NJ NJ - Charlotte Loomis, 14, Eatontown, 1 Sept 1972

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i use to be a friend of Charlotte but she moved away and we lost contact ...i didn't even know she was missing till about a year ago...have heard that her family was told by Charlotte's mother that she was taking a secret to the grave with her and she did ..wonder if anyone looked at the property on Oscoda mich where she use to live

i use to be a friend of Charlotte but she moved away and we lost contact ...i didn't even know she was missing till about a year ago...have heard that her family was told by Charlotte's mother that she was taking a secret to the grave with her and she did ..wonder if anyone looked at the property on Oscoda mich where she use to live

Welcome to Ws yellowrose59, thanks for that intriguing tip!

Well we can add brother Dewain Loomis to the list of deceased and it also mentions another sister Gayle Loomis as being deceased. It lists Charlotte as being deceased as well, however after all these years they may just assume she's deceased. What's interesting is it seems like each obituary has a different spelling for brothers / sisters. Here's the obit.. http://www.obitssetx.com/obituaries/obit_details/4648

It seems like there's a lot of confusion on her travel, and I think a lot of it comes from the doenetwork, which has her flying back to Detroit via MBS International which really wouldn't make any sense. The most consistent information I can find is she was traveling from Newark to MBS (Midland Bay City Saginaw) International Airport to go home to her parents who lived in Detroit. This airport was known as Tri City Airport back then, and being from that area it's somewhat funny thinking of Tri City as being an international airport and I'm not sure it was back then. Anyways, her luggage arrived at Tri City but she didn't. It's not that long of drive from Detroit to Tri City Airport so it wouldn't be unreasonable for her parents to pick her up from there. My assumption would be either the fare was cheaper to or the flight times were better, because there certainly would've been non stop flights to Detroit. This was also before deregulation so fares, flights were regulated and the hub and spoke system didn't exist back then. I can remember back in the 70's walking to the gate area and watching my grand parents walk down the steps they'd drive up to the plane. There wasn't a jet bridge. There would've been a passenger manifest and headcount but if she wasn't on the plane they wouldn't have pulled her luggage like they would today.

She either didn't board the plane in Newark or her parents or whoever wasn't at the airport to pick her up because if they were there they would've been able to watch everyone walk off the plane. I'd think being 14 years old if no one was at the airport to pick her up she would've asked for help from airport staff.

It'd be nice to see the official police report. This is one of those cases I don't think will ever be solved. Unfortunately, it was the 70's and it seems the police didn't do much investigating back then and a lot of her family members are now deceased.

Since she didn't arrive at her destination which was her place of residence, and she was a minor would a police report have been filed in Michigan?

Ok I am trying to think how this all went. Charlottes mother (Rose Laura Dinnan) (12/10/1927-10/13/04) was married 3 times, her maiden name was Morris. She first married a Burton Loomis they had 5 kids. In order of who came first- Carol, Dwane, Larry, David, Lynette. Burton passed away and Rose married Burtons brother (do not know his first name, but last name would be Loomis) they then had 3 more kids- Charlotte, Catherine, and Carton. I am not sure why this marriage ended, but she ended up marrying her third and final husband Louis Dinnan (8/9/1919-9/29/2000) and he had a child from a previous marriage (Dennis Dinnan) and then Rose had 3 more children with him- Lewis Sheridan, Ed, Lori.

As the story goes Burton was a drinker and did not get along well with Charlotte, so she went to go stay the summer with her older sister Carol (who lived with her husband on an army base in Eatontown NJ) for the summer and was returning home to go back to school. From what I can tell all the children that were born from Lynette and later would have all been in the house when Charlotte went missing. I know that Charlottes dissapearance has caused a large rift in the family. Some of the kids thought that Louis had something to do with it (mainly children who were not offspring of Louis), others felt like Carol had somthing to do with it (children of Louis). I would really like to bring some peace to this family. I think this is all of the information that I have at this time, but I can get more if needed. Let me know if you can think of any good questions to ask. I do know that there was some sort of "secret" that Rose promised to take to her grave, and she did just that. I have spoke with the center for missing and exploited children and they said that they have no "police report" and honestly they couldnt even tell me how they knew about the case. I would really like to know who started this search in the first place, because when I started asking questions, no one in the family even knew that Charlotte had a NCMEC file. I would really like to find out if a missing persons report was ever done and if so in what state/county and by whom and when did they file it? Anyone wanna help me with this??

I know much of this has been covered elsewhere just wanted to re-organize

Mother: Rose (Morris)
1st Husband: Burton Loomis

Children: (ages mid to late 60's)
1. DeWaine Loomis (died 5/15/2013)
2. LaNette Smith Loomis (died 11/5/11) born in Saginaw (so there's a connection to Bay City / Saginaw / Midland)
3. Carole Fleming Loomis (died 1/10/12) born in Flint (closer to Saginaw than Detroit)
4. Larry Loomis
5. David Loomis

(even Oscoda, Michigan would be closer to Saginaw than Detroit)

2nd Husband: (?) Loomis

Children: (ages 50's)
1. Carlton Loomis
2. Cathy Loomis McCarty
3. Charlotte Loomis

3rd Husband: Louis Dinnan

Children:
1. Lou Dinnan
2. Laura Lee Dinnan McCord
3. Edward Dinnan

Unaccounted Children:
1. Direen Loomis (deceased)
2. Gayle Loomis (deceased)

Carole doesn't mention Gayle Loomis in her obituary
Dewaine doesn't mention Direen Loomis in his obituary
LaNette mentions both Gayle and Direen in her obituary

Charlotte wouldn't have gotten along with her step - father Louis Dinnan, because Burton was deceased by the time Charlotte was born.

Charlotte went to live with Carole and her husband Alvin "Bud" Fleming. It doesn't appear that they had any children.

I can see how this whole situation would be a can of worms within the family. It's also somewhat out of the norm "I think" that a woman would marry her deceased husband's brother. Wouldn't Carole be Charlotte's cousin and step sister.

Is it possible if Charlotte's mother and step-father were living in Detroit and Carole sent her to the Saginaw area to live with another relative?
Why fly her into Saginaw, when they could've flown her into Detroit which would've been more convenient for her mom and step father?

Very mysterious indeed. Perhaps she was abducted at the airport before she boarded the plane?

Very mysterious indeed. Perhaps she was abducted at the airport before she boarded the plane?

Welcome to Ws liaanne! Somehow, I think what you suggested may be exactly what happened.

This has to be Charlotte
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html

Here is why…

The description completely fits;age, height, weight, etc…

and the most important part of the description is:
"Dentals: Available. Decedent had significant tooth decay. Gap in the upper central incisors."

Look at the obit photo for her sister LaNette.
http://www.oconnellfuneralhomes.com/obit.php?id=466

I'm no forensic scientist, but I do know that SOME siblings have similar teeth. I'm not saying this is an exact science… but LaNette clearly has a gap in the upper central incisors. It could have been a hereditary trait.

The final piece that makes this all fit, is that Charlotte went to stay with her sister/husband on an Army base; which has been identified as Ft. Monmouth.

These doe remains were found 24-26 minutes away, which was a 10 mile drive down route 36 from Ft. Monmouth.

My working theory is that something happened to Charlotte while in the care of Carole and Alvin.

Someone knew the area extremely well, and knew that nobody would trek back into the heavily wooded area off route 36 by the beaches. Route 36 is very accessible from Ft. Monmouth. Someone dropped her bags off to throw off the trail, and she never got on that plane.

Description and time of death fitting, a doe with similar teeth to a sibling, proximity to last known location; too many coincidences for it to not be her.

I think the reason this hasn't been put together was the fact that Charlotte wasn't listed as a missing person on databases at the right time. There seems to be a lot of confusion with her case, because it seems as if the family wasn't too interested in finding out the details. Probably because finding out the truth would incriminate a family member when she was likely a 'problem child' for a step father and a mother on her 3rd marriage.

Also, a girl being murdered on an Army base isn't the best PR a military instillation would want, it was probably picked up and put down quickly. This would explain vanishing police reports and the whole 'let the past be the past' treatment some sleuths have gotten.

I don't think this doe has had Charlottes familial DNA tested, someone should have that ordered; I'm betting its a match.

This has to be Charlotte
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html

Here is why…

The description completely fits;age, height, weight, etc…

and the most important part of the description is:
"Dentals: Available. Decedent had significant tooth decay. Gap in the upper central incisors."

Look at the obit photo for her sister LaNette.
http://www.oconnellfuneralhomes.com/obit.php?id=466

I'm no forensic scientist, but I do know that SOME siblings have similar teeth. I'm not saying this is an exact science… but LaNette clearly has a gap in the upper central incisors. It could have been a hereditary trait.

The final piece that makes this all fit, is that Charlotte went to stay with her sister/husband on an Army base; which has been identified as Ft. Monmouth.

These doe remains were found 24-26 minutes away, which was a 10 mile drive down route 36 from Ft. Monmouth.

My working theory is that something happened to Charlotte while in the care of Carole and Alvin.

Someone knew the area extremely well, and knew that nobody would trek back into the heavily wooded area off route 36 by the beaches. Route 36 is very accessible from Ft. Monmouth. Someone dropped her bags off to throw off the trail, and she never got on that plane.

Description and time of death fitting, a doe with similar teeth to a sibling, proximity to last known location; too many coincidences for it to not be her.

I think the reason this hasn't been put together was the fact that Charlotte wasn't listed as a missing person on databases at the right time. There seems to be a lot of confusion with her case, because it seems as if the family wasn't too interested in finding out the details. Probably because finding out the truth would incriminate a family member when she was likely a 'problem child' for a step father and a mother on her 3rd marriage.

Also, a girl being murdered on an Army base isn't the best PR a military instillation would want, it was probably picked up and put down quickly. This would explain vanishing police reports and the whole 'let the past be the past' treatment some sleuths have gotten.

I don't think this doe has had Charlottes familial DNA tested, someone should have that ordered; I'm betting its a match.

Welcome to Ws. and thanks for that very intriguing uid suggestion!
The timing and teeth certainly seem appropriate.

After some searching, I saw on another thread that she was a "rule out" for this female doe, but I would like to know why exactly.

What test was run to consider her as a match?

Nobody has ever mentioned the characteristics of Charlottes teeth, but from her photo it is possible that she does have teeth that are less than appealing. I have known many people that do a closed mouth smile to hide dental anomalies (aka 'bad teeth').

Also, in the case of the doe, it strikes me as odd that the body was left in the woods when the ocean was within 2-5 minutes walking distance in multiple directions. Let's use 1970's common knowledge as a perspective on this. What that would tell me is that the person had the knowledge that bodies 'washed up' if they weren't dumped far out enough. Most people even today wouldn't run that thought process through in a panic scenario. The person that placed the doe there knew the area, knew the most remote place to dump a body, and was aware that things 'washed up' and chose burial over a water disposal.

If this isn't her, and this doe is a totally different person, then I think we can theorize that someone in the area was murdering females with her exact traits around the same time of her vanishing; and she likely befell the same fate.

DNA was used to make the exclusion. Sorry, haven't been on WS much lately. I just want to mention that I had heard it was the Detroit airport and went frantically searching through my earlier notes and emails trying to confirm. It seems as her sister wasn't sure what airport it was maybe the tri-city, but I swear I remember it being Detroit. I remember back a few years ago I even tried calling the airport security to see if they had any records. Hahaha. I should have known better. Helpful people at an airport.lol. On a side note Rose submitted DNA back in the mid 80s. It was tested against mitochondrial DNA from the Jane doe. I spoke with NJ LE about the possible match in 2011. It took forever to get her into NAMUS due to the police report/ncic purge.

I also want to say that she had a layover in Ohio, but sister wasn't sure If it was Cleveland, Cincinatti, or Columbus. She said it started with a C. Sorry, not much help there. I think the MP report was filed in East Tawas which would be Iosco County the same county they were living in.

I also want to say that she had a layover in Ohio, but sister wasn't sure If it was Cleveland, Cincinatti, or Columbus. She said it started with a C. Sorry, not much help there. I think the MP report was filed in East Tawas which would be Iosco County the same county they were living in.

It's just nice to know someone cares, I would be devastated if this were one of my children. Great work.

Thank you. It looks like a lot has been discussed since I was on WS. Charlotte's case has always bothered me. I never knew Charlotte and she went missing before I was ever even born. But I feel if it wasn't for her story, and her family....I would have never gotten involved in missing persons cases and I would have never been able to provide closure to the families I have been able to help. Charlotte always lingers with me and brings me back to why I love looking for the missing.

DNA was used to make the exclusion. Sorry, haven't been on WS much lately. I just want to mention that I had heard it was the Detroit airport and went frantically searching through my earlier notes and emails trying to confirm. It seems as her sister wasn't sure what airport it was maybe the tri-city, but I swear I remember it being Detroit. I remember back a few years ago I even tried calling the airport security to see if they had any records. Hahaha. I should have known better. Helpful people at an airport.lol. On a side note Rose submitted DNA back in the mid 80s. It was tested against mitochondrial DNA from the Jane doe. I spoke with NJ LE about the possible match in 2011. It took forever to get her into NAMUS due to the police report/ncic purge.

She is not listed as an exclusion on Namus. Why? Not added yet or not excluded?

Maybe she ran away from the layover point? That might explain why her luggage went on without her. Maybe she didn't want to leave her sister and go home.

I think the ME is in charge of updating the Namus exclusions for Jane Doe. I am not sure why they haven't added the exclusion. I know that the exclusion was made back in 2003, so before Namus was around. I can email the case manager.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marisa_breanna97
Back