NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
KatherineQ said:
If I were a member of her family, I'd find some way to pay off a SS employee and discover whether there's been any employment on her number.

I don't know about the LE in Maura's case, but my LE and LE in many other cases run SS# checks now and then to see if there is any activity. They then tell me there is none. No one needs to be paid off. LE should just do it.

Kelly

Here, I would note that you also do Maura’s family a disservice by assuming that the family has reacted with an emotional response and closed their eyes to anything, fact or theory.

The above quote was only on line for a matter of minutes and was changed to read:

As far as I can see the evidence points to the fact that Maura had a plan to go to NH or VT. There is no evidence whatsoever that Maura planned on disappearing. Here, I would note that you also do those who are opposed to the 'plan' theory a disservice by assuming that they reacted with an emotional response and closed their eyes to anything, fact or theory.

The reason it was changed (before the post by DocWho or Cyberlaw) was because when I reread it it was not what had been said. The time of the post is when I started the post...as you can see it was a lengthy post and I had to find the quotes I was looking for and cite them...obviously they were writing while I was changing the wording. Regardless, because somebody (family, friend or complete stranger) disagrees that Maura disappeared does not mean that they disagree for emotional reasons. If I agree, then it must be fact, if I disagree, I must be emotional will never play with me... for me it is a trigger word meant to dismiss dissenting opinions, though I'm sure that's not what Doc meant by it:

Adj. 1. emotional - determined or actuated by emotion rather than reason; "it was an emotional judgment"
cerebral, intellectual - involving intelligence rather than emotions or instinct; "a cerebral approach to the problem"; "cerebral drama"

Emotional (E*mo"tion*al) (?), a.

Pertaining to, or characterized by, emotion; excitable; easily moved; sensational; as, an emotional nature.

I couldn't agree more with Doc Who...we can definitely agree to disagree. But, I too have a right to express my opinion here as I have done for quite a while...my thought are my own, though I'm sure they are shared by some in Maura's family. I am not writing as a representative of Maura's family and why would it matter if I were...they too have a right to their opinion. Several months after Maura disappeared, I met Maura's father and one of her sisters...I have never met Maura, I have never seen Maura, I have never spoken to Maura.

I have done considerable research into missing persons and unsolved homicides in general and Maura's disappearance in particular. I have read hundred of articles on Maura's disappearance and read many more than once, each time finding new information. I have discussed many scenarios of Maura's disappearance...including the fact that she might be voluntarily missing...I respectfully disagree with your conclusions and theory. I truly hope I am wrong.
9:34 p.m.

Kelly said:
I don't know about the LE in Maura's case, but my LE and LE in many other cases run SS# checks now and then to see if there is any activity. They then tell me there is none. No one needs to be paid off. LE should just do it.

Kelly

Kelly - I think in many cases, they are bound by law and privacy issues not to search. I know in the US adults are allowed to go missing if they want and you can't legally search their SS if there is reason to believe they wanted to leave.

Remember that case a couple months ago, the family had searched for years but it wasn't until they declared their daughter legally dead after 7 years, SS stepped in and stated she was working at a chain store in Oklahoma. Like, in a week of declaring her dead they had her work location.

edited to add: Kelly, I completely agree that SS should be able to search and notify the family. Maybe it could be that they notify the missing person first, that they have 2 weeks to contact their family, or SS will just announce that they are alive and well and working and don't want their family to contact them. It seems awful to just not know.

KatherineQ said:
Kelly - I think in many cases, they are bound by law and privacy issues not to search. I know in the US adults are allowed to go missing if they want and you can't legally search their SS if there is reason to believe they wanted to leave.

IT is LE who searches for activity, not the SS Administration. LE can and does search for activity in wage reporting on missing persons cases via SS# records, legally. The FBI also does these checks.

Perhaps we are not talking about exactly the same thing. I could not search these records myself, but LE can.

Brandi Stahr was found because of a public tip called in. I think her story is great in the sense of hope it gives to families like Maura's and mine.

