NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched a special on this case that aired today on the Oxygen channel. The thing that stuck out to me the most in this case is the fact that Maura Murray was involved in 2 automobile accidents in the space of 2 days. She crashed her Father's car on Sunday after attending a party. The next day she buys more liquor and crash the Saturn. I believe she did not want to get in trouble with Law Enforcement or her father. She was not going to stick around and possibly get arrested. My gut feeling tells me she simply walked away from her life. I do not think there was foul play. Very little evidence of it. Sadly there is the possibility that the shame and guilt possibly compelled her to end her own life.

Last edited:
I have watched a special on this case that aired today on the Oxygen channel. The thing that stuck out to me the most in this case is the fact that Maura Murray was involved in 2 automobile accidents in the space of 2 days. She crashed her Father's car on Sunday after attending a party. The next day she buys more liquor and crash the Saturn. I believe she did not want to get in trouble with Law Enforcement or her father. She was not going to stick around and possibly get arrested. My gut feeling tells me she simply walked away from her life. I do not think there was foul play. Very little evidence of it. Sadly there is the possibility that the shame and guilt possibly compelled her to end her own life.

You might be right and are entitled to your opinion but I personally do not think she walked out on her life and there was likely foul play. From what I have read I do not think her family think she just walked out on her life. Although it can happen I do not believe Maura would have just not contacted her family all these years. People have different opinions but to me Maura's case was foul play. In another case like Brianna Maitland's the foul play is perhaps more obvious with the car backed into the barn but the fact is there has not so far been a trace of Maura for all these years. Anyway as I say these cases are about different opinions. Thanks.

You might be right and are entitled to your opinion but I personally do not think she walked out on her life and there was likely foul play. From what I have read I do not think her family think she just walked out on her life. Although it can happen I do not believe Maura would have just not contacted her family all these years. People have different opinions but to me Maura's case was foul play. In another case like Brianna Maitland's the foul play is perhaps more obvious with the car backed into the barn but the fact is there has not so far been a trace of Maura for all these years. Anyway as I say these cases are about different opinions. Thanks.
I agree. It's hard to imagine that Maura would venture out into the White Mountains without a reason. As soon as she gets in the accident on route 112, in the span of seven minutes, she vanishes from the face of the earth. To walk into the woods, especially with how cold it was, the alcohol missing, the car locked, and no signs of footprints or evidence to suggest she walked into the woods, would have been foolish. The only thing I can think is she hitched a ride or went to a neighbors house and met with foul play. She declined help from Butch Atwood because of his intent on notifying law enforcement. Maura was scared and knew the ramifications of her actions. It stands likely she hightailed from the scene of the accident. She hitched a ride or was able to sneak by without detection. What happened afterwards is hard to imagine, but I, too, think she met with some kind of foul play.

She wasn't checked for alcohol at the other car accidents. There isn't a crime in being crappy driver or driving in bad weather. If she walked away from the car it might have been the worst choice she ever made. That doesn't mean she wanted to die or stay away. Not dealing with a broken car is enough of a reason to flee add cops or a hospital visit that's a lot. It's a hassle.

It's extremely naïve to say that alcohol did not play a big factor in the accidents or the disappearance. Aside from the near obvious that Maura had drinking problems the wreck occurred at a sharp turn of the road. What is one of the big things that people that drive while intoxicated have trouble with? It's in judging depth and distance on the road. Something that would definitely come into affect when there was a significant turn on the road.

Let's try not to throw away all common sense when we discuss this case just because we want to give Maura the benefit of the doubt. She was a 21 year old girl who was a known partier and she had alcohol in the car with her and the wreck the night she disappeared was screaming of an accident that occurred because the driver had impaired judgement at the time.

Last edited:
also two accidents in the space of two days is very very uncommon. I am of the strong opinion that alcohol played a part in both accidents.
She was a young woman and she had a few issues and some legal trouble. She must of felt terrible after the 2nd accident.

Just imagining have to explain to your father you crashed the car again. Just imagine doing this from a jail cell. I can understand her reasons for not wanting to stick around. But there is no evidence that she was picked up.

Last edited:
Just imagining have to explain to your father you crashed the car again. Just imagine doing this from a jail cell. I can understand her reasons for not wanting to stick around. But there is no evidence that she was picked up.

Yeah I fully believe that her line of thinking after the second accident was to get away from the scene as thoroughly as she could and to stay away until people were completely looking past the fact that she was drinking and driving again and would instead just be glad she returned. Rather that meant she tried hitch hiking or just getting away from the scene as quickly as she could on foot we really don't know. We also don't really know how far away from her destination she was. If she was say within 5 to 10 miles from it she very well may have just decided to go the rest of the way on foot and that would make her dying of the elements far more likely because her body likely wouldn't be in the search areas they have gone through already.

It's extremely naïve to say that alcohol did not play a big factor in the accidents or the disappearance. Aside from the near obvious that Maura had drinking problems the wreck occurred at a sharp turn of the road. What is one of the big things that people that drive while intoxicated have trouble with? It's in judging depth and distance on the road. Something that would definitely come into affect when there was a significant turn on the road.

Let's try not to throw away all common sense when we discuss this case just because we want to give Maura the benefit of the doubt. She was a 21 year old girl who was a known partier and she had alcohol in the car with her and the wreck the night she disappeared was screaming of an accident that occurred because the driver had impaired judgement at the time.

Let's not jump to conclusions. You are leaping.

Let's not jump to conclusions. You are leaping.

No, Sony12 was right: Maura was intoxicated, had previous accidents, had previous contacts from the police, lied to her friends and family and school, might have been suffering from Bi-Polar Disorder, and definitely did not want assistance after the accident - since she refused help from the bus driver despite it being a cold and snowy night. She was most likely quite intoxicated when she crashed - not unusual for being on a curvy pitch-black road in the middle of nowhere at night. She obviously walked away from the crash, and I would be willing to place a bet that her body is in the woods someplace not that far from the scene.

also two accidents in the space of two days is very very uncommon. I am of the strong opinion that alcohol played a part in both accidents.
She was a young woman and she had a few issues and some legal trouble. She must of felt terrible after the 2nd accident.

In reality parents would rather their children be safe behind bars than missing. Also why did she have a car at all.

No, Sony12 was right: Maura was intoxicated, had previous accidents, had previous contacts from the police, lied to her friends and family and school, might have been suffering from Bi-Polar Disorder, and definitely did not want assistance after the accident - since she refused help from the bus driver despite it being a cold and snowy night. She was most likely quite intoxicated when she crashed - not unusual for being on a curvy pitch-black road in the middle of nowhere at night. She obviously walked away from the crash, and I would be willing to place a bet that her body is in the woods someplace not that far from the scene.

Unless you were there you can't prove what she did that night. You can't say she was drunk when it could have been bad weather. Not getting in a bus, van or car with a strange man isn't a sign that you are doing something wrong.

Unless you were there you can't prove what she did that night. You can't say she was drunk when it could have been bad weather. Not getting in a bus, van or car with a strange man isn't a sign that you are doing something wrong.

All of us are speculating and none of us know for sure what happened. However to say that alcohol wasn't involved is basically just trying to take the most realistic scenarios out of the situation. Maura had a history of drinking. She had gotten in a bit of trouble in the past due to stupid decisions she made. She went out of her way to buy alcohol prior to leaving on her trip even though she had wrecked her car just the day prior (most likely due to alcohol as well). She fled the scene when she was in the middle of nowhere after a second accident in about as many days.

If we want to talk about this case we can't just ignore all those facts simply because it makes Maura look bad. None of us are saying she was a bad person. We are just saying she was a young person who was making very bad decisions in her life at the time. Guess what. Julie Murray was making very bad decisions in her life back in 2004 as well.

I disagree. In my opinion, I don't think Maura was intoxicated. While alcohol was found in her car, it's more or less circumstantial. You wouldn't be able to prove Maura was intoxicated. Mind you, the first accident was due to operator inattentiveness and it's likely Maura was distracted by something. It's dark and she didn't anticipate the turn near the weathered barn. Again, this is strictly based on the information available. Butch Atwood claimed she didn't appear intoxicated but that she appeared to have been drinking. We can't say for certain since Butch was speaking from a distance and didn't get a close look at her to notice the signs of someone that was inebriated i.e. dilated pupils, tainted breath. I think the reason she couldn't maintain her balance was due to the airbag deployment. As the airbags deployed, she might have suffered a concussion due to the excessive force. The crash itself caused her to become disoriented and lightheaded which could explain why she needed to grab onto something while conversing with Butch. Also, if she was intoxicated, how did she remember to grab all of the essential items; wallet, keys, phone, backpack and alcohol, rummage through her trunk, stick a rag in the exhaust pipe, lock the car, and walk away in the span of seven minutes? Just a thought.

I disagree. In my opinion, I don't think Maura was intoxicated. While alcohol was found in her car, it's more or less circumstantial. You wouldn't be able to prove Maura was intoxicated. Mind you, the first accident was due to operator inattentiveness and it's likely Maura was distracted by something. It's dark and she didn't anticipate the turn near the weathered barn. Again, this is strictly based on the information available. Butch Atwood claimed she didn't appear intoxicated but that she appeared to have been drinking. We can't say for certain since Butch was speaking from a distance and didn't get a close look at her to notice the signs of someone that was inebriated i.e. dilated pupils, tainted breath. I think the reason she couldn't maintain her balance was due to the airbag deployment. As the airbags deployed, she might have suffered a concussion due to the excessive force. The crash itself caused her to become disoriented and lightheaded which could explain why she needed to grab onto something while conversing with Butch. Also, if she was intoxicated, how did she remember to grab all of the essential items; wallet, keys, phone, backpack and alcohol, rummage through her trunk, stick a rag in the exhaust pipe, lock the car, and walk away in the span of seven minutes? Just a thought.

Chad I'm sorry but since we are being accused of jumping to conclusions and saying things that can't be proven I just want to point out that that is basically what your entire post here is.

All of us are speculating and none of us know for sure what happened. However to say that alcohol wasn't involved is basically just trying to take the most realistic scenarios out of the situation. Maura had a history of drinking. She had gotten in a bit of trouble in the past due to stupid decisions she made. She went out of her way to buy alcohol prior to leaving on her trip even though she had wrecked her car just the day prior (most likely due to alcohol as well). She fled the scene when she was in the middle of nowhere after a second accident in about as many days.

If we want to talk about this case we can't just ignore all those facts simply because it makes Maura look bad. None of us are saying she was a bad person. We are just saying she was a young person who was making very bad decisions in her life at the time. Guess what. Julie Murray was making very bad decisions in her life back in 2004 as well.

Sony, I, respectfully, disagree. You've jumped to the conclusion on a few occasions. You claimed that Maura has drinking issues, was a drug user, and claimed that any college kids who had drinking issues were likely drug users. However, this is just your opinion. It's not based off of any facts or evidence to support it. Maura have two car accidents but she was never cited for a DUI on the first accident and the second accident is purely circumstantial. Also, she might have known that it's illegal to carry over three quartz of alcohol over the border. I have been forthcoming with that information. I never claimed anything to be fact - it's based on what information has been provided to the public. Just read in the information. That's all. You can draw your own opinions, just as long as you state that. It's disconcerting when you state something claiming it to be true, when in reality, it's just your opinion.

Julie Murray was making very bad decisions in her life back in 2004 as well. Okay? So, what's your point? Do you want to make outrageous claims on her as well? Please, be respectful.

Sony, I, respectfully, disagree. You've jumped to the conclusion on a few occasions. You claimed that Maura has drinking issues, was a drug user, and claimed that any college kids who had drinking issues were likely drug users. However, this is just your opinion. It's not based off of any facts or evidence to support it. Maura have two car accidents but she was never cited for a DUI on the first accident and the second accident is purely circumstantial. Also, she might have known that it's illegal to carry over three quartz of alcohol over the border. I have been forthcoming with that information. I never claimed anything to be fact - it's based on what information has been provided to the public. Just read in the information. That's all. You can draw your own opinions, just as long as you state that. It's disconcerting when you state something claiming it to be true, when in reality, it's just your opinion.

Julie Murray was making very bad decisions in her life back in 2004 as well. Okay? So, what's your point? Do you want to make outrageous claims on her as well? Please, be respectful.

I didn't know it was illegal to carry a certain amount of alcohol over state lines. Is that everywhere?

Chad when all you are doing is purely speculating and in a lot of instances just throwing theories up against the wall you really shouldn't all of a sudden say that others need to prove their theories simply because it is going against what you believe happened (or want to believe happen). We'll just make a deal. When you can start proving your speculation to be true you can start getting on others for saying things that can't be proven. Until then they have every right to find fault with your theories and say what they think happened without you saying they need to prove it.

Chad when all you are doing is purely speculating and in a lot of instances just throwing theories up against the wall you really shouldn't all of a sudden say that others need to prove their theories simply because it is going against what you believe happened (or want to believe happen). We'll just make a deal. When you can start proving your speculation to be true you can start getting on others for saying things that can't be proven. Until then they have every right to find fault with your theories and say what they think happened without you saying they need to prove it.
If you claim she was drunk that is an accusation you should back up with something more than speculation. A fact would be that the airbags were deployed and they can stun you, break a nose and/or cause a concussion.

If you claim she was drunk that is an accusation you should back up with something more than speculation. A fact would be that the airbags were deployed and they can stun you, break a nose and/or cause a concussion.

We are speculating that she was drunk and you and Chad are speculating that she wasn't. We are both doing the same thing. If you can't prove your side you shouldn't expect others to prove their side just because they disagree with you.

And you are also only speculating that an airbag caused her to get stunned......which is another speculation on your part. So again unless you can prove she was stunned don't require others to prove their theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member