GUILTY NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks. I think giving people evil genius attributes makes them scarier and more powerful than they are. It also makes it harder to identify behavior that crosses lines or boundaries but isn't overtly threatening. If Carolyn ran into Kenneth Saal at random places, like starbucks or her local grocery store, she might not have noticed him but even if she did, she probably didn't jump to stalking. If that was happening. If someone's behavior makes you uncomfortable or gives you a bad vibe I feel like you should listen to that instinct. Her changing her routine could have made him feel like he was stood up for a date she didn't know existed. If he showed up at her door she might have been annoyed and he might not have taken that well.

Holy smokes! That's true. We mysticize these murderers until they become something so menacing in our minds it becomes impossible to recognize them. I hadn't thought about that consequence too much.

I mean I know that I have certain biases about this coward due to what I think he did. Such as that she could never be attracted to him and that he is repulsive. (I still think both, BTW). But people who knew him day to day may not have realized what they were looking at. He may have seemed pleasant, even affable to many people.

A couple of things I see a lot that I'm not sure are so accurate are that every murderer has to be a psychopath and that psychopaths can't feel and never feel guilt. Someone just mentioned the latter earlier.

However I don't think all murderers are psychopaths. They could be a variety of things. (Also an interesting side note is somehing that one of our resident psychs said on the Chris Watts thread about how we can't always pigeon hole a perp into a specific diagnostic category because most people don't precisely fit. Those are typically diagnosed for billing purposes is I think how he or she explained it. And as a result it all seems much cleaner to us lay people than it actually is).

And if they can be a variety of things we can't expect them all to react the same way or be triggered by the same things. So I guess the example is some perps might be compelled to confess if LE appeals to their parenthood. Or their religious roots. Or discusses the victim's family or whatever. In the Delphi case it appears, for instance, that LE has profiled the perp and they make public religious statements that could be meant to affect the possible perp. Because they have a theory that the perp might be religious and swayed by that.

And while I can't say I know enough about psychopaths, you can see some weird things that point to vestiges of guilt or shake or whatever that we think they're not supposed to have.

And example I give is how a serial killer might confess to multiple murders but one - the only one in which he covered the victims' face- that one he won't confess to and he gets evasive or irate of you mention it. Why? Something about that kid that made the monster feel human for a moment?

Another example is they kill lots of people but then finally, they don't kill one. They can't do it.

It's a complexity of character that makes them true wolves in sheep's clothing.

BTK killer was described as a super good father by his daughter. They were close. And look who he turned out to be!

What I really like about your post is the nuanced recognition of the complexity of these cases. It's super easy just to categorize these murderers as merely evil people who don't think or feel much.

But in so many years following these cases I realize it's never so black and white. I mean they're super evil. Don't get me wrong. But there are often precipitating factors like a job loss or as some have mentioned a change in the family dynamic, or relationship issues, or even depression like you've mentioned.

Of course people with a moral compass don't kill people in order to solve their problems. You have to be evil for that.

But I do think it doesn't always just stop with "evil". There's more to it. Humanity is complex. Evil people can have complex emotions. They can be impacted by stressors. They can feel vestiges of love and even guilt, at times, IMO. Not like everyone else of course...

But I really like what you've expressed here.
For men, I think job loss or threat of job loss is often a factor. I usually think that with older men perps, who are established and/or would have hard time starting over and facing the social stigma of losing financial status.

This perp is on the young side for that, but he is also a new dad, which comes with increased financial responsibility. I keep getting the vibe this murder was for professional rather than personal reasons - something she did (or that he thought she did) jeopardized his job, imo.

Maybe she complained about his work or professionalism on the job (harassment, maybe?).

jmo at the moment, subject to change as we learn more.

Reading through all the traffic citations, he seemed to get them quite consistently and then there would be a significant gap in time, so I'm speculating that he lost his licence more than once.

It sure appears that way. I am surprised with such a record he either has one now or can afford insurance.

This perp is on the young side for that, but he is also a new dad, which comes with increased financial responsibility. I keep getting the vibe this murder was for professional rather than personal reasons - something she did (or that he thought she did) jeopardized his job, imo.

This was my first feeling as well as my 27 yo daughter who lives and works in Princeton. If they had any kind of relationship beyond professional, co-workers would certainly be in tune with that. Anything is possible but given everything I have read about this case, I am leaning towards his financial and career security being threaten somehow by Carolyn. He may not have intended to kill her... but whatever happened in that apartment evoked rage that ended in her tragic death.

This was my first feeling as well as my 27 yo daughter who lives and works in Princeton. If they had any kind of relationship beyond professional, co-workers would certainly be in tune with that. Anything is possible but given everything I have read about this case, I am leaning towards his financial and career security being threaten somehow by Carolyn. He may not have intended to kill her... but whatever happened in that apartment evoked rage that ended in her tragic death.
You make a good point. I'd even go so far as to say he was enraged when he followed her, carrying a weapon with him in preparation.

The irony is not lost that someone would commit an even more serious crime (murder) to "protect" himself from whatever else he was worried or fearful of. The rational side of my brain says that financial troubles and/or loss of employment is way less of a problem than being charged with "murder purposefully."

Often faced with self-threatening situations, I also realize that rationality is capable of going completely out the window.

All MOO

What Happens at a Pretrial Detention Hearing in New Jersey?

New Jersey passed a constitutional amendment in 2014 allowing certain criminal defendants to be detained without bail. Alongside this amendment, pretrial justice and speedy trial legislation that implemented a risk assessment system also went into effect. The pretrial justice reform—commonly referred to as ‘bail reform’—has overhauled the pretrial detention system and decision-making framework from one that was based on the experience and impressions of a judge, to an objective system of risk assessment:

Detention Decisions after Public Safety Assessment (PSA)
When a criminal defendant has a detention hearing, both the prosecution and the defense are entitled to argue for detention or release. In addition to arguments made by the prosecution and defense, the court uses risk assessment tools that are evidence-based. A defendant can only be detained while awaiting trial if a judge finds that no condition or set of conditions would reasonably assure that the defendant will not: fail to appear, threaten public safety, or obstruct the criminal justice process.

To make this determination, the judge will consider the defendant’s Pretrial Safety Assessment (PSA) score and Decision Making Framework (DMF) recommendations on detention or release conditions.

A defendant’s PSA score is based on a risk assessment in three categories, influenced by certain risk assessment factors:

1. Failure to appear
    • Pending charges at the time of arrest
    • Prior convictions
    • Prior failure to appear more than two years ago
    • Prior failure to appear within the last two years
  2. New criminal activity
  3. New violent criminal activity
  4. Current violent offense
    • Violent offender under the age of 21
    • Pending charges
    • Prior conviction
    • Prior violent convictions
To generate a recommendation for the detention of a defendant or conditions of release, the Decision Making Framework (DMF) requires the judge to engage in a 10-step process, utilizing the defendant’s PSA score for the relevant categories of failure to appear, new criminal activity, and new violent criminal activity, in addition to other factors.

What Happens at a Detention Hearing in NJ | Pretrial Detention Process New Jersey

New Details As Co-Worker Charged In NJ Woman's Lunch-Break Murder

8/23/19

[...]

Kenneth C. Saal, 30 of Lindenwold was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the June death of 26-year-old Carolyn Byington, of Plainsboro, this week, authorities announced. He was arrested at his home on Wednesday after a DNA lab conducted testing on numerous people as part of the investigation.

On Aug. 19, the lab that conducted the testing told the prosecutor's office that Saal "couldn't be excluded as a match for Y-STR DNA" that was found under Byington's fingernails, according to a copy of the complaint provided by the Middlesex County Court.

Additionally, a car that matched the vehicle belonging to Saal was seen in the Plainsboro area at 2:04 p.m. that day, according to the complaint. Neighbors previously told News 12 they heard screams coming from Byington's home at about 1 p.m.

The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office has not provided a motive in the case.

[...]

While Byington was at her apartment having lunch, detectives said she was stabbed several times and suffered blunt force trauma, according to court documents. Police didn't say what object was used to attack Byington.

[...]

Sources previously told NJ Advance Media that Byington's attacker was already in her home when she arrived. They also said Byington typically didn't go home for lunch.

Police: Lindenwold man's 'demeanor' changed after co-worker's murder

Aug 26, 2019

Kenneth Saal’s demeanor “changed” after 26-year-old Carolyn Byington was found dead in her Plainsboro home on June 10, according to a probable cause statement for the man’s arrest.

It alleges Saal, 30, lied about his whereabouts at the time of Byington’s death and asked a co-worker “unprompted” if he could be arrested “based on circumstantial evidence alone.”

[...]

According to the probable cause statement, after DNA samples were taken from “numerous individuals,” investigators learned Saal “could not be excluded as a match” for DNA material found “in the area of the victim’s fingernails.”

When police questioned Saal on June 19, the statement says, the suspect said “he worked with the victim but had only seen her in passing on the date of her death."

The statement noted Saal was “unable/unwilling” to account for his whereabouts “during an extended lunch break” around the estimated time of Byington’s death.

[...]

Saal’s supervisor “later learned that he was lying and was not at a repair shop,” the detective’s statement says.

New Details As Co-Worker Charged In NJ Woman's Lunch-Break Murder

8/23/19

[...]

Kenneth C. Saal, 30 of Lindenwold was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the June death of 26-year-old Carolyn Byington, of Plainsboro, this week, authorities announced. He was arrested at his home on Wednesday after a DNA lab conducted testing on numerous people as part of the investigation.

On Aug. 19, the lab that conducted the testing told the prosecutor's office that Saal "couldn't be excluded as a match for Y-STR DNA" that was found under Byington's fingernails, according to a copy of the complaint provided by the Middlesex County Court.

Additionally, a car that matched the vehicle belonging to Saal was seen in the Plainsboro area at 2:04 p.m. that day, according to the complaint. Neighbors previously told News 12 they heard screams coming from Byington's home at about 1 p.m.

The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office has not provided a motive in the case.

[...]

While Byington was at her apartment having lunch, detectives said she was stabbed several times and suffered blunt force trauma, according to court documents. Police didn't say what object was used to attack Byington.

[...]

Sources previously told NJ Advance Media that Byington's attacker was already in her home when she arrived. They also said Byington typically didn't go home for lunch.
Could he have entered her apartment NOT knowing she was coming home for lunch, and she surprised him in the act??

If that is the case, perhaps it was a case of obsession rather than a professional thing. Set up a camera to watch her? Steal something personal like lingerie? Just be in her space as a thrill?

I'm not sold on this idea, but toss it on the table to think about.

JMO

MJSF6ANKBVGXXKQVRHJGBXERSY.jpg

Kenneth C. Saal, 30, is charged with the murder of his 26-year-old coworker Carolyn Byington, in June, who authorities say was killed on her lunch break. The Lindenwold, Camden County man is detained in the Middlesex County Jail pending a detention hearing, which on Friday was adjourned until Tuesday.

[...]

Saal’s family also vehemently denies his involvement in the slaying. No family member was present at the hearing Friday morning.

“He is not involved in this. He is a great man, he is a family man, and we know that he is innocent,” his sister, Lauren Saal told NJ Advance Media in a phone interview before refusing to comment further.

Teeter said the evidence in the case, including computer discs, documentation, phones and a computer will need to be reviewed before Tuesday’s detention hearing.

Saal was arrested Wednesday after the Middlesex Prosecutor’s Office received DNA test results from material found under Byington’s fingernails that “could not exclude” him as a suspect.

[...]

Byington went home on her lunch break, which was out of the ordinary for her, and the killer was waiting at her apartment, sources close to the investigation have told NJ Advance Media.

N.J. man accused of slaying co-worker on her lunch break maintains his innocence

Could he have entered her apartment NOT knowing she was coming home for lunch, and she surprised him in the act??

If that is the case, perhaps it was a case of obsession rather than a professional thing. Set up a camera to watch her? Steal something personal like lingerie? Just be in her space as a thrill?

I'm not sold on this idea, but toss it on the table to think about.

JMO

This is a really great line of thought.

Detention hearing slated for man in co-worker's slaying

KS Pleaded not guilty on Friday. Detention hearing set for Tuesday. No more updates on this yet.

PLAINSBORO, N.J. (AP) — A detention hearing is scheduled Tuesday for a man charged in the stabbing death of a co-worker authorities say was slain on her lunch break.

NJ.com reports that 30-year-old Kenneth Saal pleaded not guilty Friday in Middlesex County Court in the slaying of 26-year-old Carolyn Byington.

Plainsboro murder: Man accused of woman's stabbing death to remain in jail

<snip> NEW BRUNSWICK — A South Jersey man charged with the murder of a co-worker who was killed in her Plainsboro apartment in June while on a lunch break will remain in jail at least until Friday when his detention hearing will resume.

<snip> Assistant Prosecutor Tzvi Dolinger requested the adjournment, noting the courtroom was full with a significant number of family and friends of the victim present. Dolinger said there is additional discovery that he wants to make sure the defense attorney Michael B. Roberts has.

Dolinger added that Roberts provided him Tuesday morning with some phone records that Roberts plans to rely upon during the detention hearing and Dolinger wants to compare them to the cell phone information he has to properly prepare for the detention hearing.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper
Back