NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to backtrack somewhat my last statement about butch atwood being a former cop because i can't find that info anywhere now. I still think he was at some point, but the fact he knew the officer (Cecil Smith) that responded to Maura's accident, was probably more to the fact that they lived in a relatively rural area where everyone probably knew everyone else.

If i recall and i will try and find some concrete proof sometime, but i think butch atwood was a cop maybe in his earlier days back in taunton.

IIRC - SBD mentioned he was in once in LE, but that turned out no so... just like IIRC SBD said at first he was not sure it was MM he saw behind the wheel because her hair was down, and not up as in her pictures.... sometime later he said he was sure it was her.... does any of this matter, though...
IIRC SBD passed away in Florida... don't know what happened to his gf... wonder if she ever spoke to LE after he passed on...

I'd like to know what his source is--I've read most everything in the mainstream media, including interviews with Billy's mother, and never saw this point made.

It certainly makes sense, but why wouldn't Billy KNOW within a few minutes after eventually talking to the Red Cross that the prepaid "crying" call came from the same source? And knowing the RC is trying to help him? I hope the rest of the blog isn't more unsourced stuff.

I hope the rest of the blog isn't more unsourced stuff.

He wrote: "A source close to the investigation now confirms the person who made the phone call has been located and interviewed."

Anonymous sources certainly inspire less trust on the part of the reader than do named sources (and for good reason), but the use of anonymous sources probably is unavoidable in this kind of reporting. The traditional requirement (when I was an investigative reporter years ago) was that, if you can't name names, you get at least two unrelated sources before reporting an item. But the nature of what he reported -- not just that the caller was not Maura, but that the caller has been identified and interviewed -- is easily rebutted by LE or others in the know. They can just say, "No, that never happened," and the reporter's credibility is suddenly in serious question. So using an unidentified source who is unreliable would not be a career-enhancing move on the part of a serious journalist.

I'm believing in this guy... for now...

I'd like to know what his source is--I've read most everything in the mainstream media, including interviews with Billy's mother, and never saw this point made.

It certainly makes sense, but why wouldn't Billy KNOW within a few minutes after eventually talking to the Red Cross that the prepaid "crying" call came from the same source? And knowing the RC is trying to help him? I hope the rest of the blog isn't more unsourced stuff.

I agree! The mystery of that phone call has been for so long, got to believe if it was simply the Red Cross calling it would have long been cleared up by now.

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011/07/theories.html

"The key to finding Maura lies in her destination. [snip] I believe there's clues suggesting she had already made it to where she was going."

I have to admit, James is kind of losing me on this one. I don't understand how Maura's final destination could've been the snow bank and tree line across the street from the Westman's house.

Not really an ideal final destination, but I guess we will have to wait and see what else James believes he has.

I have to admit, James is kind of losing me on this one. I don't understand how Maura's final destination could've been the snow bank and tree line across the street from the Westman's house.

Not really an ideal final destination, but I guess we will have to wait and see what else James believes he has.

I think he means that she had already visited some place or some one she had set out to visit and that the snowbank mishap came after leaving. (In my judgment, that's the best way to explain the missing booze. May or may not be true....)

I think he means that she had already visited some place or some one she had set out to visit and that the snowbank mishap came after leaving. (In my judgment, that's the best way to explain the missing booze. May or may not be true....)

I wonder if she met someone when she vacationed there with her family and she just showed up on his doorstep that evening after the accident? Although, I just can't see her not contacting her family after all this time, if she is still alive.

"Fred Murray refused to sit down for an interview with detectives working his daughter's case for a full two and a half years after she vanished in New Hampshire"

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011/07/exclusive-fred-murray-did-not-speak-for.html

If I appeared annoyed, it's not directed at you gnomony...

"Interview"? interrogation more likely, and I don't blame Fred one bit!!! If I were him, I'd be most suspicious that blame was going to be thrown back at me after what had taken place his previous dealing with LE!
Also, IIRC he had spoken to LE when he went up to Haverhill, and on other occasions...

Might be a good time to look at WS Rules Etiquette part about:

"Victim Friendly"
Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

"Interview"? interrogation more likely, and I don't blame Fred one bit!!! If I were him, I'd be most suspicious that blame was going to be thrown back at me after what had taken place his previous dealing with LE!
Also, IIRC he had spoken to LE when he went up to Haverhill, and on other occasions...

"Victim Friendly"

Sounds eerily like the Ramseys and their obtaining lawyers for each of them.
Puts a shadowy cast on otherwise innocent people to do so I think, other then be very open like Mark Klass always recommends we do when tragedy hits our families.

I can see where Fred would be coming from.

Fred believes that his daughter was met by foul play that fateful Monday night and he has been trying like heck to get the police on his page about that and to really put their attention to solving the case from that angle.

Meanwhile law enforcement has been somewhat consistent about believing that Maura was either suicidal or wanting to run away from something ... So Fred likely feels that if he helps the police out it would only be to further their theory about suicide or runaway and Fred probably feels like that is a complete waste of time to be focusing on those two theories.

[snip] So Fred likely feels that if he helps the police out it would only be to further their theory about suicide or runaway and Fred probably feels like that is a complete waste of time to be focusing on those two theories.

Trouble with investigations is that often you can judge what is a waste of time only in hindsight.

Trouble with investigations is that often you can judge what is a waste of time only in hindsight.

You may have that right. LE has a new team, who believe her case may be a homicide. Supposedly, there is some possible evidence. He should consider sitting down with them. It can't hurt. This case has been at a standstill for a long time.

"Victim Friendly"

Old Steve, There are new investigators involved in finding Maura now. There is also a new Cold Case Unit in NH. Fred should reconsider. I can understand his feelings, but why not give it another try? We need to find Maura. This is the most important thing.

hmmmm, I read the blog again and wonder why Mr. Renner is making a big deal about Fred not talking to LE for 2.5 years. What about the 3rd year? or 4th? I hope Renner is not trying to sensationalize this for attention. Fred did bring LE to court back then, so that may explain a lot.

If Fred hasn't been working with LE, I do think he should consider talking to them. I read that they have a new team, so he may get better cooperation.

Cadaver dogs find a possible human skull in a horse cemetery;
it seems Fred Murray does not want a book written about Maura's disappearance:

http://www.wmur.com/r/28490597/detail.html

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

Very Interesting.

As long as James is accurate, especially about the selective portion of an e-mail that Maura specifically laid out on her bed next to her packed boxes, I think we may now have a motive for why she took off. Very odd that Maura would leave a select portion of an e-mail (regardless of it was new or old) talking about her boyfriend cheating on her) on top of packed boxes.

here is another article concerning the partial human skull found recently in Littleton which isn't too far from where Maura went missing.

Home » Opinion
Police searching in Littleton horse cemetery after skull found
By LORNA COLQUHOUN
Union Leader Correspondent
Published Jul 8, 2011 at 5:20 pm (Updated Jul 8, 2011) ShareThis

LITTLETON - The little patch of land under Interstate 93 has been the final resting place of three horses since 1919, visited occasionally by people who leave pennies and wildflowers on their graves.

On Friday afternoon, investigators from the state's Major Crime Unit were investigating the discovery of what appears to be a human skull.

They could be seen digging inside the small, fenced-in plot at the Wallace Horse Cemetery and at least one family planning to visit was turned away from the gate by police.

"A small quantity of bones have been found there," said senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin. "They will be removed and examined to determine whether they are human or animal."

Later Friday afternoon, he said it appears to be a "partial human skull."

Strelzin said the bones were discovered Thursday night and investigators responded Friday. Outside the fence, a tent was pitched and a stepladder could be seen set up among the graves.

A cadaver dog was dispatched to further check the area for other remains, but none were found, he said.

Since it is a cemetery, he said, "it's not uncommon for this type of thing to happen," and typically, the remains are found to not be human. If they are determined to be human, they are usually "historic," he said.

"When they are, it is checked out every time and that's what we are doing here," he said. "We really don't know a lot right now."

The remains recovered will now be sent to the state medical examiner's office for further examination by a forensic anthropologist, Strelzin said.

The horses buried at the cemetery are Maude, Mollie and Maggie. According to Littleton history, Maude and Mollie were a matched pair of bay Morgan horses who were a familiar site around town when owners Eli and Myra Wallace hitched them up for buggy rides, beginning in the 1890s.

The couple, who ran a stationary shop, never had children, and town history terms the horses as "the only family they ever had."

Years later, in 1919, when Myra Wallace was 57 and the horses were around 30, she was diagnosed with cancer and one day, the couple made the decision to put down the horses. They were laid to rest in the pasture where they had spent their lives, with granite stones marking their graves.

After Myra Wallace died, the local butcher, whose horse, Maggie, pulled the wagon for the Central Market, gave her to Eli Wallace, which made the loss of his wife and the mares easier to bare. He cared for Maggie until his death in 1929, and she died shortly after and buried in the horse cemetery.

As Interstate 93 was being laid out through Littleton in the 1970s, its course was altered slightly so as not to disturb the horse cemetery, according to the town history.

Very Interesting.

As long as James is accurate, especially about the selective portion of an e-mail that Maura specifically laid out on her bed next to her packed boxes, I think we may now have a motive for why she took off. Very odd that Maura would leave a select portion of an e-mail (regardless of it was new or old) talking about her boyfriend cheating on her) on top of packed boxes.

IIRC - the note may have been left out in the open by LE after going through her room.... remember LE was working under the impression that MM was suicidal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay