AMBER ALERT NJ - Dulce Mariá Alavez, 5, abducted at Bridgeton City Park, Cumberland County, 16 Sept 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean. My daughter just told me she was going next door (to her friends house) and I looked right at her and said ok, see you later, and I have no idea what she was wearing.
I guess I should pay more attention. She's in a "black" phase now so she's probably wearing something black.

It's funny you should mention how you try to remember what your son was wearing because I've done the same thing a few times. I've tried to remember what my daughter was wearing that morning while she was in school and I could not remember. I was never aware of how easy it is to forget until I did that.

There must be something about memory that even when you look right at a person and notice something at the time you can't always recall it later.

Maybe that's why witness descriptions are so unreliable and varied. Imo
Was the video of DM's last moments at playground posted earlier removed or am I just blind lol?

I know what you mean. My daughter just told me she was going next door (to her friends house) and I looked right at her and said ok, see you later, and I have no idea what she was wearing.
I guess I should pay more attention. She's in a "black" phase now so she's probably wearing something black.

It's funny you should mention how you try to remember what your son was wearing because I've done the same thing a few times. I've tried to remember what my daughter was wearing that morning while she was in school and I could not remember. I was never aware of how easy it is to forget until I did that.

There must be something about memory that even when you look right at a person and notice something at the time you can't always recall it later.

Maybe that's why witness descriptions are so unreliable and varied. Imo
BBM Thanks for the laugh! :D:p So funny and so true! What's sad is I try and test myself all the time and still fail miserably. :rolleyes: So, I base nothing on whether a parent can remember what their child was wearing. I only have one son so I can't imagine having 2 or more kids and trying to remember what they were all wearing.

I can never remember what my kids are wearing. Even my little one because he changes his clothes all the time. One minute he will be fully clothed and the next minute he is running around in his underwear and his sisters colorful socks. Most of the time if we end up leaving I will just grab something else and throw it on him and I probably wouldn't even care if he matched. I really don't understand why that is an argument for anyone because I can bet you that more than half of the people condemning Noema for this don't remember what their kids are wearing.

And people not understanding that there is a language barrier is really starting to irk my nerves. That family should have had a translator made available from the get. For everything. From interrogations to interviews to whatever.

I have to agree. A psychologist who doesn't know that people who have a 1st and 2nd language may make mistakes like confusing "floor" with "ground" (a common mistake!) must have little experience with people different from herself. And these "experts" (ahem) go on podcasts and just cause hurt with this ignorance.

And I don't think it's a good idea for Dulce's mama to take a polygraph. What happens when she's being honest but they just decide to report she "failed?" Polygraphs aren't reliable but many in the public don't know that.
I agree. Living in a city that's predominately Hispanic, using the wrong words is commonplace. I don't speak Spanish and can't imagine being only 19, living in Mexico with my son, having him snatched from a park, trying to search the park and explain what's going on, calling 911 and then having my 911 call torn apart because I'm not speaking in my native language and I didn't see what happened.

I don't think she should take a polygraph either. She could easily fail it because she's terrified, nervous, doesn't understand the questions, feels guilty because she wasn't right there next to Dulce (she shouldn't feel guilty but she probably does), etc...MOO

I agree. Living in a city that's predominately Hispanic, using the wrong words is commonplace. I don't speak Spanish and can't imagine being only 19, living in Mexico with my son, having him snatched from a park, trying to search the park and explain what's going on, calling 911 and then having my 911 call torn apart because I'm not speaking in my native language and I didn't see what happened.

I don't think she should take a polygraph either. She could easily fail it because she's terrified, nervous, doesn't understand the questions, feels guilty because she wasn't right there next to Dulce (she shouldn't feel guilty but she probably does), etc...MOO

You'd have to have been born in Mexico for that analogy to work. Noema was born in the US. As for polygraph, I believe police often asks relatives to take one. In Elizabeth Smart's kidnapping relatives were asked to take polygraphs. So it wouldn't be nothing out of the ordinary if she was asked to take one. I am sure Elizabeth's relatives weren't all that calm either after Elizabeth was kidnapped. Relatives do it so police can move on.

BBM I completely agree. In fact, every time there's a case like this, I try to remember what my son was wearing when he left for work and/or school. He always walks to the back patio to tell me goodbye and where he's going. Nine times out of ten, I couldn't tell you what he was wearing. MOO

I have read the suggestion to snap a quick cellphone picture, but It's not something I ever followed through on. My kids are older teens now, but when I spend more time here, I have caught myself paying attention to what everyone in my household is wearing. I don't think that is normal though. :-)

You'd have to have been born in Mexico for that analogy to work. Noema was born in the US. As for polygraph, I believe police often asks relatives to take one. In Elizabeth Smart's kidnapping relatives were asked to take polygraphs. So it wouldn't be nothing out of the ordinary if she was asked to take one. I am sure Elizabeth's relatives weren't all that calm either after Elizabeth was kidnapped. Relatives do it so police can move on.

Not necessarily and only for the an exact opposite. Noema may have been born here but that means nothing in regards to what language she was first taught to speak. New articles have said that Noema's parents came over here 20 years ago. Noema is 19. I don't think that Norma or Camilo speak English at all and if they do, it is just the very basics. I can't tell you if she ever learned dialect or if her parents just taught her spanish but I am certain that her first language is not english. Also, the town they live in is mostly hispanic. I am willing to bet that Noema was mainly around people who spoke spanish. If you are not using a language constantly, you start to lose it. IMO

Not necessarily and only for the an exact opposite. Noema may have been born here but that means nothing in regards to what language she was first taught to speak. New articles have said that Noema's parents came over here 20 years ago. Noema is 19. I don't think that Norma or Camilo speak English at all and if they do, it is just the very basics. I can't tell you if she ever learned dialect or if her parents just taught her spanish but I am certain that her first language is not english. Also, the town they live in is mostly hispanic. I am willing to bet that Noema was mainly around people who spoke spanish. If you are not using a language constantly, you start to lose it. IMO

I would offer a polygraph to make sure I am not involved as a parent or anything. Rule me out as a parent anytime..
God bless that little girl I hope she is ok and LE find her with extended family.

this is only speculation and I only hope this little girl is ok
I am a advocate to child protection watching over my little sister when I was a child. Thank god I watched “I know my name is Steven”

Last edited:
I have read the suggestion to snap a quick cellphone picture, but It's not something I ever followed through on. My kids are older teens now, but when I spend more time here, I have caught myself paying attention to what everyone in my household is wearing. I don't think that is normal though. :)
BBM What a great idea! Thanks! My son is older as well. I thought I would worry less as he got older but I actually worry about him more now. I guess it's never ending. :( Of course, being obsessed with true crime doesn't help. UGH

BBM Thanks Kuyluc2764! I completely agree and obviously my scenario wasn't exactly like Noema's life. :rolleyes: I was just trying to make a point and you explained it all much better. I have numerous neighbors and friends that were either born here or have lived here for years. They all speak Spanish in their homes and their first language is Spanish. Some of the older generations don't speak English at all.

"They're not doing well. They're still not sleeping well, not eating well. They're struggling," she told nj.com, adding that Dulce's mother is pregnant and recently learned she's having a girl.

"We don't understand why this happened to us. Sometimes it's really hard to believe that this has happened to our family," Noema Alavez Pérez, Dulce María's mother, told NBC4, adding that things are "really quiet" without her daughter.
New Probe, Family Details In Amber Alert For 5-Year-Old NJ Girl

"They're not doing well. They're still not sleeping well, not eating well. They're struggling," she told nj.com, adding that Dulce's mother is pregnant and recently learned she's having a girl.

"We don't understand why this happened to us. Sometimes it's really hard to believe that this has happened to our family," Noema Alavez Pérez, Dulce María's mother, told NBC4, adding that things are "really quiet" without her daughter.
New Probe, Family Details In Amber Alert For 5-Year-Old NJ Girl

Thank you, also from the article...

Martin has a few suggestions for area residents who wonder what they can do to help.

“We always tell people, check your own property, especially in rural areas,” she said.

That means looking around large farm properties, checking in outbuildings, old cars, RVs or other spots where kids could hide or get stuck. She also recommends residents in a two-county radius from the reported disappearance area make these checks.

She also suggests any park visitors with dashboard cameras or anyone who took photos at the Bridgeton park in the days or weeks before the disappearance check their images for signs of someone who matches the descriptions released by police.

Dulce and her family visited the park periodically, Martin said, including on Sept. 13, three days before her disappearance.

BBM What a great idea! Thanks! My son is older as well. I thought I would worry less as he got older but I actually worry about him more now. I guess it's never ending. :( Of course, being obsessed with true crime doesn't help. UGH

BBM Thanks Kuyluc2764! I completely agree and obviously my scenario wasn't exactly like Noema's life. :rolleyes: I was just trying to make a point and you explained it all much better. I have numerous neighbors and friends that were either born here or have lived here for years. They all speak Spanish in their homes and their first language is Spanish. Some of the older generations don't speak English at all.
Your scenario of being in a foreign country and not knowing the language wasn't all like Noema's life since she was born in the US. So a US is not a foreign country for her.
And obviously she speaks English. We all heard her on 911 call. She is perfectly understandable. She also understands what is asked of her. She doesn't need to go around with a translator in tow as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
I keep hoping she’s somewhere safe with the Fathers extended family.
As we all do. : (
This would be a miracle outcome, and unless earthly remains are found, we must continue to search and hope.

this hope being expressed, it is far more likely this little rose will have to bloom in heaven.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Someone commented about certain google images of park disappearing. I haven’t found that to be true. Surely LE has looked at google images, right?

my key words are “Bridgeton city park”

In my experience, even kids born in the US don't necessarily have a firm grasp on the English language.
When Spanish is spoken in the home, it's usually their primary language and sometimes they don't learn English until they go to school. Even then, they speak Spanish in the home.
I taught ESL students and non ESL students who were born here for twenty years and many of them still don't speak proper English by the time they graduate.
They also can be easily confused as to the context of a sentence when they are being spoken to.
A perfect example was when Dulce was apparently asked why she thought someone kidnapped Dulce in an interview.
The interviewer was likely asking what she thinks the reason, or motive was in the kidnapping. There has never been any dispute about the abduction, LE knows it happened.
Yet her answer was, 'because I looked for her and couldn't find her anywhere, that's why.'

Anyway, hearing her speak in the 911 call, it's clear that she struggles more with English than she does in her native language.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member