NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.

Very interesting that a number of witnesses remember seeing a specific vehicle, but there are no reliable witness reports of anyone seeing Maura fleeing the crash site.

It appears to me that the whole case needs reviewing by a fresh pair of eyes.

Yes , I totally agree with you. There are pieces missing.
I really have a difficult time wrapping my head around how someone can just vanish Into thin air. To me, I believe that someone saw something ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM;
YES! The whole case needs reviewing. There are 13 threads.

Let us know if you find anything after reviewing! :lookingitup:

I think more or less Maura knew police were on their way out of simple intuition. Atwood stated he would call the police for her, but she stated she had already called AAA for a tow truck. Butch knew this wasn't likely due to the lack of cell phone reception in the area. Plus, with other homes in sight, I think it would be a bit naive not to think that.

Certainly the angle of police involvement is something that should be considered after a decade, but the idea of a police car of some type on the scene before the first known officer contradicts what the Westmans saw.

But then again, who knows. They Westmans admittedly did not watch the entire event and if two different (but identically styled) police cars were on the scene in quick succession that would certainly confuse witnesses.

I've read them all, yes them all in the last 5 weeks, I've also listened to all the podcasts and read most of Renners blogs, I am a new set of eyes. I've posted this on a different site, but I'll post here too.... How did the police get the BOLO out in 8 minutes with an EXACT description of Maura?

I've gotten timed out a couple times,so I'm going to do shorter posts.... Smith arrived on scene at 7:47, at 7:54 he puts out a BOLO, to the fire dept. for a 5'7" female weighing 120 pounds. How is that possible?

I spun out a car once, it wouldn't start for almost 5 minutes after. I ve pictured that happening here, her car won't start, she gets mad, hits the windshield with something, her fist, a bottle, something then walks away.

I've gotten timed out a couple times,so I'm going to do shorter posts.... Smith arrived on scene at 7:47, at 7:54 he puts out a BOLO, to the fire dept. for a 5'7" female weighing 120 pounds. How is that possible?

Maura was the registered driver of the car and her father, Fred, was the registered owner...if I understood the documents correctly.

It is possible there was a description of Maura on their database from a previous incident and they used those details to issue the BOLO. That seems the most logical thing to me.

You can see a number of documents here - http://mauramurray.blogspot.co.uk/p/documents.html?m=1

Maura was the registered driver of the car and her father, Fred, was the registered owner...if I understood the documents correctly.

It is possible there was a description of Maura on their database from a previous incident and they used those details to issue the BOLO. That seems the most logical thing to me.

You can see a number of documents here - http://mauramurray.blogspot.co.uk/p/documents.html?m=1

BBM;
Registered driver vs registered owner??? Where does that happen? I have lived in MA for over 60 years and there is no separate registration for various drivers of any of my cars. They have all had only one actual registration. One registers his car, not the drivers.

Can you point me to a source? Tanks.

That is a pretty tight time frame. I think Atwood made his call around 7:40 so presumably he was asked a general description of the driver and then volunteered that information to police, which made its way to Cecil, thus the quick BOLO.

However that hinges on the fact that Atwood was even asked that information, and gave them that specifically, rather than just a vague idea it was a young female driver. Otherwise how would Cecil know? That certainly raises a good question.

You make some good points.

What intrigues me is how could Maura have known that the police were on their way?

Here is a quote from this site which is also interesting;

Atwood told her he was calling it in. Police always respond in that situation. Which is another reason why Maura didn't accept help from him. He didn't offer her a ride out of there. He offered help at the scene. She was intent on fleeing for the time being because of the alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read them all, yes them all in the last 5 weeks, I've also listened to all the podcasts and read most of Renners blogs, I am a new set of eyes. I've posted this on a different site, but I'll post here too.... How did the police get the BOLO out in 8 minutes with an EXACT description of Maura

I've never heard of "registered driver"- but if he were to arrive on the scene and scan her license plate , her license information would have popped up on his computer.

I've read them all, yes them all in the last 5 weeks, I've also listened to all the podcasts and read most of Renners blogs, I am a new set of eyes. I've posted this on a different site, but I'll post here too.... How did the police get the BOLO out in 8 minutes with an EXACT description of Maura

I've never heard of "registered driver"- but if he were to arrive on the scene and scan her license plate , her license information would have popped up on his computer.

Why would her information have shown up if her father owned the car? I know now, that with improved databases of insured drivers, I would guess a State Trooper could pull up those insured to drive that car on a computer. I'm not even fully sure it's possible to go from there to a driver license from the list of names, but likely. My kid's driver licenses don't show up on my USAA insurance card, just their full names.

But I don't think so, back then. Whoever owned the car would have shown up. I'm not sure of this, but when I was moving apartments once during that same time frame my car was wide open at night and my purse on the seat, which looked suspicious to a passing cop. He could only get my father's name and address in a license plate scan.

Why would her information have shown up if her father owned the car? I know now, that with improved databases of insured drivers, I would guess a State Trooper could pull up those insured to drive that car on a computer. I'm not even fully sure it's possible to go from there to a driver license from the list of names, but likely. My kid's driver licenses don't show up on my USAA insurance card, just their full names.

But I don't think so, back then. Whoever owned the car would have shown up. I'm not sure of this, but when I was moving apartments once during that same time frame my car was wide open at night and my purse on the seat, which looked suspicious to a passing cop. He could only get my father's name and address in a license plate scan.

Someone earlier mentioned something that Maura was the registered driver and her father was registered owner - first time I've ever heard of that as well. But if that is true then her info may have popped up when the plate was scanned.
Even if Atwood gave a description of Maura , it is an extremely short time frame that the info was broadcasted by the cop. I was thinking that maybe this officer had a run in with Maura prior ?

He didn't offer her a ride out of there. He offered help at the scene. She was intent on fleeing for the time being because of the alcohol.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/index.php?showtopic=1823&st=20

"Atwood offered to let Maura wait at his house until help arrived, but Maura wanted to wait with her car. He advised Maura to turn her car's lights on to avoid getting hit by vehicles coming around the bend. Atwood then left the scene and drove the 100 yards to his home."

"Atwood offered to let Maura wait at his house until help arrived, but Maura wanted to wait with her car. He advised Maura to turn her car's lights on to avoid getting hit by vehicles coming around the bend. Atwood then left the scene and drove the 100 yards to his home."

Does Atwood remember passing any cars in his drive home ?
Just can't help but think someone she was familiar with picked her up? Or maybe the cruiser #001....

Her purse and ID were in the car, yeah?

No ID or cell phone left in car. Car was registered to Fred Murray. I doubt her identity would have been easily discovered without rummaging through the car. An insurance card maybe, but unless Atwood gave that specific description I'm not sure how they so quickly learned of Maura.

No ID or cell phone left in car. Car was registered to Fred Murray. I doubt her identity would have been easily discovered without rummaging through the car. An insurance card maybe, but unless Atwood gave that specific description I'm not sure how they so quickly learned of Maura.

I'm sure this has already been addressed - and it's sometimes hard remembering all the bits and pieces ... But was the car unlocked ? Keys left in the car?

Right....but his house wasn't really away from the scene as far as what I'm saying is concerned. She'd asked him not to call for help but of course she had to assume he would anyway. If she went into his house she would have to talk to police when they arrived. It's difficult to talk away an open container when it's on your breath/in your system. She needed to distance herself from police for the time being. Later she could say "no officer, I wasn't drinking. That wine everywhere was from the closed wine box that exploded on impact"....there'd be no way to prove that wasn't true. As for fleeing the scene "officer, I was trying to get a signal. I didn't know I was supposed to stay with the vehicle. I was just trying to call my dad to ask him what to do".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member