NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trial begins for man accused of murdering 19-year-old girl then throwing body over bridge | Daily Mail Online

An accomplice described how his roommate killed their childhood friend in a half-hour strangling ordeal for her $100,000 inheritance in New Jersey.

Liam McAtasney, 21, is accused of killing Sarah Stern, from Neptune City then robbing her of around $8,000 in December 2016.

Prosecutors say Stern's former prom date, Preston Taylor, 21, helped dump her body off the 50-foot Route 35 bridge and into the Shark River below.

They left her car running up above to stage a suicide. She was last seen on December 2, 2016 and her body has never been recovered.

upload_2019-1-24_11-41-48.jpegupload_2019-1-24_11-40-49.jpegupload_2019-1-24_11-40-33.jpegupload_2019-1-24_11-40-22.jpegupload_2019-1-24_11-41-9.jpegupload_2019-1-24_11-41-20.jpeg

[...]

This is the worst I’ve read so far. Praying for Sarah’s dad tonight:

“He stuffed a scarf down her throat‘ - Trial begins for man accused of killing childhood friend”

“[SBM]

McAtasney’s friend and roommate Preston Taylor has pleaded guilty for his role in the murder. He admitted to helping McAtasney allegedly throw Stern’s body off the Route 35 Bridge into the river. He is considered to be the prosecution’s star witness.

‘You don't have to like him to believe him. You don't have to like him to think he's credible,’ Doyle told the jury.

[SBM]

Taylor also described how McAtasney allegedly killed Stern once he had her alone.

‘He went into detail about how he killed her. Said that he strangled her. That it took quite a while for her to actually stop breathing - about a half-hour. And in the process, she peed herself, she vomited. When she started throwing up he stuffed a scarf down her throat. She said his name a couple times,’ Taylor said.

Defense attorney Carlos Diaz Cobo says that McAtasney made up the entire story because he wanted to impress a friend who was an experienced horror movie maker.

Cobo is expected to cross-examine Taylor Thursday morning.

[SBM]”
‘He stuffed a scarf down her throat’ – Trial begins for man accused of killing childhood friend
Oh dear God.

I just saw a commercial that CBS Inside Edition will be running a story on the trial tonight at 7 PM in the NYC viewing area. (Not sure about outside of our local area as I don't know how they work their broadcasting)

“FREEHOLD - Preston Taylor, testifying against his former roommate for a second day, reiterated that Liam McAtasney told him Sarah Stern threw up and urinated while he strangled her for a half hour, but he said he didn't see any vomit or urine when he went to Stern's home to move the body for McAtasney.

Taylor, 21, of Neptune, made the revelation while being cross-examined by McAtasney's attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo.

[SBM]

Diaz-Cobo grilled Taylor today about his time in Stern's home before he moved her body outside.

[SBM]

‘Have you ever tried to hold your breath?'’ the defense attorney asked.

‘I have,’ Taylor responded.

When asked how long he could hold his breath for, Taylor said, ‘I couldn't hold it for more than a minute.'’”
Sarah Stern murder: Accomplice says no vomit found at crime scene

We don’t know how much time passed between LM leaving Sarah’s house after murdering her, getting back to his apartment and asking PT to find his phone and move Sarah’s body, and PT arriving at Sarah’s house.

If enough time had passed, urine could have easily dried, IMO. It is also entirely plausible, IMO, that there was no visible vomit because “(w)hen (Sarah) started throwing up (LM) stuffed a scarf down her throat.”

So far, the defense has not been particularly effective, IMO.

“A defense attorney for a man charged withstrangling Sarah Stern accused an admitted accomplice, who’s the state’s key witness, of being a liar Thursday during cross examination.

Carlos Diaz-Cobo, who represents Liam McAtasney, highlighted the fact that Preston Taylor was given a plea deal for his cooperation with authorities.

[SBM]

Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Decker pushed back, saying the deal would be taken back if Taylor gave false testimony.

Diaz-Cobo also offered information during his cross-examination about how Taylor lied to detectives about being sexually assaulted as a kid.

‘You made the false accusations during an interview on April 20, 2017, and then the following day you recanted that,’ he said. ‘All these details were false. They were all lies.’

Taylor responded, ‘that is correct.’

[SBM]”
Witness in Sarah Stern trial lied to cops about a sexual assault, defense attorney claims

First--thanks to all for posting updated court proceedings as I'm stuck at work and trying to read here on breaks.
I am appalled at the details and what this childhood "friend" did to her. I cannot imagine how her dad must feel, having to sit there listening to all of this. My heart breaks for him.
I'm glad PT is giving details though but concerned that he was caught lying to police about other things. Hopefully the jury will believe him and justice will be served.
I've been following this case since the very beginning so I am glad you all are sharing the info.

“FREEHOLD - Preston Taylor, testifying against his former roommate for a second day, reiterated that Liam McAtasney told him Sarah Stern threw up and urinated while he strangled her for a half hour, but he said he didn't see any vomit or urine when he went to

Stern's home to move the body for McAtasney.

“FREEHOLD - Preston Taylor,

testifying against his former roommate for a
second day, reiterated that Liam McAtasney told
him Sarah Stern threw up and urinated while he strangled her for a half hour, but he said he didn't see any vomit or urine when he went to Stern's home to move the body for McAtasney.

So, the reason PT says that LM chose strangulation was because it wouldn't be as messy, therefore leaving less DNA behind. So it stands to believe LM cleaned up any evidence, prior to leaving the house.

Taylor, 21, of Neptune, made the revelation while being cross-examined by McAtasney's attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo.

[SBM]

Diaz-Cobo grilled Taylor today about his time in Stern's home before he moved her body outside.

[SBM]

When asked how long he could hold his breath for, Taylor said, ‘I couldn't hold it for more than a minute.'’”

We don’t know how much time passed between LM leaving Sarah’s house after murdering her, getting back to his apartment and asking PT to find his phone and move Sarah’s body, and PT arriving at Sarah’s house.

If enough time had passed, urine could have easily dried, IMO. It is also entirely plausible, IMO, that there was no visible vomit because “(w)hen (Sarah) started throwing up (LM) stuffed a scarf down her throat.”

[SBM]

[SBM]

Sorry, my comment got posted to Inmyhumbleopinion above. The reason LM and PT chose strangulation was less DNA left behind. It would stand to reason that LM cleaned up any DNA left behind ,such as vomit or urine. I certainly don't believe he tracked his shoes, while dragging Sarah's body to the bathroom. As a mother of 2 kids, as well as a pet owner, urine has a very distinct smell. Ever visit a nursing home.

First--thanks to all for posting updated court proceedings as I'm stuck at work and trying to read here on breaks.
I am appalled at the details and what this childhood "friend" did to her. I cannot imagine how her dad must feel, having to sit there listening to all of this. My heart breaks for him.
I'm glad PT is giving details though but concerned that he was caught lying to police about other things. Hopefully the jury will believe him and justice will be served.
I've been following this case since the very beginning so I am glad you all are sharing the info.

Thanks to all sharing info. I'm no longer in Neptune City, I'm in VA. So thoughtful!

In trying to find out info about today's trial, I saw there were 2 employees, of Brennans, steak house,in Neptune City testifies. LM and his twin brother worked there. Does anyone know what was asked of them, and how they responded?

“Man on trial for killing of classmate driven to tears during testimony”

Posted: Jan 24, 2019 5:21 PM EST
Updated: Jan 24, 2019 5:21 PM EST

“FREEHOLD - A man on trial for the murder of a former high school classmate and childhood friend appeared to be driven to tears during testimony.

[SBM]

McAtasney’s former coworker, a waitress at Brennan's Steakhouse in Neptune City, testified that McAtasney left work for a time on the night that Stern was last seen in December 2016. The defendant appeared to be wiping away tears during the testimony.

[SBM]

McAtasney’s defense attorney Carlos Diaz-Cobo spent less than an hour cross-examining Taylor, and attempted to paint a picture of Taylor as a liar and someone that jurors should not believe.

‘And you testified yesterday that the cooperation agreement [with prosecutors] called for truthfulness right? But you don't always tell the truth?’ Cobo asked.

‘I haven’t in the past,’ Taylor replied.

[SBM]

Family and friends of Stern testified that, although her relationship with her father may have been strained at times, and she said she wanted to move to Canada, she made no indications she wanted to kill herself.

[SBM]”
In the video at the link, starting around 1’40”, as a waitress at the steakhouse where LM worked testifies, he appears to be wiping tears off his face.

