They noticed there were SEVERAL other numbers on there as well (False). They noticed other numbers, and Maura stated they were phone numbers or something like that.

If we can't believe police reports, court records etc then what can we believe and this is a perfect reason why SA and KM or Fred shouldn't talk because no matter what they say they'll be liars.

I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm some Maura Murray expert, because I'm not. I'll also concede James Renner knows much more about this case then me. I think he's wrong though when it comes to the credit card. There's proof that Maura lies, commits credit card fraud, but there's no proof that she used more than one card number to commit fraud.

I agree with you that the police could tell the difference between a phone number and a credit card number. That is why I find it suspicious that the report says that Maura told them they were phone numbers, instead of that they were phone numbers.

Pinochio's makes pizza to my knowledge.

Just because they weren't yet required by law to omit the numbers doesn't mean that they didn't. We don't know if Domino's ever printed complete credit card numbers on the receipt.

No! At least that's my opinion. This should be one area that shouldn't be up for discussion and seen as fact. That's my opinion too.
That's not how facts work.

Anyway, you say the notecard is in the docs and does not contain other credit card numbers. Again, this is false. The note card is in the docs, but all numbers on it have been whited out. We cannot see what they were.

James,

Exactly why should Kate, Sara, or any of the Murray's speak to you when you dispute everything even when it's in an official document, unleess it supports your theory that Maura is still alive? It would seem to me that not speaking to you would save them A LOT of aggravation. The report is quite clear, and you're trying to mislead facts in your post. Why don't you redo your blog so it reflects what actually happened the night the police caught Maura.

Anyways, we'll agree to disagree. You're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. You may have the last word.

This is how I stated it:

"At least one person also reported, to my recollection, seeing a red truck parked on Bradley Hill Rd. where a man may have been in the woods.

Personally, I am not yet convinced of the tandem driver. But if Renner is right, we have a video of Kathleen and her ex-husband standing in front of a red truck, just a few days after Maura went missing.

Here is the video:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...om=en-us_video

ETA Here is the link to Renner's blog post discussing the red truck. If you scroll through the comments, some attribute the red truck story to a local witness R.O. I don't know how much weight to give any of these comments.

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2012/03/red-truck.html"

Has somebody on here represented the red truck as a fact?

You are mixing red trucks.

First there was the red truck story from a Topix poster, Robinson Ordiway. She told a story of a red truck that drove slowly past her by the Stage Stop about 30 minutes before Maura's accident a mile up the road at the weathered barn. She felt like they were looking for someone. RO is a real person, unconnected to the accident in any way that can be determined. That is red truck #1 and may or may not be involved but I believe truly existed.

Second was reported sighting of a red truck parked on Bradley Hill Road with the driver or a passenger hanging out in the woods. This I believe is the made up one that Scoops is referring to and I also believe it to be untrue, but it makes for more drama so it continues to have legs. That's truck number 2.

People are constantly linking them as one in the same but they are not and as stated above, one truly existed, one there was never anything to corroborate and has never been mentioned by LE or any official source.

The comment--
Ann Marie February 6, 2014 at 7:32 AM
It was my credit card that she used. She took the numbers off of a receipt that was taped to a pizza box in our dorm trash room. After I reported the incident the bank credited me back the money immediately and I never though about it again until she went missing. I only knew who they caught because I happened to be outside her room when the police went in. Mr Renner is correct, it was several weeks before I noticed because she ordered food from all the same places I ate at until she finally ordered from a place that I had never been to before. Someone who lived on the same floor as her told me they thought she was bulimic. What a horrible, sad story. It's too bad her family and the people who love her haven't been able to get any closure after all these years.

Note the bolded area. Isn't she contradicting herself? They caught Maura before she went missing(obviously), so Ann Marie didn't notify her bank and forget about it. She notified her bank, the person was caught, then that person went missing. Am I reading that wrong? If not, it does not appear to be a truthful statement.

That's not how facts work.

Anyway, you say the notecard is in the docs and does not contain other credit card numbers. Again, this is false. The note card is in the docs, but all numbers on it have been whited out. We cannot see what they were.

I have always thought it odd that the report said that Maura "told" them they were phone numbers. Although I think if they suspected they were something else it would have said that in the report too. I do agree though that what they actually were cannot be considered fact unless we are able to see them, or they are identified in the police report. I am not sure why Ricochet is so adamant that they were not credit card numbers. Surely there is something else you can contend with James that is less open-ended.

BTW, Ricochet, why did you choose 11 numbers for a phone number to compare to the 16 on a credit card? Why not 7 (local), or 8 (local long distance), or 12 (international (I think)), 11 would be long distance, out of the area code.

It would be rather odd to put a credit card number used to only order food locally on a note card with long distance, out of the area code numbers. Conversely if they were 7 digit local numbers, it would be much more obvious they were phone numbers and they wouldn't have had to ask. However, if they were numbers written end to end and as stated above it could be 14,15,16,18,19 and 20 digits in addition to 7, 8 or 12. So why were 11 digit numbers your choice?

I have always thought it odd that the report said that Maura "told" them they were phone numbers. Although I think if they suspected they were something else it would have said that in the report too. I do agree though that what they actually were cannot be considered fact unless we are able to see them, or they are identified in the police report. I am not sure why Ricochet is so adamant that they were not credit card numbers. Surely there is something else you can contend with James that is less open-ended.

BTW, Ricochet, why did you choose 11 numbers for a phone number to compare to the 16 on a credit card? Why not 7 (local), or 8 (local long distance), or 12 (international (I think)), 11 would be long distance, out of the area code.

It would be rather odd to put a credit card number used to only order food locally on a note card with long distance, out of the area code numbers. Conversely if they were 7 digit local numbers, it would be much more obvious they were phone numbers and they wouldn't have had to ask. However, if they were numbers written end to end and as stated above it could be 14,15,16,18,19 and 20 digits in addition to 7, 8 or 12. So why were 11 digit numbers your choice?

Actually, if it is an 11 digit number, shouldn't it start with a 1? Most credit card numbers do not start with 1, right?

I'm pretty sure a credit card doesn't have 7 or 8 digits. I'm also fairly certain a credit card number doesn't begin with 0 so that would rule out international. A long distance call would begin with 1 and be 11 numbers, however to the best of my knowledge there isn't a credit card that begins with 1.

Show me an official document that states they were anything other than phone numbers or that Maura had other pending charges against her for credit card fraud, or that she was suspected of using additional credit card numbers.

Anyways, this is all I have to say on this topic unless something else can be provided. I'm content with agreeing to disagree rather than getting into a never ending pointless conversation.

I'm becoming more and more convinced the Murray's, KM, and SA have made the right decision not to talk to anyone outside of LE.

Yes but scoops, as far as I understand your theory, you seem to think that Maura was planning on killing herself Tuesday night (until plans changed after the crash). My point is that an adult can drop out of their life completely for two days without that being alarming enough to go looking for them.

Also, people who commit suicide do not plan it out like this. People who are on a mission to kill themselves do not give a darn about such small things; their minds are on something else.

The reason that I have always found your reasoning faulty is that there would not have been any repercussions to Maura if she were just going to kill herself! Why bother emailing anyone? She would have been dead by the time anyone even started to worry.

To me the emails point much more to Maura either intending on returning, or on her wanting at least week's head start.

BBM.

1. Not always true. Some people are very meticulous about it. Sadly, I know this because someone close to me killed themselves last year. Every last detail was arranged. There were signs letting us know where his body was, that we should be careful because there were chemicals other than exhaust fumes in the garage, what we should do with specific letters and specific items (books, hard drives of photos, ect) he had left for specific people, the phone number of his lawyer, where the current copy of his will was. This guy wasn't very organized when he was alive but he sure planned his death out carefully!

2. I do think you're both saying the same thing, that Maura wanted to buy herself some time with the emails. What I think you're disagreeing on is what she was going to do with that extra time. Am I right on that?

Okay, let's think about this for a minute. Maura was "missing" all of Monday. It was obviously not a big deal to her friends and family that they had not seen or heard from her for a day. This is my whole point: adults living away from home are not missed if they do not call or no one sees them for two or three days. It takes a while before that becomes worrisome.

I certainly agree that a packed up dorm room points to someone with no intentions of returning, but your leap from that to suicide has always been a big one to me. I definitely think suicide is a possibility here, but suicidal people are not concerned with missing class for two days, or people worrying about them or anything like that. They just take off and do their thing.

Again, the thought process of suicide victims is always guesswork. That said, I've never particularly leaned in the direction of Maura committing suicide. I don't know why. It just doesn't sit right with me.

About school on Monday. Hadn't classes been canceled because of snow? I think I remember reading that somewhere. So it's possible she wasn't really "missing" (my suspicion, considering her schedule the weekend before, is that she was maybe getting caught up on sleep) on Monday, from clinicals or anything else, because there weren't any.

Somebody able to confirm this or at least corroborate my memory?

The comment--
It was my credit card that she used. She took the numbers off of a receipt that was taped to a pizza box in our dorm trash room. After I reported the incident the bank credited me back the money immediately and I never though about it again until she went missing. I only knew who they caught because I happened to be outside her room when the police went in. Mr Renner is correct, it was several weeks before I noticed because she ordered food from all the same places I ate at until she finally ordered from a place that I had never been to before. Someone who lived on the same floor as her told me they thought she was bulimic. What a horrible, sad story. It's too bad her family and the people who love her haven't been able to get any closure after all these years.

Note the bolded area. Isn't she contradicting herself? They caught Maura before she went missing(obviously), so Ann Marie didn't notify her bank and forget about it. She notified her bank, the person was caught, then that person went missing. Am I reading that wrong? If not, it does not appear to be a truthful statement.

Yeah, I think you are, sorry. To me it makes total sense. She didn't really think about the credit card fraud (or Maura, who she knew had done it because she saw the police go into her room, presumably meaning she didn't hold a grudge toward her or anything) after it happened, because the bank gave her her money back. Then, when Maura went missing, she was all "Oh hey, that's the chick who stole my credit card. Weird."

That's how I read it, anyway.

Again, the thought process of suicide victims is always guesswork. That said, I've never particularly leaned in the direction of Maura committing suicide. I don't know why. It just doesn't sit right with me.

About school on Monday. Hadn't classes been canceled because of snow? I think I remember reading that somewhere. So it's possible she wasn't really "missing" (my suspicion, considering her schedule the weekend before, is that she was maybe getting caught up on sleep) on Monday, from clinicals or anything else, because there weren't any.

Somebody able to confirm this or at least corroborate my memory?

School was actually closed the previous Friday (according to Karen Mayotte), which is the day after she was upset at work (Thursday night/early Friday morning). It may have been closed Monday, I can't say for certain, but I think Friday might be the day you are thinking of.

Here is the link to Renner's interview with Mayotte:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011/06/phone-call.html

ETA Actually, I can't tell from the post if this information is Mayotte's or Renner's.

The comment--

I think it is strange that she says she "happened to be outside her room." That makes it sound like a coincidence, but Patrolman David L. Pinkham's supplemental narrative states:

“I then walked down the hallway of Kennedy Dorm to room (number redacted) and knocked on the door. I was greeted by the resident of the room (name redacted). I asked (name redacted) if she knew her neighbor (name redacted) down the hall she stated that she did not.”

In the report, the police knock on her dorm room door, she's not coincidentally in the hall. These statements do seem to disagree somewhat.

I think it is strange that she says she "happened to be outside her room." That makes it sound like a coincidence, but Patrolman David L. Pinkham's supplemental narrative states:

“I then walked down the hallway of Kennedy Dorm to room (number redacted) and knocked on the door. I was greeted by the resident of the room (name redacted). I asked (name redacted) if she knew her neighbor (name redacted) down the hall she stated that she did not.”

In the report, the police knock on her dorm room door, she's not coincidentally in the hall. These statements do seem to disagree somewhat.

It wasn't her credit card. It was her friends credit card who lived on a different floor. She then went downstairs where the police were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734