Kelly

The SSA also provides a letter forwarding service under special circumstances:

We will attempt to forward a letter to a missing person under circumstances involving a matter of great importance, such as a death or serious illness in the missing person's immediate family, or a sizeable amount of money that is due the missing person. Also, the circumstances must concern a matter about which the missing person is unaware and would undoubtedly want to be informed. (Generally, when a son, daughter, brother, or sister wishes to establish contact, we write to the missing person, rather than forward a letter from the relative.) Because this service is not related in any way to a Social Security program, its use must be limited so that it does not interfere with our regular program activities.

There is no charge for forwarding letters that have a humanitarian purpose. However, we must charge a $25 (effective July 1, 2001) fee to cover our costs when the letter is to inform the missing person of money or property due him or her. This fee is not refundable. The fee should be paid by a check that is made payable to the Social Security Administration.

We must read each letter we forward to ensure that it contains nothing that could prove embarrassing to the missing person if read by a third party. We do not believe that it would be proper to open a sealed letter; therefore, a letter that is sent to us for forwarding should be in a plain, unstamped, unsealed envelope showing only the missing person's name. Nothing of value should be enclosed.

To try to locate an address in our records, we need the missing person's Social Security number or identifying information to help us find the number. The identifying information needed is the person's date and place of birth, the father's name, and the mother's full birth name.

Usually, we forward a letter in care of the employer who most recently reported earnings for the missing person. We normally would have the current home address only if the person is receiving benefits. Therefore, we cannot assure that a letter will be delivered or that a reply will be received. Also, we cannot send a second letter.

Requests for letter forwarding should be sent to:

Social Security Administration
Letter Forwarding
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, MD 21290-3022

Social Security Administration - Missng Persons Letter Forwarding

Coincidentally, I will be featuring a story on my blog this week about a SS related case.

So, the question remains for those in the know, does LE in Maura's case do a SS check now and then for activity?

I think that it would be wrong for SS Admin to divulge information about SS activity. If that person has chosen not to contact family, but to lead a life away from them, the SS shouldn't have the right to destroy that. I know it would be frustrating for families not to have the answers when they are that easy to have, but it's not the job of SS to help them get the answers. Let's say you have a woman running from an abusive husband but every time she gets a job somewhere, the husband has the right to know that? She would never have a chance of getting away from him.

In a case close to me of a missing 25-year old (as of his disappearance in 1998), LE told me in an e-mail that they check his SS # for activity on a regular basis.

LButler said:
I think that it would be wrong for SS Admin to divulge information about SS activity. If that person has chosen not to contact family, but to lead a life away from them, the SS shouldn't have the right to destroy that. I know it would be frustrating for families not to have the answers when they are that easy to have, but it's not the job of SS to help them get the answers. Let's say you have a woman running from an abusive husband but every time she gets a job somewhere, the husband has the right to know that? She would never have a chance of getting away from him.

In a case close to me of a missing 25-year old (as of his disappearance in 1998), LE told me in an e-mail that they check his SS # for activity on a regular basis.

It's a balancing act, for sure, knowing when to investigate and when to let an adult leave secretly. But there is also the interest of society in finding out if someone has been grabbed off the streets and murdered, because then society as a whole has a concern in finding and apprehending a violent killer. Maybe there should be some kind of a system where adults who have no legal obligations to their families could put a Do Not Disturb flag on their SS and be left alone.

I realized tonight that my post about Maura's time at West Point must be in error, which has not been corrected by Peabody or by a family member who knows the dates.

I see in Part II of the All American Girl series on Maura on the Jolkowski website and blogs that Maura graduated from Whitman Hanson High in June 2000, 4th in her class, scored 1420 on SATs and got accepted to West Point.

I see in a quick google search one track and field result from a meet at Lehigh University that both Julie and Maura Murray are listed as competitors for Army in the same category--both Katherine and Julie attended West Point, so I had not realized that Maura overlapped with Julie.

