NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“[SBM]

[Liam] McAtasney says in the video, ‘It took me a half-hour to kill her. I thought I would be able to choke her out and have her out in like a couple of minutes. I choked her out and then she was just lying there having a seizure or something…so then I had a shirt and I just shoved it down her throat so she wouldn’t throw up or anything and had my finger over her nose.’

[SBM]

During cross-examination, McAtasney’s defense attorney tried to discredit Curry, saying that Curry was trying to raise his profile as a filmmaker. The attorney implied that the story McAtasney told was a horror movie plot. The prosecution says that this is not the case.

Curry’s father Edward Curry also took the stand Thursday to corroborate his son’s story. He testified that Anthony Curry came to him after Stern went missing and that the two of them decided to go to the police to report it.

The trial is expected to resume Tuesday.”
‘It took me a half-hour to kill her' - Secret recording played at Sarah Stern trial

Way too many details to be a made-up story, IMO.

Last edited:
“[SBM]

[Anthony] Curry said Thursday that he agreed to work with investigators and testify in the trial because he’s ‘doing the right thing.’

In January 2017, Curry provided investigators with social media messages and other correspondence with McAtasney.

Once Stern disappeared, the correspondence moved exclusively to Snapchat, a social media phone app that allows people to send messages that disappear in seconds. Curry videotaped the contents of those messages to share with detectives, he said.

[SBM]

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, said earlier in the trial that his client made up the entire story because he was trying to impress Curry.

‘The statement to Anthony Curry is not a confession,’ Diaz-Cobo said. ‘It’s an elaborate lie, it’s an audition. It’s a script. It’s not true. ... A young, immature boy decided he was going to use this unfortunate disappearance and make up this story.’

During cross-examination, defense attorney Carlos Diaz-Cobo asked Curry if McAtasney had given him movie ideas in the past.

‘We talked about movies all the time,’ Curry said. ‘I never filmed any of them.’

‘So it wasn’t uncommon for Liam to bring you ideas for movies, correct?’ Diaz-Cobo questioned.

‘Yes,’ Curry responded.

Curry also acknowledged during cross-examination that McAtasney had made things up to him in the past.

[SBM]”
Watch the chilling hidden video of alleged killer confessing to strangling Sarah Stern

“FREEHOLD - Liam McAtasney plotted long and hard how to bring about the demise of childhood friend Sarah Stern and get away with it.

He spent a lot of time with the 19-year-old Neptune City woman before her death to make it look like they were better friends than they actually were, to deflect suspicion from him once she went missing.

He observed her pulling her car out of her driveway so that when the time came, he could drive just like her while transporting her dead body in the passenger seat of her car to the Route 35 bridge to dispose of it.

[SBM]

[Anthony] Curry, 21, of Brooklyn, secretly recorded the conversation at the behest of police while the two sat in Curry's car on Second Avenue in Bradley Beach.

[SBM]

The victim's father, Michael Stern, hung his head and silently wept while the video was being shown on a large-screen television in the courtroom. It was the first time the recording was made public, and Michael Stern said he hadn't seen it before.

[SBM]

In a recorded phone call played for the jury, Curry set up the meeting with McAtasney on the guise that he wanted to borrow money from him to buy a camera, telling McAtasney he had ruined his camera when he dropped it in a bucket of blood on a movie set.

Curry asked to borrow $2,000. McAtasney turned him down.

‘I only have seven, and that was months ago,’ McAtasney told him.

‘I have like 5Gs left,’ he said.

He added, ‘My cash is low quality. they won't take it.’

After declining to lend the money to Curry, McAtasney told him, ‘We need to talk about that,’ and they arranged to meet in Bradley Beach.

With Curry recording the meeting, McAtasney got into the passenger seat of Curry's car, and Curry asked him, ‘What's up?’

McAtasney responded, ‘Hiding from the cops.’

He said the police had been questioning him, and now the FBI was in on the case.

‘What about?’ Curry asked him.

‘Killing Sarah,’ McAtasney responded.

[SBM]

McAtasney told Curry he was the only person other than Taylor who knew what happened to Stern, but that he wouldn't let Taylor know that.

‘I don't want Preston to think he has to kill you and take you out because you're the only person who knows,’ McAtasney told Curry.

[SBM]

[McAtasney's attorney, Carlos] Diaz-Cobo questioned Curry at the conclusion of the video.

‘You have a slogan. Was it, 'Kill it all and film it?'’ Diaz-Cobo asked the witness.

‘Not those exact words, but yes,’ Curry responded. ‘It's all fiction, yes.’

Curry conceded that McAtasney sometimes made things up and would give him ideas for movies, but he added, ‘I never filmed any of them.’

Meghan Doyle, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, asked Curry, ‘Do you think he was telling you a movie plot at any point in the car?’

Curry responded, ‘No.’” (BBM)
Sarah Stern murder secret video: 'It took me a half hour to kill her'

I had no idea that Sarah’s dad hadn’t seen the video prior to today. I had assumed that the prosecution had shown it to him to prepare him for what was to come.

The assistant prosecutor, Ms. Doyle, is such a bada__. And I love her accent!

EDBB9033-3180-4286-AC0C-FD1091B3E3D2.jpeg B5A22E7B-948A-4840-81D4-D43813529C34.jpeg 6B52F7E3-1A6E-4351-80C8-E3FA0CC169BF.jpeg 02143D0F-7C8E-42C2-A34C-5BA69D78DE42.jpeg 5A111D84-E768-4683-B5D8-80E9A2D13FD6.jpeg

Last edited:
“FREEHOLD - Liam McAtasney plotted long and hard how to bring about the demise of childhood friend Sarah Stern and get away with it.

He spent a lot of time with the 19-year-old Neptune City woman before her death to make it look like they were better friends than they actually were, to deflect suspicion from him once she went missing.

He observed her pulling her car out of her driveway so that when the time came, he could drive just like her while transporting her dead body in the passenger seat of her car to the Route 35 bridge to dispose of it.

[SBM]

[Anthony] Curry, 21, of Brooklyn, secretly recorded the conversation at the behest of police while the two sat in Curry's car on Second Avenue in Bradley Beach.

[SBM]

The victim's father, Michael Stern, hung his head and silently wept while the video was being shown on a large-screen television in the courtroom. It was the first time the recording was made public, and Michael Stern said he hadn't seen it before.

[SBM]

In a recorded phone call played for the jury, Curry set up the meeting with McAtasney on the guise that he wanted to borrow money from him to buy a camera, telling McAtasney he had ruined his camera when he dropped it in a bucket of blood on a movie set.

Curry asked to borrow $2,000. McAtasney turned him down.

‘I only have seven, and that was months ago,’ McAtasney told him.

‘I have like 5Gs left,’ he said.

He added, ‘My cash is low quality. they won't take it.’

After declining to lend the money to Curry, McAtasney told him, ‘We need to talk about that,’ and they arranged to meet in Bradley Beach.

With Curry recording the meeting, McAtasney got into the passenger seat of Curry's car, and Curry asked him, ‘What's up?’

McAtasney responded, ‘Hiding from the cops.’

He said the police had been questioning him, and now the FBI was in on the case.

‘What about?’ Curry asked him.

‘Killing Sarah,’ McAtasney responded.

[SBM]

McAtasney told Curry he was the only person other than Taylor who knew what happened to Stern, but that he wouldn't let Taylor know that.

‘I don't want Preston to think he has to kill you and take you out because you're the only person who knows,’ McAtasney told Curry.

[SBM]

[McAtasney's attorney, Carlos] Diaz-Cobo questioned Curry at the conclusion of the video.

‘You have a slogan. Was it, 'Kill it all and film it?'’ Diaz-Cobo asked the witness.

‘Not those exact words, but yes,’ Curry responded. ‘It's all fiction, yes.’

Curry conceded that McAtasney sometimes made things up and would give him ideas for movies, but he added, ‘I never filmed any of them.’

Meghan Doyle, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, asked Curry, ‘Do you think he was telling you a movie plot at any point in the car?’

Curry responded, ‘No.’” (BBM)
Sarah Stern murder secret video: 'It took me a half hour to kill her'

I had no idea that Sarah’s dad had never seen the video until today. I had assumed that the prosecution had shown it to him to prepare him for what was to come.

The assistant prosecutor, Ms. Doyle, is such a bada__. And I love her accent!

View attachment 168017 View attachment 168018 View attachment 168019 View attachment 168020 View attachment 168021
F---king A.

Updates in red:

Thursday, February 7th:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) charged (2/1/17) & indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
Trial started 1/23/19; should last 4 to 6 weeks & will only be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays.
1/23/19 Day 1: Opening Statements. State witness: Preston Taylor (accomplice).
1/24/19 Day 2: State witnesses: Preston Taylor. Carly Draper (Sarah's friend). Shirley Longo (Sarah's aunt). Michelle Bahr (Sarah's cousin). Kearny Bank Branch Manager Raymond Bloetjes & teller Lynda Capobianco. A detective with the financial crimes unit of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. Laura Carmody, a waitress & former co-worker of Liam at Brennan's Steakhouse. Trial continues on Tuesday, 1/29.
1/29/19 Day 3: State witnesses: Neptune Township Officer Shane Leaming. Neptune City Patrolman Michael Kepler. Neptune City Police Sgt. Bradley Hindes. Megan Barr, Sarah's cousin. Detective William Raynor of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. Detective Dave Sidorakis of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. Trial continues on 1/30.
1/30/19 Day 4: State witnesses: Linda Stitely, Sarah's aunt. Robert St. Amand, close friend of Sarah's. N.J. State Police Sgt. Pete Pfifer (assigned to the Point Pleasant bureau of the marine services bureau, in charge of searches in the Shark River). Trial is scheduled to resume on Tuesday, 2/5.

2/5/19 Day 5: State witnesses: State witnesses: Esther D'Amico, manager of Bruno's Pizzeria (Stern's former boss). Hugh Roarty, an ocean engineer with Rutgers University. 5: Michael Stern, Sarah's father. Prosecutor's Detective Nicholas Cattelon. Trial continues on 2/6.
2/6/19 Day 6: Detective Nicholas Cattelona of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. Detective Sgt. Ryan Muller, also of the prosecutor's office. Jurors heard the first interview that McAtasney gave to police. The interview was conducted in December 6, 2016. Detective Brian Weisbrot, Belmar Police Dept (he did interview on 12/6/16). Trial continues on 2/7.

2/7/19 Day 7: State witnesses: Anthony Curry. DA played the video Curry recorded on Jan. 31, 2017, McAtasney laid out in detail choking Stern for a half hour. Edward Curry, Anthony's father, to corroborate his son’s story. Trial continues on Tuesday, 2/12.
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. (Was facing up to life in prison on the felony murder charge and 51 years for the additional charges). He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Will testify at LMc's trial.

Yep, but a way to end the week for the prosecution. That 13 min video, wow. I replayed in my head all night .I hope the jury does too !
For me, one of the most disturbing parts of the video is when LM says:

“... said my name and then that was it. And It took me a half hour to kill her. I thought I was gonna be able to choke her out and have her out in like a couple minutes.

[SBM]

... throw up and held my finger over her nose and set a timer. That’s the only time I had my phone. And it took me a half hour after I hit start on the timer.“ (BBM)
Sarah Stern murder: The 5 most disturbing quotes from confession video

Maybe I’m missing something, but I cannot think of a reason as to why he had to set a timer, other than to satisfy a macabre curiosity.

I know he had to make sure not to be late for work, but for that, all he he would have had to do was to check the time on his phone.

Did he just sit there and watch her die?

“... said my name and then that was it. And It took me a half hour to kill her. I thought I was gonna be able to choke her out and have her out in like a couple minutes.

[SBM]

... throw up and held my finger over her nose and set a timer. That’s the only time I had my phone. And it took me a half hour after I hit start on the timer.“ (BBM)

Maybe I’m missing something, but I cannot think of a reason as to why he had to set a timer, other than to satisfy a macabre curiosity.

I know he had to make sure not to be late for work, but for that, all he he would have had to do was to check the time on his phone.

It’s very disturbing. And yes, it sounds like he just sat there watching and waiting for her to die.

“The following tape was played for the jury in the Sarah Stern murder trial.

In it, defendant Liam McAtasney appears to describe how he allegedly killed Stern.

WARNING: This video contains strong and disturbing language and may not be suitable for all viewers.”

The video is 18:16-long, and there is no paywall ;).

VIDEO: Secret video recording of alleged Sarah Stern killer

I just found this thread, and I just saw this article -- please excuse if it's a repeat --

N.J. Teen Whose Body Was Dumped off a Bridge Was Allegedly Choked for Half-Hour by Her Friend
"I did something really dumb and planned it out for a half a year," Liam McAtasney appears to tell a friend about the killing of Sarah Stern

Chris Harris

February 08, 2019 01:35 PM

In a chilling, secretly videotaped confession played Thursday as part of his ongoing murder trial, a New Jersey man, standing trial for allegedly murdering a childhood friend for the inheritance she’d received following her mother’s death, vividly and calmly recounted strangling her before dumping her body off a bridge — and even complained about the amount of money he walked away with.

N.J. Teen Whose Body Was Dumped off a Bridge Was Allegedly Choked for Half-Hour by Her Friend

[SBM]

For a normal person it's not understandable. I think we need to stop looking for the humanity, it's just not there. I have replayed that video in my head over, and over. IMO there is one part where LM lies .When he says he wanted them to find her body, like he was disappointed . His body language changed along with his tone. Near the end of the tape when AC asked what was holding him up, or rather what was he doing? At that point I think you saw a bit of the real LM, when he responds with anger,"strangling someone " IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious38