NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the notion she just crashed her car and was very likely to be drinking and driving - seeking refuge with Atwood would be a silly choice, he was right across the street. People witnessed the crash and it would be foolish not to expect police to be there shortly.

So for her to immediately look to remove herself from the crash site (via car, foot etc) would be the first thing on her mind if she wanted to avoid trouble at all cost.

People who flee DUI accidents go as far and as quick away from the site and staying with Atwood would have been a poor choice in that regard.

I'm in total agreement. My son did the exact thing six months ago, and I'm ashamed to admit that at one point in my life I would have done the same.

Not only did he not go to a nearby home for help, he vanished for hours. Cops showed up at my house in the middle of the night. I was gobsmacked and terrified. He flipped his car over a rail, and no one could find him. I tried relentlessly to get in touch with him and his friends. The cops parked in front of my house for hours waiting for him. All his friends lied to me. When he finally did call, he even refused to divulge any info to me. I had spent hours thinking he may be dead, injured, or some strange foul play had happened. I'm pretty sure he didn't give two hoots - HE WAS NOT COMING HOME UNTIL THE COAST WAS CLEAR.

I'm in total agreement. My son did the exact thing six months ago, and I'm ashamed to admit that at one point in my life I would have done the same.

Not only did he not go to a nearby home for help, he vanished for hours. Cops showed up at my house in the middle of the night. I was gobsmacked and terrified. He flipped his car over a rail, and no one could find him. I tried relentlessly to get in touch with him and his friends. The cops parked in front of my house for hours waiting for him. All his friends lied to me. When he finally did call, he even refused to divulge any info to me. I had spent hours thinking he may be dead, injured, or some strange foul play had happened. I'm pretty sure he didn't give two hoots - HE WAS NOT COMING HOME UNTIL THE COAST WAS CLEAR.
It's frightening because it happens quite often. Obviously you know first hand, and I've had a few friends who have done the same thing - they disappear for some time after an alcohol fueled crash, lay low for hours after and try to establish whatever lie possible that does not put them behind the wheel.

In fact, when I lived in my old house I'd see it several times a year. We lived on a slight curve on a busy road with a telephone pole right at the apex of the bend. It made an awful sound when a car would hit it at 50 mph.

Our rule of thumb was, if we see the occupants speaking with police minutes after they were sober. If we saw an empty, abandoned, and wrecked car - they were definitely drunk.

That's why I said she had to have "some incredible and unprecented luck to vanish without ANYBODY seeing anything", I wasn't suggesting that it's impossible, just unprecented if it happened in that way. If she did get picked up by the wrong person then that person basically won the lottery that night from his perspective, if you get what I mean. Most of what we know and what was said indicates that she fled the scene quickly and was possibly abducted by someone. But what if she just wandered in the woods and died there from hypothermia? What if we have been looking 12 years for a suspect that doesn't exist? I think all the possibilities are still open, I feel like maybe too much focus was put on her getting abducted rather than her disappearing because of her own actions and decisions. I don't think it's possible but if someone could come out and clearly prove that she got into another car, that would already be a huge step forward in this investigation. At this point, I don't think anybody can. Every question raises more questions or more statements. For instance, if we know that she refused assistance from Butch Atwood, why would she then turn around and get in a car a few minutes later? Seems to go against logic. But then you have to take into account that Maura was possibly drunk and that her decision-making wasn't sharp.

People seem to forget that she didn't want trouble with the police. Butch offered her a safe, warm place until the police arrived. He was calling the police. If she needed to get out of there fast. It seems that someone stopping to give her a ride out of there (either there or down the road) was her best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People seem to forget that she didn't want trouble with the police. Butch offered her a safe, warm place until the police arrived. He was calling the police. If she needed to get out of there fast. It seems that someone stopping to give her a ride out of there (either there or down the road) was her best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This goes back to my explanation that her decision-making wasn't the best due to her being possibly tipsy/drunk so she may have made a rash decision which proved fatal. Normally you're thought not to get into a car with a stranger, especially not in the middle of nowhere at darkness.

I've been following this case since it aired on "Disappeared". There are too many unknowns for me to even come up with a most likely scenario. I don't remember the temperature, wind conditions or how warmly she was dressed. I can imagine that in February, at night and in New Hampshire it was probably well below freezing and I believe the cold is biggest factor to consider.
- Hypothermia. The onset is accelerated with alcohol consumption. Alcohol also dulls your judgement.
- In its early stages there is constant, uncontrollable shivering and some confusion. She may have gone further down the road and realized she needed to get to a warm place soon. She might be more likely to accept ride then as opposed to when she first left the car. And with the wrong person.
- As hypothermia goes on, the victims have known to wander aimlessly and shed clothing. If she walked off the road and started walking through the snow that would not help her situation. If this is the case, she could be a good distance away from the road.
- Between alcohol and hypothermia she may have not been steady walking down the road and hit by a car. The driver, if intoxicated or otherwise in a panic, may have removed her from the scene. In that case she could be quite a ways from where her car was found.
- Then, of course, she could have left the area with someone who picked her up and decided to voluntarily disappear.