The Part II summary says that Maura was at West Point one and a half years

Maura was in the middle of her junior year at U. Mass so she must have completed two semesters in Amherst, Spring 2003 and Fall 2003?

In any case there seems to be a missing six months or longer period where Maura was not attending college, before she switched over to U. Mass.

I do not know why she left West Point & chemical engineering to switch to U. Mass and nursing but this is a huge change, and for such a bright girl seems a puzzling move.

hydemi said:
I realized tonight that my post about Maura's time at West Point must be in error, which has not been corrected by Peabody or by a family member who knows the dates. . .
Thank you for posting the info. I may send you a message if that's ok.

hydemi said:
I realized tonight that my post about Maura's time at West Point must be in error, which has not been corrected by Peabody or by a family member who knows the dates.

I see in Part II of the All American Girl series on Maura on the Jolkowski website and blogs that Maura graduated from Whitman Hanson High in June 2000, 4th in her class, scored 1420 on SATs and got accepted to West Point.

I see in a quick google search one track and field result from a meet at Lehigh University that both Julie and Maura Murray are listed as competitors for Army in the same category--both Katherine and Julie attended West Point, so I had not realized that Maura overlapped with Julie.

The Part II summary says that Maura was at West Point one and a half years

Maura was in the middle of her junior year at U. Mass so she must have completed two semesters in Amherst, Spring 2003 and Fall 2003?

In any case there seems to be a missing six months or longer period where Maura was not attending college, before she switched over to U. Mass.

I do not know why she left West Point & chemical engineering to switch to U. Mass and nursing but this is a huge change, and for such a bright girl seems a puzzling move.
I thought I had posted regarding not only some of this information, but also some other information that has been around, but is in error. Hope this helps:

First, Maura's sisters are Kathleen and Julie.

Kathleen NEVER attended West Point. She is not in the army, nor was she ever in the army.

Julie graduated from West Point in 2002 after a 4 year stay beginning in June of 1998. She is currently an officer in the army, serving a 5 year stay which is required of any graduate of West Point. Julie and Billy, Maura's boyfriend were classmates. Julie introduced them to each other. Billy is also currently an officer in the army completing his 5 year commitment. (After serving their 5 years, they will choose whether or not they want to make the army a career, which would be an additional 15 year stay)

Maura began her West Point stay in June of 2000 and left in January of 2002 after completing the summer Beast Training in 2000 ( a more indepth Army Basic Training Program), 3 academic semesters (the two for her Freshman year during the fall of 2000 and winter of 2001 and her final academic semester during her sophomore year the fall of 2001. She also completed Military Intercession at WP during January of 2002. before leaving for UMass.

Maura began her UMass stay in January of 2002 and disappeared in Febuary of 2004. She went directly from WP to Umass. She was at UMass BEFORE the academic semester began in February because she was practicing with the track team. Therefiore, Maura completed 4 semesters at UMass and was just beginning her 5th when she disappeared.

Maura NEVER missed one semester of college.

She transferred from WP to UMass mid-term because she had missed the application deadline for a transfer to UMass for their fall semester of 2001.

Maura knew by the end of the first academic semester at WP during her freshman year (2000) that she wanted to transfer (BECAUSE she knew she did not want to serve in the military for 5 years upon her graduation). But leaving WP is not as easy as just dropping out. A WP student is considered active duty military and in order to leave with a good report must meet required processes, counceling sessions as well as completing a process in order to be discharged.

Also, Maura had to have a full scholarship in order to continue her education. Therefore, she could not begin the process to leave WP UNTIL she had everything in order to attend another school.

It is my understanding that her father DID NOT assist her in her search/choice of UMass, but a decision that she made on her own, and one that he supported. It is also my understanding that the first criteria in her decision for a transfer school was that she be provided full scholarship; the second criteria was that she be near to WP because of her relationship with her boyfriend at WP. (Amherst is 150 miles WP) She started her search in early 2001, but as previously noted between the army requirements and obtaining information/applying for scholarships, she was unable to leave WP prior to Jan 2002 WITHOUT missing some college.

As you said, Maura was very bright: she ELECTED to attend WP for 2 semesters AFTER having decided she wanted to leave. (I would suggest that you do a search on WP and the difficulty its students endure academically, physically and mentally. In addition, Maura was a Varsity Athlete. She earned her Varsity Letter the fall of her Plebe Year. This in itself is no small feat at any school, but much more difficult at WP, and added to the difficulty of day-to-day life while at WP)

Although Maura knew she was leaving WP, she also knew she would be completing her Freshman year in 2001 and to avoid a break in her college career, she would also need to attend the 2001 fall semester of her Sophomore year at WP.

When Maura transferred to UMass, she transferred as a chemical engineering student. However, in the fall of 2002, she sought to change her major to nursing. It is my understanding that Maura had to pull many strings and work very hard to make the change. There were only a handful of open seats in the nursing program and Maura was not in the nursing pre-requisite program. I have been told that she studied independently, along with taking her chemical engineeriing courses and making Dean's list, and took the tests that QUALIFIED her to earn a seat in the nursing program over students who had taken the pre-requisties to enter nursing. Maura was officially accepted into the UMass nursing program in January of 2003.

I also know there are people who knew Maura, both friend and family, who challenged her about her decision to enter nursing. It seems, they, like you thought her too bright to be "just a nurse". However, she told these same people that she liked working with and helping people and that she did not find any interest in the field of chemical engineering. One must also realize that WP DOES NOT offer a major in nursing or any medical field UNTIL after graduation. WHEN one goes on to the medical field from WP, it requires an additonal commitment to the five years already owed to the army. It is also my understanding that as the future permitted and after her marriage, Maura was going to pursue additional schooling in the medical field, so she was not going to be "just a nurse". (I wonder how many nurses are offended that an intelligent young woman is described as wanting to be "just a nurse"?)

Maura was not only a very intelligent person, but also a very practical one. Her changing her major from chemical engineering to nursing from all accounts was totally her idea. When one gets to know the family, her desire to "help people" may be both a genetic/environmental influence: There are MANY members of both sides of Maura's family in a career related to the medical field. She was not following in the steps of her mother and father when she switched to nursing or reacting to some pressure - she was pursuing her own desires. She did/does not have a family that is controling/smothering their adult children. (As an advocate for Maura, I have been contacted by many people; one was a professor/advisor of Maura's. He/She has confirmed the report by her family and friends of her desire to be "just a nurse". He/she told me of more than one meeting with Maura in which he/she attempted to have Maura major in another field, but she was very firm about her choice as well as why it was her choice.) My gosh, just consider, two of the daughters applied to and were accepted at WP which requires 5 year tours in the army. Does this sound like a family who must always be telling their daughters what to do and wants control of them? I am sure military families will quickly fill us in with the knowledge that the military controls your life, not your family. I have daughters and I would panic if one or more of them wanted to be in the army, and would do all that I could to dissuade them (and it has nothing to do with us currently being at war). Yet, people who do not know Maura and do not know her family and friends are convinced that Maura found them ALL so difficult that she had to move on to start a new life. Although I am not of the opinion that Maura ever made plans to start a new life, I continue to pray that she has. But, please, let's not place blame on the people who love Maura most.

Bring Maura Home!
www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html

Sorry about "just a nurse" having been almost/just a good many things in my lifetime as well.

Clearly this talented driven young woman had already accomplished a great deal and could have done (is doing?) much with her life.

I am glad to hear she was back practising with the track team at U. Mass.

Having had to do what amounted to an extra year to make the change of schools and programs shows how motivated she was.

And I understand something about how the military works in one's life--having just returned from a family funeral in SE Virginia, where nearly all of my relations are or were involved in military careers in some way or another.

My impression remains that Maura was experiencing an inner conflict over her school & career choices, and have said above that I think she intended to return to U. Mass that week to withdraw officially, meeting the deadline for withdrawing in good standing as she re-evaluated everything.

