NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I appreciate it. I can now picture what you mean from your descriptions I think. So then in her building, the 16 apartments are all one bedrooms I take that to mean? Front and back as for entry, eight on one side up and down and eight on the other up and down? Meaning four up and four down on each side?
Yes, you are correct. All the apartments in her building are one bedrooms and four up and four down on each side.

When the video shows her front door, I noticed a lack of “dusting powder” — like what I expect the police to use for dusting for fingerprints in the area around the doorknob.
I could be wrong but the door they first showed with the packages by the door, I don’t believe was her apartment. When I walked by and saw those packages they were at the apartment in the front, her apartment was in the back. With that said, I was surprised there was no tape or anything by her building or door two days after she was killed.

Thank you for your replies.

If emergency repair work or emergency entry into a leased apartment is necessary, how does the complex handle that? I would think a call identifying that it is indeed the management office calling is required form
safety reasons.

I wonder if a landline from the management office was used by a perp who had access (to the office) lured her back home.
Thank you for your replies.

If emergency repair work or emergency entry into a leased apartment is necessary, how does the complex handle that? I would think a call identifying that it is indeed the management office calling is required for
safety reasons.

I wonder if a landline from the management office was used by a perp who had access (to the office) lured her back home.
I also wondered if she got a call about a problem with her apartment. That happened to me once. My hot water heater was leaking into the apartment below. I was at work and got a call from the complex and I gave them permission to enter my apartment because I wasn’t able to get home. With that said, I would think the police would have her phone records if that happened.

WOW... that is kind of shocking to me and honestly, seems kind of negligent on their part. I’m certainly not blaming management of the complex but in this day and age, one would just kind of assume that cameras would be on property for the safety of the residents along with the possibility of theft from the property, etc

I hope management changes that ASAP.

I mentioned previously that Plainsboro has always been a very safe Township and this was the third murder in 100 years. With that said, you are correct, there should be cameras. However, many of the garden style apartments do not have them.

I am quite angry and just sent an email to the manger of the complex. The woman who lived below me moved out two weeks ago. This past week painters were in her apartment and a cleaning crew was there. I just went downstairs and tried turning the door knob. Her door opened. No one locked the door after they left. Anyone could walk in to a vacant apartment and hideout This is not the first time this has happened.

I mentioned previously that Plainsboro has always been a very safe Township and this was the third murder in 100 years. With that said, you are correct, there should be cameras. However, many of the garden style apartments do not have them.

I am quite angry and just sent an email to the manger of the complex. The woman who lived below me moved out two weeks ago. This past week painters were in her apartment and a cleaning crew was there. I just went downstairs and tried turning the door knob. Her door opened. No one locked the door after they left. Anyone could walk in to a vacant apartment and hideout This is not the first time this has happened.

Cameras are so cheap nowadays too, or some types are anyhow and they solve so many crimes, it should be a no brainer to install them. In another case I follow on here, a neighbor in an apartment complex had a camera installed in her "area" outside. I believe the renters installed it themselves. Any hope maybe someone there installed one that may have caught something or have a ring doorbell they installed? I do not think it would likely occur to most renters they could install such a thing and maybe in most complexes they can't.

I am going to assume the locks are deadbolts with regular keys? If so, maybe the handymen can't lock up because they don't have key access? I lived somewhere once pretty big but not as big as what you are talking about and while people came quite often to replace carpets, etc., I am about positive management let them into the apartment and they had no access to the key. Apartments could not be locked upon departure without a key because the locks were keyed deadbolts.

On another recent case on here where a woman is missing, I read reviews on the complex she was last seen at. There were some really good review and a lot of bad ones as well. One renter had hardly moved in and came home after work and found another woman's toiletries all over her bathroom vanity. Not long after that, some of her things were missing. There was a third incident, I forget, but I think she found that maintenance or someone was in there without notice or permission. She moved out and in pretty short order.

Just food for thought. I did read somewhere Carolyn had been there about two years so she was not new to the complex but workers can certainly come and go as can other renters.

Jmo.

Cameras are so cheap nowadays too, or some types are anyhow and they solve so many crimes, it should be a no brainer to install them. In another case I follow on here, a neighbor in an apartment complex had a camera installed in her "area" outside. I believe the renters installed it themselves. Any hope maybe someone there installed one that may have caught something or have a ring doorbell they installed? I do not think it would likely occur to most renters they could install such a thing and maybe in most complexes they can't.

I am going to assume the locks are deadbolts with regular keys? If so, maybe the handymen can't lock up because they don't have key access? I lived somewhere once pretty big but not as big as what you are talking about and while people came quite often to replace carpets, etc., I am about positive management let them into the apartment and they had no access to the key. Apartments could not be locked upon departure without a key because the locks were keyed deadbolts.

On another recent case on here where a woman is missing, I read reviews on the complex she was last seen at. There were some really good review and a lot of bad ones as well. One renter had hardly moved in and came home after work and found another woman's toiletries all over her bathroom vanity. Not long after that, some of her things were missing. There was a third incident, I forget, but I think she found that maintenance or someone was in there without notice or permission. She moved out and in pretty short order.

Just food for thought. I did read somewhere Carolyn had been there about two years so she was not new to the complex but workers can certainly come and go as can other renters.

Jmo.
The maintenance workers should have locked up my neighbor’s door after the contractors left.

Yes, there are deadbolts on the doors along with a regular lock and a chain. Not sure if any of the neighbors around Carolyn have cameras installed or ring doorbells. I doubt it, but it’s possible.

I just walked my dog and two police cars were hanging out across from where Carolyn parked her car.

The maintenance workers should have locked up my neighbor’s door after the contractors left.

Yes, there are deadbolts on the doors along with a regular lock and a chain. Not sure if any of the neighbors around Carolyn have cameras installed or ring doorbells. I doubt it, but it’s possible.

I just walked my dog and two police cars were hanging out across from where Carolyn parked her car.

That was kind of my point that management or maintenance should lock up and probably do not rush to do so or do so at all sometimes perhaps after contractors leave, or as soon as they should. So that is what you meant as well it seems.

Having the police presence must bring a feeling of security but then on the other hand, some concern as well that there is a reason they are there.

Hopefully though it means something is pending or they are onto something.

I can't imagine, particularly in a community where such crimes do not occur.

If I remember the first pictures accurately, there is no parking by the unit is that correct, one parks in a parking lot and then walks? I just recall a pic of her vehicle and it looked as if it was parked in a lot at the complex.

Yes, there’s a parking lot but the distance to the apartment is not that far. I noticed in this complex, in some lots, that you can pay a higher price for a closer reserved parking space.

That was kind of my point that management or maintenance should lock up and probably do not rush to do so or do so at all sometimes perhaps after contractors leave, or as soon as they should. So that is what you meant as well it seems.

Having the police presence must bring a feeling of security but then on the other hand, some concern as well that there is a reason they are there.

Hopefully though it means something is pending or they are onto something.

I can't imagine, particularly in a community where such crimes do not occur.

If I remember the first pictures accurately, there is no parking by the unit is that correct, one parks in a parking lot and then walks? I just recall a pic of her vehicle and it looked as if it was parked in a lot at the complex.
Her car was parked directly in front of her building.

Yes, the reconnecting with an ex idea sparked another theory. Maybe a guy (an ex?) who still had access to her apartment texted her at work and told her he was in her apartment. Maybe refusing to leave. She runs home to deal with the situation. It goes south. Etc.

(IMO, MOO)
If she was reconnecting with an ex, it makes little sense that she would go home for lunch to see him, and not wait until after work. Then again, maybe she couldn’t wait. I’ve been trying to keep up on this story in the news, but there haven’t been any updates or arrests made public.

Maybe not an ex but a recent acquaintance who had been to her place. Contacts her that he thinks he left something inside could he come get it. Once inside, he murders her. Since the police were parked near her apartment yesterday the idea of a neighbor being the murderer is still in play.

I have not been on this one today. No new news I see.

I truly thought this one would be a quick arrest based on the broad daylight aspect, huge complex, people around, etc.

It makes me rethink a lot of things.

I agree with the above, that a neighbor or someone working for or at the complex could be in play here--I was thinking that way yesterday too. I am torn between that and someone she knew tempting her home or who she went home to see or ensure had left as the most likely scenarios.

In other words, I have nothing new and am simply restating what we have already talked about I guess :(

Just pulled into my parking lot and saw three police cars in front of a building not too far from my building and Carolyn’s building. There is a person standing there with the police and one of the officers was on his radio. Not sure if it’s related to Carolyn or not. They may just be extra vigilant checking this person’s ID to see if he belongs here.

Last edited:
Just pulled into my parking lot and saw three police cars in front of a building not too far from my building and Carolyn’s building. There is a person standing there with the police and one of the officers was on his radio. Not sure if it’s related to Carolyn or not. They may just be extra vigilant checking this person’s ID to see if he belongs here.

Any further information on whether it was related? Maybe residents too are being extra cautious and calling in anything remotely suspicious?

Maybe someone is providing info on a suspicious person. I too thought this would be an easy case to solve but it’s been 2 weeks & still no
Any further information on whether it was related? Maybe residents too are being extra cautious and calling in anything remotely suspicious?
I haven’t heard anything else. I could be wrong, but I got the sense the police stopped this person, not the other way around. I only saw the person from the back, but I got the feeling it was a contractor from the way he was dressed. It doesn’t mean he was doing anything wrong, they may just have been making sure he belonged in the community.

I haven’t heard anything else. I could be wrong, but I got the sense the police stopped this person, not the other way around. I only saw the person from the back, but I got the feeling it was a contractor from the way he was dressed. It doesn’t mean he was doing anything wrong, they may just have been making sure he belonged in the community.

Appreciate it, as always. If this is related and they are checking people out, it may mean they have no idea of who or why. I sure hope that is not the case. Perhaps he has been suspected of things by other residents and someone called about something? Or as you say, they could have been simply making sure he belonged there.

This is a very quiet case.

Jmo.

Maybe someone is providing info on a suspicious person. I too thought this would be an easy case to solve but it’s been 2 weeks & still no answers.

This is the MCPO we're talking about. Don't expect this to be solved soon if at all. They're probably sitting in New Brunswick on their fat rumps waiting for someone to call in with a tip. This is the same inept bunch that took 20+ years to bring the obviously guilty Michelle Lodzinsky to justice and who still haven't charged Melanie McGuire's step-father who obviously played a role in (at least) the disposal of Bill's remains

Last edited:
This is the MCPO we're talking about. Don't expect this to be solved soon if at all. They're probably sitting in New Brunswick on their fat rumps waiting for someone to call in with a tip. This is the same inept bunch that took 20+ years to bring the obviously guilty Michelle Lodzinsky to justice and who still haven't charged Melanie McGuire's step-father who obviously played a role in (at least) the disposal of Bill's remains

Well that's depressing. Not familiar with the area at all. So in other words, they are hardly on the ball or capable of handling this or finding evidence and the perp?

I did think this would be a quick solve and arrest and it hasn't been.

Jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member