NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the more reason to think it possible she was going there to have an abortion. Think about it, "death in the family". This would equate in her mind as a truth. Also, going to a familiar place to have it done and recover. She had to have a very good reason to go away during exams, plus if I recall she did bring her books with her? Also she told no one in her family that she was going and there most likely there would be no reason for her family to ever find out she went. Something that I want to also clarify from my previous post. I do not think that Maura was drinking heavily while she was driving, but I think that she knew she would test over the legal limit and for her weighing only 115 this was prob one drink and she knew this hence the reason she took off so quick and tried to IMO hide for a while.

I don't know if I believe she went up there to get an abortion. There was no trail of phone calls, emails or internet searches to support that idea. I do think she had a budding drinking problem, which coukd have been clouding her reasoning, but this is only a feeling on my part.

I don't know if I believe she went up there to get an abortion. There was no trail of phone calls, emails or internet searches to support that idea. I do think she had a budding drinking problem, which coukd have been clouding her reasoning, but this is only a feeling on my part.

We'll most likely never know for sure, but to me the death in the family, bringing enough alcohol for a week and bringing her school work meant that she was planning to keep up on her studys while she was there. This trip was not planned and she got some very emotional news whether it be by phone or not. Also, I doubt this boy who got hit by a car had anything to do with her leaving like that. If she was responsible I don't see her leaving for that reason alone. She would never make any phone calls to an abortion clinic since the phone she was using was not hers and her BF's mother most likely went over the bill each month, plus she was known to use calling cards. I also doubt that she would do any type of internet searches on stuff like that on her personal computer, but you never know. She could have easily used the campus computers for stuff like that. Usually these abortion clinics take walk ins. I would be curious to know if there where any places in the vicinity that performed abortions.

Once again I am sorry to just throw out random info. Not trying to break up the current chat about this case because everyone is contributing interesting theories.

But I think the below quiote (Statement) is an important factual account of something that happened with maura that thursday night while on her job when she broke down crying.

This is a direct quote made from the actual supervisor that responded to Maura that evening. She is actually defending herself on a forum back in 2006I think this quote (Statement) from her would help add some context for this current forumn and what was going on that night that has left for many theories to develop.

I find it interesting that the supervisor wanted to take Maura to a campus counselor the night she broke down.

One final comment. the supervisor in it says she left Maura her cell phone, I think it is suppose to say the supervisor left Maura her cell phone number. I know this caused confusion on the original forum this post appeared.

3-1-06 Kmayotte posted: I first wanted to thank Sharon for responding to Pike's comments regarding the supervisor who spoke to Maura the last night of work. I am the supervisor, as well as Maura's good friend, and that night will not leave my mind. Please do not assume that I did not help Maura, because reading the recent post was upsetting. I love Maura, and I did everything in my power to help her. I held her as she was crying, I walked her back to her room, I gave her my cell phone so I could bring her to Dunkin Donuts in the morning. Previous to that I had begged to bring her to a campus counselor, or just out to Dunkins that night when she got out of shift. She told me that she was okay, and that she would be going home to a roommate (which I never realized beforehand that she had a single room). After Maura headed up to her room I did call my boss, telling him of the situation and that I did not like leaving her in such a condition. I was unable to go up to her dorm room because my walkie talkie gear would of not gotten a signal in the tower that she lives in. Pike also wondered why I did not call her parents...I do not have access to her personal information, and I was only friends with her on a work-related atmosphere. The next morning I woke up ready to take Maura to Dunkins, however I could not get in contact with her and I had a five year old son at home with a flu. I hope this post allows people to realize I did the most I could for my friend. I love Maura, and it is relieving to read up on all the posts of caring friends and family.

Just more from the supervisor. this is a statement from her which explains the work set up a little bit for Maura that thursday night as far as phones are concerned.

Kmayotte posted: I forget who was asking this question....but someone was wondering if there was a computer or "courtesy phone" at the security desk. There was no computer at the security desk. There is a security phone that Maura plugged in at the start of her shift. This phone has an unlisted phone number so calls can not come in on the phone, unless from the security office or police station. However you can make outgoing calls...but only local distance (unless you use calling cards but who knows). That means you can call other dorm rooms, or make calls in Amherst. I have no clue who would have records of outgoing calls. Also I have a feeling it would not be feasible to find such a record either, however I am unsure. So as to answer the phone call question...I am unsure of when a call was made/receieved or from whom. Hope this helps, and wish I had more information. __

Just more from the supervisor. this is a statement from her which explains the work set up a little bit for Maura that thursday night as far as phones are concerned.

Kmayotte posted: I forget who was asking this question....but someone was wondering if there was a computer or "courtesy phone" at the security desk. There was no computer at the security desk. There is a security phone that Maura plugged in at the start of her shift. This phone has an unlisted phone number so calls can not come in on the phone, unless from the security office or police station. However you can make outgoing calls...but only local distance (unless you use calling cards but who knows). That means you can call other dorm rooms, or make calls in Amherst. I have no clue who would have records of outgoing calls. Also I have a feeling it would not be feasible to find such a record either, however I am unsure. So as to answer the phone call question...I am unsure of when a call was made/receieved or from whom. Hope this helps, and wish I had more information. __

So we can take it from this statement that the incoming call Maura received from her sister was on her cell phone.

So we can take it from this statement that the incoming call Maura received from her sister was on her cell phone.

Yes definitely Shef.

And, although Maura could make out-going local calls on the security phone, it would not be something one would do because that line is expected to remain open for emergencies.

So if there was a second phone call, it would've likely had to come from her cell phone. And that would've been traceable for sure. Since there has never been any proof of a second phone call, it's resonable to come to the conclusion that a phone call is not what upset Maura that night.

By the way, the call to her sister has been reported as coming from Maura (Around 10 p.m.) to her sister vie Maura's cell phone, not the other way around.

(Just clarifying what was reported).

Once again I am sorry to just throw out random info. Not trying to break up the current chat about this case because everyone is contributing interesting theories.

But I think the below quiote (Statement) is an important factual account of something that happened with maura that thursday night while on her job when she broke down crying.

This is a direct quote made from the actual supervisor that responded to Maura that evening. She is actually defending herself on a forum back in 2006I think this quote (Statement) from her would help add some context for this current forumn and what was going on that night that has left for many theories to develop.

I find it interesting that the supervisor wanted to take Maura to a campus counselor the night she broke down.

One final comment. the supervisor in it says she left Maura her cell phone, I think it is suppose to say the supervisor left Maura her cell phone number. I know this caused confusion on the original forum this post appeared.

3-1-06 Kmayotte posted: I first wanted to thank Sharon for responding to Pike's comments regarding the supervisor who spoke to Maura the last night of work. I am the supervisor, as well as Maura's good friend, and that night will not leave my mind. Please do not assume that I did not help Maura, because reading the recent post was upsetting. I love Maura, and I did everything in my power to help her. I held her as she was crying, I walked her back to her room, I gave her my cell phone so I could bring her to Dunkin Donuts in the morning. Previous to that I had begged to bring her to a campus counselor, or just out to Dunkins that night when she got out of shift. She told me that she was okay, and that she would be going home to a roommate (which I never realized beforehand that she had a single room). After Maura headed up to her room I did call my boss, telling him of the situation and that I did not like leaving her in such a condition. I was unable to go up to her dorm room because my walkie talkie gear would of not gotten a signal in the tower that she lives in. Pike also wondered why I did not call her parents...I do not have access to her personal information, and I was only friends with her on a work-related atmosphere. The next morning I woke up ready to take Maura to Dunkins, however I could not get in contact with her and I had a five year old son at home with a flu. I hope this post allows people to realize I did the most I could for my friend. I love Maura, and it is relieving to read up on all the posts of caring friends and family.

Scoops, no need to apologize as far as I'm concerned. This is good info. Now what makes me even more curious is that her super and good friend does not mention anything about what was bothering her?!?!?! What could make someone break down that bad? A death is one thing for sure. Maybe there really was a death and maybe it was someone that no one else knew of. This case is driving me batty. :banghead:

Telemag,

I don't think the supervisor could ever get Maura to explain to her what was wrong. I think the supervisor wanted to take Maura to a nearby Dunkin Donuts that night to let Maura open up to her. But Maura insisted she would be OK and wanted to go back to her dorm.

The supervisor was leery about leaving Maura all by herself (that speaks to the kind of condition Maura was in) I think Maura noted her concern, so she told the supervisor that she would be alright, her roommate would be home anyway.

(As the supervisor stated, Maura didn't have a roommate) but at the time, the supervisor didn't know that and she watched as Maura entered her dorm and then the supervisor went back to work.

Telemag,

I don't think the supervisor could ever get Maura to explain to her what was wrong. I think the supervisor wanted to take Maura to a nearby Dunkin Donuts that night to let Maura open up to her. But Maura insisted she would be OK and wanted to go back to her dorm.

The supervisor was leery about leaving Maura all by herself (that speaks to the kind of condition Maura was in) I think Maura noted her concern, so she told the supervisor that she would be alright, her roommate would be home anyway.

(As the supervisor stated, Maura didn't have a roommate) but at the time, the supervisor didn't know that and she watched as Maura entered her dorm and then the supervisor went back to work.

OK thanks for the info.

I don't think Maura was pregnant; the drinking involved in both accidents and the trip to the liquor store makes that unlikely; she was a nursing student and would known the ramifications of drinking while pregnant. There is nothing in her history to indicate someone who would deliberately make such a bad choice. I do think she may have had something of a "drinking problem," that is, using drinking to relax or deal with stress and getting into "problems" over that.

I've never thought the situation(s) that made Maura want to get away (for a week? longer?) were the same as what led to her disappearance after the wreck.

Firat, we know she was calling for a place to stay and made no effort to cover her tracks. She was in touch with her boyfriend; she hadn't cut those ties, as far as we know, based on his statements. She was dealing with the first car wreck issues and the insurance. So I don't think she intended to disappear or commit suicide when she left school.

However, the second accident put her in a terrible position--the alcohol spilled in the car, another wrecked car, more mess and trouble. Clearly the wreck, the drinking, and whatever was bothering her in the first place led to some bad decisions--taking off to avoid the police, being out in the dark and the cold in a strange and isolated area. I could see her walking away if she took things that really mattered with her. She might have started out looking for help and then later
decided not to go back, I guess, once she thought about things. Or something very bad happened. What I guess I'm saying is that the accident moved things in some new direction, and what was a "time out" became something else. I don't think knowing what went on before would explain her disappearance, but it might explain why she was willing to avoid the police. I don't get why she wouldn't empty that soda bottle and dispose of it if she were worried about "getting caught."

I guess that is why tthis case is such a mystery--where was she going, after the accident? And why did her tracks stop? I think everything that happened put her on a collision course with someone who met her within minutes of the wreck and that was either fatal or the impetus to walk away fro. her old life.

You make a lot of good points in your post.

my bold

The box of wine was supposedly busted and splattered inside the car, so maybe she felt it was fruitless to try to clean up the scene. Plus, it was dark. If I recall correctly, the soft drink bottle was found outside the car. Perhaps, it was on her lap and when she went to leave the car, it fell out the door. She could have been covered with wine. I think (not absolutely sure) it was red wine too. I wish I knew if the cap was on the soft drink bottle. My guess is that it wasn't capped. I should check the some links on this and get back.

I just had a thought . . maybe, she thought of cleaning the mess with the "tailpipe rag", but changed her mind at the last minute. An approaching car or the thought of police on there way may have spooked her into leaving the scene. My guess is that she was thinking very fast that evening.
This is speculation on my part.

By the way, the call to her sister has been reported as coming from Maura (Around 10 p.m.) to her sister vie Maura's cell phone, not the other way around.

(Just clarifying what was reported).

Interesting! Maybe, Maura was calling to talk about what was on her mind, but her sister got into her own issues before Maura had a chance.

Just a thought and a lot of speculation.

McSpy,

very possible. And since Maura was at work, wouldn't have been much time for her to tell her sister what was on her mind, especially since the older sister wanted to get her own relationship issues off her chest.

I don't think there was anything unusual about why Maura called her sister because the two would talk at least once a day from what I understand to check in with each other.

This was probably just their daily call, but that doesn't mean that Maura didn't have something heavy on her mind.

Someone has to receive the bill with the itemized (calls) list. It is a part of a budgeted item for that department. There should have been a way to see the incoming and outgoing calls. The supervisor was probably not privy to that info. Possibly, her boss knew more. At the very least, the phone company would know.

We'll most likely never know for sure, but to me the death in the family, bringing enough alcohol for a week and bringing her school work meant that she was planning to keep up on her studys while she was there. This trip was not planned and she got some very emotional news whether it be by phone or not. Also, I doubt this boy who got hit by a car had anything to do with her leaving like that. If she was responsible I don't see her leaving for that reason alone. She would never make any phone calls to an abortion clinic since the phone she was using was not hers and her BF's mother most likely went over the bill each month, plus she was known to use calling cards. I also doubt that she would do any type of internet searches on stuff like that on her personal computer, but you never know. She could have easily used the campus computers for stuff like that. Usually these abortion clinics take walk ins. I would be curious to know if there where any places in the vicinity that performed abortions.

my bold

If it was me, I'd rather use my personal computer, because I wouldn't expect anyone to search my computer, since I'm not doing anything illegal. You can also erase your browsing history on your own computer. In a public computer lab, I'd be paranoid someone would be looking over my shoulder.

Maura also didn't have enough money to pay for an abortion. She barely had enough for one or two nights lodging in NH.

JMO

I'm just not feeling the pregnancy thing. Not to say it wasn't a reasonable possibility, and thank you to whoever brought it up, because we do have to look at all angles, and nothing else really fits either. It just doesn't seem likely, and doesn't it seem like something she would have talked to her boyfriend about, rather than telling him that she didn't feel like talking to anybody?

One other thing. And again, I don't feel that this has anything to do with what happened to her, but while we're on the subject... I kind of do believe that there's usually an element of truth in every fib, or at least most of them (unless we're talking Casey Anthony or another pathological liar where eventually stories are completely fabricated), but I don't think the "death in the family" necessarily had to mean an abortion. I have to confess that I told a tall tale of my own to a professor during my freshman year of college. I was a little too sad over a breakup (turns out I'd pretty much never even remember the guy existed now unless someone reminded me, but you know how things are when you're 18....). I needed an excuse to withdraw from a class that I just couldn't handle, so I said that I had too much on my plate because I was in the middle of a divorce. In reality, not only was it just a breakup and not a divorce, but I wasn't "in the middle" of anything; it had already happened, but I was just dealing with my feelings, and in my head I thought it must feel the same as dealing with a divorce.

Anyway, I say all that to say that "a death in the family" sounds like something similar to what I might have said of either a symbolic death (end of a relationship) or a serious injury that left someone in critical condition (Petrit Vasi). Just something to consider. Then again, a death in the family is pretty much the only excuse that can get you out of class other than having a medical emergency of your own, so deaths and funerals are, unfortunately, common excuses that people use to take a break for any reason.

Again, not that any of this matters in terms of what happened to poor Maura.

my bold

If it was me, I'd rather use my personal computer, because I wouldn't expect anyone to search my computer, since I'm not doing anything illegal. You can also erase your browsing history on your own computer. In a public computer lab, I'd be paranoid someone would be looking over my shoulder.

Maura also didn't have enough money to pay for an abortion. She barely had enough for one or two nights lodging in NH.

JMO

Good point!

While it is interesting to discuss all the events that led up to taking off - her taking off simply is what placed her in harm-way. The harm that happened to her is another story - and the more I think about it, the more I thinking alone the lines of a few posts back...

I'm not sure that anyone can assume that Maura had no money on her other than what she got at the ATM. If I remember correctly she had taken out $280 and spent about $40 on alcohol and then she bought gas too. Then her hotel stay which would have been very expensive if she would have found a resservation at the place that she wanted in the first place. She also had to eat and there was gas for the trip back too. Something tells me that she had more on her than the roughly $200 or so after gas and alcohol. I also feel that the events leading up to the car crash did ultimately lead to her disappearance. Her depression over some type of very traumatic event lead to her drinking right up to the time she wrecked and if she hadn't been drinking then she wouldn't have had to run off like she did. From what I understand she was only steps away from a house.

I'm not sure that anyone can assume that Maura had no money on her other than what she got at the ATM. If I remember correctly she had taken out $280 and spent about $40 on alcohol and then she bought gas too. Then her hotel stay which would have been very expensive if she would have found a resservation at the place that she wanted in the first place. She also had to eat and there was gas for the trip back too. Something tells me that she had more on her than the roughly $200 or so after gas and alcohol. I also feel that the events leading up to the car crash did ultimately lead to her disappearance. Her depression over some type of very traumatic event lead to her drinking right up to the time she wrecked and if she hadn't been drinking then she wouldn't have had to run off like she did. From what I understand she was only steps away from a house.

Not only that, but why not wait for the cops? If she truly intended to contact a friend or family member, why not wait for the authorities to come? Then she could have received a ride back to her place. After all, sliding off the road into a snowy bank probably happens quite a bit. It was just an accident. But no, she left because she had been drinking and she was fleeing from family and friends. Don't know why....and that's the rub.

telemag, you are making some big unwarranted assumptions. We do not know that some very traumatic event lead to ANY drinking. Maura's friends were also drinking the night of the first car accident; they were college students. She may also have had some level of drinking problem, related to nothing other than a more long-standing pattern. She may have bought what seems to me to be a lot of alcohol because she expected to be up there a week and didn't want to buy it up there or because she could get a better price.

There would be absolutely no need to go out of state for an abortion; why leave an urban area full of young people to go to a resort and do that? Most girls would tell a friend, at least, or a sister. And there would be NO need to take time away from school.

I've taught college kids for 25 years. They go into tailspins over all sorts of things--family problems, boyfriend/girlfriend problems, being in the wrong major, getting into credit card issues, money problems, etc. Things that adults handle pretty well can derail some college kids. Many are very affected by parental discord and/or divorce, the desire to break off a relationship without knowing how, grade problems, and sometimes just the existential stress of moving into adulthood without the full resources (including adult judgment and economic resources) that supports older people through the ups and downs of life.

I'll say it again: whatever was going on, it may well have had NOTHING to do with Maura's disappearance, other than serving as a reason for her to be where she was and adding stress that might have led to making poor decisions as a driver and afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l