NJ NJ - Margaret Fox, 14, Burlington, 24 June 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To me it sounds like the caller is reading a script. The way he seems to slow down when he gets to "is a buttered topping", as if trying to make sure he pronounces it clearly, just makes me feel like he's reading it. Also his monotone voice as he says it. He knows the words should have some emotion, but it sounds more rehearsed to me than in-the-moment natural. Maybe he wrote it down because he was afraid he'd stumble during the call?

The way he pronounces "daughter"—the first syllable sounds stereotypically New Yorker (think "dawg" or "caw-fee"). But he does pronounce the "r" at the end, which to me sounds either like someone younger (since TV was beginning to expose the country to a more West Coast accent), or like a native regional speaker trying to enunciate clearly. My father, born in NYC in 1940, would pronounce the "r" at the ends of words only when he was trying to be clear.
Very good analysis. Ty for sharing this.

Pondering about the theory that this was done by somebody who knew her. I could be somebody knowing somehow that she was a vulnerable girl. Maybe unsure about her appearance, being bullied. I agree, a coworker or somebody near is a good possibility. Otherwise how could this person know she was going to respond to an add for a babysitting job. This looks more at random. Maybe a costumer?

The only thing what is against the theory of somebody knowing her; why ask for 10.000 dollars...her father was a self made plumber...A known person would probably know that too. I really don't know what a skilled person earned those days, but to me it seems it wouldn't be a situation with a whole lot of money available. No offence meant here, but it looks like there wasn't enough money for dental repairs. I know....., different times, the if's and the could be's....and all the things that can be said against this...so please don't hit me.
Lol I get what you’re saying...I find it odd that he asked for a ransom afterward. What sexual predator does that? This makes me think it was some sicko implementing himself into this crime.
~”In the hours after Margaret was reported missing, police started recording all phone calls placed to her residence. Once was from a man who demanded $10,000 for Margaret's safe return. He stated, "$10,000 might be a lot of bread, but your daughter's life is the buttered topping."
Do we know if it was known around town that she was missing before the call?

MOO EBM

Last edited:
Originally, I fully thought the caller was faking the accent and speech pattern but now I'm not entirely sure. The caller might have felt comfortable speaking in his everyday voice if he were a stranger to the family/locality and did not fear being remotely identified via his voice. On the other hand, he may have had that very concern and faked the voice.

The caller's cadence and toccata speech pattern can be heard in Senator Bernie Sanders' speech. Sanders was born and raised in Brooklyn, attended Brooklyn College and University of Chicago. Imagine Bernie saying the caller's phrase... it makes it seem like natural Brooklyn-speak, not faked. If the caller wanted to disguise his voice though, he might have chosen to present in a somewhat 'New-Yawk' accent but TBH, I don't believe it's regional pure, that's why I'm leaning toward it being faked to at least some degree. His "life" and "buttered topping" utterances seem forced-exaggerated and maybe that's what's causing my on-the-fence waffling.

What other methods would such an individual use to lure young women to him? We know in this case it was babysitting. Did this caller use this ploy in other situations, maybe using a different approach? Sign up for piano lessons? Try out for a modelling photo shoot? Become an actress?

Maybe researching similar disappearances within at least the tri-state area might reveal a connection to this case? If I find the time...

Lol I get what you’re saying...I find it odd that he asked for a ransom afterward. What sexual predator does that? This makes me think it was some sicko implementing himself into this crime.
~”In the hours after Margaret was reported missing, police started recording all phone calls placed to her residence. Once was from a man who demanded $10,000 for Margaret's safe return. He stated, "$10,000 might be a lot of bread, but your daughter's life is the buttered topping."
Do we know if it was known around town that she was missing before the call?

MOO EBM

I believe it might not have been a true 'demand for ransom' call. I believe it was the killer bragging, thrilling in his evil deed. He emphasized "life" and "buttered topping", as if reveling in the act.

Any chance the perp was a kid/teen?

I get a teen/young adult vibe too. The "buttered topping" part sounds immature to me, like he's restraining a laugh—because he knows nobody talks like that. The words don't exactly sound urgent or serious. "Icing on the cake" would because it's more common.

This may sound silly, but it reminded me of the "Has your muffin been buttered" scene from the 2004 film Mean Girls. Listen to how he reads his questions. It makes me think that maybe this was a prank call, done on a dare, and the caller spoke like that so his friends, standing nearby, would hear his words clearly and get a good laugh.

Pondering about the theory that this was done by somebody who knew her. I could be somebody knowing somehow that she was a vulnerable girl. Maybe unsure about her appearance, being bullied. I agree, a coworker or somebody near is a good possibility. Otherwise how could this person know she was going to respond to an add for a babysitting job. This looks more at random. Maybe a costumer?

The only thing what is against the theory of somebody knowing her; why ask for 10.000 dollars...her father was a self made plumber...A known person would probably know that too. I really don't know what a skilled person earned those days, but to me it seems it wouldn't be a situation with a whole lot of money available. No offence meant here, but it looks like there wasn't enough money for dental repairs. I know....., different times, the if's and the could be's....and all the things that can be said against this...so please don't hit me.

It seems that I have misread a part. Margaret placed an add herself for a babysitting job. I wonder if she did this in the local paper or in the supermarket where she worked. At least in the old days local supermarkets would have a notice board, especially for small handwritten adds.

I keep messing up. Sorry! To answer my own question :)

This is the add she placed in the paper. FBI releases chilling ransom call in 1974 disappearance of girl, 14 | Daily Mail Online
Notice that in this adv. babysitters and teen girls are mentioned. What's with that? Was she planning to do it with a friend?

Last edited:
15282682-7183971-image-a-2_1561561227342.jpg

What happened to Margaret? The FBI has released an enhanced version of a ransom call from 1974 related to the disappearance of 14-year-old Margaret Ellen Fox (pictured at the time) from New Jersey.

Could "buttered topping be a reference taken from Monty Python's Lumberjack song:
..." I chop down trees, I eat my lunch, I go the Lavatree.
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have Buttered Scones for tea."...

Although the accent sounds like something from New York, the wording sounds a bit British.

This is the add she placed in the paper. FBI releases chilling ransom call in 1974 disappearance of girl, 14 | Daily Mail Online
Notice that in this adv. babysitters and teen girls are mentioned. What's with that? Was she planning to do it with a friend?

I believe it was her cousin who she was going to babysit with, or they were both looking for jobs. I’ll try to find the article that mentions it! For some reason I think I remember reading the cousin’s parents didn’t want her to go.

ETA: “Fox was in eighth grade at St. Paul's Roman Catholic School in Burlington when she and a cousin, Lynn Parks, placed a classified ad in a local newspaper, with a phone number, seeking babysitting work. A man who identified himself as John Marshall responded. He told Parks he had a 5-year-old son, a backyard swimming pool, and a swing set at his Mount Holly home.

Parks' parents wouldn't give her permission to go, so she gave Fox the man's number and phone number. When Fox called him, he said he would pay her $40 to babysit the child for four hours a day, five days a week, and that he would meet her at the bus stop on June 24.

So obvious now he mentioned the pool and swing set to lure them in :(

A South Jersey teen left for a babysitting job 43 years ago and disappeared. Is she still alive?

Last edited:
I believe it was her cousin who she was going to babysit with, or they were both looking for jobs. I’ll try to find the article that mentions it! For some reason I think I remember reading the cousin’s parents didn’t want her to go.

ETA: “Fox was in eighth grade at St. Paul's Roman Catholic School in Burlington when she and a cousin, Lynn Parks, placed a classified ad in a local newspaper, with a phone number, seeking babysitting work. A man who identified himself as John Marshall responded. He told Parks he had a 5-year-old son, a backyard swimming pool, and a swing set at his Mount Holly home.

Parks' parents wouldn't give her permission to go, so she gave Fox the man's number and phone number. When Fox called him, he said he would pay her $40 to babysit the child for four hours a day, five days a week, and that he would meet her at the bus stop on June 24.

A South Jersey teen left for a babysitting job 43 years ago and disappeared. Is she still alive?
So 'Marshall' didn't just talk to Margaret and her dad, he talked to the cousin too?

If she is still alive, and at her age that is possible, she is the only one left who remembers how he talked.

I would imagine he didn't sound unnatural when talking to these folks several times. He would sound like a local too, otherwise they would get suspicious. Or at least noticed that.

LE might have a point not to place great importance on the ransom demands back then. Sounded like a prank.

But why release the audio now? So that they cover all bases?

Another point to reply to the same quote :)

If he made up the pool and other details about his family and his house, and not just mixing some truths with some lies.... he must be one heck of a lying psychopath. IMO not his first and wouldn't be his last crime.

<snipped with respect>

Thanks for the info HeyJudette. I read the whole thread now and also all the different presented information from article etc. The information is pretty messed up. Some things don't seem to be accurate and makes me think...

The article you quoted says;
Parks' <the cousin> parents wouldn't give her permission to go <IIRC she was only 11 and her parents found it to far away, sounds logical> so she <who is she? sounds like the cousin> gave Fox the man's number and phone number <I thought the only phone number given was to Margaret where she could reach him, later traced back to a phone boot outside an A&P supermarket in Lumberton>. When Fox <Margaret or the father"?> called him <again this is suggesting somebody from the Fox family called "John Marshall", instead the other way around>, he said he would pay her $40 to babysit the child for four hours a day, five days a week, and that he would meet her at the bus stop on June 24. I will go with this version "She received a response to the ad from a man who called himself John Marshall. He finally told the teen he would meet her in a red Volkswagen Beetle and gave her a telephone number to reach him. That number was ultimately traced to a public phone booth at a supermarket in Lumberton, New Jersey".

In the Doe Network file: to meet a man who had advertised for a baby sitter. The telephone number in the ad was traced to a Lumberton supermarket. Incorrect. Margaret and her cousin placed an add in The Burlington Times with both their phone numbers.

Suspects being possibly "John Marshall":
There was the supermarket manager's named Jack Marshall, he was cleared by LE.
There is also the talk about an employee of the A&P supermarket; “Fellow officers also attempted to work every angle of the case and found their first suspect, an employee at the A & P named John Marshall. Marshall was eventually cleared after his alibi checked out and he passed a polygraph exam". Are Jack and John Marshall both named as suspects, mabye the same person and is intel mixed up?

Fact is the number "John Marshal" gave was traced back to the phone boot at the supermarket. The ransom call wasn't traced back.

The ransom call came after the police reported Margaret missing in the media. (read that somewhere...have to find it again) Although in this statement they are talking about hours after Margaret went missing. An audio recording from the hours after Margaret Fox's disappearance in which a man claiming he had Margaret in his custody demands money for her return" FBI Newark Margaret Fox Cold Case Phone Call — FBI That would make a huge difference. If it was after the release in the media a (sick) prank would be more likely.

The father spoke to "John Marshall" on the phone about the babysitting, thinking him to be a man between 30-40. Margaret's mother answered the ransom call on June 28, but the caller never contacted the Fox family again, according to the FBI. I wonder if Margaret's father ever had the opportunity to listen to the ransom call recording. I'm afraid not. Did Margaret's mother and father exchanged information about the voice/phone conversations?

About the delivery range the Burlington County Times where Margaret placed the add in (I'm not sure this is accurate for 1974, but to get a broad impression) "The best source to get news about Burlington County, New Jersey and towns of Bordentown, Moorestown, Burlington, Cinnaminson, Mount Laurel, Pemberton, Riverside and Maple Shade".
From wiki Burlington County Times - Wikipedia The paper publishes weekly special sections, including "To Do", a guide to local entertainment, and "Spot" a weekly guide to things to see and do in Marlton, New Jersey, Medford, New Jersey, Medford Lakes, New Jersey, Moorestown, New Jersey, Mount Laurel, New Jersey, Riverton, New Jersey, and Southampton, New Jersey.

About other missing and murdered New Jersey girls.
Cases New Jersey Girl Murders 1960-1980
Margaret Fox, 14 [MISSING]
1974 June 24 Mount Holly, Burlington County, NJ.

Cause of death: unknown

Forensic characteristics:
Lured from home to an abduction in Mount Holly - highly organized abduction -

On Tuesday, June 18, 1974 Margaret Fox, 14, and her cousin Lynn Park, 11, placed ad in newspaper seeking baby sitter work, giving their two phone numbers: "BABYSITTERS - Experienced. Teen girls. Love Kids. Work at your house. Call..." The two girls lived on Penn Street in Burlington a few doors away from each other. On June 19, Lynn Park received a call from a "John Marshall" offering her work in Mount Holly to take care of "his five-year-old son". Park's mother refused to allow her to work so far away from home. Fox was then called and offered the same job which she accepted. "Marshall" instructed her to travel on Friday to the bus stop at High and Mill Street, in Mount Holly, approximately 20 minutes away, where "his wife would come and pick her up in a red volkwagen." Margaret wrote down "Marshall's" phone number. Later that night "Marshall" called again, and spoke to Margaret's father, changing the date to next Monday because of a "death in the family." The father would later state that "Marshall" appeared to have a voice of a 30-40 year-old male.

On, Monday, June 24 Fox boarded a Transport of New Jersey’s 8:40 a.m. bus to Mount Holly. Two witnesses saw her get off at the destination - one saw her speak to a young man in his twenties driving a red sports car. Margaret Fox remains missing.

Fox failed to return home. When the family called the "John Marshall" telephone number, it turned out to be for a phone booth at an A&P Supermarket parking lot on Route 38 in Lumberton managed by a Jack Marshall. Jack Marshall was cleared by police.

According to this article Fox made arrangements to meet the man's wife at the corner of High and Mill streets in Mount Holly on June 24, 1974. The teen was told the wife would be driving a red Volkswagen. NJ cold case: FBI releases audio file in 14-year-old babysitter's 1974 disappearance
Someone up the thread mentioned Jack Owens Houseman, same MO. His female friend was also arrested; New Jersey Briefs scroll down. Won't mention her name, can't find anything about her being declared quilty, what if the purp had indeed a female accomplish. Of course this also be told not making her suspicious, flipping a woman in. Sadly enough we all know not all women are trustworthy, but still mainstream thinking.

The saddest thing, if the info in this 2017 article is still accurate.
- Dental records got lost
- Police are also working with no DNA (two of her 4 brothers are still alive......see for statement the above article.....is there still no DNA?)
Retired NJ Officer Works to Solve Cold Case of Missing Teen

In the murder list is also a possible suspect mentioned with a NY connection. (thinking about the possible accent of the ransom money caller, which I don't know nothing about, saw some people mention this)

Sorry for this long post, don't want to clutter up this thread with all kinds of loose comments.

Last edited:
The father spoke to "John Marshall" on the phone about the babysitting, thinking him to be a man between 30-40. Margaret's mother answered the ransom call on June 28, but the caller never contacted the Fox family again, according to the FBI. I wonder if Margaret's father ever had the opportunity to listen to the ransom call recording. I'm afraid not. Did Margaret's mother and father exchanged information about the voice/phone conversations?

Thank you for the post! You covered everything so well.

I just read this about Margaret’s father listening to the ransom call:

“Four days after their daughter vanished, Mary Fox received the ransom call that police released for the first time Monday. David Fox listened to a recording of the call but was unable to say definitively whether the caller was the “John Marshall” he’d spoken to previously.”

ETA: I haven’t read this anywhere else about the second ransom letter:

“The ransom letter came the next day.

David and Mary Fox immediately withdrew the demanded money but never received further instructions.

Two days later, the family was sent a new version of the letter, one that referred to Fox in the past tense.

″$10,000 was a lot of bread,” the letter said. “But your daughter’s life was the buttered topping.””

FBI announces reward, releases recording in Margaret Fox case

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, I don’t recall seeing it. Seems that they were trying to identify this sketch of a man seen in Mount Holly who a month prior to Margaret’s disappearance had tried to pick up a girl in town...

Attachments

• 50113753-F63A-473F-922C-DA87088AB515.jpeg
    50113753-F63A-473F-922C-DA87088AB515.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 19B76BEC-4129-4451-A619-C844E846829C.jpeg
    19B76BEC-4129-4451-A619-C844E846829C.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 29
Sorry everyone for the multiple posts! I’ve been going through Cases New Jersey Girl Murders 1960-1980 which was mentioned before, and after the above mentioned sketch, I noticed this post about Theresa Caseiro. The height is off, but the sandy hair, age, and red car match. Willingboro is a 15 minute right from Mount Holly.

Attachments

• AD773A96-E6A1-4C96-BFBA-297A1BBBDE07.jpeg
    AD773A96-E6A1-4C96-BFBA-297A1BBBDE07.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 36
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, I don’t recall seeing it. Seems that they were trying to identify this sketch of a man seen in Mount Holly who a month prior to Margaret’s disappearance had tried to pick up a girl in town...

Thanks for all the highlights (if can be called that)! Scary looking eyes, I'd say.

Definitely a likely suspect.. They had a good sketch and description, but couldn't find him. He would be about 80 now. A guy that would have escaped justice....

Thank you for the post! You covered everything so well.

I just read this about Margaret’s father listening to the ransom call:

“Four days after their daughter vanished, Mary Fox received the ransom call that police released for the first time Monday. David Fox listened to a recording of the call but was unable to say definitively whether the caller was the “John Marshall” he’d spoken to previously.”

ETA: I haven’t read this anywhere else about the second ransom letter:

“The ransom letter came the next day.

David and Mary Fox immediately withdrew the demanded money but never received further instructions.

Two days later, the family was sent a new version of the letter, one that referred to Fox in the past tense.

″$10,000 was a lot of bread,” the letter said. “But your daughter’s life was the buttered topping.””

Interesting that every media report seems to capture slightly different details. I can't see the gallery inside the link above, so thanks for posting that suspect's sketch.

Also from the link,
Investigators also tested numerous unidentified remains against Margaret’s DNA but never got a hit.

So they did have her DNA. Even not the dental records.

Wow...good find! Reminds me of something from another thread...the very blue eyes of an attacker
Interesting that every media report seems to capture slightly different details. I can't see the gallery inside the link above, so thanks for posting that suspect's sketch.

Also from the link,
Investigators also tested numerous unidentified remains against Margaret’s DNA but never got a hit.

That's good news if DNA is there.

Also from the link,

Right! I feel like I’m getting new info or different info with every new article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back