NJ NJ - Carolyn Majane, 15, Moorestown, 22 Aug 1975

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would be helpful if Mere and Volleyball chick could share all that they know here.

Also, it is incredulous to me that in the 70s, so many missing teens were labeled runaways who went to Cali-I mean, did that ever really happen?

I think that law enforcement should be sued for negligence on this case.

I have 2 theories here-Carolyn's dad called her a snob. If she associated with the upper crust of this old money town, would there have been rich boys, she would have associated with-is it possible a Martha Moxley sitch went down and that is why LE didn't get off their asses?

However, I think what really happened is that she fell into the wrong hands.

Are her folks still living and why did run back home to Bethesda? Is it possible she caught the eye of the wrong person there and he followed her back to Moorestown?

I believe Fred Coffey was in the area when she disappeared. Can't prove anything but in my eyes he should be a person of interest.

I think I should revise my previous post. Fred Coffey traveled long distances and he was in the Maryland and DC area when Carolyn disappeared. There are some differences that I overlooked previously.

Fred Coffey didn't bury his victims. He discarded them in deserted areas, woods, etc. He is believed to be involved in many more child molestation cases and missing children cases.

I had read that he had family in NJ but I'm unable to locate that information now. It is possible that I read it on a blog. Hey, the first thing to go is the memory.

Regardless, Coffey didn't make a real attempt to hide his victims.

Jeannie, I don't get your obsession with thinking that Fred Coffey has murdered every single teen girl in cold cases. He can't have done them all.

I still feel that Carolyn Majane's death on 22 August 1975 may be linked with the death of Kathy Lynn Beatty, who was abducted and assulted on 24 July 1975 in Aspen Hill, Maryland.

There are many similarites: Victim descriptions, Circumstances, bodies being dumped, witnesses unwilling to talk, and so forth. Not to mention the two were exactly four weeks and a day apart.

Could the same person have killed both girls?

I just stumbled upon this thread. After a cursory reading of the posts, I can see why you would wonder about a connection. Have you delved any more into this case since your last post?

The Burlington County Prosecutors office now has Carolyn Majane listed on their website as and unsolved homicide.

It's about time. That poor girl and her family. Doubtful they will get justice.

Reactions: sub
I am not doubtful. To have the case looked at after 37 years, they have to have somthing new.

:rose: Carolyn is our featured cold case from 6/3/12 to 6/10/12 :rose:

I still feel that Carolyn Majane's death on 22 August 1975 may be linked with the death of Kathy Lynn Beatty, who was abducted and assulted on 24 July 1975 in Aspen Hill, Maryland.

There are many similarites: Victim descriptions, Circumstances, bodies being dumped, witnesses unwilling to talk, and so forth. Not to mention the two were exactly four weeks and a day apart.

Could the same person have killed both girls?

I think there's a few similar cases, you may not agree Richard but I'm starting to think there's some truth in Skippers posts on the Lyons sisters thread.

Did LE ever locate the people who threw the party or some of the kids who attended? Did anyone come forward about the party?

Unfortunately, there are so many missing clues, because her remains were found after a decade went by. There is no DNA from a perp and no cause of death. She must have gone to a party where she didn't know anyone. Did anyone see her at a party? Did kids come forward and tell LE that there was a party in the vicinity of where her body was found? Seems like the last time she was spotted was when she was seen with 2 younger girls. Did these girls go to the party?

I think it's several things-I think either these kids at the party know more than they want to say or this was a complete stranger who did this. I am wondering if there was someone older who was always at these parties

Did LE ever locate the people who threw the party or some of the kids who attended? Did anyone come forward about the party?

Unfortunately, there are so many missing clues, because her remains were found after a decade went by. There is no DNA from a perp and no cause of death. She must have gone to a party where she didn't know anyone. Did anyone see her at a party? Did kids come forward and tell LE that there was a party in the vicinity of where her body was found? Seems like the last time she was spotted was when she was seen with 2 younger girls. Did these girls go to the party?

I've seen some case (sure you have too) where after many years someone who was young at the time, and is now mature, will come forward with new details.
Perhaps re-interviewing those who were at the party might help?

I think it's several things-I think either these kids at the party know more than they want to say or this was a complete stranger who did this. I am wondering if there was someone older who was always at these parties

That's something I've wondered about. I know sometimes an older guy will hang around with younger kids because they think he's cool, and because he can't relate to his peers.

yeah, something is off here. I think they need to reinterview her circle of friends

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. is a convicted child molester and murderer currently residing in Pender Prison, Burgaw, NC.

I do not know where Coffey was on 22 August 1975. He might have been in New Jersey, but he could have been almost anywhere. He had previously been living and working in Montgomery County, Maryland from early in the year until on or about 26 July 1975 when he suddenly left his job without notice.

Coincidentally, this abrupt departure occurred immediately after the attack on Kathy Lynn Beatty, who was left for dead, in the immediate vicinity of his place of employment - Vitro Laboratories in Aspen Hill, MD. AND immediately after an article appeared in the Washington Post which stated that Kathy was still alive and in the hospital.

Coffey remained unavailable until some time after the Post printed an article which stated that Kathy had died without regaining consiousness - some 12 days after she was attacked. So... he was definitely in the wind and unaccounted for around 22 August 1975.

It should be clarified that Coffey's KNOWN murder victims were in fact found above ground in isolated/wooded areas. He is, however, suspected of being involved in a number of missing child cases. A logical reason that they are still missing could be that he buried the bodies or hid them better than he did his other victims. I would not rule him out of any case because a body was buried instead of simply left in an isolated area.

Coffey is certainly not the only possible suspect or known pervert/child killer to be in the east coast states in 1975. There are probably about 20 other potential suspects discussed in the threads of the Lyon sisters topic, and many others not discussed. Any and all of them could also be considered as potential suspects in Carolyn Majane's murder.

Fred Coffey was convicted (in 1987) of only one murder - that of 10-year-old Amanda Ray, whom he abducted and killed in 1979. It is almost a certain bet that he murdered others before and after, right up to the time he was arrested.

Coffey owned a number of vehicles and crossed state lines numerous times. He was known to have traveled through Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and probably South Carolina between 1974 and 1987. Other close states such as Delaware and New Jersey would not be out of the question and within an hour's drive from his Maryland residence.

I hope every year on this date that not another year will go by withoutt justice.

Margaret Ellen Fox (don't know how to link yet) has been missing sine '74 or '75.

She was told to meet someone (for a babysitting job) on the corner of Mill and High St. in Mount Holly NJ.

That corner going west ( I think) will take you onto Marne Hwy which in turn puts you smack in the middle of Moorestown.

Just wondering if any connection could be made.
:waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back