NJ NJ - Carolyn Majane, 15, Moorestown, 22 Aug 1975

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Actually, that article doesn't answer any questions-just raises more.

Agreed. It does in fact answer some specific questions that have been asked on this thread.

Another article

The Mystery Ends For Family Of N.j. Girl Missing 10 Years, Discovery Finally Confirms Their Worst Fears
By KURT HEINE, Daily News Staff Writer
Posted: January 09, 1986

The week before Christmas, a Burlington County detective confirmed the Majane family's fears: Carolyn Majane's skeleton had been found buried in a crude grave at a construction site in Mount Laurel, about three miles from her former home on the outskirts of Moorestown.
She most likely had been murdered by someone who knew her, the Majanes were told. And she probably was slain about the time Moorestown police were assuring the parents that their daughter had run away on her own.
"Initially, the police did nothing," said Majane, 53. "They told us we had to wait 48 hours before they could do anything. When we went back, they really weren't interested in it. They said Carolyn had run away . . . The whole atmosphere was, 'Go away and don't bother me.' "
However, Lt. Harry Klatt, Moorestown's director of police, said:
"I was here at the time the case was being investigated. I can't comment on the investigation, but I can tell you that I remember it as being a rather extensive investigation."

And, some discussion on Topix:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/moorestown-nj/TTGK2OLUMV4E2LOJT

This case really strikes me as sinister and evil. Are her parents still alive.?

I grew up in Southern NJ not far from Moorestown. My town was Cherry Hill. It was right down Route 295 from Moorestown. What gives me the willies is that I think I experienced an attempted abduction as a child. I do not know the year as I did not report it to anyone. At the time, I thought it was just a stupid episode. How naive I was. I do know that I was on my new 10 speed bike so I am thinking it was 75-79. I was 10 yrs old in 75. I recall portions of it clearly, others not so much. It was early evening - dinner hour in the summer. I was on my bike on the street in front of my house waiting for my friends to finish dinner and join me. A white male in a light tan colored station wagon pulled up and waved me over to his open window. I rode closer (but not next to) his side of the car. He asked me if I knew where "Candyland Lane" was. I laughed and told him that there was nothing like that in the area and started to ride away. He kept insisting that I come closer to his window that he couldn't hear me. I thought he was nuts because 1) "who the heck would ask for Candyland Lane, duh" and 2) it was obvious that he could hear me. How innocent and naive I was. I wish I had run into my home and called the police but "stranger danger" wasn't anything we ever were worried about. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about the Majane case when it occurred. When I recently saw the photos of Coffey and read about the description of his station wagon it terrified me. He resembled the man.

Tang, creepy story. I am torn as to whether or not a stranger killed Carolyn or a peer did.

Reactions: sub
Carolyn's remains were found at a housing construction site that was formally known as Texas Pond. Texas Pond was a swamp like area in the woods that was used as partying location for local teens. It is now Timbercrest, a housing development just a few miles down the road from where Carolyn disappeared.

38 years ago today Carolyn disappeared and something tragic happened. What happened on that night 38 years ago is still a mystery. This is one of the oldest open homicide cases in NJ.

It's been over 39 years now...

Last night I could not sleep after reading of several missing college students and how someone knows something, and they don't even realize it. This started me thinking of this case which someone told me about a year ago, and it hit me what if I am one of the people that knows something and didn't realize it in this case? In 1974 or 75, I was walking along New Albany Rd. when a man pulled over next to me and asked for directions to the mall. I gave them to him from a distance and he asked me if I could ride with him to show him the way. I said I couldn't because I was meeting some friends right over there As he turned back to the steering wheel, nye moved his suit jacket and was very much exposing himself. A year or two late a similar looking man in a truck asked for directions to the mall and he too was exposing himself. I did not tell my parents for fear of having to answer a lot of questions and, it was embarrassing. I have always written it off as two isolated incidents by a couple of flashers, but now I wonder if this might have been the same man? They both were fairly young with blonde hair. The first one appeared to be a business man and the second more blue collar. I am not the most observant person, but maybe the dress and vehicles were enough for me to assume it was not the same person. Other girls in that area must have had similar experiences. Was there a man in NJ during the 70s that was preying on girls?

anyone with a strange episode from that time period ought to call the police and ask to speak to the detective working on this case. My friend's murder was finally solved because they got a few seemingly small details from an eye witness. She didn't even see anything illegal taking place. please call them and tell them what you can remember about this weirdo asking for directions.

I lived at 99 East 2nd Street in Moorestown from 1970 until 1980 (Barberry Court Apartments). In 1975 I was 25 but with my 'baby' face and waist-long blonde hair I looked about 16 or 17. The night Carolyn disappeared I left my apartment about 9:00 p.m. to take a walk up 2nd Street to where it dead-ends at Camden Avenue and back (in the summer I sometimes took a walk after the dinner dishes had been done and my child had been put to bed). I didn't walk quickly, I just sauntered along enjoying the cool night air (our apartment had no a/c) so when I crossed Church Street on my way back, it must have been at least 9:30 p.m. It was then that a dark car with Pennsylvania license tags pulled up and a man about 30-35 years old with dark brown hair parted on the left asked me if I wanted a ride home. I told him no, and he drove away. A minute later he was back. At this point I wasn't afraid; I just thought he was a weird-o. "I'm an off duty police officer," he told me and asked me again if I needed a ride. Although he was wearing a dark blue short-sleeved shirt it had no police department insignia patches on the shoulders. Now I was beginning to feel uneasy. "No," I answered, "it's a nice night, I'd rather walk." He pulled away but was back a few minutes later. This time he tried to strike up a conversation with me. "Where do you live?" he asked. I wasn't about to tell him so I just vaguely pointed down 2nd Street and said, "Oh, over there." When he realized I was not going to get into his car, in a split-second his face changed and became engulfed with a white-hot rage -- it looked feral. That was when I started feeling frightened. He then abruptly pulled away and tore down 2nd Street like Cruella De Vil and turned onto Chester Avenue, racing towards Main Street. I knew he'd be back and this time, if he found me I'd be in real trouble. So I ran as fast as I could into the apartment building. I immediately went to the kitchen window (after turning out the light) which faced 2nd Street and peeked out. At that moment, a dark car with all its lights out came creeping down the middle of 2nd Street. It was an eerie sight and reminded me of a wolf stalking its prey. I know beyond a doubt it was Mr. Weird-o. When the car came to Chester Avenue, it waited a minute like the driver was trying to decide which way to turn, then continued down 2nd Street. Is it just a coincidence I had this experience about an hour before Carolyn went missing? I asked my husband if I should call the police but he said no, the guy was just trying to pick you up. It was a different world in 1975 and weird-o's were not taken seriously. And anyway, we were in Moorestown, right? Nothing bad ever happens there. Although in the end I did go to the police with this information, it was years later.

I live in Burlington County. Moorestown is a very well to do town, and has a very low crime rate, but is on the border of some other shady areas. Additionally, there are some major highways close by where a perp could quickly escape to, Route 38, Route 73, 295, etc

This sounds like the perp-Raccoon, how far from this was the site where Carolyn's remains were found?

Carolyn's body was found in Mt. Laurel along Rancocas Creek (if I remember correctly). It's probably five miles. In fact, Main Street in Moorestown becomes the Marne Highway when it hits Mt. Laurel and finally becomes Washington Street when it enters Mt. Holly (it's all State Highway 537). You can drive from where I was living on 2nd Street in Moorestown to the turn-off for Rancocas Woods in 5 to 8 minutes (I'm assuming this is the route the killer took). Whoever abducted Carolyn had to know the exact street to drive down to get to Rancocas Creek -- I've always thought whoever it was "scoped out" the area first, then abducted Carolyn.

Where there any "strangers" in the area that anyone noticed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back