NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for sharing!

The wiretap is so interesting to me. I notice also that it was only requested... so does that mean that LE was granted permissions to bug (what I am assuming to be) a phone? Or does that mean there was sufficient evidence to warrant a wiretap? Either way, I think either option points to LE knowing that MM didn't simply walk into the cold woods.
I believe this means that they requested the permission; without stating if it had been granted or not.

I don't think it's likely she ended up in Canada, and I don't think Renners assertion about a tandem driver is very likely either.

Imo, the most likely scenario is that Maura fled the scene to avoid being caught for drunk driving, and succumbed to the elements.

I've thought about this time and time again..
But, do you really think...

She would just die overnight?
She wouldn't... keep going? Try to find a ride? Nothing? Just... boom. dead. Nobody finds her, ever?

Police called MM's parents yesterday morning to tell them about this search...it's mentioned in the article.

while reading this i saw this also
i hope something gets found soon if it hasnt already

I suspect that if Maura is buried anywhere she is buried somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Not in someone's backyard in the middle of a populated area.The remains are probably of someone who was local to the Concord area.

Hopefully at least one mystery solved. I'm wondering what he said right after he was glad the people are gone from the house since he's still talking and they cut sound. As for Maura, that would be a hell of a thing if it's her. Especially since it's main roads to Concord, then by an airport of all places. Can you imagine if she drank the rest of her alcohol with someone who picked her up and decided in a buzz to fly out of the country. Regardless of what happened to her, I can see her mindset being "my life is over, now I'm a fugitive!" or some catastrophizing while drunk.

Anyway, if the boyfriend spoke to her while the tow truck was arriving, then not only was she watching and therefore he knew what was happening, but he was also privy to what she planned to do. At least initially. I've thought she hid in the woods and saw the police, the lights, the tow truck, etc. But if she also spoke to the bf at that time, that's more than eyebrow raising.

Snipped for context
Anyway, if the boyfriend spoke to her while the tow truck was arriving, then not only was she watching and therefore he knew what was happening, but he was also privy to what she planned to do. At least initially. I've thought she hid in the woods and saw the police, the lights, the tow truck, etc. But if she also spoke to the bf at that time, that's more than eyebrow raising.

I don't think she ever hid, honestly. She was a long-distance runner. I can't imagine her just sitting and doing nothing, she would want to get away from the scene. If it were me, I would run up to the gas station down the road.

I think she did both. If she wasn't completely blitzed I can see her running on the road for miles. Even drunk, she could get pretty far. But she'd realize she wouldn't be able to see if it was a police car coming up from behind her (or towards her for that matter) without the rack lights on. I think she'd get off the road for that reason, by either hitching a ride 'early on' before the police would be on the scene, or heading out into the woods. I'd would've gone up and out, behind the bus driver's house. But who knows if she had service, she may not have known exactly what was up ahead, and how far. I assume there is info regarding her phone that hasn't been released.

She was a high functioning alcoholic, but she wouldn't be running a PR in that state, and her thinking probably wasn't the clearest. I can see adrenaline and nerves (and strangers not knowing her 'normal' state) allowing her to appear "fine' by anyone who alleged to have spoken with/saw her.

NOWBALL EFFECT'

New Maura Murray evidence confirms she was ‘struggling’ before going missing in crash as sister says she was kidnapped​

NOWBALL EFFECT'

New Maura Murray evidence confirms she was ‘struggling’ before going missing in crash as sister says she was kidnapped​

Wow. Such a fabulous synopsis.
I dunno...with a 20 year anniversary....could or would anyone come forward???
That is my wish and hope.

Reading through that makes it pretty clear that not even her family really knew her all that well at that time in her life. Maura not really having any friends is one of the reasons this has become as big of a mystery as it has turned into.

It's clear though Maura was struggling with depression and you can't really say a person dealing with those issues wouldn't end their own life or wouldn't try to cut ties with their family at least for awhile.
<modsnip- not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading through that makes it pretty clear that not even her family really knew her all that well at that time in her life. Maura not really having any friends is one of the reasons this has become as big of a mystery as it has turned into.

It's clear though Maura was struggling with depression and you can't really say a person dealing with those issues wouldn't end their own life or wouldn't try to cut ties with their family at least for awhile.

<modsnip - not victim friendly>

I do have to agree on two of your points:
<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>

Family has learned a helluva a lot about Maura after going missing.

But I do have to feel for them, with the load of new information they have had to digest.

Last edited by a moderator:
imo serious speculation here and i am very much reading into things but

as i was doing my nightly scroll, i saw a comment on another site (i won't specify for ToS) that prompted me to see that The Sun article removed the bit about the beer found in MM's vsr, that beer being specifially labatt. i'll attach the archived link below, i'll remove if for whatever reason that may not be allowed

archived article: Sister of missing Maura Murray shares theory after fresh evidence emerges

here is an excerpt of the removed text from the article:
There is one item that was found in Maura's car, however, that has continued to puzzle Julie and her family for the last 20 years: a 12-pack of Labatt Blue beer.

Maura hated the taste of beer, Julie said, and drank only wine and spirits.

How the Canadian pilsner came to be in her car is unclear. An unredacted copy of Maura's receipt from the liquor store has never been released.

Julie said the beer could be a clue that her sister was planning to meet someone else before she disappeared.

"I've seen the unredacted version of the liquor store receipt but I'm not going to comment on that," said Julie.

"But I will say my sister was not a beer drinker. She didn't like it at all.

