NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting video. Especially at the end of the video where he lists other unexplained/explained deaths and disappearances in the Haverhill, NH area.

The first was Pauline Clark, at the lodge? found dead in a stream. I can't find anything online concerning her death. Maybe I'm spelling her name wrong.

Tom Conrad, Murdered on September 28th, 2005 in Pike, NH. He was shot multiple times as he arrived home. Unsolved http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82323856

Christopher Gray, Murdered - Haverhill, NH. http://www.wcax.com/story/11208584/murder-suspects-plead-guilty

Dennis Toll, Missing - Haverhill, NH I can't find anything on him either.

Dion Nelson Missing - Haverhill, NH I can't find anything on him either.

I need a bit of clarity on something. ..im not familair with snow conditions or how things work over there.....but why did butch/maura have to call someone to the scene? Would the car not start? Was it stuck in snow? My reaction would be to just drive on. ..maybe hav butch tow the car out with the bus? The damaged to the car seems quite minor. Couldnt she just report it for insurance purposes later?

I need a bit of clarity on something. ..im not familair with snow conditions or how things work over there.....but why did butch/maura have to call someone to the scene? Would the car not start? Was it stuck in snow? My reaction would be to just drive on. ..maybe hav butch tow the car out with the bus? The damaged to the car seems quite minor. Couldnt she just report it for insurance purposes later?

In a lot of cases residents will simply call the police for them to handle an accident. Not everyone there has towing equipment so police will dispatch a tow truck. Sure some good samaritans are out there but Butch likely just wanted police to deal with it.

No one definitely knows the running condition of the car so we don't know for sure the condition of it. The accident may have damaged the radiator, some belts maybe. It's hard to say. I think, if Maura could have, she would have drove away so that leads me to think it wouldn't start...or even stuck in snow but I don't think the snow banks were particularly high in that area.

Her car may not have started due to the spin out. I used to have an older car and I spun out once, no damage was done to my car, it did stall out, and I could NOT start it. This was before cell phones and I was ready to start walking a couple miles to a payphone, I sat there for a few minutes, then tried to start the car one last time, I would guess 5 minutes after the spin out, and it started right up. Maybe that happened to Maura's car as well and that is why she didn't just drive away.

O ok...makes sense. Gosh was hoping intentionally leaving a car that could start would offer more clues!
Been following this case for 2 yrs ...just exhausting trying to make sense of it with so many holes in the story.

The day I spun out, I was 19 years old, had a 15 year old car. I spun out on an off ramp on the highway, spun about 3.5 times, when I came to rest, the car had stopped running, I tried to restart it, nothing, I cried, I screamed, I punched the windshield (mine didn't break, Maura's may have) I tried the car a few more times, nothing. After about 5 minutes, I tried one last time and it started. I've always thought this might be the reason Maura didn't just drive away.

Unless I am mistaken, IIRC both air bags were deployed. If I understand correctly, with air bags deployed the engine is disabled as it then becomes unsafe to drive. Having air bags unusable renders the car unsafe without this major safety mechanism. Perhaps it has changed, but back then if one bag deployed they both did. Newer cars have separate activation systems.

MOO

The damaged to the car seems quite minor.

It has been confirmed by two independent accident investigators that Maura's car did not hit a tree. John Smith, who runs a blog here, spoke to a forest ranger at the accident site who confirmed there would be damage to the trees, visible to this day, if the car had struck them.

The damage to the Saturn does not seem to match up with the "it hit a snow bank" theory either. I have some photographs which I will dig out later and post here.

While I don't necessarily think it hit a tree, there had to be an impact of some sort. The Westmans clearly heard something and observed the car after it happened.

But if your saying the damage could have occurred from a separate event, yeah that certainly is a possibility.

I've hit a few snowbanks before. Both as a driver and a passanger. When you are taking a turn you almost instinctively try to correct yourself and wind up making side contact, or even a full 360. It seems unusual in my opinion that she stayed in the same lane of travel instead of the opposite and damaged the front.

I'm no accident expert, but I almost wonder if a mechanical issue rather than driver error caused it.

I've been heading down this Rabbit Hole and found Emma "Alex" Lee Caraballo. She lived in Haverhill, NH and went missing last month, 3/16. She was found deceased. I thought it was relevant enough to post.

Dennis Toll, Missing - Haverhill, NH I can't find anything on him either.

Dion Nelson Missing - Haverhill, NH I can't find anything on him either.

//
Ok, found Dennis. It's Dennis Towle missing from Chapel St.in the Woodsville section of Haverhill, NH 8/4/02. He was walking his dog.

While I don't necessarily think it hit a tree, there had to be an impact of some sort. The Westmans clearly heard something and observed the car after it happened.

But if your saying the damage could have occurred from a separate event, yeah that certainly is a possibility.

I've hit a few snowbanks before. Both as a driver and a passanger. When you are taking a turn you almost instinctively try to correct yourself and wind up making side contact, or even a full 360. It seems unusual in my opinion that she stayed in the same lane of travel instead of the opposite and damaged the front.

I'm no accident expert, but I almost wonder if a mechanical issue rather than driver error caused it.

I guess I got lost. I thought she cut the snow on her left on the curve and went straight across to the right again and then swung 180 facing the wrong direction in the right lane?
No?

It has been confirmed by two independent accident investigators that Maura's car did not hit a tree. John Smith, who runs a blog here, spoke to a forest ranger at the accident site who confirmed there would be damage to the trees, visible to this day, if the car had struck them.

The damage to the Saturn does not seem to match up with the "it hit a snow bank" theory either. I have some photographs which I will dig out later and post here.

Those pics would be helpful again. IIRC the car had a tight roundish dent in the driver's side of the hood, which is one of the few metal parts of the body. The rest of the body panels are plastic and give quite a bit in an accident..
Remember that the tree was very much smaller at the time. Such a dent, when I had seen it, did not appear to be from a human if people want to go there. It was too deep IMO.

I guess I got lost. I thought she cut the snow on her left on the curve and went straight across to the right again and then swung 180 facing the wrong direction in the right lane?
No?

I'll have to look at the accident report again but that sounds right. The Westmans house is right at the apex of the bend so it seems she passed their house on her left side and then lost control, turning 180 degrees and came to rest in that same lane, just facing the opposite direction of traffic.

So she did make contact with the snow bank on the side of the road, but on the right side, where she faced the wrong way.

To me, I'm surprised she didn't veer into the opposite lane, but again I'm no accident expert. There's a lot of variables I suppose with how she braked, cut the wheel, etc

I think what the original thought was, was that her car sputtered and she lost control and hit the tree on the corner of 112. After listening to the podcasters and doing my own research, it seems that there's no way she would've hit the tree due to the "lack" of damage to the front of her car. I'm starting to wonder now if she hit something before coming to that spot on route 112, and her car ended up stuck on a snow bank. In my opinion, that's not where the accident took place.

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/lance-tim-speak-to-ag-in-new-podcast.html

James Renner's last podcast featured Marley Davis, who works as a public defender's office in Massachusetts. The focus of the episode is a series of answers the New Hampshire Attorney General's office. Apparently they are considering releasing the ATM surveillance video in the near future, taken when Maura withdrew $280 from her account just before leaving Massachusetts.

Asking about when in time did foul play become the prevailing theory in the case, the NH attorney general stated that ''foul play is dominant among several theories, we do not know whether her disappearance is voluntary or involuntary or if she was a victim of a crime.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro