NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading a LOT about this case and the two most possible scenarios that stick out in my mind are A) Maura purposely disappeared or B) Maura was trying to run away, but succumbed to the elements.

I know a lot of people believe that she met with foul play, but the MM disappearance is a baffling case of "too many coincidences" as it is. I believe most of the evidence points towards Maura intentionally running away from her life. It makes a lot of sense to me that Overbearing/Possibly abusive Father + Overbearing/Cheating Boyfriend + Possible legal issues (car accidents, CC fraud/hit and run speculation) would most likely = Maura wanting to flee her life. This girl also had a drinking problem during the time she went missing. What drove her to drink like that? Drinking which seemingly went far beyond the normal college partying.

The thought that so many things in Maura's life seemed to be crashing down around her at the time of her disappearance, and ON TOP OF ALL THAT, she happened to have met with foul play and fell into the hands of a predator during her pre-planned "getaway" would take this story to an almost sci-fi level of craziness IMO. I don't discount the possibility of foul play having been involved in her disappearance, but unlike many disappearances, I just don't think it took place in the MM case. I also don't at all believe she intended to commit suicide.

While I'm not trying to imply anything, I do think Fred Murray has exhibited odd behavior from the start. I think he's a man desperate to find his daughter, but I also believe he's misrepresented Maura as the "All American apple pie girl" for whatever reason, possibly so the case isn't dismissed outright as that of an adult who has willfully gone missing.

All of this is just my opinion, of course, and put together in a hasty post. Maybe sometime I will write a more thought-out post about my theory of what may have happened that night. In any case, I just wanted to put this out there because it's been on my mind.

:seeya: Welcome Pisces Sun!

I agree...too many coincidences. I personally think Maura either died from the cold or she ran away. Unfortunately, I lean more towards that she is dead. I really hate to say that, but IMO that's where the evidence leads. She locked the car doors and she didn't take her book with the photo of her brother in it. I think she planned on coming back to the car. I think that because she was such a good runner, she got farther away than anyone realized at the time and is in the woods somewhere not far from the road. Maybe someday a hunter will stumble upon her or I'm afraid she may never be found.

I read through most of the documents on Renner's site, and I didn't really see anything we didn't already know.

:seeya: Welcome Pisces Sun!

I agree...too many coincidences. I personally think Maura either died from the cold or she ran away. Unfortunately, I lean more towards that she is dead. I really hate to say that, but IMO that's where the evidence leads. She locked the car doors and she didn't take her book with the photo of her brother in it. I think she planned on coming back to the car. I think that because she was such a good runner, she got farther away than anyone realized at the time and is in the woods somewhere not far from the road. Maybe someday a hunter will stumble upon her or I'm afraid she may never be found.

I read through most of the documents on Renner's site, and I didn't really see anything we didn't already know.

I haven't got a chance to review all of the documents, but did come across where it notes that they have an atm transaction video of maura. That was always a very minor point of debate. Do the police have an atm video or a liquor store video of maura?

And it turns out that they have an atm video and a liquor store receipt.

Nothing earth shattering, but at least that is clarified now.

I am definitely going to go back and re-read through all those documents.
I think we see them a little bit differently too.

I translate many of the documents as the state of new hampshire dangling out there a "possible murder investigation" as a means to keep fred murray off their backs.

Everything Fred is requesting is conveniently met with, no we can't release that to you, it might mess up our investigation. Yet over eight years later, there has been no viable suspect announced or any details that lead towards a possible foul play scenario.

I did read somewhere that RF the contractor's mobile home was searched once he had it moved from the Haverhill property. My guess is that it was in transit, so it was on a public road. This made me think they had doubts about his story. I don't recall where I read it though. JMO

I've been reading a LOT about this case and the two most possible scenarios that stick out in my mind are A) Maura purposely disappeared or B) Maura was trying to run away, but succumbed to the elements.

I know a lot of people believe that she met with foul play, but the MM disappearance is a baffling case of "too many coincidences" as it is. I believe most of the evidence points towards Maura intentionally running away from her life. It makes a lot of sense to me that Overbearing/Possibly abusive Father + Overbearing/Cheating Boyfriend + Possible legal issues (car accidents, CC fraud/hit and run speculation) would most likely = Maura wanting to flee her life. This girl also had a drinking problem during the time she went missing. What drove her to drink like that? Drinking which seemingly went far beyond the normal college partying.

The thought that so many things in Maura's life seemed to be crashing down around her at the time of her disappearance, and ON TOP OF ALL THAT, she happened to have met with foul play and fell into the hands of a predator during her pre-planned "getaway" would take this story to an almost sci-fi level of craziness IMO. I don't discount the possibility of foul play having been involved in her disappearance, but unlike many disappearances, I just don't think it took place in the MM case. I also don't at all believe she intended to commit suicide.

While I'm not trying to imply anything, I do think Fred Murray has exhibited odd behavior from the start. I think he's a man desperate to find his daughter, but I also believe he's misrepresented Maura as the "All American apple pie girl" for whatever reason, possibly so the case isn't dismissed outright as that of an adult who has willfully gone missing.

All of this is just my opinion, of course, and put together in a hasty post. Maybe sometime I will write a more thought-out post about my theory of what may have happened that night. In any case, I just wanted to put this out there because it's been on my mind.

Anything is possible, but I think the situation Maura got herself in and her emotional state made her vulnerable to predators. I can see her accepting a ride out of desperation, but having misgivings about accepting the ride at the same time. In my opinion, a young female in an isolated area can be an easy target.

I am definitely going to go back and re-read through all those documents.
I think we see them a little bit differently too.

I translate many of the documents as the state of new hampshire dangling out there a "possible murder investigation" as a means to keep fred murray off their backs.

Everything Fred is requesting is conveniently met with, no we can't release that to you, it might mess up our investigation. Yet over eight years later, there has been no viable suspect announced or any details that lead towards a possible foul play scenario.

Maybe the suicide theory was weakened, since her body hasn't shown up or perhaps, they want to play on the side of the possibility they could be wrong. Nothing is conclusive yet. JMO

Maybe the suicide theory was weakened, since her body hasn't shown up or perhaps, they want to play on the side of the possibility they could be wrong. Nothing is conclusive yet. JMO

Nothing is conclusive that is for sure.

But going back to the court case in which fred attempted to get several things released to him and they wouldn't do so ... The courts weren't very impressed with the investigators and made it pretty clear to them that they better have some sort of case developing to justify not releasing anything after so many years.

playing up a possible suspect theory would be a great way to keep everyone off your back as you hide behind your investigation not wanting further scrutiny to come from someone like Fred who has been pretty blunt about his feelings for the way the investigators have treated his daughter's disappearance.

8 years is a long time, someone needs to step up. I know releasing info can jeopardize a case, but with what little the public has to go on has been chewed over, digested, chewed over again... It's like that game telephone, it's so clouded after eight years of passing the info around its almost pointless to speculate.

- This is AWOLNATION

Anything is possible, but I think the situation Maura got herself in and her emotional state made her vulnerable to predators. I can see her accepting a ride out of desperation, but having misgivings about accepting the ride at the same time. In my opinion, a young female in an isolated area can be an easy target.

I agree she would've been very vulnerable emotionally, mentally, and physically during the time after the crash in Haverhill if she was traveling alone and we discount the chance that someone she knew may have been following/assisting her. I do definitely think that foul play is a possibility, I just don't see it as being the #1 possibility. Like I said, I know this can happen, but there are just too many weird things that happened to and around Maura in the days leading up to the disappearance - an abduction and murder on top if it, while it could've happened, would take the story over the top. IMO all the evidence leads to Maura initially wanting to leave voluntarily. If she staged the crash to possibly rid it of evidence from the Vasi hit and run (theoretically) or staged it to leave a dead end on the search, it's probable that she had an accomplice and did NOT meet with any type of foul play. If she crashed by accident, the odds of foul play increase exponentially, but not to the point where I believe it's the only possibility of what happened to Maura.

If she wanted to escape her life, theoretically - because no one is really sure - I believe it's more likely that if she took a ride with someone they were NOT violent opportunists. It's very possible that she was able to get a ride with someone who was passing by the area, never thought twice about picking up a hitchhiker or giving a ride to a distressed woman with car problems, and never reported the incident because they never heard of the MM disappearance. I think if she met with foul play, a local who had been scoping out the scene was much more likely to be involved than a random passerby on the road.

I agree she would've been very vulnerable emotionally, mentally, and physically during the time after the crash in Haverhill if she was traveling alone and we discount the chance that someone she knew may have been following/assisting her. I do definitely think that foul play is a possibility, I just don't see it as being the #1 possibility. Like I said, I know this can happen, but there are just too many weird things that happened to and around Maura in the days leading up to the disappearance - an abduction and murder on top if it, while it could've happened, would take the story over the top. IMO all the evidence leads to Maura initially wanting to leave voluntarily. If she staged the crash to possibly rid it of evidence from the Vasi hit and run (theoretically) or staged it to leave a dead end on the search, it's probable that she had an accomplice and did NOT meet with any type of foul play. If she crashed by accident, the odds of foul play increase exponentially, but not to the point where I believe it's the only possibility of what happened to Maura.

If she wanted to escape her life, theoretically - because no one is really sure - I believe it's more likely that if she took a ride with someone they were NOT violent opportunists. It's very possible that she was able to get a ride with someone who was passing by the area, never thought twice about picking up a hitchhiker or giving a ride to a distressed woman with car problems, and never reported the incident because they never heard of the MM disappearance. I think if she met with foul play, a local who had been scoping out the scene was much more likely to be involved than a random passerby on the road.

I agree with much of what you say in the second paragraph.

Many people are focused on the point that Maura may have wanted to get away and start a new life, but it just as plausbile that maura did reach her final destination and took her own life and the mystery about who picked her up from the accident site (if anyone did) could really end up being not that important of a detail as far as having anything to do with the final outcome of maura.

Just keep in mind that maura was very comfortable around mountains and it just so happened that she was headed for some at the time of her second wreck (Mt. Washington as an example which she was familiar with and had recently been to).

I just can't look past that fact. Couple with the fact that her father has told his children that if he ever got to the point where he felt worthless, he would go off to a mountain and drink himself to death.

I agree with much of what you say in the second paragraph.

Many people are focused on the point that Maura may have wanted to get away and start a new life, but it just as plausbile that maura did reach her final destination and took her own life and the mystery about who picked her up from the accident site (if anyone did) could really end up being not that important of a detail as far as having anything to do with the final outcome of maura.

Just keep in mind that maura was very comfortable around mountains and it just so happened that she was headed for some at the time of her second wreck (Mt. Washington as an example which she was familiar with and had recently been to).

I just can't look past that fact. Couple with the fact that her father has told his children that if he ever got to the point where he felt worthless, he would go off to a mountain and drink himself to death.

Wow, I had never heard that before. I do remember reading something about Fred saying "My god, she's gone off into the mountains to die like an old squaw" or something to that effect when the disappearance first happened, which would indicate that he thought there was a possibility of suicide.

I just don't see Maura going off into the woods in the pitch darkness near the crash site in NH to commit suicide. I get that if she killed herself she obviously wanted to die, but it just doesn't make sense that she'd purposely ensure that her last few moments were terrifying and in the darkness, without even a chance for her to enjoy the view from the top of a mountain, which she is said to have loved so much. It seems that if suicide was her intention, she would want to enjoy a final hike, find a nice spot, and then drink herself to death in a place she felt "at home". So it does stand to reason that if Maura got a ride that night, even if her intention was to go somewhere to die, that info WOULD be very pertinent to finding Maura because if we knew where Maura was dropped off, we'd know where to look for a body.

I'm still not sold on any one theory...the main scenarios (suicide, foul play, secret new life, accidental death from exposure) all seem pretty reasonable to me.

Wow, I had never heard that before. I do remember reading something about Fred saying "My god, she's gone off into the mountains to die like an old squaw" or something to that effect when the disappearance first happened, which would indicate that he thought there was a possibility of suicide.

I just don't see Maura going off into the woods in the pitch darkness near the crash site in NH to commit suicide. I get that if she killed herself she obviously wanted to die, but it just doesn't make sense that she'd purposely ensure that her last few moments were terrifying and in the darkness, without even a chance for her to enjoy the view from the top of a mountain, which she is said to have loved so much. It seems that if suicide was her intention, she would want to enjoy a final hike, find a nice spot, and then drink herself to death in a place she felt "at home". So it does stand to reason that if Maura got a ride that night, even if her intention was to go somewhere to die, that info WOULD be very pertinent to finding Maura because if we knew where Maura was dropped off, we'd know where to look for a body.

I'm still not sold on any one theory...the main scenarios (suicide, foul play, secret new life, accidental death from exposure) all seem pretty reasonable to me.

Later I will pull the quotes from the article in which is relayed that fred had said that to his children. (it was actually maura's boyfriend's mom who relayed that info in the news article). It is important because this is (regardless of what fred says) the very first thing they believed happened to maura (that she took her own life) they then back-tracked from that after they discovered that police don't have the same sense of urgency for an adult choosing to disappear as opposed to a boogey man on the loose out kidnapping and killing people.

As far as the evidence that is known.

Maura had packed a bag (more like an overnight bag) and headed towards the mountains.

the fact that she didn't make it all the way (her second car wreck) doesn't mean that for one, her second wreck was necessarily planned or for two that she still didn't get to follow suit with her plan. the second wreck was likely a bump in the road as far as her plans go. She could've still reached her final destination with the help of a good samaratin giving her a ride or by her hiking the rest of the way.

a lot of people point to the fact that maura bothered to lock her car and get her insurance forms (from wrecking her father's car) as proof that she wasn't suicidal. However, that proves nothing to me anyway. If she was ending her life, her family still was going to be around and her father still needed those forms and I think she just took the time to tie up loose ends before she took her own life.

Now the vasi hit and run angle is the one thing that if true, would throw all other scenarios known (suicide, succumbed to elements, kidnapped and killed) out the window.

If the vasi hit and run was related to maura, then that would mean that the public has been lied to and friends and family of maura have purposefully been misleading and leaving out big gaps of the story concerning maura and her movements/decisions.

Later I will pull the quotes from the article in which is relayed that fred had said that to his children. (it was actually maura's boyfriend's mom who relayed that info in the news article). It is important because this is (regardless of what fred says) the very first thing they believed happened to maura (that she took her own life) they then back-tracked from that after they discovered that police don't have the same sense of urgency for an adult choosing to disappear as opposed to a boogey man on the loose out kidnapping and killing people.

As far as the evidence that is known.

Maura had packed a bag (more like an overnight bag) and headed towards the mountains.

the fact that she didn't make it all the way (her second car wreck) doesn't mean that for one, her second wreck was necessarily planned or for two that she still didn't get to follow suit with her plan. the second wreck was likely a bump in the road as far as her plans go. She could've still reached her final destination with the help of a good samaratin giving her a ride or by her hiking the rest of the way.

a lot of people point to the fact that maura bothered to lock her car and get her insurance forms (from wrecking her father's car) as proof that she wasn't suicidal. However, that proves nothing to me anyway. If she was ending her life, her family still was going to be around and her father still needed those forms and I think she just took the time to tie up loose ends before she took her own life.

Now the vasi hit and run angle is the one thing that if true, would throw all other scenarios known (suicide, succumbed to elements, kidnapped and killed) out the window.

If the vasi hit and run was related to maura, then that would mean that the public has been lied to and friends and family of maura have purposefully been misleading and leaving out big gaps of the story concerning maura and her movements/decisions.

I pretty much agree with this whole post.

Their has been some deception from family to begin with so that the case is treated as an endangered missing person, not an adult who has fled. What they're hiding, I'm not sure. Is it evidence that Maura most likely was suicidal...or was Maura in some kind of trouble? The Vasi hit and run theory is kind of bizarre, but it makes a lot more sense that Maura would have an emotional breakdown at work over having hit a person with her car than because of a troubling conversation with her sister. Given the spiraling out of control state that Maura was in at the time of the Vasi incident, I wouldn't rule it out as a possible piece of the puzzle.

I have posted this before on here, but here is an excerpt from the article i was talking about.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?he...a5-9fa423208884

Family: No way Maura Murray killed herself

By NANCY WEST
New Hampshire Sunday News
Monday, Oct. 29, 2007

Whether Maura Murray came to northern New Hampshire Feb. 9, 2004, to end her life is an emotional question her family insists is impossible.

Her loved ones say it is far more likely she was abducted and killed that night after crashing her 1996 black Saturn into trees about 7:30 p.m., that they were simply all too close for Maura to have been secretly despondent to the point of considering taking her own life.

Authorities are calling Maura's disappearance a potential homicide, keeping most of the records closed in a criminal investigation file.

"A lot of things about the case are unique and troubling," said Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin.

But, he cautioned, the puzzle simply hasn't been solved yet, so there is no way of knowing the truth about the fate of the 21-year-old nursing student from Hanson, Mass.

Maura's case has seemingly headed in several directions €" from police leaning toward the theory that yet another drunk tourist abandoned a crashed car to avoid drunken driving charges that night to potential homicide.

Nothing has been ruled out for certain, including the theory that Maura has gone away to start a new life, although that seems the least likely.

Almost four years later, it is still a mystery, but the suicide theory has been hard for the people who love her to even think about.

Early on, her father, Fred Murray, briefly considered Maura may have committed suicide.

When police assembled the Murray and Rausch families to brief them on the investigation, Maura's father "moaned and rubbed his head and said, 'Oh, no,' " according to Sharon Rausch, the mother of Billy Rausch, Maura's then-boyfriend.

"I remember Fred said, 'I always have told the kids when I got old and worthless I was going to climb my favorite mountain with a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink myself to death.' That was emotional. He thought what if there was something he didn't know about," Rausch said.

She said authorities thought the alcohol and Tylenol PM Maura brought may have been indications she was going to kill herself. "That's what people do, they drink, take a bunch of pills and die peacefully," she said.

here is another excerpt from an article done in 2007 by the whitman hanson express which links maura and her family to mt. washington.

Maura's second wreck (was en route to mt. washington whether or not that was her intended destination or not) was about 70 miles away from Mt. Washington but she was heading right towards it.

Maura had the book "Not without peril" in her car at the time she disappeared and this article below talks about the book.

Whitman Hanson Express

"Murray said he bought the book from the author directly, when he, Maura and his son Fred were hiking around Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Hiking, particularly in that area, was a bonding activity for Murray and his children.

On that day, the group had just finished hiking Tuckerman’s Ravine, one of the more famous climbs on Mt. Washington, and headed back to the base lodge where they met Howe, signing copies of his book. The book features Mount Washington and the various trails around it –– Boot Spur, Lion’s Head, the Great Gulf, etc. –– quite prominently. After talking with the author for a while, Murray bought the book.{sidebar id=2}

“It’s a book about Mount Washington,” he said. “Almost like a map … It meant the same thing to all of us because we had all been there.”

Murray said the book was passed from family member to family member, as a shared experience. It just happened to be Maura’s turn to read it when she disappeared.

This is an excerpt from an article done by the New Hampshire Union Leader in 2007, quoting Fred Murray. Notice that he and maura were just in the area (of maura's mysterious wreck and disappearance) a few months before maura went missing.

Murray has many fine memories of runs and hikes with Maura, but one of the best was the autumn before she disappeared.

"We were concluding our collection of 4,000-footers. I was doing the last three I hadn't done." One day, they hiked to Owl's Head; the next day 23 miles on three 4,000-foot peaks.
"Then she whipped out of her knapsack for finishing my 48th, a Long Trail Ale, and handed it to me on the summit of West Bond.
" It was typical Maura," Murray said.

more on Owl's head

Owl's Head is located in the western lobe of the Pemigewasset Wilderness, just east of Franconia Notch. Access is easiest from the south, using the
Lincoln Woods trailhead on the Kancamagus Highway (rte 112). Rte 112 crosses Interstate 93 in the town of Lincoln.

Wasn't maura on the Kancamagus Highway at the time of her disappearance?

Just saying.

The theory about her being followed by a friend and her taking off forever to live a new life doesn't ring true to me. It is possible, but for some reason I can't see it. I guess I'm stuck on the possibilities of her succumbing to the elements, getting hit by a car or another accident of some sort, or she had accepted a lift from an opportunist. I'm going on my gut here. I guess I'm having a hard time believing she would take off and never contact her family again. She did have good memories with them, since she seemed fond of her childhood vacations in the White Mountains. JMO

This case has captivated me from the very beginning. I find it odd that the family says there is no way she killed herself, yet in an interview Mr. Renner conducted with, now retired, NHSP officer James Scarinza, he recalls receiving the initial call and that the Haverhill PD told him FM said the following:

"Around mid-afternoon Tuesday, Fred Murray called Haverhill P.D. "What I was told was that the first thing out of Fred's mouth was, 'She's gone to the North Country to commit suicide, to go off and die like an old squaw."

If you've just found out your daughter is missing, why are these the first words out of your mouth?! FM has troubled me from the beginning. Nothing he says has added up at any point...and taking 2.5 years to sit down and talk to investigators (and to come in with 2 lawyers) makes absolutely no sense. I don't think he necessarily did anything to her, but I think he knows WAY more than he is telling anyone. Apparently part of the documents LE collected is a 1-way intercept (potentially a wiretap) with someone. I'd be very interested in knowing who that person was.

Someone mentioned the credit card fraud as being a rumor, but there is a copy of the receipt provided by police which was evidence of the fraud. Amhurst Police also released documents pertaining to the fraud and stated that the charges would have been cleared up around the time she disappeared. You can find this info in the January 2012 section of Mr. Renner's blog. I know many of you blow off the things he posts but it seems like he's doing more than a lot to try and get to the bottom of this and the records he has posted thus far tell me that he's not completely full of it and there's some merit to the things he posts. JMHO.

This case has captivated me from the very beginning. I find it odd that the family says there is no way she killed herself, yet in an interview Mr. Renner conducted with, now retired, NHSP officer James Scarinza, he recalls receiving the initial call and that the Haverhill PD told him FM said the following:

"Around mid-afternoon Tuesday, Fred Murray called Haverhill P.D. "What I was told was that the first thing out of Fred's mouth was, 'She's gone to the North Country to commit suicide, to go off and die like an old squaw."

If you've just found out your daughter is missing, why are these the first words out of your mouth?! FM has troubled me from the beginning. Nothing he says has added up at any point...and taking 2.5 years to sit down and talk to investigators (and to come in with 2 lawyers) makes absolutely no sense. I don't think he necessarily did anything to her, but I think he knows WAY more than he is telling anyone. Apparently part of the documents LE collected is a 1-way intercept (potentially a wiretap) with someone. I'd be very interested in knowing who that person was.

Someone mentioned the credit card fraud as being a rumor, but there is a copy of the receipt provided by police which was evidence of the fraud. Amhurst Police also released documents pertaining to the fraud and stated that the charges would have been cleared up around the time she disappeared. You can find this info in the January 2012 section of Mr. Renner's blog. I know many of you blow off the things he posts but it seems like he's doing more than a lot to try and get to the bottom of this and the records he has posted thus far tell me that he's not completely full of it and there's some merit to the things he posts. JMHO.

I'm not convinced she went up to NH to commit suicide, but I can imagine her feeling suicidal after her 2nd accident. I also believe the cc fraud happened. There had to be something bothering her for her to react by deciding to go up north in the rickety car and forsaking school obligations. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member