NJ NJ - John, 72, & Joyce Sheridan, 69, brutally stabbed to death, Montgomery, 28 Sept 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Apparently in one of the articles today (I'll have to search which one), there was a photo taken the day of the event of a melted piece of metal lodged in the floor. The next day it was taken out but nothing could be done to figure out what it was. The article implied that investigators 'suspected' it was the 3rd weapon.

All still hinky to me.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ll-report-of-sheridan-investigation/70549260/

Here is a link to an article with the police report. Describes: crime scene, medical reports etc.
I think "incised marks" means bite marks.
From the article:

Five of those wounds were incised wounds. Three of the wounds were stab wounds. She also suffered from a stab wound to her chest that perforated her aorta. In addition, Joyce Sheridan had three incised wounds to her hands that the Assistant Medical Examiner characterized as defensive in nature.

Not bite wounds but cuts or slices as opposed to a stab.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150329_Deaths_of_Cooper_CEO__wife_ruled_murder-suicide.html

A prosecutor's finding that Cooper University Health System CEO John P. Sheridan Jr. killed his wife, set their bedroom on fire, and took his own life added significant new details to the circumstances surrounding the couple's mysterious deaths. It won't be the final word.

Instead, the detailed seven-page report by the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office and the scathing response from the couple's four sons - itself full of new information - set up what promises to be an emotionally charged fight over the handling of the case and authorities' conclusion in the deaths of two people long tied to New Jersey's elite political and civic circles.

The two competing documents, released Friday after six months of near-silence since the Sheridans' deaths, split opinions among experts interviewed by The Inquirer.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2015/03/questions_remain_in_sheridan_murder-suicide.html

The sons noted investigators did not dust for fingerprints on door handles. Authorities said their crime scene analysis determined no useful evidence would be turned up by doing so.

The sons also questioned how Joyce Sheridan, who apparently fought her attacker as evidenced by defensive wounds, wouldn't leave "a single scratch mark on her supposed killer, and none of her blood was transferred to his clothes"...

The sons say an iron fire poker was found in the bedroom a month after the deaths by insurance investigators even though there's no fireplace there. "Why was this weapon ignored by investigators given our father's broken ribs and the lack of a fireplace in the bedroom, and what was the fire poker doing in the bedroom?" they ask.

I think something set him off and he killed his wife in anger. All her stab wounds were to her head except one to the chest, that tells me there was anger towards her personally. After killing his wife he decides to end it. He gets the gas can and the fire poker to stir up the fire. He tried to stab himself and cut his own throat but he was still alive. There was smoke inhalation in his lungs. I think he pulls the dresser down on himself to keep himself from running out of the fire, that's where he chipped his tooth and broke his ribs. There was DNA under wife's finger nails consistent with the husband and a mixture of both of them in blood on his underwear. It wasn't a planned event. I think it was a guy under stress, anger with his wife turned homicidal. After that he has no choice but to finish everything. IMO

the molten metal object is interesting. I thought if there was a ceiling fixture or a handle or decoration on the
amoire maybe that's what melted. But zinc is would splash if dripped from above. If the pre-melted object was on the floor,
the accelerant (gasoline) would actually be a cool spot (relatively) because of the evaporating fuel, with the area above it being very hot.
There are replica knives and also letter openers made from zinc (not many), but they would make poor weapon because
zinc breaks easily, and anyway, they wouldn't be very sharp or pointy.
But a utility knife could fit the puzzle nicely. (could -- not saying this happened)
a utility knife is usually zinc, they weigh an average close to the weight of the found metal (about a third of a pound)
are coincidentally the same size as the metal 2 inches by 6 inches and are not made from pure metal, so copper and
aluminum would be likely
i don't have a supply of test knives or a good place to set a floor on fire, but i believe if you soak a utility knife in gasoline
on a wood floor, it won't melt. if it does, that makes my hypothesis easy. but it won't.
however, i'm going out on the limb -- if a utility knife is dropped from a hand, straight down, it will easily stick into the floor -- just
above the accelerant, close enough to melt without splashing.
again, barring finances and facilities, I can't check this. but I believe the gasoline will provide well above the 450 melting point.
where does the blade go? it's red hot in a piece of wood. it falls over. the zinc is heavy so it stays in place, the blade goes flying from the water.
it is either not seen or ignored in the rubble, because it certainly does not look like a murder weapon.

question -- Is the neck wound consistent with a utility blade cut?
Are there photos with a blade anywhere?

the molten metal object is interesting. I thought if there was a ceiling fixture or a handle or decoration on the
amoire maybe that's what melted. But zinc is would splash if dripped from above. If the pre-melted object was on the floor,
the accelerant (gasoline) would actually be a cool spot (relatively) because of the evaporating fuel, with the area above it being very hot.
There are replica knives and also letter openers made from zinc (not many), but they would make poor weapon because
zinc breaks easily, and anyway, they wouldn't be very sharp or pointy.
But a utility knife could fit the puzzle nicely. (could -- not saying this happened)
a utility knife is usually zinc, they weigh an average close to the weight of the found metal (about a third of a pound)
are coincidentally the same size as the metal 2 inches by 6 inches and are not made from pure metal, so copper and
aluminum would be likely
i don't have a supply of test knives or a good place to set a floor on fire, but i believe if you soak a utility knife in gasoline
on a wood floor, it won't melt. if it does, that makes my hypothesis easy. but it won't.
however, i'm going out on the limb -- if a utility knife is dropped from a hand, straight down, it will easily stick into the floor -- just
above the accelerant, close enough to melt without splashing.
again, barring finances and facilities, I can't check this. but I believe the gasoline will provide well above the 450 melting point.
where does the blade go? it's red hot in a piece of wood. it falls over. the zinc is heavy so it stays in place, the blade goes flying from the water.
it is either not seen or ignored in the rubble, because it certainly does not look like a murder weapon.

question -- Is the neck wound consistent with a utility blade cut?
Are there photos with a blade anywhere?

Thanks metal art for this explanation. I don't know if there are pics or not of the blade anywhere. This case has been on my local news a lot (Philly) and I feel so badly for the sons. It must be so hard to even consider their father could have harmed their mother.

"The sons of a prominent New Jersey couple say a prosecutor botched the investigation of their parents' deaths by trying to make the evidence justify his theory that their father killed their mother, then himself."
"Mark Sheridan sent an open letter Monday to the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office laying out why he and his three brothers fault its finding on the deaths of John and Joyce Sheridan. He expanded on it in a conference call with reporters Tuesday."
http://centurylink.net/news/read/category/AP%20Online%20National%20News/article/the_associated_press-sons_list_doubts_on_prominent_parents_murdersuicid-ap/ April 14

I wonder -
would Med Ex'er's changing father's manner of death from suicide to homicide
make a difference in distribution of estate of father?

For ex, some life ins policies do not pay death benefits if the decedent's manner of death is suicide.
IDK about how policy w a double indemnity clause would be affected, if at all.

From September:

http://articles.philly.com/2015-09-...oyce-sheridan-cooper-university-health-system

On Sept 28, 2014, the brothers' world turned upside down.

Matt Sheridan had been up all night, catching striped bass on Fishers Island in Long Island Sound... "Everything's terrific right up until 6 o'clock in the morning," he recalled. "And all hell breaks loose."

Dan, who works for an insurance company, arrived first at his parents' home in the quiet, well-to-do suburb of Skillman...

Matt finally reached Dan by phone. "He was such a wreck that it was - there wasn't any question what was going on," Matt said...

The idea that John, 72, would kill Joyce, 69, "it's unfathomable," Matt said.

Earlier this month:

http://articles.philly.com/2015-12-12/news/68963003_1_accreditation-sheridan-jr-county-office

Three families of Somerset County crime victims have vowed they will fight efforts by the county Prosecutor's Office to seek accreditation from the New Jersey Association of Chiefs of Police.

Anita Kavanaugh said she wanted to know who killed her husband in March, when he was run over while waiting for a ride. Kerry Gordon said she wanted a restraining order enforced after her husband put a gun to her head in 2010. Mark Sheridan said he expected a thorough investigation after his parents, Cooper University Health System CEO John P. Sheridan Jr. and his wife, Joyce, were found dead, both repeatedly stabbed, in 2014.

Kavanaugh, Gordon, and Sheridan said the investigations by the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office were inadequate. Not only did authorities dismiss their concerns, but authorities in that office - including Prosecutor Geoffrey Soriano - became hostile toward them as they insisted investigators do their jobs, Kavanaugh, Gordon, and Sheridan said.

Thanks everyone who has posted on this mysterious case. I just read the article in the NYT and came here expecting pages and pages of threads on this. Very disappointed that it hasn't generated more interest as I believe it's a Websleuths type of case which could benefit from the knowledge of everyone on this site.
I find it unsettling that the prosecutors in this case apparently decided on the cause of death on day 1. I can understand the sons' frustration. There are a lot of things going on here, politics, lack of a will for either John or Joyce, drugs. No mention of family tension regarding Matt's drug dealing but I'm sure there was some. This has the hallmarks of a crime of passion but John has been described as a cool hand, not hot headed. Why pull an armoire on yourself to commit suicide?! Would love some input from the fantastic investigators on Websleuths for this case.

