NJ NJ - Five Missing Teens, Newark, 20 Aug 1978

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes Satch both men are awaiting trial at this time.

Evans is to have been in court today.

Hampton pled not guilty and will be in court at a later date.

Judge: Slayings defendant competent to stand trial

A judge ruled Monday that a Newark man charged with murdering five teens in 1978 is competent to stand trial despite behavior that has included accusing his former attorney of conspiring against him along with the city's mayor and others.

[snip]

A trial date is set for early May, with Hampton expected to be tried first. That could change, however, depending on the result of Hampton's efforts to have his statements to police thrown out. A hearing is scheduled for next month.

More: http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1110ap_us_5_missing_teens.html

NJ man sentenced to 10 years in prison after guilty plea in 1978 murder of 5 teenagers

NEWARK, N.J. — A New Jersey man was sentenced Monday to 10 years in prison after recently admitting his role in the 1978 murder of five teenagers in one of the state’s longest-running cold cases.

Under 1978 sentencing guidelines applied to the case, Philander Hampton is only required to serve 20 percent of the sentence before being eligible for parole. Hampton has been jailed since his March 2010 arrest, making him eligible for release in a matter of months.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-5-teenagers/2011/10/03/gIQA77gGIL_story.html

NJ man sentenced to 10 years in prison after guilty plea in 1978 murder of 5 teenagers

NEWARK, N.J. — A New Jersey man was sentenced Monday to 10 years in prison after recently admitting his role in the 1978 murder of five teenagers in one of the state’s longest-running cold cases.

Under 1978 sentencing guidelines applied to the case, Philander Hampton is only required to serve 20 percent of the sentence before being eligible for parole. Hampton has been jailed since his March 2010 arrest, making him eligible for release in a matter of months.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-5-teenagers/2011/10/03/gIQA77gGIL_story.html

Booker Murray, Melvin Pittman’s brother, told the court the punishment was too lenient for the murder of five boys.
Taken from same link as above.

I believe they need to stop going by 1978 sentencing guidelines, or any other year sentencing guidelines, and apply the guidlines that we go by today. After all, this guy evaded any punishment/getting caught until recently. Why is it fair to "go back" when the perp has been lving all this time and the boys were not? Kill 5 young men and get 10 years? That is a joke in my opinion, a bad one.

Some states have stopped the 'time off for good behavior' for violent felons. I think that is a good idea.

So, since he is eligible for parole after only serving 20% of his sentence, he will be out soon.

This is horrible. In New Jersey you can kill 5 innocent boys and only spend months in jail for doing so. It's no wonder this world is so screwed up. I don't care that it happened in 1978. When they finally discovered what happened to them and found what was left of their bodies the punishment should be as if it happened last week!!! This makes me sick!! The laws need to be changed. The ONLY thing I can say is at least their families know what happened to them. I felt all along they were all killed at the same time and their bodies were in an abandoned building some place. I have spent a lot of time in New Jersey and I have also been to Newark I wish I could tell the mayor and the governor how unfair this is. The killer will have his day sooner than he realizes.

Surprising end to the trial, given that the defendant represented himself.

An odd thing about this case:
In 1996, 14 years before Philander Hampton told the police about the boys being burned to death in an abandoned house fire on Camden Street, Florida psychic John Monti took Newark detectives to an abandoned lot on Camden Street and told police:

"There used to be a house here,” Monti said, pointing to the weeded landscape. “All the boys were here alive that night and there was a fire. But only one of them is buried underground here.”

Sounds precisely what Hampton told the police in 2010.

Surprising end to the trial, given that the defendant represented himself.

An odd thing about this case:
In 1996, 14 years before Philander Hampton told the police about the boys being burned to death in an abandoned house fire on Camden Street, Florida psychic John Monti took Newark detectives to an abandoned lot on Camden Street and told police:

"There used to be a house here,” Monti said, pointing to the weeded landscape. “All the boys were here alive that night and there was a fire. But only one of them is buried underground here.”

Sounds precisely what Hampton told the police in 2010.

Wow, hcmaestro! I've followed this case over the years, and didn't know about the psychic's prediction. I feel so bad for the families that had to suffer through so many years of not knowing what happened to their boys.

Now that he's been aquitted (when I thought who else could have killed the 5 boys), I'm sick to my stomach he's a free man.

Rest in peace Newark 5.

Very sad.

so after reading these 5 pages, my question is: are they still looking for the bodies even though they know the cause of death? I only ask this as these 5 boys are not listed in the namus database...

so after reading these 5 pages, my question is: are they still looking for the bodies even though they know the cause of death? I only ask this as these 5 boys are not listed in the namus database...
They were burned up in a building that was then torn down. I am sure they will never find their remains since it was so long ago. Who knows where the dirt or the remains of the ashes went to. I think something was built on the site later so their remains could even be under there. Very sad story.

Possible that the lack of Lee's DNA evidence or the body's never recovered lead to his acquittal. I still think that there was enough guilt beyond reasonable doubt to show that he did the crime. At least the other defendant Hampton did some time, yet only 20% of his sentence under 1978 law in effect at that time.

Not anywhere NEAR enough for what both should have received.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BexLuth0r
Back