NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If she went home for a delivery/utility appointment type scenario, I would imagine she would give her boss a heads up that she had an appointment scheduled since IME those types of appointments are never quick or on time. Although I don't think it's been stated whether or not she mentioned anything to her boss or coworkers, right? So it's still a possibility. But I tend to lean towards someone she knew.

Just because LE is quiet doesn't mean they are sitting on their fat lazy behinds or whatever. It could be because they are gathering information/evidence before making an arrest and they don't want to tip anyone off. In the cases I've followed where LE is pretty quiet in the beginning of what seems like it should be a no brainer, it's because they are doing their jobs and building their case, not because they are being lazy. Sure, it happens, but I don't think it's the norm for LE to just lay back and wait for a civilian to give them evidence. JMO

No argument there at all. Imo, usually the quieter LE is, quite often, the more information they have they are keeping close to the vest and that is what I hope the case is here. It always makes it hard though because extended silence can easily make one wonder if the case is being worked on diligently, has stalled because of no leads, little evidence, etc. Also in the meantime some killer is on the loose and that always worries. Yet it takes time to build a case, get results, etc. for sure. I do hope we hear something soon though.

Jmo.

This is downright scary.
Just received this update from the community manager.

Resident:

We know the past couple of weeks have been difficult for everyone, and we wanted to share an update on what we know. We share your many questions and concerns about the tragic and senseless act of violence that took place at our community, and are fully cooperating with the police investigation. Our heartfelt thoughts continue to be with the friends and family of the victim and with everyone in our community.

Unfortunately, the police have not identified any suspects or leads in the case and are asking the public for information. If you know anything at all that the police may not have heard already, please contact Detective Tim McMahon of the Plainsboro Police Department at (609) 799-2333 ext. 1627 or Detective David Abromaitis of at (732) 745-4436.

In the meantime, the police have informed us that they have increased patrols of our community and the surrounding neighborhood. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Tanya Mariotti | Sr. Community Manager
Hunters Glen Apartments
huntersglenmgr@greystar.com
o 609.799.1611

This case seems so quiet. I have faith a lot of great police work is happening behind the scenes. I just keep wondering:

1) Was Carolyn dating anyone?
2) Do they have her phone? Who did she last text? Call? FaceTime?
3) How did she spend her last weekend?
4) Any family, coworkers or friends know of any troubling worries she might have had about anyone?
5) What type of evidence was found at scene?

I know police are working thru all of this but it is taking a bit longer than I had hoped. Now I'm starting to consider it was a stranger. If it was someone closer it seems like there would have been an arrest. MOO. Staying hopeful overall for an arrest soon.
I think these are the key questions and we don't know the answers that LE has at this point. If the answer to these questions is no, or there are no significant texts etc, then i am worried that she could be just a random victim. It would seem odd, but if it is the case, LE maybe has no real leads.

I think these are the key questions and we don't know the answers that LE has at this point. If the answer to these questions is no, or there are no significant texts etc, then i am worried that she could be just a random victim. It would seem odd, but if it is the case, LE maybe has no real leads.

See my post right above yours.

Truly worrisome. If only we could go back in time & those neighbors called the police when they heard screams. The outcome could have been quite different. I hope your community managers are stressing to residents how important it is to say/do something, when confronted with unusual circumstances.

This is downright scary.

Resident:

We know the past couple of weeks have been difficult for everyone, and we wanted to share an update on what we know. We share your many questions and concerns about the tragic and senseless act of violence that took place at our community, and are fully cooperating with the police investigation. Our heartfelt thoughts continue to be with the friends and family of the victim and with everyone in our community.

Unfortunately, the police have not identified any suspects or leads in the case and are asking the public for information. If you know anything at all that the police may not have heard already, please contact Detective Tim McMahon of the Plainsboro Police Department at (609) 799-2333 ext. 1627 or Detective David Abromaitis of at (732) 745-4436.

In the meantime, the police have informed us that they have increased patrols of our community and the surrounding neighborhood. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Hunters Glen Apartments
o 609.799.1611

I can't even imagine living there at this time, much less receiving this letter. Hopefully that only means that the police have not publicly identified anyone (like through media, etc.) but how does one know? That very paragraph would be very concerning as a resident I can only imagine.

Have you or other residents taken this chance to insist on security camera installation and similar things? While there may be a bigger police presence and security with them driving through more at the moment, we all know that probably will not last.

I sure the h**k hope that LE has more than this sounds like. I just still fail to see how this could be anything but solvable but I also guess they cannot exactly just enter other's apartments and such without cause/warrants (like if it was another resident). We all sure do know the longer something goes on, the less evidence a perp will most likely still have and camera surveillance (if any in the area) can get covered up, etc.

Thank you for being here, we would never see these letters but for you, know her building specifics, etc. from you and other local posters.

Jmo.

This is downright scary.

Resident:

Sincerely,

Hunters Glen Apartments
o 609.799.1611

I think when they send out a letter like this rather then refer to the victim, they should use her name, age, sex, apartment # for those who are less informed. It may help put the pieces together for some.

I think when they send out a letter like this rather then refer to the victim, they should use her name, age, sex, apartment # for those who are less informed. It may help put the pieces together for some.

I just have to say what a great point. In such a big complex, they should, it may trigger a witness (who did not realize they witnessed anything like seeing a guy coming from a certain area, etc.) or a thought, etc.

Agreed. A photo of Carolyn as well. The letter was not very specific and, if you had just moved into the complex and received that letter, you'd have no clue what had happened.

Just pulled into my parking lot and saw three police cars in front of a building not too far from my building and Carolyn’s building. There is a person standing there with the police and one of the officers was on his radio. Not sure if it’s related to Carolyn or not. They may just be extra vigilant checking this person’s ID to see if he belongs here.

I have an update in regard to my post above. The person the police were speaking to is actually an acquaintance of mine. He always says hello to me when I am walking my dog. I didn’t recognize him when he was speaking to the police because I only saw him from the back. He told me the police stopped him the other day because he has a camera in his car and the police wanted to know if he had any pictures of the cars driving by. Unfortunately, his camera only activates if it senses motion. He bought it because a couple years ago someone backed into his car and scratched it.
As suspected, this complex has no cameras.

I have an update in regard to my post above. The person the police were speaking to is actually an acquaintance of mine. He always says hello to me when I am walking my dog. I didn’t recognize him when he was speaking to the police because I only saw him from the back. He told me the police stopped him the other day because he has a camera in his car and the police wanted to know if he had any pictures of the cars driving by. Unfortunately, his camera only activates if it senses motion. He bought it because a couple years ago someone backed into his car and scratched it.
As suspected, this complex has no cameras.

Is there any chance though his camera caught anything triggered by motion? Or not? I wonder how they knew he had a car camera, just saw it inside the vehicle I suppose?

Boy, it sure sounds like LE has no clue, and possibly no other footage, that is worrisome. I sure hope they have other evidence.

Jmo.

Is there any chance though his camera caught anything triggered by motion? Or not? I wonder how they knew he had a car camera, just saw it inside the vehicle I suppose?

Boy, it sure sounds like LE has no clue, and possibly no other footage, that is worrisome. I sure hope they have other evidence.

Jmo.
Unfortunately, his camera didn’t catch anything. The police spotted his camera in the car, that is why they stopped him. Turns out his brother is a police officer, not with Plainsboro though.

This is downright scary.

Resident:

Sincerely,

Hunters Glen Apartments
o 609.799.1611

Oh MissyMom, how disconcerting and scary this must be for you. It's disheartening to come back here after a bit of time and not get any updates. To me, this makes me more likely to believe this was a crime of opportunity by a stranger or service person, neighbor, or contractor who she was perhaps only vaguely familiar with and who had good reason to be in the vicinity. I think, though am not certain, that any phone calls, texts, or emails that pointed to activity either from the night before or that day that caused her to go home at lunch would be documented.

The phrase "hiding in plain sight" has been used in other cases - and this might be the case here. On the other hand, I agree that LE is likely working very hard on this case. In an apartment complex this size, there is a lot of old-fashioned detective and interviewing work that needs to take place.

I must say it is nice to have all of you that live close keep us posted. We are grateful. I really get the feeling here, especially with the new info that LE has no leads, that this was a maintenance/landscaper, someone that was working in this area and saw Carolyn. It's happened before, we have all seen it. Now, why she went home for lunch, that is the question. Does anyone know if there is work being done within the complex?
Was she a pet owner? Was her pet ill and perhaps in need so she went home for lunch?
Did she meet a maintenance or area worker that may have said they need access to her home at a specific time or... that may be something she wouldn't have shared with anyone. She was successful. Independent. Was she envied by someone? A neighbor? Friend? It is bewildering to me that the neighbors didn't see anyone but saw her come and go like they were sitting in the window watching? I don't know. MOO
EBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member