Why pull an armoire on yourself to commit suicide?!

It seems the base of the armoire may have collapsed from the fire. I've tried to imagine a scenario of a third party entering the house and committing the murders, but I just can't add up why Joyce's wounds would be so much more severe than John's. If someone else committed these crimes, where was he when his wife was being attacked and why wasn't he subjected to more of an assault? There are over 400 comments on the NY Times' article, many of which question the sons. Lots of speculation about insurance policies. It's a sad story.

Full investigative report is here: ''http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2015/03/27/full-report-of-sheridan-investigation/70549260/

Barbara Boyer (@BBBoyer): https://twitter.com/BBBoyer?s=09

Three former state governors ask state to reopen Cooper's CEO 'murder' investigation https://t.co/PLmj8KQd9J via @phillydotcom

Former Gov says she believes hospital's CEO was murdered and signs open letter asking to reopen investigation https://t.co/wolvgKTsXr

Jersey's former director of Div. of Criminal Justice said he believes hospital CEO John #Sheridan was murdered & did not commit suicide.

Thanks, rosie_lee, Excellent news there is a move to reopen case as a murder investigation.

IMO this was a politically motivated crime. Lots of hanky-panky going on with conflicts of interest involving both local and state politics. Maybe John Sheridan was about to blow the whistle and became "inconvenient."

A couple of interesting articles -- lots of shady characters IMO:

http://hcrenewal.blogspot.com.br/2015/04/the-troubles-at-cooper-continue-lately.html

http://hcrenewal.blogspot.com.br/2015/04/the-troubles-at-cooper-continue-lately_3.html

The Troubles at Cooper Continue
Our last post summarized the history from 1978, including:
- Seven people, including the hospital system chief financial officer, confessed to and/or found guilty of participating in an embezzlement scheme that cost the hospital more than $21 million
- An internal investigation was suppressed for years, but later revealed several severe management problems
- The media revealed multiple conflicts of interest affecting the system's board of trustees, including members of the committee that performed the investigation
- One member of the board of trustees who participated in the internal investigation was later convicted of arranging his wife's murder
- Resulting financial losses caused layoffs and service reductions, some of which affected the hospital system's charitable mission
- The stories received little attention outside the region, and apparently did not result in any fundamental changes in governance or the structure of leadership.

Since 2005, there have been other troubles at Cooper.

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2016/05/detectives_7_allegations_against_investigators_in.html

Veteran Somerset County Prosecutor's Office Det. Jeffrey Scozzafava's lawsuit, in which he alleges that unqualified officials were put in charge of the office's Forensics Unit, outlines how evidence was improperly handled and, in one high profile case, reportedly destroyed...

Scozzafava, who began working with the office in 2007 after retiring from the New Jersey State Police as supervisor of crime-scene detectives, alleges in the lawsuit that he witnessed the mishandling and destruction of evidence in the Sviatlana Dranko homicide and arson investigation, a bank robbery and the investigation into the deaths of former Cooper University Health System Chief Executive Officer John Sheridan and Joyce Sheridan...

"This confirms our worst fears with what went on inside the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office regarding the investigation of our parents' deaths," said Mark Sheridan. "If these allegations turn out to be true, there should be a criminal investigation.

Oh, good! Let's detail some of those points of conflict:

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nj-cooper-ceo-murdered-20160618-story.html

DNA found on a bloody knife in the bedroom matches that of a male, but not the genetic profiles of Sheridan or his four sons...

The family had been told by investigators that John Sheridan had four "superficial" cuts consistent with hesitation wounds found in a suicide. Baden disagreed. He noted deep stab wounds, including a fifth one on Sheridan's neck...

John Sheridan also had significant blunt-force trauma, Baden noted. Specifically, he had linear bruising on his chest with two broken ribs on the left side, and three broken ribs on the right side consistent with being "struck across the chest by a wrought-iron fire poker recovered from the Sheridans' bedroom, a room that does not contain a fireplace"...

Baden also said Joyce Sheridan's blood likely would be on her assailant, but none was found on her husband. "That John Sheridan had no evidence of injuries or blood transfer resulting from a struggle with Joyce Sheridan further calls into question that he was her attacker," Baden wrote.

Sadly, I think anything is possible, but it is always a red flag when drug use is involved. jmo Reminds me of a case I read about, a disappearance of a man in Connecticut. One of his sons had drug issues, and had some really shady people around him ( as a result of his addiction). can't recall the missing guy's name. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back