NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I edit the information out? Since it was just a rumor and not in MSM?

Since we cleared it up, because of our discussions, I don't think it is necessary. Hopefully, others read the thread--not just individual posts here and there. Good thinking though!

Respectfully snipped

I had read early on her sister said they discussed her frustration with her fiance(Maura's sister's fiance). Which led me to consider the same idea you stated above.

I also believe the email was found on top in a box that was sitting on her bed.
Not sure where i read or saw this.

It's not clear if Billy had actually cheated on her, or that Maura had suspected he had. In any case, the email was a couple of years old.

What I'm about to say is pure speculation.
I think it is possible Maura's phone conversation with her sister brought out some raw emotions about her own relationship, even though she didn't voice it to her sister, which maybe why no one knows why she acted the way she did that evening. She simply kept it to herself. In the past, I've been blind sided by friends or family over something I had said in what I thought was a casual conversation. The person just didn't say anything at the time, but brings it up days or even years later! You never know what is going on inside someone's head!

What I'm about to say is pure speculation.
I think it is possible Maura's phone conversation with her sister brought out some raw emotions about her own relationship, even though she didn't voice it to her sister, which maybe why no one knows why she acted the way she did that evening. She simply kept it to herself. In the past, I've been blind sided by friends or family over something I had said in what I thought was a casual conversation. The person just didn't say anything at the time, but brings it up days or even years later! You never know what is going on inside someone's head!

That's a good point. There does not have to be recent information or activity to explain her emotional reaction that night.

Thinking about this last night, I realized that regardless of her state of mind, the evidence does not indicate she intended to leave her life permanently. Getting in touch with her teachers and taking her school books suggests she cared about her future status in school. It is possible that she changed her mind after her fender bender, but I'm more inclined to think that regardless of her reasoning for being there that day, that she did not return is probably the result of foul play.

While searching, though, I came across a campground in that area called a better life, and thought--if I were planning to run away, and wanted to make a detour in that area, that's the place I would choose.

Her making excuses and seeming like she'd eventually return doesn't mean she had the intent to. Perhaps she didn't want to alarm anyone? Maybe she wanted to buy some time till she made the final decision about what she wanted to do?

This case fascinated me after seeing on tv the other night. I have a hard time believing she was abducted in a 2 minute window, so I think she simply ran away or perhaps met her end by accident. I don't think the bus driver was involved. But who really knows. I think this will be an unfortunate case where she's never found because she could literally be anywhere in those snowy mountains.

Sent from my iPad

Her making excuses and seeming like she'd eventually return doesn't mean she had the intent to. Perhaps she didn't want to alarm anyone? Maybe she wanted to buy some time till she made the final decision about what she wanted to do?

This case fascinated me after seeing on tv the other night. I have a hard time believing she was abducted in a 2 minute window, so I think she simply ran away or perhaps met her end by accident. I don't think the bus driver was involved. But who really knows. I think this will be an unfortunate case where she's never found because she could literally be anywhere in those snowy mountains.

Sent from my iPad

True as to your first paragraph.

Regarding the abduction in the 2-minute window...I was thinking that the other day, that it would have been a crazy coincidence if someone with psychotic tendencies just happen to come across her. I had the theory that a police impersonator with a scanner would be the only logical explanation I could come up with--hear the accident report, show up and easily convince a young woman to get into the car with him. For the most part, though, I agree with you. It seems too narrow a window for an abductor to happen across the scene and abduct her. ETA: I realize my opinions on this seem contradictory: on one hand I don't think she planned to commit suicide or leave permanently, on the other hand, it seems like a strange coincidence that someone just happened to come along and abduct her in that moment. I think either the fender bender changed her plans, or she met with violence at some later point (at her final destination?).

Sent from my iPad

The 2-minute window was actually longer when you consider she stopped for gas not far from where here car was found... anyone might have seen her at the gas station, might have seen alcohol in her car or that she had been drinking and thought she was easy prey... also, there was mention of snow plows on the roads as another source of her being seen, and finally mention that many listen to scanners in that area monitoring police activity - opening up another way a perp might become aware of a vulnerable woman in an accident..

True as to your first paragraph.

Regarding the abduction in the 2-minute window...I was thinking that the other day, that it would have been a crazy coincidence if someone with psychotic tendencies just happen to come across her. I had the theory that a police impersonator with a scanner would be the only logical explanation I could come up with--hear the accident report, show up and easily convince a young woman to get into the car with him. For the most part, though, I agree with you. It seems too narrow a window for an abductor to happen across the scene and abduct her. ETA: I realize my opinions on this seem contradictory: on one hand I don't think she planned to commit suicide or leave permanently, on the other hand, it seems like a strange coincidence that someone just happened to come along and abduct her in that moment. I think either the fender bender changed her plans, or she met with violence at some later point (at her final destination?).

I agree, but there is that off chance someone saw a lone woman and a disabled car and thought that they'd act on it. If they did abduct her, it was with charm and of being seemingly helpful and friendly. She took that ride and the rest is history. It could have been an opportunist, who took her. Young women are targets, so it wouldn't surprise me she was abducted. Yet, I also think she could have succumbed to the elements or got hit by a car.

I agree, but there is that off chance someone saw a lone woman and a disabled car and thought that they'd act on it. If they did abduct her, it was with charm and of being seemingly helpful and friendly. She took that ride and the rest is history. It could have been an opportunist, who took her. Young women are targets, so it wouldn't surprise me she was abducted. Yet, I also think she could have succumbed to the elements or got hit by a car.

Didn't she refuse to leave the scene when the bus driver found her? If so, why would she then immediately catch a ride with a complete stranger? I think she likely didn't want to be found and ran off after she crashed. She either died due to the elements or met violence sometime after. Or she's still alive living under a new identity.

Sent from my iPad

Didn't she refuse to leave the scene when the bus driver found her? If so, why would she then immediately catch a ride with a complete stranger? I think she likely didn't want to be found and ran off after she crashed. She either died due to the elements or met violence sometime after. Or she's still alive living under a new identity.

Sent from my iPad

The bus driver was a scary looking old man. He would have scared anybody on a cold dark night. Perhaps, a young clean cut guy stopped as she ran away from the accident scene and asked her if she needed help. He could have seemed sincere and harmless at the time, so she took a chance and got in the vehicle.

A contractor had told police that he thought he saw Maura running 4 or 5 miles east of the accident, which means she may have accepted a ride way up the road from her accident, if the runner was actually Maura. I do think she may have succumbed to the elements or had been hit by a car, because the area was very dark with no street lights. She could have become disoriented very easily as well, if she had continued running.

Someone posted a link (news article from 2009) in recent months here, which suggests LE now thinks she was a victim of a homicide. Supposedly, there are new investigators on the case and there was some possible evidence found in the woods, which may have to do with this case. I'll see if I can track down that article.

So the author is saying he does believe she got into a car and that she perhaps reached a hotel afterall?

Not a case of suicide but a case of murder by whomever drove her there?

So the author is saying he does believe she got into a car and that she perhaps reached a hotel afterall?

Not a case of suicide but a case of murder by whomever drove her there?

The article was interesting, but so much is simply speculation - not that there's anything wrong doing that...

I'd like to know if the Motel mentioned is on the route MM took, such that she would passed by just before her crash?
I could see her (now I'm speculating) jogging back to it after her crash...

Interesting to read how to pronounce Haverhill.... I alway figured it was Have er hill so learned something new...

The article was interesting, but so much is simply speculation - not that there's anything wrong doing that...

I'd like to know if the Motel mentioned is on the route MM took, such that she would passed by just before her crash?
I could see her (now I'm speculating) jogging back to it after her crash...

Interesting to read how to pronounce Haverhill.... I alway figured it was Have er hill so learned something new...

The motel in question I believe is the closest motel to where Maura wrecked at and would be locatd pretty close to where one would think Maura exited 91 off of. It is also the same motel her father stayed at and set up a semi-command center in the early days right after she went missing.

Interesting theory by the blogger fella, but it is just a theory.

The motel in question I believe is the closest motel to where Maura wrecked at and would be locatd pretty close to where one would think Maura exited 91 off of. It is also the same motel her father stayed at and set up a semi-command center in the early days right after she went missing.

Interesting theory by the blogger fella, but it is just a theory.

I would think the motel would have had record of Maura checking in, also while her bottled alcohol and bookbag were missing from her car when police searched it, many of her valuables (not neccessarily monetary value) were still left in her car.

I would think the motel would have had record of Maura checking in, also while her bottled alcohol and bookbag were missing from her car when police searched it, many of her valuables (not neccessarily monetary value) were still left in her car.

In reading all about the Lauren Spierer case, I've learned that many college gals use fake ID for a variety of reasons... so wonder if MM might have checked into that Motel under a different name?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you believe she passed the Motel before she crashed? In other words she would most likely have known it was there...

The jewelry her bf had given her was locked up in the car's trunk.... if it was hidden there, I think it plausible that she would have left it in the car, rather than bring it to the Motel...

I think it's even possible she has been found, but requested LE not to reveal her location to anyone. If she truly ran away from her family, she could have every right in the world to stay missing. Perhaps she never met foul play at all. She just didn't want to be found.

That theory always seemed to make sense to me. If the bus driver went to call for help, it would make no sense for her to just run off by herself, nor would it make sense for her to take a ride from a complete stranger unless she didn't want to be found.

That said, does anyone know what evidence the police found that suggest she was murdered? Or is that just a rumor?

Sent from my iPad

I think it's even possible she has been found, but requested LE not to reveal her location to anyone. If she truly ran away from her family, she could have every right in the world to stay missing. Perhaps she never met foul play at all. She just didn't want to be found.

That theory always seemed to make sense to me. If the bus driver went to call for help, it would make no sense for her to just run off by herself, nor would it make sense for her to take a ride from a complete stranger unless she didn't want to be found.

That said, does anyone know what evidence the police found that suggest she was murdered? Or is that just a rumor?

Sent from my iPad

Is this case open? Is LE currently spending money investigating Maura's disappearance?

Is this case open? Is LE currently spending money investigating Maura's disappearance?

I read on here that there was a new team on the case, and they were treating it as a homicide. I'm not sure if that's accurate as I haven't seen anything about that in the news.

Sent from my iPad

Her father has one or too P,I's on this or so i thought i read or heard somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NNT1