NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this case wasn't so old I would search those woods myself. Sadly I feel that Maura got lost in the pitch dark cold night and also suffered a concussion which obviously did not help her condition any. It pains me to say, but I feel she is in the woods and maybe by some slim chance someone will find her remains and give her family some sort of closure.

Agreed. It is incredibly dark. Miles of pitchblack darkness. If you hold up your own hand in front of your face, you wouldn't be able to see it. Your eyes can adjust somewhat, but I still think it would have been very disorienting for Maura that night.

Great, hope you can find something. OK this gets even more weird as far as the trip is concerned. I also assumed that she was going to stay roughly a week. So whether she rented a condo or the cheapest hotel, no way was $200 going to cut it, not even close. She HAD to have had a CC on her and possibly more cash. I think that a lot of potential info was over looked in this case.

Well, I missed it. She did have a cc. So, that was probably her plan. Maybe, she was also going to use it for food too.

Disappearance of Maura Murray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's also possible that at some point, a friend was going to join her. Let's put it this way: if she was really so upset and needing to get away, someone knew about it. That same person may not be telling about plans to meet her up there. This is not to imply that such a person was responsible for her disappearance, only that someone may have know more about her state of mind and had been thinking of joining her up there, and then when she disappeared decided not to say anything so as to not tell what he/she knew. If it was a male, he might not have wanted to complicate matters and make himself a suspect, not to mention hurting Maura's boyfriend even more. Just some possibilities.

Even with a credit card, a week at a resort condo would be pricy. At least with a condo, she could use the kitchen for meals.

Be careful about Wikipedia; there are a few errors here, mainly that Maura had "packed up" to leave her room. There has been speculation that she never fully unpacked.

It's also possible that at some point, a friend was going to join her. Let's put it this way: if she was really so upset and needing to get away, someone knew about it. That same person may not be telling about plans to meet her up there. This is not to imply that such a person was responsible for her disappearance, only that someone may have know more about her state of mind and had been thinking of joining her up there, and then when she disappeared decided not to say anything so as to not tell what he/she knew. If it was a male, he might not have wanted to complicate matters and make himself a suspect, not to mention hurting Maura's boyfriend even more. Just some possibilities.

Even with a credit card, a week at a resort condo would be pricy. At least with a condo, she could use the kitchen for meals.

Be careful about Wikipedia; there are a few errors here, mainly that Maura had "packed up" to leave her room. There has been speculation that she never fully unpacked.

When you say, "There has been speculation that she never fully unpacked," what do you mean? Thanks!

Kiln Wood,

A popular theory concerning Maura is that she was suicidal and so she packed up her dorm room before she left (Took everything off the walls, everything out of her drawers and boxed them up neatly, to save her family or whomever the grief of having to do that later on down the road).

The parents and close friends vehemently deny that Maura was suicidial and explain away the packed dorm room as being because Maura had never had the chance to unpack for the start of a new semester. Maura did go away from school for a month or two in between semesters, and likely took most or all of her valuables. And school at UMASS starts later in the spring, so technically she may have just gotten back to the dorm, shortly before she went on her unannounced trip, therefore, she may have never fully unpacked.

I almost always believed the suicide theory, based heavily on the packed dorm room, because the way the police have described it is that Maura not only had everything packed up in her dorm room but it was in neat stacks on her bed.

To me, that would rule out the whole notion of her never unpacking from her in-between semester break. Her bed would need to have been cleared off so she could sleep. If boxes were stacked up on her bed then maybe there is something to the whole suicide theory.

Just another bizarre issue concerning this case whree you have the police describing something that is contested by family and friends of Maura.

Just to add some thoughts to Maura's first wreck.

I guess there is a pretty tricky T-bone intersection that she would've came across en route to her father's hotel (Quality Inn) which was 6-10 miles away in a neighboring town (Hadley) from where Maura's dorm was.

That is likely from all acounts where she wrecked. She may of kept driving through and drove right into a guard rail and yet another snow bank. (there is a yellow flashing light to warn folks not to drive through the t-bone)

She got a ride to the hotel from the tow truck driver. So that means she showed up around 3:30-4 to the quality inn with her dad's smashed up car right along with her.

What is so baffling, is that the drinking get-together Maura attended that night was AT HER OWN DORM. So her leaving that party and going to her dad's hotel in a neighboring town made no sense whatsoever and the father was not at all expecting her to come that night, wrecked car or no wrecked car.

I also think Maura had been drinking based on her friend's interviews as the friends also noted Maura as appearing very tired, but that she kept on saying how she wanted to take her dads car back to him. (they thought that was a very bad idea).

But how much she had to drink will never be known, because police didn't pursue that angle (maybe were cutting her a break, maybe felt bad for her, maybe felt she wasn't impaired) we will never know the answer to that one.

One other thought

While Police likely have some information that has never been released due to their "Investigation" it is likely that some of that information may have come from their search of Maura's computer.

They would be able to pull up just about anything Maura ever accessed or typed from the day she got the computer.

even if they turned back the computer over to family, family may no longer have that ability to get the same info.

I would think if she had a mystery lover, or a mystery friend, or even was going to have an abortion, something would've turned up on her computer. Sadly, there could even be things linked to depression or suicide as well.

The police may have information that no one else has, which leads to their conclusions. Yet I doubt Maura could be going through an abortion without doing some sort of research on the topic. And I doubt Maura could've had a secret friend because her computer, phone etc... were all gone through I assume quite extensively and she would have had to been awful clever from day one if she was going to have a secret affair to cover her tracks immediately (finding a clandestine way to communicate that can't be traced).

I can understand that Maura possibly didn't get to unpack from before, but what about her taking down her pictures off the wall? Surely the police know this to be true as I'm sure her friends and her dad would have disputed this if untrue. So if this is the case it's wierd to me she did this and makes it more likey that she did pack up her other things. Also she had her favorite stuffed animal with her. Was she in the habit of taking this with her on trips?

There are, indeed, conflicting views about the state of her room when she left.

There is further evidence suggesting that Maura had intended to leave campus for at least a few days. Maura had "fastidiously packed all her belongings into boxes before she left school, even removing the art from her dorm room walls," the Boston Globe reported, citing UMass Police Lieutenant Robert Thrasher.

"It looked like she was planning to leave school," said Lieutenant John Scarinza of the New Hampshire State Police.

Although police and some friends suggest from her packing that Maura may have been intending to leave school permanently, there is reason to doubt such a conclusion.

Maura met her boyfriend, Billy Rausch, in the fall of 2001 while attending West Point. Maura was following in her sister Julie’s footsteps, but later decided military life wasn’t for her and transferred to UMass. Despite the distance Maura and Billy remained close.

Maura had recently returned from winter break. The University of Massachusetts has an unusually long break running from before Christmas into late January. Maura returned home to Hanson during her break and logically would have packed her belongings for such an extended time away. The UMass calendar refers to a "Welcome Back Week," occurring over the last week of January and into the first week in February. It is therefore plausible that Maura had been back on campus less than 10 days.

Family members also point out that Maura was a "neat-freak" by nature, so it wouldn't be unusual for the former West Point cadet to have her belongings carefully packed and arranged.

I agree that moving art from the walls looks to me like someone who intends to leave, or at least change dorm rooms. I think there are many possibilities, including wanting to get a roommate, change majors or schools, move closer to Billy, or just get away from someone on that hall. I can say, though, that my big bag and a tote are still in my spare room from a trip I made 3 weeks ago, half unpacked. So we can only guess.

Scarinza is not as credible as he might seem, given some of his other statements. I do not necessarily trust his impressions, his interpretations, or his ruminations in the media. The best place to start understanding the different positions that people take regarding the "evidence" as it has been reported, is with this Whitman-Hanson series, which is linked on Wikepedia. (There may be links somewhere here on WS, at least there used to be, but the W ones work for sure.) I would caution, again, against drawing conclusions based on what is on Wikipedia; there has been lots of work done by real reporters, private investigators, etc., and that is in the public domain.

Regarding the stuffed animal, I travel with college kids all the time and they take favorite pillows and all kinds of other stuff, even for a one-day or weekend trip.

http://southshorexpress.com//index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:maura-is-missing-part-i-the-departure&catid=912

Here are several examples of why looking at the Wikipedia article can lead sleuthers in the wrong direction.

At about 4 pm, Maura e-mailed one of her work supervisors and some of her teachers to inform them that there had been a death in her family and that she would be out of town for several days, despite there being no such case of death. Maura packed all her belongings into boxes and removed the art from her room walls.[8]

This passage from Wikipedia presents the "packing" as not only a FACT, but as part of a sequence of activities that started with phone calls regarding lodging (prior to 4 pm), moved to emailing her supervisors and teachers, and then on to packing, as if she finished the emails and then packed. There is absolutely no evidence of when she packed her belongings, whether she had packed in December, thinking of leaving for good, perhaps, and then, still ambivalent, failed to unpack, and so on. Scarinza and others have taken the "packing" as indication of her intent to disappear or commit suicide, but the emails and phone calls may point in another direction, possibly a decision to step out of her academic program for a few days and get the courage up to leave it. (For me, that explains the urge to see her dad in the middle of the night, the trip out of town, etc. It is easier for a "good student" to not go to class if he or she isn't on campus; otherwise, there are all of those "where were you questions" to face. But like everyone else, I am just guessing.) But it is easy to see how misleading this passage from Wikipedia is if someone hasn't read and re-read the newspaper archives on this case, looked at archived documents, seen photos of the cars and the accident seen in NH, etc.

Note that the Wikipedia article references the newspaper article (see the "8" note number) but manages to use the material in a misleading way. This may simply be a result of the fact that W does not have "editors" that read and question writers about what makes it into the text and how the information is presented.

Here are a few other issues:
1. The article doesn't mention that one eyewitness to the car at the scene of the second accident thought she saw a MAN smoking a cigarette. This could be of course just another case where an "eyewitness" is wrong, but the omission from the article smooths over other possibilities that have not been demonstrated to be false.
2. The article references one "possible sighting" that has been debunked.
3. The article does not discuss problems with the investigation, most notably how LE NEVER contacted the woman who owned the condo that Maura called about. It was much later that the mother of Maura's boyfriend contacted her, after so much time had passed that she did not recall speaking to Maura. This is a giant botched opportunity and indication that LE in NH had made up its mind that Maura was a runaway/suicide. (Although even a runaway can be abducted and murdered.)

As I tell my students, Wikipedia can be useful because of the links it provides. Go to the sources. Good journalists either look at conflicting points of view and make some effort to capture where people disagree about facts and their interpretation. And over time, with new material and investigation, the state of a case changes, and so it is important to read the whole archive, from the first stories to the latest. Mainstream media is not always satisfying to WSers, as reporters never know what LE knows, but it is the best we have, unless there are "insiders" posting here. I had the Wikipedia link in here but it is huge and has a picture and is linked above.

Here are several examples of why looking at the Wikipedia article can lead sleuthers in the wrong direction.

This passage from Wikipedia presents the "packing" as not only a FACT, but as part of a sequence of activities that started with phone calls regarding lodging (prior to 4 pm), moved to emailing her supervisors and teachers, and then on to packing, as if she finished the emails and then packed. There is absolutely no evidence of when she packed her belongings, whether she had packed in December, thinking of leaving for good, perhaps, and then, still ambivalent, failed to unpack, and so on. Scarinza and others have taken the "packing" as indication of her intent to disappear or commit suicide, but the emails and phone calls may point in another direction, possibly a decision to step out of her academic program for a few days and get the courage up to leave it. (For me, that explains the urge to see her dad in the middle of the night, the trip out of town, etc. It is easier for a "good student" to not go to class if he or she isn't on campus; otherwise, there are all of those "where were you questions" to face. But like everyone else, I am just guessing.) But it is easy to see how misleading this passage from Wikipedia is if someone hasn't read and re-read the newspaper archives on this case, looked at archived documents, seen photos of the cars and the accident seen in NH, etc.

Note that the Wikipedia article references the newspaper article (see the "8" note number) but manages to use the material in a misleading way. This may simply be a result of the fact that W does not have "editors" that read and question writers about what makes it into the text and how the information is presented.

1. The article doesn't mention that one eyewitness to the car at the scene of the second accident thought she saw a MAN smoking a cigarette. This could be of course just another case where an "eyewitness" is wrong, but the omission from the article smooths over other possibilities that have not been demonstrated to be false.
3. The article does not discuss problems with the investigation, most notably how LE NEVER contacted the woman who owned the condo that Maura called about. It was much later that the mother of Maura's boyfriend contacted her, after so much time had passed that she did not recall speaking to Maura. This is a giant botched opportunity and indication that LE in NH had made up its mind that Maura was a runaway/suicide. (Although even a runaway can be abducted and murdered.)

As I tell my students, Wikipedia can be useful because of the links it provides. Go to the sources. Good journalists either look at conflicting points of view and make some effort to capture where people disagree about facts and their interpretation. And over time, with new material and investigation, the state of a case changes, and so it is important to read the whole archive, from the first stories to the latest. Mainstream media is not always satisfying to WSers, as reporters never know what LE knows, but it is the best we have, unless there are "insiders" posting here. I had the Wikipedia link in here but it is huge and has a picture and is linked above.

A lot of good info there so thanks. OK so one thing that is either never mentioned or I missed it is, has anyone ever talked to Maura's dad or any of her friends to ask if her boxes where even packed? Surely her Dad was in her room at least once? This seems like such a simple thing to clear up.

I remember the lady across the way daying she thought that she saw someone light up a cig while Maura was outside the car. Did Maura smoke, if no then did the inside of her car have any ashes and did it smell like smoke? Again, seem like a simple thing to check on. Cig smell never leaves a car. Of course there is always the possibilty that her friends did too.

I remember the lady across the way daying she thought that she saw someone light up a cig while Maura was outside the car. Did Maura smoke, if no then did the inside of her car have any ashes and did it smell like smoke? Again, seem like a simple thing to check on. Cig smell never leaves a car. Of course there is always the possibilty that her friends did too.

(Up next: recap of cellphone vs cigarette)

If you look far enough back into the archives of this thread you might be able to find the answers to a lot of your questions. Just sayin'.

(Up next: recap of cellphone vs cigarette)

If you look far enough back into the archives of this thread you might be able to find the answers to a lot of your questions. Just sayin'.

Yeah I do remmeber the cell phone red light theory. Now the question is, was Maura outside the car when the lady saw a light? If so then was she not alone?

About maura's dorm room

I will have to go back and dig it up when I have time, but one of the LT's is quoted as saying Maura had all of her stuff packed into boxes, stacked on her bed with a note on top.

It might have been from a news story or from TV.

The police have indicated several times, especially early on, that Maura may have been suicidial. The parents and friends do not agree at all. It is very possible police have information that the parents and friends have never seen before because of the "on-going investigation" or else the police had been just taking dark stabs at what happened to Maura.

When you say, "There has been speculation that she never fully unpacked," what do you mean? Thanks!

Her mother stated in an article that Maura had packed practically everything in her dorm room and moved it home on winter break. After winter break was over, she moved it all back to the dorm room. A lot of her things were still in boxes, because she didn't have a chance to unpack. I think she was only back to school for a couple of weeks when she disappeared.

Here is something on it:

"Maura had recently returned from winter break. The University of Massachusetts has an unusually long break running from before Christmas into late January. Maura returned home to Hanson during her break and logically would have packed her belongings for such an extended time away. The UMass calendar refers to a "Welcome Back Week," occurring over the last week of January and into the first week in February. It is therefore plausible that Maura had been back on campus less than 10 days."

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=112345878791938&topic=18

Many of the old links on stories about Maura are starting to disappear. Some can be accessed through Highbeam, but it requires a fee.

This passage from Wikipedia presents the "packing" as not only a FACT, but as part of a sequence of activities that started with phone calls regarding lodging (prior to 4 pm), moved to emailing her supervisors and teachers, and then on to packing, as if she finished the emails and then packed. There is absolutely no evidence of when she packed her belongings, whether she had packed in December, thinking of leaving for good, perhaps, and then, still ambivalent, failed to unpack, and so on. Scarinza and others have taken the "packing" as indication of her intent to disappear or commit suicide, but the emails and phone calls may point in another direction, possibly a decision to step out of her academic program for a few days and get the courage up to leave it. (For
me, that explains the urge to see her dad in the middle of the night, the trip out of town, etc. It is easier for a "good student" to not go to class if he or she isn't on campus; otherwise, there are all of those "where were you questions" to face. But like everyone else, I am just guessing.) But it is easy to see how misleading this passage from Wikipedia is if someone hasn't read and re-read the newspaper archives on this case, looked at archived documents, seen photos of the cars and the accident seen in NH, etc.

1. The article doesn't mention that one eyewitness to the car at the scene of the second accident thought she saw a MAN smoking a cigarette. This could be of course just another case where an "eyewitness" is wrong, but the omission from the article smooths over other possibilities that have not been
demonstrated to be false.

As I tell my students, Wikipedia can be useful because of the links it provides. Go to the sources. Good journalists either look at conflicting points of view and make some effort to capture where people disagree about facts and their interpretation. And over time, with new material and investigation, the state of a case changes, and so it is important to read the whole archive, from the first
stories to the latest. Mainstream media is not always satisfying to WSers, as reporters never know what LE knows, but it is the best we have, unless there are "insiders" posting here. I had the Wikipedia link in here but it is huge and has a picture and is linked above.

If I recall correctly, the Wikipedia page was written by a student around Maura's age. I believe she also went to UMass Amherst. I'm not absolutely sure, but I do know that she was a young woman.

Here you go. This is an official statement from Lt. John Scarinza F Troop Commander of the New Hampshire State Police concerning the findings of Maura's dorm room.

Lt. John Scarinza is the F Troop Commander of the New Hamsphire State Police. He and Detective Sgt. Bob Bruno also of Troop F, participated in the meeting. Lt. John Scarinza released the following synopsis of the Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation conducted by his department:

Maura Murray Missing Person Investigation
St Albans, Vermont
June 8, 2004

"On Monday, February 9th at approx 7:30 pm, Maura Murray, a University of Massachusetts College Student was involved in a single vehicle accident on Rt. 112 in the town of Haverhill, NH. When Haverhill Police arrived at the scene approx 8-10 minutes later they found the vehicle locked with no one around.

To date an extensive investigation has been conducted into the disappearance of Maura Murray. The following information has been learned.

On Saturday Feb 7th Maura spent the evening out with her father and friends at a local brew pub. Later that evening, in the early morning hours of Sunday the 8th of February, Maura was involved in a single vehicle accident in the town of Hadley, Mass. She was driving her fathers new car at the time of the accident, and struck a set of guardrails causing approx 10,000 dollars damage to the vehicle.

By Monday morning, Feb. 9th Maura had packed up all her belongings in her dorm room at U-Mass, putting everything neatly in boxes and putting all the boxes on her bed along with a personal note she had recently received from her boyfriend. She went on the Internet and looked up directions and overnight accommodations in the Bartlett, NH area as well as Burlington, VT area. She withdrew most of her money from her personal bank account. She sent e-mails to her supervisor at work as well as a college professor saying she would be absent from work and school for a week due to a death in the family.

(In my Opinion) Now to me, You don't have everything packed up on your bed for 10 days after coming back from a break. I think she may not have unpacked everything at the start of the semester but she wouldn't have left everything neatly stacked on her bed the whole time.

"IF" this is correct information and I kind of believe it is, then this kind of changes things a little bit as far as why she was leaving and her state of mind. Of course this may or may not have anything to do with her disappearance unless she also purposely ran the car off the road which I doubt. What about this personal note that they mentioned? Was anything ever mentioned as far as content? Also, does anyone know what ever happened to her boyfriend? I mean has he ever gotten married and started dating again? Was Maura a very emotional girl? It seems that she was at least during this time. If she wasn't that type then all the more reason to think something very wrong happened.

What would possess a girl to at the spur of the moment to just pack up everything in boxes then leave without her stuff? If she planned on commiting suicide then she may have decided to make it easier for the people she left behind as far a cleaning up. I know that may sound unlikely, but years ago my parents were renting an apartment to a young man. This guy decides to commint suicide, but first he spent a few days cleaning the house extensively he then wrote a letter to my parents thanking them for everything, dropped it in the mail got in his car and drove down to a dead end stretch of road and shot himself. He said that he didn't want to leave any kind of mess behind. It's funny what people do when they are not thinking straight and decide that life is not worth living.

Most of the time it's best to keep things simple when trying to figure out a situation like this, but this is very hard to do since so much of this doesn't make any sense.

Lots of interesting things mentioned!

I would be careful not to jump to conclusions about "putting all the boxes on her bed along with a personal note she had recently received from her boyfriend" .... it's easy to take something like this and use it to justify a theory....

What if I were to tell you she hadn't unpacked things yet, and decided just before she when on her trip that upon her return she was going to give the dorm a good cleaning, and so as a way to remember and make sure this would be done, she put the boxes up on her bed.

As for the pictures - IIRC the pictures were not taken down, they had not been put back up yet! - She took them home during the break because she didn't what them stolen/damaged....

Once again - all her personal problems got to the place where her crashed car was found. But these problems did take her. The tracking dogs did not track her into the woods. They tracked just so many yards down the road where I believe she was taken... Her father searched the area like crazy for any sign of her in the woods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l