NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Paul Caneiro is accused of killing his brother and his family and setting their home on fire to hide it - CNN

Snip

Family of four was killed before sunrise
Sometime between midnight and 5 a.m., authorities said, Paul Caneiro was walking around his brother's $1.5 million Colts Neck home armed with a knife and a gun.
The brothers had been in front of the white mansion when a deadly confrontation unfolded. Paul fired multiple shots, striking Keith, officials say.

It's unclear if they exchanged words or had a fight, but the sound of the gunshots apparently went unnoticed in this upscale town of about 10,000 people around 50 miles south of New York.

Paul then walked inside the home and found Keith's wife, Jennifer. He shot and stabbed her and also stabbed their children, Jesse, 11, and Sophia, 8, Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni said.

He then took some documents and set a fire in the basement, officials said.

Rest in peace, caneiro family. for what it's worth i drove by their house two weeks ago.

i'm new jersey, born and bred. i know the mob. as a matter of fact one of my dear friends is serving a 10 year sentence for RICO.

that said, i don't know PC. and no, the italian mafia does not in any way target kids. the russian/eastern european mafia does. and this crime reeks of it.

the caneiro family was as the prosecutor says was a target. PC did not kill this family and if his fingerprints are found, my gut says they were planted. he did not commit this crime.

i'll post more tomorrow when my asbury park press subscription is valid (eye roll)...

@Lilibet, i understand your position. occam's razor and all.

but there's no evidence. at all. chase merritt is a pawn and i truly believe paul caneiro is as well. they are too afraid to name the hand that feeds them. they're dead no matter what. they'd rather be in jail than name their "supplier", "perpetrator", "et cetera"...

call it mob, call it organized crime, call it elf. doesn't matter. they're DOA no matter what they say or do.

which is why i feel so strongly about both cases. they'll never go to trial. M. O. B...

Rest in peace, caneiro family. for what it's worth i drove by their house two weeks ago.

i'm new jersey, born and bred. i know the mob. as a matter of fact one of my dear friends is serving a 10 year sentence for RICO.

that said, i don't know PC. and no, the italian mafia does not in any way target kids. the russian/eastern european mafia does. and this crime reeks of it.

the caneiro family was as the prosecutor says was a target. PC did not kill this family and if his fingerprints are found, my gut says they were planted. he did not commit this crime.

i'll post more tomorrow when my asbury park press subscription is valid (eye roll)...

@Lilibet, i understand your position. occam's razor and all.

but there's no evidence. at all. chase merritt is a pawn and i truly believe paul caneiro is as well. they are too afraid to name the hand that feeds them. they're dead no matter what. they'd rather be in jail than name their "supplier", "perpetrator", "et cetera"...

call it mob, call it organized crime, call it elf. doesn't matter. they're DOA no matter what they say or do.

which is why i feel so strongly about both cases. they'll never go to trial. M. O. B...

Thanks for answering and giving your perspective, @white rabbit. The McStay case has been a confusing mess from the beginning and I’ve never been able to get a real handle on what I think. Too many strange characters, including the adult victims. Lots of waffling on my part!

This case seems more straightforward, but it will be interesting if it turns out there is a connection to a mob of any kind. Keep posting. :)

I am not 100% convinced PC committed this crime. He had to know that he would be one of the first, if not the very first person, LE would suspect. Secondly, he was seen the day before and days prior and no one noticed anything unusual about him.

I have lived in a mob town in North Jersey and know how they operate. This was not the Italian Mafia at work. Maybe it was another Mob, IDK, but this is not at all how the IM operates. Maybe PC is guilty. Again, IDK. But I am not totally convinced that he is.

I am inclined to agree with a poster on another site. "Five Fast Facts", who posted his theory/opinion using the alias Michael Hayden, strangely enough, the name of the former (now retired) CIA and NSA director. I doubt it was actually MH himself who posted the comment on 11.24.18 I reference on "Keith Caneiro: Five Fast Facts You Need To Know" and that is the theory I think is more likely than "PC murdered his brother, SIL, and two children and set both homes on fire." Although, maybe he snapped and is guilty.

Before you scroll down on "Five Fast Facts" and read Mike Hayden's post, read the first few paragraphs describing KC's background "Served as trusted advisor......". It sort of fits the theory the person posting as poster Mike Hayden asserts.

BTW, PC had just attended Jesse's 11th birthday party the week before he was murdered. I don't personally know the family. From what I have heard he loved the children like his own. If he is guilty then maybe it was drugs and he snapped. I just have a hard time believing it was him who committed this horrific crime.

And why was there no GPS detailing his whereabouts and placing him at the crime scene? His car had to have a GPS. I get that for other reasons PC looks guilty as hell and will likely be convicted. But IMO, there just seems to be more accusation than actual hard proof. IMHO.

The father of the Caneiro brothers came to the USA from Spain. The surname originates in Portugal and Spain. Of course, anyone could get mixed up with any mob, but they are not Italian. What good would it do any mob to murder these people when they have accumulated property? A mob cannot get a penny now.

The father of the Caneiro brothers came to the USA from Spain. The surname originates in Portugal and Spain. Of course, anyone could get mixed up with any mob, but they are not Italian. What good would it do any mob to murder these people when they have accumulated property? A mob cannot get a penny now.

Omg Thank you!!! I have been holding back posting this but it is so infuriating that in this day and age any name ending in a vowel is Italian and thereby mob related. As an Italian myself, it is really disturbing. That said, anyone can be involved with the mob, but it seemed here it was an unabashed reaction to the name. Let’s be better than that.

Unfortunately, I have my own connection to the Italian mafia through an idiot relative that ended up serving time and destroying his life because he wanted to be “cool”. Ugh. Don’t get me started.

I do find this to be one case where there may be more involved than just a FA. I am very interested to hear more from White Rabbit and thank you again, SandyQLS.

I am not 100% convinced PC committed this crime. He had to know that he would be one of the first, if not the very first person, LE would suspect. Secondly, he was seen the day before and days prior and no one noticed anything unusual about him.

I have lived in a mob town in North Jersey and know how they operate. This was not the Italian Mafia at work. Maybe it was another Mob, IDK, but this is not at all how the IM operates. Maybe PC is guilty. Again, IDK. But I am not totally convinced that he is.

I am inclined to agree with a poster on another site. "Five Fast Facts", who posted his theory/opinion using the alias Michael Hayden, strangely enough, the name of the former (now retired) CIA and NSA director. I doubt it was actually MH himself who posted the comment on 11.24.18 I reference on "Keith Caneiro: Five Fast Facts You Need To Know" and that is the theory I think is more likely than "PC murdered his brother, SIL, and two children and set both homes on fire." Although, maybe he snapped and is guilty.

Before you scroll down on "Five Fast Facts" and read Mike Hayden's post, read the first few paragraphs describing KC's background "Served as trusted advisor......". It sort of fits the theory the person posting as poster Mike Hayden asserts.

BTW, PC had just attended Jesse's 11th birthday party the week before he was murdered. I don't personally know the family. From what I have heard he loved the children like his own. If he is guilty then maybe it was drugs and he snapped. I just have a hard time believing it was him who committed this horrific crime.

And why was there no GPS detailing his whereabouts and placing him at the crime scene? His car had to have a GPS. I get that for other reasons PC looks guilty as hell and will likely be convicted. But IMO, there just seems to be more accusation than actual hard proof. IMHO.

Respectfully regarding the GPS, I would be shocked if the Monmouth County Prosecutor released any vital evidence before the have to. They will keep their evidence to themselves in order to protect the integrity of this case. given the length of time between the crime and the murder charges against PC, you can be sure they have gathered more than enough to prove their case. Also adding the fact that the Prosecutor stated it may be a death penalty case, he has what he needs to convict. MOO

Respectfully regarding the GPS, I would be shocked if the Monmouth County Prosecutor released any vital evidence before the have to. They will keep their evidence to themselves in order to protect the integrity of this case. given the length of time between the crime and the murder charges against PC, you can be sure they have gathered more than enough to prove their case. Also adding the fact that the Prosecutor stated it may be a death penalty case, he has what he needs to convict. MOO

NJ abolished the death penalty... the prosecutor said IF they had the death penalty he would have pursued capital punishment.

What are the chances of the county prosecutor being swayed by one of the mobs? Does PC have a fair chance in a trial? Have No idea how the mob works other than television or movies.

Citing potential harm to the investigation, a judge sealed records in the case against Paul J. Caneiro and the Colts Neck family murder investigation until Feb. 21, or the day the grand jury proceedings are completed.

Superior Court Assignment Judge Lisa P. Thornton, sitting in Freehold, sealed the affidavit of probable cause in the complaint against Caneiro, who is charged in the quadruple homicide of his brother Keith, his sister-in-law Jennifer, and their two children, Jesse, 11, and Sophia, 8.

The document lays out authorities' justification to charge Caneiro with the pre-dawn Nov. 20 killings in Colts Neck, and includes descriptions of evidence in the case.

"Because the parties established good cause that disclosure, at this juncture, would harm the investigation and prosecution of defendant and threaten the integrity of the proceedings and defendant's right to a fair trial, the motion is granted in part," Thornton wrote in the order to seal.

The records will remain sealed until Feb. 21, or the date that grand jury proceedings are complete, whichever is sooner, Thornton said.

Colts Neck murders: What's in document sealed by judge?

Last edited:
Order to Seal (Sorry this should have been above)

In the order to seal, Thornton notes that the affidavit of probable cause includes 16 paragraphs "that include an incredible amount of detail regarding the state's investigation," including witnesses and details of a "great amount of evidence, where it was located and how it was secured."

Both defense attorneys and prosecutors involved in the case sought to have the records sealed.

Caneiro's defense attorney, Mitchell Ansell, of the firm Ansell, Grimm and Aaron, argued in a hearing about sealing the affidavit on Saturday that release of the probable cause affidavit "could influence public opinion" against Caneiro. In addition, Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Decker, who is lead prosecutor on the case, argued that the release of the affidavit and witness names could interfere with the investigation.

Last edited:
A hearing to seal the documents occurred Saturday. Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Decker, defense attorneys Mitchell Ansell and Robert Honecker Jr. and Thornton attended the court session.

Thornton's order notes that the defense attorneys argued that releasing the affidavit "could influence public opinion against (Paul Caneiro)" and taint his ability to receive a fair trial.

Decker argued that the document contains names of witnesses and that releasing the names "could lead to harassment of witnesses or interference with the investigation."

According to the order, The Wall Street Journal requested and may have received a copy of the record from Colts Neck Municipal Court before it was sealed, and The Asbury Park Press was invited to represent itself at the hearing but did not send an attorney.

A report unfavorable to the accused Colts Neck killer exists. The public will have to wait to see it

A hearing to seal the documents occurred Saturday. Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Decker, defense attorneys Mitchell Ansell and Robert Honecker Jr. and Thornton attended the court session.

Thornton's order notes that the defense attorneys argued that releasing the affidavit "could influence public opinion against (Paul Caneiro)" and taint his ability to receive a fair trial.

Decker argued that the document contains names of witnesses and that releasing the names "could lead to harassment of witnesses or interference with the investigation."

According to the order, The Wall Street Journal requested and may have received a copy of the record from Colts Neck Municipal Court before it was sealed, and The Asbury Park Press was invited to represent itself at the hearing but did not send an attorney.

A report unfavorable to the accused Colts Neck killer exists. The public will have to wait to see it

“Harassment of Witnesses” by whom? The mob? Or just the general public on FB?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmaJean
Back