It's frightening because it happens quite often. Obviously you know first hand, and I've had a few friends who have done the same thing - they disappear for some time after an alcohol fueled crash, lay low for hours after and try to establish whatever lie possible that does not put them behind the wheel.

In fact, when I lived in my old house I'd see it several times a year. We lived on a slight curve on a busy road with a telephone pole right at the apex of the bend. It made an awful sound when a car would hit it at 50 mph.

Our rule of thumb was, if we see the occupants speaking with police minutes after they were sober. If we saw an empty, abandoned, and wrecked car - they were definitely drunk.
This is so true. People did it in my town too because the idea was that if cops didn't find you at the scene, they couldn't prove you were drunk driving. You could claim you had a drink later after you left.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This is so true. People did it in my town too because the idea was that if cops didn't find you at the scene, they couldn't prove you were drunk driving. You could claim you had a drink later after you left.

Or no drink at all.

653ad5123fdb71e7dc83afca05ae56de.jpg

Its my daughters 12th birthday today, I cant belive it has been 12 years and still theres no clue really as to what happened to Maura.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Judging by the latest interview Fred Murray seems to strongly suggest local PD needs to answer to a higher authority and explain a few things.

Certainly after 12 years every angle needs to be examined and if this is where Fred thinks he'll find the truth, then I wish him the best as it will be a long and hard road, most likely.

Fred has always seemed genuine to me and the only thing I think he's guilty of is preserving a good public image of Maura, something most parents would do in this situation.

I truly hope he gets some answers in his lifetime.

I think the crucial point that a lot of people are missing here is that there is a huge difference between suggesting a conspiracy and simply asking tough questions. And in this case, tough questions need to be asked because there have been some major flaws within the police investigation. People need to be able to ask tough questions and wonder about certain things without being labeled conspiracy nuts.

Tarik, I definitely understand your point, but if you're referring to Smith, I mean, he's basically called himself a conspiracy theorist. However, conspiracy doesn't always mean bad, like aliens probing people. I welcome any thought or question that seems even 10% plausible if it gets dialogue going.

The Cottage the police refer to is the Cottage Hospital. I hope this clears some things up for you.

5. She brought the book Without Peril that dealt in part with tragic deaths. It's not uncommon for people to commit suicide in locations that have personal meanings to them, she could've planned to get drunk, and jump off a ledge. The email to professors could be argued it was to give her time and not arise suspicion with friends and the counter to that would be she took her text books, a travel kit, sufficient alcohol to last a week to decompress, the email to professors would give her a valid excuse to be gone and not expelled, and she took the time to bring the accident/insurance papers which her dad needed. It appears she had no hotel booked so we have rely on Fred's statement she would've known people in the area and assume that's accurate. The police report has the dispatcher asking Cecil Smith if she was at the cottage wherever that is and it really wasn't answered.

**The Cottage**
The Cottage Cecil Smith is referring to is the Cottage Hospital in Woodsville, it is located on Swift Water Rd. not far from the accident.

I am new to this case, therefore also new to this site. I have listened to the podcasts and done a lot of reading and feel I'm "up to speed" if you will. There are many things about this case that don't make sense. A witness said she heard a vehicle accelerate, then heard the crash. When a small 8 year old sedan, driven on 3 cylinders accelerates, is anyone going to hear that a few hundred yards away, inside a house? I'm guessing no. Thoughts?

I am new to this case, therefore also new to this site. I have listened to the podcasts and done a lot of reading and feel I'm "up to speed" if you will. There are many things about this case that don't make sense. A witness said she heard a vehicle accelerate, then heard the crash. When a small 8 year old sedan, driven on 3 cylinders accelerates, is anyone going to hear that a few hundred yards away, inside a house? I'm guessing no. Thoughts?
Depends on the condition of the Saturn for sure. Had she went full throttle, perhaps that could be heard from afar but without a doubt if it had an exhaust leak you would hear it.

As for the impact with the snow bank it's hard to say.

But given the condition of the Saturn, an exhaust leak is quite possible and that would really enhance the throttle sound, imo.

I don't find it strange that a witness said she heard a vehicle accelerate and I don't think the car model will depend on whether you will hear an acceleration or not. Keep in mind that this happened on a small and isolated road at darkness in the winter on a Monday night. If there is no other noise outside like snow falling, people shoveling their driveways or whatever, you will definitely hear at least something depending on where you are in the house. If there is a crash, there is no way you won't hear it. I live in a rural suburb and when a car accelerates down the street, I usually hear it from inside the house even when I'm sleeping or when it's late at night. So no, I don't find that strange or anything. If a witness had said she heard a vehicle accelerate outside and it had happened in the middle of the day on the crowded main street of a small city then I would have a problem with it. As it stands, I don't.

There are so much speculations, and so many teories. I think she ran to the woods and died there. Hopefully this will be solved toon. I don't think there was any murder og suicide involved, she fell somewhere in the woods, and nature took care of her remains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme