NJ - 18 year old woman planning to move to New Jersey to MARRY her Father

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
katy, I am very close to one of my sister's two children (now young adults). I feel very strongly that uncle or aunt/niece or nephew should be added to the relationships that should be illegal.

Uncles/Aunts should absolutely be on the list. Which it is. Uncles have an important place in many nieces/nephews lives. I cannot stand the thought that others might think it is 'fine' if it turns sexual. ugh

Uncles/Aunts should absolutely be on the list. Which it is. Uncles have an important place in many nieces/nephews lives. I cannot stand the thought that others might think it is 'fine' if it turns sexual. ugh

I am very sorry about what happened to you katydid23 it is great that you have managed to make something of your life despite what happened to you. Hopefully someone here will see your story and it will give them hope. I'm sorry if me posting this story has brought up difficult memories for you or anyone else. It truly wasn't my intention I was outraged this was legal in any state and wondered what other members thought.

My Auntie was abused by her uncle for years and it still affects her very badly to this day. My grandmother was absolutely devastated by what her brother did and never came to terms with it. The abuser died a lonely old man with no one at his funeral and no visitors to his grave which is what he deserves.

As I said, this sort of thing is very unsettling but it is not a slippery slope. The slippery slope would be going back to telling consenting adults who they can have sex with.

If a man can marry a man & a woman a woman, I see no reason why a father can't marry a daughter or a sister a brother etc. If the argument is that we should not prevent a loving couple from marrying, how can we deny them. The state should treat all relationships equally.

No.

Just no.

A son, a daughter, a stepson, a stepdaughter, a niece and a nephew ALL have the right to expect their parent, aunt or uncle will put the needs of the younger person first, and base his/her behavior on what is best for the son or niece (even if the latter have now become adults).

This is a radical distinction from relationships between "consenting adults", which are supposed to be based in equality.

Certain incestuous relationships (brother/sister) may be banned because of the risk of birth defects. Others (uncle/niece) may be banned because they violate the fundamental nature of the relationship.

None of this is similar to a gay marriage, no matter how much conservatives fear the sky is falling every time something changes.

I love how the daughter/family are quick to point out that the mother is bipolar. Because clearly, SHE is the crazy one in this bag of mixed nuts.

I love how the daughter/family are quick to point out that the mother is bipolar. Because clearly, SHE is the crazy one in this bag of mixed nuts.

:scared: something about that man didn't ''feel'' good enough to stay with him -- smart lady!

A son, a daughter, a stepson, a stepdaughter, a niece and a nephew ALL have the right to expect their parent, aunt or uncle will put the needs of the younger person first, and base his/her behavior on what is best for the son or niece (even if the latter have now become adults).

This is a radical distinction from relationships between "consenting adults", which are supposed to be based in equality.

Certain incestuous relationships (brother/sister) may be banned because of the risk of birth defects. Others (uncle/niece) may be banned because they violate the fundamental nature of the relationship.

None of this is similar to a gay marriage, no matter how much conservatives fear the sky is falling every time something changes.

If you ban those relationships due to the risk of birth defects, then are you for banning relationships for anyone with a genetic disease that can be passed to their children?

The detail about the tree without leaves decorations is what really makes me think hoax. Too akin to the family trees without branches incest jokes.

So...Woody Allen's relationship should not be acknowledged? Or he should have been arrested? Or what?
Are you interested in banning relationships or marriages?

So...Woody Allen's relationship should not be acknowledged? Or he should have been arrested? Or what?

Yes. Yes. What he did was wrong. Both, if you are talking incest (with father figures and mother figures and children who see them as such). I am not Nova but I wanted to be very clear. Woody Allen: Excellent director. Sorry human being.

Yes. Yes. What he did was wrong. Both, if you are talking incest (with father figures and mother figures and children who see them as such). I am not Nova but I wanted to be very clear. Woody Allen: Excellent director. Sorry human being.

I stopped watching Woody Allen movies when his relationship with Soon Yi (sp?) came out, and that was way before it was revealed that the other sister was molested by him.

Not every marriage has a sexual component. I have no problem with the state bestowing the right to marry to whoever wants to exercise that right.

One might make a case that LIFE-LONG marriage is shaky, given our divorce rate. But I'm not at all sure the institution is on its long legs.

Gay people, on the whole, take it very seriously, which is just one reason why the "Defense of Marriage" folks ought to be on our side.

Basically what has changed among heterosexuals is that women are increasingly well-educated and have their own sources of income. They don't have to stay in bad and abusive marriages.

Now if men would only get the message...

According to Pew Research, 25% of Americans ( 42 million) over 25 years old have never married. A record.

I vote arrest and prison time for Woody Allen...MOO

Not every marriage has a sexual component. I have no problem with the state bestowing the right to marry to whoever wants to exercise that right.

yep....however non consummation is grounds for annulment....

If you ban those relationships due to the risk of birth defects, then are you for banning relationships for anyone with a genetic disease that can be passed to their children?

Fair question. I think--without the benefit of being a geneticist--that it's a question of degree. We all have some trait we'd prefer not pass down; but genetic diversity helps to prevent at least some recessive traits from being activated in the next generation.

I don't think that's the only reason brothers shouldn't marry sisters, but it seems to be the one we've focussed on here.

I think Charlie meant Woody Allen's relationship with his stepdaughter, which is legal (despite my obvious disgust with it). I'm sure Charlie wasn't questioning whether the alleged molestation of 5-year-old Dylan--where authorities found insufficient evidence to bring charges--was "okay".

Dylan, now an adult, says it happened; myself, I don't know. I'm not accusing Dylan of lying: we all have memories from that age that are fuzzy at best.

I stopped watching Woody Allen movies when his relationship with Soon Yi (sp?) came out, and that was way before it was revealed that the other sister was molested by him.

So did I. I stopped watch Mel Gibson movies, too. I'm not saying everybody else has to do so; I admire many artists who were despicable human beings. But hooking up with his (unofficial) stepdaughter was just too much for me to get past to enjoy a film. This was particularly true because, at the time, so many of his films paired him with an actress 40 years younger. (I think his next film co-starred Julia Roberts.)

It isn't just about sex. It's also about providing social and legal clarity in various situations (which is why I also oppose legal recognition of plural marriages).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257
Back