NJ NJ - Mark Himebaugh, 11, Del Haven, Cape May County, 25 Nov 1991

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting. I never considered the quicksand possibility.

My parents had purchased a house "down the shore" in North Cape May about a year before Mark's disappearance. He was about my age at the time he vanished - I was 13 then.

We used to see the signs all over, although I had never known exactly where he had last been seen. When this case was brought to the forefront again a few years ago, and the area was described, I realized I knew exactly from where he had disappeared, and what the terrain was like there. We used to drive through the area fairly regularly.

And as soon as I put that together with his disappearance, my first, immediate thought was, "He's still there." That Mark had, in other words, somehow gotten into one of the nearby marshy areas and sunk into a hollow.

A few years ago I read an article about how one or two people a year drown attempting to cross the "upper" Delaware River (i.e., north of Philly and maybe even north of New Hope, towards Easton). The water seems shallow enough and people try to walk across. And if you are lucky, you make it. But there are invisible sink holes everywhere, and if you step into one, you can get trapped, drown, and of course most often people come up, but it can take a while. And we're talking about a river here, not an overgrown marshy area.

That area where he disappeared from is not too populous. Sure, a predator could have been lying in wait. But my gut tells me different.

Cold Case Revisited Nearly 25 Years After Boy Goes Missing In Cape May County

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/09/20/cold-case-revisited-nearly-25-years-after-boy-goes-missing-in-cape-may-county/

Nearly 25 years after a boy went missing from Cape May County, authorities may be closer than ever to uncovering the mystery.

At the time of his disappearance there was an unidentified witness who said that they had seen Mark with a young girl around his age.

Now, if that girl existed she was never identified — but there is a man named Thomas Butcavage.

Originally from Haverford, Butcavage is currently in prison for child sex crimes. He was tied to the case by a tipster who went public with a claim that Butcavage had showed him child *advertiser censored* featuring Himebaugh.

Police Chief Christopher Leusner, “If anyone knows of any links to Cape May County with Thomas Butcavage we want to hear from you.”

Documentary stirs emotions over 25-year-old missing child case

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/documentary-stirs-emotions-over--year-old-missing-child-case/article_90dc0c15-8af5-5a22-b121-74c8fd1506a0.html

Audience members dabbed their eyes after the emotional reveal of Rippy Saling’s and Ed Claypoole’s new documentary, “The One Percent: The Mark Himebaugh Story,” which played at the Cape May Film Festival on Saturday evening.

The title comes from a statistic: Only 1 percent of children reported missing by a caregiver are never found.

Mark Himebaugh, the 11-year-old Del Haven boy who went missing near his home 25 years ago, is part of the 1 percent.

“I have a good feeling in my heart,” Maureen Himebaugh said. Maureen, who still lives in the same Del Haven home, noted other returned missing children such as Jaycee Dugard, who went missing the same year as Mark.

“I don’t know if it’s because he’s up there telling me he’s OK or if he’s really sending me vibes, he could come home,” she said. “I don’t like to think about (human) trafficking and I’ve accepted he might be gone, and if he is gone, then I hope that all of this done helps other parents or bring better things for us in the future. But my hope is he come home.”

The filmmakers hope the film will jog memories or bring more answers to their aunt, but they said asking the hard questions during filming was difficult.

This week marks 25 years missing ....

http://nj1015.com/25-years-later-cape-may-county-missing-child-case-still-a-mystery/

Mark Himebaugh, 11, was reportedly last seen at Cape May County Park-South. His mother was driving a neighbor to pick up their car, and in that half-hour trip, Mark vanished. The only trace of evidence that was found was the boy’s left shoe, not far from his home.

“Someone convinced Mark to get into a vehicle, either in the park or right outside the park, without any type of struggle that drew attention to him,” said McHale, who describes the case as dumbfounding because many residents of the Del Haven neighborhood were outdoors to watch firefighters take on the marsh fire.

According to McHale, the strongest lead in 25 years pointed police to Pennsylvania resident Thomas Butcavage, who’s currently serving a lengthy prison sentence for child molestation. He’s considered a “person of interest” and has not been charged.

To boost the reward money in the case and hopefully coax the right information out of someone, McHale launched a page with a goal of $50,000.

McHale and the extended Himebaugh family are hosting a candlelight vigil Friday evening at the park where Mark was last seen.

http://nj1015.com/25-years-later-cape-may-county-missing-child-case-still-a-mystery/

Has anyone else listened to the podcast about Mark? http://www.thevanishedpodcast.com/episodes/2016/4/28/episode-17-mark-himebaugh

I find it weird that police won't release the who/what/where of Mark being spotted with the guy with the pony tail. I don't expect them to say the name of the witness but at least where and what time they were spotted. And what were they doing? Just walking? Were they in the park near the unknown little girl?

This is one of the frustrating cases that has sat for so long and I feel like they need to either offer a plea deal to Butcavage to get him to talk, or release more info to the public to generate more leads.

I tried to contact Butcavage twice in prison. He actually blocked me on the new PA prison email system. I wrote him a letter using Jpay a year or two ago and asked about Mark. He didn't respond. This time he flat out blocked me. I couldn't even write a letter. I don't know if that implies guilt or annoyance. If I use regular mail is that harassment?

The mother of Mark Himebaugh, an 11 year old who has been missing for 25 years, will be the keynote speakers that the Missing In New Jersey event on May 20.

Maureen Himebaugh will be speaking to New Jersey families who are coping with the disappearance of a loved one.

The event, hosted by the State Police Missing Persons Unit, is from 1 p.m., to 5 p.m. at Rutgers University and is open to the public.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_04979def-94c1-585c-8b3a-a6b4e41e0a1e.html

@@screenshot.gif

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/mark-himebaugh

I agree, it might not be "Marie" at all. The man does have an accent so it could be "Morrie" or something else. Also, it kinda seems like the name could be "Gilbert, Patrick M"...as in last name comma first. I'm sure LE has already thought of all these variations but that was the first thing that popped into my head. Gilbert Patrick would be a very unusual first and middle name combo. Gilbert sounds more like a last name
Sheesh! It isn't hard to figure out he is saying, "Gilbert Patrick Murray" (he pronounced it mur-RAY instead of Mur-ree) If LE cannot figure that much out then it is no wonder this child's disappearance has not been solved. smh Should someone bother to call and tell them?

Being from a Phila suburb, I know first hand that people in that part of Philly have strange accents. Ive heard the original tape of that call a number of times too. I think the caller is butchering the name 'Mowery' or 'Mowry' which is a common name. He is definitely not saying 'Marie'.

Here is the only place you can get it now Can Tip Call Solve Decades-Old Missing Boy Case?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back