"Was she planning to meet somebody else? And if so, how was she coordinating this trip? Because we don't even know where she was heading. And why hasn't this person come forward, if they exist?" Julie asked.

bolded by me - this is intentional. why keep this information.
the foia documents confirm it was labatt blue. why redact that?

Last edited:
bolded by me - this is intentional. why keep this information.
the foia documents confirm it was labatt blue. why redact that?
I'd say
1) She was definitely meeting someone, however briefly. So anything from a thank you to a bnb host for last-minute (off the books?) accommodations, a drive by for a "few drinks" with someone at his/her/their home on her way to her final destination, or supplies for a beer drinker already at (or coming to) wherever she planned to stay. I lean towards the latter, unless the host was someone she knew specifically liked that beer. I don't read too much into it being Canadian, college kids don't head to Russia for Stoli Razz. It's also entirely possible she bought it close to when she crashed, and it was the only 12-pack available if she were going for something cold. It would be readily available in NE towards Canada. But if she wanted it cold-ish, that puts her destination closer.
2) It doesn't necessarily follow, but I'd think whoever it was for drinks as much as she did. In other words, a 12-pack might be for the first night-into-day until they could go to another liquor store. Or it was intended as a 1-night rager, at least for the beer drinker's involvement. Alcoholics make sure there is always enough, but this also smacks of not wanting to be out at a bar, restaurant, etc. Likely because she was intending to get hammered and didn't want to drive. So if she was drinking in the car, I'd chalk that up to she's an alcoholic and secondly maybe she wasn't all that far from where she was headed and wanted a buzz on arrival.
3) This is literally a proactive beer run and maybe she did know (or was told) what beer to get. So, who did she know that drank LaBatts? Julie (or anyone else) isn't going to say and catch a defamation or slander case. IMO, redacting the beer screams LE knows, or has the keys to knowing, the most importance piece - there might be a 2nd person in the original plans. Coupled with a phone tap, it sounds like finding the evidential 'clincher' is the issue, not necessarily that they don't know who/what/how.

I'd say
1) She was definitely meeting someone, however briefly. So anything from a thank you to a bnb host for last-minute (off the books?) accommodations, a drive by for a "few drinks" with someone at his/her/their home on her way to her final destination, or supplies for a beer drinker already at (or coming to) wherever she planned to stay. I lean towards the latter, unless the host was someone she knew specifically liked that beer. I don't read too much into it being Canadian, college kids don't head to Russia for Stoli Razz. It's also entirely possible she bought it close to when she crashed, and it was the only 12-pack available if she were going for something cold. It would be readily available in NE towards Canada. But if she wanted it cold-ish, that puts her destination closer.
2) It doesn't necessarily follow, but I'd think whoever it was for drinks as much as she did. In other words, a 12-pack might be for the first night-into-day until they could go to another liquor store. Or it was intended as a 1-night rager, at least for the beer drinker's involvement. Alcoholics make sure there is always enough, but this also smacks of not wanting to be out at a bar, restaurant, etc. Likely because she was intending to get hammered and didn't want to drive. So if she was drinking in the car, I'd chalk that up to she's an alcoholic and secondly maybe she wasn't all that far from where she was headed and wanted a buzz on arrival.
3) This is literally a proactive beer run and maybe she did know (or was told) what beer to get. So, who did she know that drank LaBatts? Julie (or anyone else) isn't going to say and catch a defamation or slander case. IMO, redacting the beer screams LE knows, or has the keys to knowing, the most importance piece - there might be a 2nd person in the original plans. Coupled with a phone tap, it sounds like finding the evidential 'clincher' is the issue, not necessarily that they don't know who/what/how.
you make some great callouts here. imo MM was not alone in that car. i've also noodled on the following -

going off the 911 transcripts - if there was a report of a "crash", or a car with a person (or... personS) in distress(?) why no sirens and ambulance? no urgency at all? i think that's because the callers didn't relay an emergency situation (as far as we know - no clue if those transcripts are redacted at all).

Not sure on MA law, but it sounds as if someone could have relayed there were no injuries, and no risk of fire. So either being a bus driver himself, the caller was considered to be a valid judge of the situation (and in a small town may have even known dispatch, who knows), or someone in LE (or LE adjacent) did not request fire/rescue. As for lights and sirens, they'd be off simply off as a courtesy to a few residents in the middle of nowhere - esp if not coded as an emergency.
imo MM was not alone in that car.
Interesting, do you mean before or during the crash? It's entirely possible she had someone with her who fled/hid before anyone else got to the scene. Even right in front of homes, and esp in the dark, there'd be time between the "thump" heard and allegedly speaking to Maura. Why, if Maura stuck around? Was that person just drinking and panicked because of open container, an official of some sort, or just a civilian who shouldn't have been with her personally (i.e. ex-boyfriend, otherwise married person, a professor, a minor etc). I'd think they'd have scoured the car and potentially have DNA from hair which which would be a dead end if that person wasn't 'in the system.' Some of that would be CSI 101 - were there cigarette ashes and did they have a reason to be there, etc? But as we know, LE having evidence doesn't mean it's been released, or possibly been shared with key players, let alone sleuthers.

I lean towards she was alone, but I'd be interested in whether there was any evidence of Maura not being the driver (at least during the crash). Also whether anyone outside her immediate ring of family/friends/acquaintances was unaccounted for in those days - i.e. a peripheral classmate at West Point, ex-colleague or brand new acquaintance on no one else's radar, like a student bulletin board with "need a ride to X, I'll pay gas" notices? All to say, unfortunately, they can't just canvas every last person she crossed paths with.

i got a message that my post was deleted but it doesnt tell me which one, how am i able to find that out?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back