Man on trial for killing of classmate driven to tears during testimony

In trying to find out info about today's trial, I saw there were 2 employees, of Brennans, steak house,in Neptune City testifies. LM and his twin brother worked there. Does anyone know what was asked of them, and how they responded?
Testimony of McAtasney co-worker at Brennan's Steakhouse in Neptune City, leaves Liam in tears
BRIAN JOHNSTON AND THOMAS P. COSTELLO
8:42 p.m. EST Jan. 24, 2019
Sarah Stern murder: Co-worker testimony leaves Liam McAtasney in tears

“Man on trial for killing of classmate driven to tears during testimony”

Posted: Jan 24, 2019 5:21 PM EST
Updated: Jan 24, 2019 5:21 PM EST

“FREEHOLD - A man on trial for the murder of a former high school classmate and childhood friend appeared to be driven to tears during testimony.

Gee, tears for himself .Yeah he left work, killed Sarah, returned to work, and continued waiting on tables. Poor LM . Spoken in my NJ native tongue ,sarcasm .
[SBM]

McAtasney’s former coworker, a waitress at Brennan's Steakhouse in Neptune City, testified that McAtasney left work for a time on the night that Stern was last seen in December 2016. The defendant appeared to be wiping away tears during the testimony.

[SBM]

McAtasney’s defense attorney Carlos Diaz-Cobo spent less than an hour cross-examining Taylor, and attempted to paint a picture of Taylor as a liar and someone that jurors should not believe.

‘And you testified yesterday that the cooperation agreement [with prosecutors] called for truthfulness right? But you don't always tell the truth?’ Cobo asked.

‘I haven’t in the past,’ Taylor replied.

[SBM]

Family and friends of Stern testified that, although her relationship with her father may have been strained at times, and she said she wanted to move to Canada, she made no indications she wanted to kill herself.

[SBM]”
In the video at the link, starting around 1’40”, as a waitress at the steakhouse where LM worked testifies, he appears to be wiping tears off his face.

Man on trial for killing of classmate driven to tears during testimony

“Sarah Stern murder: Victim told friend she was moving to Canada with accused killer”
KATHLEEN HOPKINS | ASBURY PARK PRESS | 8 minutes ago

“FREEHOLD - Sarah Stern told a lifelong friend on the day she went missing that she was going to move to Canada with Liam McAtasney, the childhood friend now on trial for her murder, according to testimony on Thursday.

But Stern on past occasions said she was going to move to different places, Florida, Canada or California, and never did, Carly Draper told the jury weighing McAtasney's fate.

So, Draper said she didn't believe Stern this time.

[SBM]

Stern came to Draper's house on Ridge Terrace in Neptune City with McAtasney during the day on Dec. 2, 2016 to drop off a cardboard box and a bin of items she was cleaning out of her own house, Draper said.

‘She told me she was moving to Liam's apartment in Canada,'’ Draper said.

‘Who actually said that?’ asked Christopher Decker, an assistant Monmouth County prosecutor.

‘Sarah,’ the witness replied.

Stern that day told Draper about money she found in a second house that her family owned.

‘She said that she found $20,000 in a safe in a house that they had in Avon,’ Draper testified.

Stern also shared her thoughts about her father that day, the childhood friend said.

‘She said, 'I lost all respect for my father,’ Draper said, adding that McAtasney chimed in, ‘Well, who hasn't?'

[SBM]

McAtasney's former roommate, Preston Taylor, testified Wednesday that McAtasney convinced Stern to take the money out of a safe-deposit box at the bank so that they could take a trip or move to either Canada or California.

[SBM]

‘She seemed very happy and excited because she thought she was going to Canada,’ Draper said.

[SBM]

Stern's aunt told the jury she saw her niece that same day, but Stern never mentioned to her that she was moving or that it would be the last time she would ever see her.

[SBM]

McAtasney, usually stoic, dabbed at tears while listening to the testimony of Laura Carmody, a waitress and former co-worker of his at Brennan's Steakhouse in Neptune City. Carmody described McAtasney as an ‘excellent’ employee.

[SBM]

Carmody's testimony apparently was offered by prosecutors to corroborate Taylor's story that McAtasney had lost his phone the day he said he killed Stern, and that he had come home several times that day to look for it.

Carmody said McAtasney came in that day, ready to start his shift, and then realized he didn't have his phone, so he went to his car to look for it.

‘He had said he was helping a friend move furniture in the afternoon, and that's when he might have lost it,’ Carmody testified.

She said McAtasney was scheduled to work the following day, but never returned to work after closing up the restaurant that night.

Taylor testified Wednesday that McAtasney told him he planned to quit his job after pulling off the robbery.

[SBM]”
Sarah Stern murder: Victim told friend she was moving to Canada with accused killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx