NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if there will be tweeters for this trial and or live stream??

Anyone know?

TIA! :)
These accounts have tweeted about Sarah’s case in the last 24 hours:
1. @OglesbyAPP (reporter)

2. @KHopkinsapp (reporter)

3. @AsburyParkPress

4. @ManasquanPatch

5. @VeronaCedrPatch

6. @TomsRiverPatch

Here are a few accounts that have tweeted about the case in the past:
1. @MonCoProsecutor (official Twitter page of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office)

2. @GeeksterTweets (reporter)

3. @News12NJ

4. @njdotcom

5. @CBSNewYork

I will keep an eye out for other sources and live feeds.

WOW! That's a good collection!

Let's see - I'm 7 hours ahead of Eastern time - and I have no time on "when" it starts this morning. Probably about 8:30 or 9am? So it will be 3:30 or 4pm here. I should be home by then!

Maybe we can split some tweeters, so we aren't posting the same thing over & over! :)

Are you planning on posting tweets @inmyhumbleopinion ?? I can do 1 at least. Which ever person is posting more tweets then others.

But then again, it's only a Final pretrial hearing this morning.
Here's what I have.

Monday, January 7th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing & then Jury Selection (@ ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
9/17/18 Update: McAtasney turned down a plea deal calling for a life sentence without the possibility of parole. Going to go to trial & if convicted would receive life in prison plus 15 years for other charges.
A final pretrial conference in the case is scheduled for Monday, 1/7, and attorneys are expected to begin selecting jurors Tuesday (1/8). The trial, including the jury-selection process, is expected to last up to 6 weeks.
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19 @ time of crime) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Expected to testify at LMc's trial.

Jurors are expected to be selected this week in McAtasney's trial. Prosecutors have said they believe Liam McAtasney, with Preston Taylor's help, threw Stern's body into the Shark River off the Route 35 bridge in Belmar more two years ago.

Taylor has pleaded guilty to seven charges, including robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery, for his part in Stern's murder. Taylor also agreed to testify against McAtasney.

Accused Killer's Chilling Words As Sarah Stern Case Goes To Trial

Maybe we can split some tweeters, so we aren't posting the same thing over & over! :)

Are you planning on posting tweets @inmyhumbleopinion ?? I can do 1 at least. Which ever person is posting more tweets then others.

But then again, it's only a Final pretrial hearing this morning.
Here's what I have.
RSBM for focus

Great idea, @Niner! I will turn on notifications for the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, all of the reporters and Asbury Park Press. I can monitor other accounts throughout the pre-trial hearing and jury selection as well.

By the end of jury selection, we will have a better idea of which accounts to follow, IMO, so perhaps we can revisit this at that point.

What do you think :)?

Last edited:
Sounds good to me inmyhumbleopionion!!

Let me know which one you want me to do - I could maybe handle 2, but there is another trial I'm going to be watching this week also! Just too many cases I'm following! :)

Thank you for posting this yesterday .I tried to respond but goofed it up. Just seeing the court date kinda brought everything back to when they first found Sarah's car. Just so painful to all who her. Seems unreal still .
RSBM for focus

Great idea, @Niner! I will turn on notifications for the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, all of the reporters and Asbury Park Press. I can monitor other accounts throughout the pre-trial hearing and jury selection as well.

By the end of jury selection, we will have a better idea of which accounts to follow, IMO, so perhaps we can revisit this at that point.

What do you think :)?

Thank you so much for doing this! I'm from Neptune City NJ, and my family knew Sarah well. Now, I'm in VA, and following this closely is imperative to me. Incredibly thoughtful of you!

Jurors are expected to be selected this week in McAtasney's trial. Prosecutors have said they believe Liam McAtasney, with Preston Taylor's help, threw Stern's body into the Shark River off the Route 35 bridge in Belmar more two years ago.

Taylor has pleaded guilty to seven charges, including robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery, for his part in Stern's murder. Taylor also agreed to testify against McAtasney.

Accused Killer's Chilling Words As Sarah Stern Case Goes To Trial

To review this video makes my blood boil! Imagine knowing all these kids since kindergarten, with the exception of PT! My kids attended school with SS and LM. I will never forget the night her car was found, approx blocks from where we lived. LM spread the lie of a potential suicide, and when my daughter mentioned that people were taking about Sarah maybe killing herself. I said Not that Kid!!

So is the jury picked yet? :)
Posted 20 minutes ago:

“The Prosecutor’s Office has 2 major trials beginning this week with jury selection on both cases starting on Tuesday, January 8, 2019:

One is the murder case of Sarah Stern. Liam McAtasney of Neptune City, is facing first degree Murder, among other charges, in the death of Sarah Stern, who was missing since December 2, 2016. An investigation was launched after Stern’s automobile, a 1994 silver, four-door Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight, was found abandoned on the shoulder of the southbound lane of the Route 35 Bridge in Belmar. If found guilty, McAtasney faces life in prison plus an additional 15 years. AP's Christopher Decker and Meghan Doyle will handle prosecution for the state.

Two Neptune City Men Charged with Murder of Missing Teen Sarah Stern

[SBM]

Stay tuned for updates on all trials as they progress.” (BBM)
https://www.facebook.com/481972738552263/posts/2057891734293681/

Thank you for the articles, but none of them say "what" happened yesterday?? Nothing?
So we have jury selection today? From what I'm understanding.... or not! LOL!

Tuesday, January 8th:
*Jury Selection continues (@ ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
9/17/18 Update: McAtasney turned down a plea deal calling for a life sentence without the possibility of parole. Going to go to trial & if convicted would receive life in prison plus 15 years for other charges. A final pretrial conference in the case is scheduled for Monday, 1/7, and attorneys are expected to begin selecting jurors Tuesday (1/8). The trial, including the jury-selection process, is expected to last up to 6 weeks.
1/7/19 Update: Jury selection continues to 1/8?
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Expected to testify at LMc's trial.

Thank you for the articles, but none of them say "what" happened yesterday?? Nothing?
So we have jury selection today? From what I'm understanding.... or not! LOL!

In the video at the link, the reporter says she spoke with one of the prosecuting attorneys, Chris Decker, a short while ago.

According to the reporter, Mr. Decker confirmed that final pre-trial conference was held yesterday behind closed doors between lawyers and the judge to make sure all sides were ready to proceed. She also reports that jury selection will start today as scheduled.

Pre-trial conference held in murder case of suspect accused of killing Sarah Stern | fios1 news

He lost his wife to cancer, lost his only child to a vicious murder. My heart bleeds for him. I so wished that Sarah's body would have been found.
I know that the chances are very slim, but I still cling to the hope that her body will somehow be found one day.

Early on, I considered the possibility of her remains being discarded somewhere other than the Shark River, but given McAtasney‘s question to LE, “If she did jump off the bridge, what are the odds that she's not somewhere all the way out in the ocean by now?” and as attested by Taylor, that must be the location.

I hope he is convinced of all charges and spends the rest of his life in prison, not only for the sake of Sarah’s family, but for the protection of the public. He is a particularly dangerous individual, IMO.

Asbury Park Press:

“Prospective jurors will be asked if the absence of a body would affect their ability to render an impartial verdict in the Sarah Stern murder case.”
1:15 PM; 1/8/19

Link to Tweet:
Asbury Park Press on Twitter

Direct link to the article:
Sarah Stern murder: With body missing, can jurors be fair?
From the article:

“FREEHOLD - Prospective jurors will be asked if the absence of a body would affect their ability to render an impartial verdict in the Sarah Stern murder case.

That was one of the questions discussed in court this morning as jury selection for the trial of Liam McAtasney was about to get underway.

[SBM]

McAtasney's attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, said the absence of a body has the ability to create reasonable doubt about the state's proofs in the minds of jurors. He objected to the question being asked of potential jurors.

‘To ask this question at the outset signals to the jury that it's okay to find somebody guilty, despite the absence of a body,’ Diaz-Cobo said.

After Diaz-Cobo and prosecutors wrangled about the language of the question to be posed to jurors, [Judge Richard W.] English ruled that it would, indeed, be asked. He boiled it down to this: ‘Would the fact that a body was not found affect your ability to return a fair and impartial verdict in this case? Why or why not?'’

Other questions potential jurors will be asked are, what famous person they would like to have dinner with, and, if they watch true-crime television shows, whether they think investigations in real life are handled the way they are on the shows.

[SBM]

Jury selection is anticipated to take two weeks. English said he expects the next few days will be spent weeding out potential jurors who cannot sit for a lengthy trial.

In a victory for the defense, English ruled that the lead detective on the case, Brian Weisbrot of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, will not be allowed to sit at the prosecution table for the duration of the trial. Meghan Doyle, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, argued in favor of having Weisbrot at the table with her and Assistant Prosecutor Christopher Decker because of the complexity of the case.

English rejected Doyle's argument. He said the McAtasney case is nowhere near as complicated as the ‘Operation Dead End'’ gang trial held in Monmouth County in 2017, during which the lead detective was allowed to sit at the counsel table with prosecutors.

[SBM]

Siding with Diaz-Cobo, English said if Weisbrot were to sit at the counsel table with two attorneys during the trial, that could unfairly validate his testimony in the minds of jurors. The judge ordered that Weisbrot and all other potential witnesses with the exception of Stern's father and McAtasney's mother not be allowed to be in the courtroom for the trial when they are not testifying.

[SBM]” (BBM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member