If she ran away and kept running, it was a hasty decision made after the second accident, or so it appears to me--surely by now some evidence of prior planning would have emerged?

And the unexplained phone call received by Lt Rausch still appears to me to most likely have come from Maura, and if she had connected with him on 2/11 it could have been in part because she was still deeply ambivalent about whatever choice she was making (assuming she was not being "held").

BTW if this phone call could ever be shown not to have come from Maura, I would return to my original wondering about hypothermia being the most likely explanation for her disappearance.

thanks for much more detail than I expected.

hydemi said:
Sorry about "just a nurse" having been almost/just a good many things in my lifetime as well.

Clearly this talented driven young woman had already accomplished a great deal and could have done (is doing?) much with her life.

I am glad to hear she was back practising with the track team at U. Mass.

Having had to do what amounted to an extra year to make the change of schools and programs shows how motivated she was.

And I understand something about how the military works in one's life--having just returned from a family funeral in SE Virginia, where nearly all of my relations are or were involved in military careers in some way or another.

My impression remains that Maura was experiencing an inner conflict over her school & career choices, and have said above that I think she intended to return to U. Mass that week to withdraw officially, meeting the deadline for withdrawing in good standing as she re-evaluated everything.

If she ran away and kept running, it was a hasty decision made after the second accident, or so it appears to me--surely by now some evidence of prior planning would have emerged?

And the unexplained phone call received by Lt Rausch still appears to me to most likely have come from Maura, and if she had connected with him on 2/11 it could have been in part because she was still deeply ambivalent about whatever choice she was making (assuming she was not being "held").

BTW if this phone call could ever be shown not to have come from Maura, I would return to my original wondering about hypothermia being the most likely explanation for her disappearance.

thanks for much more detail than I expected.
You are welcome for the information. The additional detail was provided in hopes that it helps everyone to know Maura better.

I am in agreement with you that it seems highly likely that Maura was experiencing some sort of conflict in her life.........but being privy to ALL of the information that her family has learned (there is not any particular information that has not been released - I am referring to facts, comments and opinions of those who know Maura best, those who went to school with her and those with whom she socialized) and with no information that supports any particular issue, I am leaning towards the theory that Maura needed time away because of *burn out*.

I also agree that IF her room was packed that she was considering withdrawing from UMass and had it ready to load up in HER car so that upon her return to UMass, she would not have to endure for a lengthy time while she packed, the pleas of her friends to stay. But, I still don't think we can eliminate the possibility that the room had not been unpacked.

Beginning with her stay at WP in June of 2000, Maura had experienced almost 4 years of college with two very demanding, difficult and uninterrupted years at WP. During her time at UMass, she worked TWO part time jobs and for one and half years also ran track and cross country in addition to her maintaining Dean's List Honors and a relationship with a boyfriend who was stationed half a nation away after his graduation in 2002. Let's face it, Maura was living a stress filled life. But, this in itself does not provide evidence that Maura would want to run away to start a new life.

Her family and friends have said they seriously doubt that she had any money set aside because she flew to see the boyfriend as often as both of their schedules allowed. I know that the boyfriend assisted her in the cost of these flights, but even IF he paid for all of them in full, (based on his beginning grade lieutenant's pay, it is unlikely that he could afford to do so), she would have missed work during these visits, reducing her income. My guess is that after paying for her personal expenses, there was little money remaining for her to stash away. As I stated in an earlier post, Maura was already financially independent of her parents.

Maura knew that her boyfriend and her sister Julie could receive orders to Iraq or Afganistan at any time. Surely, this was of great concern to her and added to her stress.

I personally think it very possible that Maura was just needing time to make decisions (but the possibility remains that she may have just needed rest): the possible decision that comes to my mind is "should I withdraw UMass and move to OKlahoma?" During a visit with her boyfriend in late 2003, Maura had been hired by a local hospital in Oklahoma to work the summer of 2004. From what I have learned of Maura, she absolutely doted on her boyfriend. However, she was not scheduled to graduate until 2005, and a summer combined with a few weekends here and there may not have been enough to satisify her need to be with him. Having worked so hard for nearly four years, I am sure (if either of us are correct) that regarding decision making that would entail leaving UMass, Maura would not want to make the decision lightly or in haste......therefore, it seems logical that she would make plans to get away from school and life in general in order to have a clear mind; this would even explain her *need* not to tell her parents, her boyfriend, or friends (if I am correct, just as she decided to be a nurse, she would decide on what choice to make for **now** and she would make it alone) as to risk driving the car.......you recall how when you are young, taking risks is so natural; Those who know Maura will tell you that when it came to being courageous and independent, even as a child, Maura was more so than your average person.

Maura had 2 sets of running clothes with her. It is a fact that Maura ran 5-6 miles daily regardless of her schedule, the weather, etc. Those who know her best say that she IF she was angry, troubled, worried, etc., that she would run to work out the kinks in life. Maura loved running. She loved the White Mountains. Don't we all want to be/do the things we "love" in order to achieve some rest.

We can only guess, but it seems likely that she was planning on time alone, perhaps "running" as an aide to make a decision of some sort; or perhaps it was all just *burn out* and she just needed a rest. I know she spent the holidays prior to her missing divided between her family and friends in Hanson MA and CT, friends in western NY and with her boyfriend's family in OH. Even without traveling, the holidays are notorious for creating stress, and Maura could not possibly have had any physical or mental rest while keeping up a social pace that involved three physcial locations and traveling at least 1600 miles in two weeks. For all we know, she felt she must have a week's rest before entering another pressure cooker semester of nursing, work and being away from her boyfriend.

One cannot deny that Maura planned on a short-term get-a-way for what ever her reasons. However, there is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE to indicate prior planning to run away, or the desire to run away.

I too think that IF we knew for certain who the caller was on the morning of Wed, 2/11/04, we would know more about the case. Like so many other things in Maura's case, a *short* amount of time when the boyfriend was unavailale made so much difference. Had the boyfriend been available to take the call and it was Maura, I have no doubt that he and her family would not be enduring the heartache of not knowing where she is.

As always, my prayers for Maura to be found soon and for the comfort of all those who love her.

Bring Maura Home!
www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com\mauramurray.html

sorry for these long posts ~ I know they can be difficult to read.

You made these two following statements in separate posts and I wonder if you might reconcile the two for me. How had she "completed 4 semesters at UMass and was just beginning her 5th " and still managed to not unpack her dorm room? Also I would think someone would have remarked about that, one of her friends or something. It was reported in news reports that she had even taken the pictures down from the walls so I am thinking they either had an actual source for that info (to have known the pics were ever up on the walls in the first place) or they would have had to make it up from whole cloth.
Peabody said:
. . .She was at UMass BEFORE the academic semester began in February because she was practicing with the track team. Therefiore, Maura completed 4 semesters at UMass and was just beginning her 5th when she disappeared. . .
Peabody said:
. . ."But, I still don't think we can eliminate the possibility that the room had not been unpacked. ". . .

docwho3 said:
You made these two following statements in separate posts and I wonder if you might reconcile the two for me. How had she "completed 4 semesters at UMass and was just beginning her 5th " and still managed to not unpack her dorm room? Also I would think someone would have remarked about that, one of her friends or something. It was reported in news reports that she had even taken the pictures down from the walls so I am thinking they either had an actual source for that info (to have known the pics were ever up on the walls in the first place) or they would have had to make it up from whole cloth.
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression she had a bag or suitcase that she didn't unpack. I don't recall anything about pictures being removed from walls or anything like that.

As for an unpacked bag - I have to admit I am very guilty of that. I moved into my apartment last June and I still have 3 boxes left to unpack. I also visited my parents a month ago and have yet to finish unpacking my suitcase. Mainly for the reason that they contain warm weather clothes which I don't need, and because I just stopped working 7 days/80 + hours per week and I would much rather sleep on the rare occasion when I am not working.

Masterj said:
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression she had a bag or suitcase that she didn't unpack. I don't recall anything about pictures being removed from walls or anything like that.

As for an unpacked bag - I have to admit I am very guilty of that. I moved into my apartment last June and I still have 3 boxes left to unpack. I also visited my parents a month ago and have yet to finish unpacking my suitcase. Mainly for the reason that they contain warm weather clothes which I don't need, and because I just stopped working 7 days/80 + hours per week and I would much rather sleep on the rare occasion when I am not working.
Note:I added the bolding.
"Sometime between Sunday and Monday morning, she packed up all her belongings in her dorm room, to include taking all her pictures off the walls, taking everything out of her bureaus, [and] put them all in boxes [and] left [them] on her bed,"
http://www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/01/26/41f802f9653c2

The only way for her to have left things packed in boxes and on her bed (edited to add: and yet to never have unpacked in the first place when she moved in) was to never have slept there in all that time. I find that a bit odd sounding.

reconcile?
Posted by DocWho3 to Peabody:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody
. . .She was at UMass BEFORE the academic semester began in February because she was practicing with the track team. Therefiore, Maura completed 4 semesters at UMass and was just beginning her 5th when she disappeared. . .

Maura completed the following semesters at UMass:

1. Winter Quarter beginning Jan 2002 at which time she was a chemical engineering transfer student- she moved onto the UMass campus in mid Jan of 02 at which time she began practicing with the UMass Track Team. She completed WP Military Intercession and out processing from the army at the end of the second week of Jan 2002.

2. Fall Quarter beginning Sept 2002 - majoring in chemical engineering

3. Winter Quarter beginning Jan 2003 - officially accepted into the nursing program

4. Fall Quarter beginning Sept 2003

5. Winter Quarter beginning Jan 28 - voluntarily left school for one week on the afternoon of Feb 9th and mysteriously vanished that evening.

She was not in the same dorm room during all of this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody
. . ."But, I still don't think we can eliminate the possibility that the room had not been unpacked. ". . .

As to not having had unpacked her dorm room, Maura was in different dorm rooms during 2002 and 2003. It is also my understanding that she was required to remove her personal things over the holiday break, and not permitted to return to her dorm until Tues, Jan 27. The boyfriend's mother related that when Maura left her home after Christmas 2003 that she needed an additional suitcase to take home her Christmas gifts. When Mrs. Rausch retrieved the suitcase for her, Maura laughed because Mrs. Rausch still had clothing in it from the time they both had visited Lt Rausch in the spring of 2003. Maura remarked that they were very much alike: that she NEVER unpacked her things - she said her way of unpacking was to remove the clothing/items as needed and then after washing them she replaced them in the proper place. Because of the first hand knowledge of this story, and the fact that Maura only had two weekends at school before disappearing, one of which she spent with her Dad looking for a new car, it is my opinion that it is very likely that Maura may not have UNPACKED.

If this is in fact the way that Maura dealt with unpacking, I do not find it strange that her bureau drawers would have been empty and/or that there were no posters on the walls. I have been told that Maura was not one who plastered her walls with decorations. She had very simple tastes. I cannot comment on your reference to the news story stating that she had removed "pictures" from the walls. This may be true, or it may be a mistake. I do know there are many errors in the news articles.

But, even without knowing Maura, Masterj's post supports the lifestyle of unpacking as you go - it is very common among women, especially very busy women.

docwho3 said:
Note:I added the bolding.
"Sometime between Sunday and Monday morning, she packed up all her belongings in her dorm room, to include taking all her pictures off the walls, taking everything out of her bureaus, [and] put them all in boxes [and] left [them] on her bed,"
http://www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/01/26/41f802f9653c2

The only way for her to have left things packed in boxes and on her bed (edited to add: and yet to never have unpacked in the first place when she moved in) was to never have slept there in all that time. I find that a bit odd sounding.
As I said, I cannot factually comment on the article in the daily collegian regarding everything out of her bureaus and taking all of her pictures off of her walls. However, please check out the second photo from the bottom on the left side of this link www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html This is a photo of Maura and her boyfriend in her dorm room. As you can see, there are not pictures or even posters hanging near her desk.......if she were "in to" pictures/posters, I would assume that she would have one hanging over her desk, or at least near it.

Again, I cannot factually comment on Maura leaving things packed and on her bed, but it still fits with my habit (and that of Mrs. Rausch and Masterj) - If I were leaving for a week and I had not unpacked, I would have my unpacked bag on the bed to remove the items I would be taking with me, and I would most likely leave the *packed* bag that I would not be taking with me on the bed.

Any of you other ladies out there who make a habit of unpacking only as you find it necessary have any comments/opinons regarding these thoughts?

Bring Maura Home !

www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com\mauramurray.html

Peabody said:
. . .As to not having had unpacked her dorm room, Maura was in different dorm rooms during 2002 and 2003. It is also my understanding that she was required to remove her personal things over the holiday break, and not permitted to return to her dorm until Tues, Jan 27. The boyfriend's mother related that when Maura left her home after Christmas 2003 that she needed an additional suitcase to take home her Christmas gifts. When Mrs. Rausch retrieved the suitcase for her, Maura laughed because Mrs. Rausch still had clothing in it from the time they both had visited Lt Rausch in the spring of 2003. Maura remarked that they were very much alike: that she NEVER unpacked her things - she said her way of unpacking was to remove the clothing/items as needed and then after washing them she replaced them in the proper place. Because of the first hand knowledge of this story, and the fact that Maura only had two weekends at school before disappearing, one of which she spent with her Dad looking for a new car, it is my opinion that it is very likely that Maura may not have UNPACKED.

If this is in fact the way that Maura dealt with unpacking, I do not find it strange that her bureau drawers would have been empty and/or that there were no posters on the walls. I have been told that Maura was not one who plastered her walls with decorations. She had very simple tastes. I cannot comment on your reference to the news story stating that she had removed "pictures" from the walls. This may be true, or it may be a mistake. I do know there are many errors in the news articles.

But, even without knowing Maura, Masterj's post supports the lifestyle of unpacking as you go - it is very common among women, especially very busy women.
Ok, It may or may not be common to fully unpack but how many of them just leave those bags and boxes too on the bed so they can't use the bed without moving those items and then replacing them every day? Even if, as you say, the items were only in the room for 2 weeks where did she sleep?

Docwho3 said:
Ok, It may or may not be common to fully unpack but how many of them just leave those bags and boxes too on the bed so they can't use the bed without moving those items and then replacing them every day? Even if, as you say, the items were only in the room for 2 weeks where did she sleep?
I did not mean to imply her bags were on her bed the entire time that she was at school. I have no factual knowledge of either bags or boxes being found on her bed after she went missing.

I was told that when the boyfriend went through the dorm room at the invitation of the UMass police, that there was a WP sweatshirt and some stuffed animals on her bed.

What I was saying, was IF it is true that there were boxes and bags on her bed that I personally do not find that unusal based on my routine method of packing for trips:

If I am packing for a trip and have not unpacked other bags/boxes as we are speculating that Maura may have done, I place my unpacked bags on my bed (for ease of going through them for the items I needed). Once I pack the
bag(s) I am taking with me, I leave the unpacked bags/boxes on my bed. This is exactly what I do now.......I always get out things I need as well as having to unpack the items that are left in my bags from the last trip that I took. So, when I leave on a trip it is common place for my bed to be littered with clothing and other bags with articles left in them that I am not taking with me. I feel that IF there were bags and boxes left on her bed, that this is a very likely explanation.

Of course I am speculating on what she may have done, but I am basing the speculation on the exact way that I pack. That is why I asked for comments/opinions from other women that use the same unorthodox method of not unpacking their bags until they need something from them, or when they take another trip.

Hope this clarifies my earlier post for you.

:)

Bring Maura Home!
www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics