NJ - " I am the Watcher..." -- A Hoax ?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The three run-on sentences are an odd touch. Am guessing a male composed them. Parts are too breezily prosaic; others are wordy, almost cumbersome. And others -- it was easy to find the poetry in them.

I'd almost guess two authors though that unnecessarily complicates matters -- ill-advised in sleuthing.

The three run-on sentences are an odd touch. Am guessing a male composed them. Parts are too breezily prosaic; others are wordy, almost cumbersome. And others -- it was easy to find the poetry in them.

I'd almost guess two authors though that unnecessarily complicates matters -- ill-advised in sleuthing.

My feeling is that the writer is male. Dunno why, exactly. If I had to choose one element which led me in that direction, it would be that the writer speaks more to "watching" and "waiting". And the tone is creepy, yet reserved.

I feel that a woman would have inserted more personalized emotion into the letters.

Yes, I know that historic recap is sort or personal, but IMO, in a detached, almost "recording historian" way. And I just think it's a man for reasons I cannot explain.

I am not sure what to think regarding the Broadus family at this point. I still lean towards this being a creeper, but who knows?

I am home sick with bronchitis and laryngitis so I have more time to devote to obsessing about this......i will probably crack this case WIDE open, lol.

Augghhhh! No more monkey wrenches! :scared:

To use my daughter's colloquialism:

ERMAGHERD!

There was a comment in one of the articles about "The House of Sand and Fog".

Excellent book and *shivers*....

*Kearny* not Newark as reported before? That's interesting. So there goes the whole commuter in Insurance Field with a grudge theory. Kearny is small and very industrial, and not in a quaint way. It's just over the river from Newark but pretty isolated from public transit hubs, although one edge isn't too far fro the Harrison PATH station. It'd be a little more complicated and out of the way to send letters from there since it's not a stop on the usual NJ/NYC commuter routes.

edited to add: in addition to having been an industrial hub, it's a very middle/working class, primarily white community with a lot of families who've lived there for a very long time, stuck smack dab in-between two large cities with a far different population in terms of community diversity. It's urban but small town, if that makes sense. In a way now that the letters are linked to Kearny, I'm personally more open to the idea it could be a much older person who has some psychological issues and who has been fixated on the house for a number of years (even though I don't think they sent any letters other than the one mentioned in the lawsuit to the previous owners).
But who knows!

Watched the Smithsonian show about the Amityville house this morning on Netflix.

There wasn't much I didn't already know because I am creepy-geeky like that, but it was still rather interesting.

Sorry for the slight OT.
Jodie the Pig nods his assent whilst floating outside the nearest window, red-eyed and beastly.

*Kearny* not Newark as reported before? That's interesting. So there goes the whole commuter in Insurance Field with a grudge theory. Kearny is small and very industrial, and not in a quaint way. It's just over the river from Newark but pretty isolated from public transit hubs, although one edge isn't too far fro the Harrison PATH station. It'd be a little more complicated and out of the way to send letters from there since it's not a stop on the usual NJ/NYC commuter routes.
Good catch, good info.

Jodie the Pig nods his sage assent whilst floating outside the nearest window, red-eyed and beastly.

Yes. And Jodie said for you to "GET OUT!"

*cue empty, rocking, rocking chair*

(My answer is drowned in the ceaseless buzzing of a halo of flies.)

What is that SMELL????? *gag*

I totally derailed this thread and I am sorry. I have only my keyboard to communicate and it's KILLING me. I never stop yakking and now I have no voice!

Maybe they need to check the walls for hidden passages! I read too many mystery/horror books too. :blushing: That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read about finding what's in the walls, being upset about making changes and being able to see what's going on inside. :thinking: Probably not...

Good point. That passage regarding "what's in the walls" makes me wonder too...if the homeowners wrote these letters as a fraudulent attempt to create a legal "paper-trail" to get out of paying, this statement by "The Watcher" would conveniently provide a perfect alibi in explaining why the buyers are demanding the sellers also reimburse them for the cost of their renovations. Perhaps the homeowners will claim in court that they tore up their own house (probably decreasing its overall value) looking behind the walls for what "the Watcher" warned them of? According to the lawsuit document, the "what's in the walls" comment was made in either the 2nd or 3rd "Watcher" letter--which was received by mail either June 18 or July 18 of 2014--so this particular statement was not made immediately after sale, in fact it must have been at least 2 weeks, and perhaps 6 weeks after. Interestingly, the lawsuit document mentions passages from the 2nd and 3rd letters together, and fails to differentiate which passages came from the 2nd letter (rec'd June 18) and which came from the 3rd letter (rec'd exactly a month later).

edited to add: in addition to having been an industrial hub, it's a very middle/working class, primarily white community with a lot of families who've lived there for a very long time, stuck smack dab in-between two large cities with a far different population in terms of community diversity. It's urban but small town, if that makes sense. In a way now that the letters are linked to Kearny, I'm personally more open to the idea it could be a much older person who has some psychological issues and who has been fixated on the house for a number of years (even though I don't think they sent any letters other than the one mentioned in the lawsuit to the previous owners).
But who knows!

I think the police are just clarifying that the letter was mailed from inside the Kearny USPS postal district, rather than the neighboring (and more well-known) Newark district, which adjoins the immediate south of Kearny. Really, anyone could have just dropped the letters in some random USPS mailbox(es) there. IMO someone who has been so careful to elude discovery as "the Watcher" so far would probably not mail these letters from their own backyard. Kearny is just a 30-minute drive from Westfield, and the CSX commuter train line into Manhattan has a major station in south Kearny (CSX South Kearny Yard). Follow that same CSX line to the southwest, it becomes the Raritan Valley Line which goes through Westfield, NJ where there is also a commuter station.

I think that's the million dollar question. How DO the new homeowners know the precious owners received a letter from the watcher on May 26th, 2014?

Yup. From the lawsuit document, the date the sellers supposedly received the letter: "on or about the week of May 26, 2014". Did the buyers themselves send the letter, thus giving them (1) proof the sellers received it, and (2) reason for why there is a week-long timeframe for the sellers' supposed receiving of the letter, while the buyers gave specific days for the letters THEY received?

Good point. That passage regarding "what's in the walls" makes me wonder too...if the homeowners wrote these letters as a fraudulent attempt to create a legal "paper-trail" to get out of paying, this statement by "The Watcher" would conveniently provide a perfect alibi in explaining why the buyers are demanding the sellers also reimburse them for the cost of their renovations. Perhaps the homeowners will claim in court that they tore up their own house (probably decreasing its overall value) looking behind the walls for what "the Watcher" warned them of? According to the lawsuit document, the "what's in the walls" comment was made in either the 2nd or 3rd "Watcher" letter--which was received by mail either June 18 or July 18 of 2014--so this particular statement was not made immediately after sale, in fact it must have been at least 2 weeks, and perhaps 6 weeks after. Interestingly, the lawsuit document mentions passages from the 2nd and 3rd letters together, and fails to differentiate which passages came from the 2nd letter (rec'd June 18) and which came from the 3rd letter (rec'd exactly a month later).
Then again... if the homeowners didn't write them, maybe the work they did was to repair holes they made looking for what was hidden in the walls! Which is about as likely as the watcher being the grandchild of the butler the ex-mayor had in 1920. :nevermind:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back