NJ NJ - Carolyn Majane, 15, Moorestown, 22 Aug 1975

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's really frusturating that there's not more on the Internet about this case. I live in the town next to Moorestown and would love to know more details.

I've lived next to Moorestown my whole life and I can't believe that me or my parents don't even remember hearing about this when it happened.

It was during the construction of Timbercrest when her remains were found. The only reason I even new about this case was because a friend of mine was there when a group of kids found her skull.

I'd like to respond to the people who are saying that we (her friends) had to know something - I can absolutely tell you - we did not. We did think from day one that she did not run away - no way she would have taken off with no money or clothes or without telling us. When she first moved to Moorestown she had run away and gone back to MD and I think the police immediately assumed she had done it again. We told anyone that would listen she did not run away, but were not even interviewed until months later. At that time they tried to tell us our stories didn't match on what we did that night, but never spoke to any of us after that one time.
When they found Carolyn's remains, I did not have closure, I had and still have anger. To know that someone murdered my friend and got away with it is hard to accept. If they were to reopen the case I would help in any way possible.

Diane Pearson
Moorestown, NJ

I'd like to respond to the people who are saying that we (her friends) had to know something - I can absolutely tell you - we did not. We did think from day one that she did not run away - no way she would have taken off with no money or clothes or without telling us. When she first moved to Moorestown she had run away and gone back to MD and I think the police immediately assumed she had done it again. We told anyone that would listen she did not run away, but were not even interviewed until months later. At that time they tried to tell us our stories didn't match on what we did that night, but never spoke to any of us after that one time.
When they found Carolyn's remains, I did not have closure, I had and still have anger. To know that someone murdered my friend and got away with it is hard to accept. If they were to reopen the case I would help in any way possible.

Diane Pearson
Moorestown, NJ

Thank you VolleyChickNJ for posting on this thread. I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend and apologize for anything that has been said that has been offensive towards you or any of Carolyn's friends.

The comments made about Carolyn's friends having more information was directed to the the fact that she was last seen with some girls walking down Main Street. I am sure these girls, if interviewed by LE had information about Carolyn before she disappeared. Were they the last people to see her alive?

I wonder if the disappearance of Carolyn was investigated at today's standards would it still be unsolved? I hope this case is reopened.

Thank you and no offense taken, just wanted to let people know we didn't hold back on what we thought. We didn't know the girls she had been with that night, they were younger, but I do remember one being a younger sister of someone we knew. As far as I know they were the last people to see her alive - and I don't know if they were ever interviewed.
Tough call on how it would be handled today, but I would hope it would be taken more seriously from the start. I would like to see it reopened and I know Susan would too, we would both help any way we could.

Di

I heard she was going to a party at Ken's house. Do you know anything about that?

I had heard that, and someone said they saw her with the other girls out front, but not in the house. I think then the other girls went back toward town and it was the last time she was seen.

This should be solved. It seems like there is a lot of information out there and it is not being put together.

It has been 35 years since Carolyn was abducted, murdered, and her body buried in a shallow grave. Although her body has since been recovered, her murder remains unsolved.

This should be solved. It seems like there is a lot of information out there and it is not being put together.

Agree - but appears there is no cold-case department looking at this... correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. The cause of death was classified as suspicious due to the state of the remains.

You are correct. The cause of death was classified as suspicious due to the state of the remains.

Wow! I'm sure you agree that is unbelievable! I guess they think she buried herself - if it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable!

15 year old girls often die in remote wooded areas due to reasons undetermined. I know what the sad part is. And I am sure a few other people do too.

15 year old girls often die in remote wooded areas due to reasons undetermined. I know what the sad part is. And I am sure a few other people do too.

I was assumed they believed she had been buried, and that's why I didn't understand her death wasn't ruled a homicide.. However, I cannot find any info saying if in fact she was buried, and if they don't know, then ruling her death suspicious make sense...

It's not unknown for someone to die accidently and have their body buried by a panicked person like a friend or relative.

She was buried. All the printed information does not mention that. I know first hand. They were buildind my home and my neighbors when she was discovered.

I still feel that Carolyn Majane's death on 22 August 1975 may be linked with the death of Kathy Lynn Beatty, who was abducted and assulted on 24 July 1975 in Aspen Hill, Maryland.

There are many similarites: Victim descriptions, Circumstances, bodies being dumped, witnesses unwilling to talk, and so forth. Not to mention the two were exactly four weeks and a day apart.

Could the same person have killed both girls?

She was buried. All the printed information does not mention that. I know first hand. They were buildind my home and my neighbors when she was discovered.

Hi Mere, thought I read where she was found in mound of dirt kids were playing on. Was the mound of dirt created by construction equipment digging and piling up dirt as part of preparing the land for construction and is this why it is believed she was burried? Or is it possible the body was on top of the ground, covered by foliage/weeds etc.. and was scooped up and dumped on a dirt pile by construction activity.

I ask this because I think I saw a post indicating that the location she was found was formerly Texas pond. I'm familiar with Texas pond in the 70's (although I was just a young kid at the time) and it was a very marshy, overgrown with foliage, swampy area and it would have been very easy for a body to be hidden in that area without being burried.

I would say that if someone put her there in the middle of the night, they would definitely have to know that area very well and be prepared to deal with an area like that in the dark of night. Its not a place in my opinion that someone would randomly pick without having prior knowlege of the area which to me would place less likelihood of this being done by someone passing through town.

Another scenario to consider; if she was at a party in that area (and it was a known location for parties), is it possible she became overly intoxicated and met an accidental death/drowning and lay there until being scooped up by construction equipment? This is why I think the question of being burried or being uncovered or extracted out of muddy/swampy marsh land is an important one to get clarity around, that is if a definitive answer is known. Not sure how probable this scenario is, but just throwing out a possibility.

If I've misinterpreted the location or missed other facts based on what I've read I apologize, but just wanted to throw out some thoughts on what I've read and what I remember about that area in the 70's. In any case, I hope this mystery gets solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruthAndACoffee
Back