DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
21652039-mmmain.jpg

N.J. 19-year-old missing after her car was found unoccupied on Belmar bridge

December 5, 2016

A 19-year-old Neptune City woman remains missing Monday, nearly three days after her car was found unoccupied on the Route 35 bridge in Belmar, and her family is appealing for any information to help locate her.

Two men charged in missing New Jersey woman's strangling death, robbery

February 2, 2017

Two men have been charged in connection with the murder of a 19-year-old New Jersey woman who went missing from her home in December.

Liam McAtasney, 19, and Preston Taylor, 19, both of Neptune City, were arrested after a two-month investigation had revealed 19-year-old Sarah Stern had been killed during a robbery at her home on Dec. 2, the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office said.

[...]

McAtasney was charged with first-degree felony murder, first-degree robbery, among other charges.

Taylor was charged with second-degree desecration of human remains, second-degree conspiracy, and other charges.

Prosecutors: Murder Suspect Watched Neptune Woman Die For 30 Minutes

February 14, 2017

Prosecutors say man accused of killing a woman during a robbery told a friend that he strangled her with such force that he lifted her off the ground and watched for 30 minutes as she died in her home.

The details emerged Tuesday during a hearing where a judge ruled that 19-year-old Liam McAtasney will remain jailed until his trial.

[...]

Authorities say McAtasney recruited Preston Taylor to help him dump her body.

The defendant goes back to Sarah Stern’s home after leaving her dead body there for a duration of approximately eight hours, removed her from her premises with the co-defendant and brought her to the Belmar Bridge, where he, along with the co-defendant, dumped her,” Doyle said.

Stern’s body has not been found. Taylor also is charged in Stern’s death and a judge ruled last week that he, too, will remain in jail until his trial.

Thread #1

Thank you all for posting what's going on in the court room! :)

Thursday, February 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 11) (@ 9:30am ET) - NJ - Sarah Stern (19) (Dec. 2, 2016, Neptune City; not found) - *Liam McAtasney (21/19 @ time of crime) charged (2/1/17) & indicted (2/2/17) with 1st degree murder, 1st degree robbery, felony murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, desecrating human remains (2nd degree), tampering with physical evidence & hindering his own apprehension. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA seeks Life.
Trial started 1/23/19; should last 4 to 6 weeks & will only be on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays.
Skipping over Day 1 thru 6 - reference post #832 here: Still Missing - NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2
Skipping over Day 7 thru 8 - reference post #962 here - Still Missing - NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2
2/14/19 Day 9: The juror (#13) dismissed on 2/7/19 over a post on her Facebook page will face contempt charges, said Judge English. The judge interviewed each juror about what he or she heard from the dismissed juror this morning. A second juror (#14) was released as a result. Defense attorneys were asking for 5 other jurors to be released & had previously requested a mistrial, which the judge denied. Twelve jurors & two alternates remain. State witnesses: Detective Brian Weisbrot, the lead detective. Weisbrot expected to return to the stand when trial resumes on Wednesday, 2/20.
2/20/19 Day 10: Detective John Sosdian of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office. State rests their case. Following the state's case, Diaz-Cobo made a motion for a judgment of acquittal on charges of murder, felony murder & robbery. Judge English denied the motion. Defense witness: Craig Hetzel Sr. (saw a woman who resembled Sarah Stern on the day she went missing). No additional witnesses called by Diaz-Cobo on Wednesday, as the day was cut short due to the impending snowfall. Diaz-Cobo is expected to call six witnesses, including McAtasney’s mother, his cousin, a friend and also a private investigator. Trial continues on 2/21.
His accomplice Preston Taylor (19) faces up to 20 years in state prison and is subject to the No Early Release Act. (Was facing up to life in prison on the felony murder charge and 51 years for the additional charges). He pleaded guilty (4/27/17) to 1st degree robbery, 2nd degree conspiracy to commit robbery, 2nd degree distributing or desecrating human remains, 2 counts of 3rd degree hindering apprehension & 4th degree tampering with physical evidence. His sentencing will be adjourned until later in the year, pending McAtasney’s trial. Testified at LMc's trial.

Why was the guy driving around with his son at 5am on a Saturday morning? A son young enough to not know what a walk of shame is...? Ugh
Craig Hetzel Sr., a home improvement contractor, said he was driving his son to work that morning when he saw “a girl walking down the street," at Third Avenue and Main Street in Bradley Beach.

Not his business? He didn't think it was his business to report that he FOR SUREEEEEE had seen the girl with missing posters all over town, until an arrest was made months later?

Yeah. That'll fly. bye bye witness.

Also, what's up with Mr. Hetzel not remembering talking with Detective? Not recognizing a Detective he spoke with, but remembering Sarah Stern in complete certainty? A young women he claimed to see for a split second, in the dark 5am winter morning hours. That's what the Defense case rests on? I guess all the Defense needs is one moron on the jury, that thinks that constitutes Reasonable Doubt. Hey Casey Anthony got off ?!

Sarah Stern murder: McAtasney won't take the stand, victim sighting rebutted

FREEHOLD - Testimony in the Sarah Stern murder trial has concluded, without defendant Liam McAtasney taking the stand in his defense.

McAtasney, 21, of Neptune City, was barely audible as he told Superior Court Judge Richard W. English this morning that he wished to remain silent and not testify in his defense.

Defense attorney Carlos Diaz-Cobo called two witnesses this morning, before the prosecution recalled a detective to rebut testimony Wednesday from a Neptune man who said he saw Sarah Stern duck into an alley in Bradley Beach 12 hours after prosecutors allege McAtasney killed her.

McAtasney is accused of strangling Stern, his childhood friend, during a robbery in her Neptune City home on the afternoon of Dec. 2, 2016 and later dumping the 19-year-old victim's body over the Route 35 bridge from Belmar to Neptune with the help of his roommate, Preston Taylor. The pair left Stern's car atop the bridge to make it look like she jumped, Taylor has testified.

McAtasney has been on trial since Jan. 23.

Craig Hetzel Sr. of Neptune testified Wednesday that he saw Stern duck into an alley in Bradley Beach about 5 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2016 and shortly afterward drove onto the Route 35 bridge and saw a disabled car parked on top of it.

Called as a rebuttal witness today, Detective Brian Weisbrot of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office testified that Stern's car had been towed from the bridge long before 5:15 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2016, when Hetzel said he saw the car on the bridge.

Stern's body has never been found.

Last edited:
“The defense rested its case in the Sarah Stern murder trial Thursday morning after calling a total of three witnesses and informing a judge that Liam McAtasney would not be taking the stand in his own defense.

[SBM]

Jurors are expected to hear closing statements Friday and will begin deliberations after English gives instructions.

Testifying Thursday was McAtasney’s close friend, Sean McMahon. He contradicted earlier testimony that McAtasney had said before Stern’s death that her inheritance from her late mother was ‘the type of money somebody would kill for.’

[SBM]

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, has argued that his client is innocent and only told Curry the graphic story to impress him or pitch him a horror movie plot.

Taylor has previously testified that McAtasney had said that the money Stern had — which she found in a shoebox in a home her family owned — was ‘the type of money somebody would kill for.’

McAtasney’s friend, Sean McMahon, testified Thursday that he was there the night Taylor had described and that McAtasney had never uttered those words or mentioned Stern at all.

McAtasney’s friend, Sean McMahon, testified Thursday that he was there the night Taylor had described and that McAtasney had never uttered those words or mentioned Stern at all.

However, on cross-examination, he said he simply didn’t remember hearing it.

‘That doesn’t mean he didn’t say it?’ Assistant Prosecutor Meghan Doyle asked him.

‘Correct,’ he replied.” (BBM)
Defense rests in Sarah Stern murder trial as accused killer declines to testify

From the same article:

“Diaz-Cobo also called private investigator Martin Arisin, who worked on the case for McAtasney’s previous defense attorney.

Arisin testified about interviewing Craig Hetzel Sr., the Neptune man who contacted authorities and McAtasney’s attorney because he believed he saw Stern a few hours after police said she was thrown from the bridge.

While Hetzel testified he had ‘no doubt’ that the girl he saw in Bradley Beach after 5 a.m. Dec. 3, 2016 was Sarah Stern, Arisin testified that Hetzel and his attorney originally said he saw the young woman and also her abandoned car on Friday, Dec. 2, 2016. Arisin suggested to Hetzel that he might have gotten the date wrong, he testified, and Hetzel agreed.

He said he didn’t know that Stern’s car had been towed from the bridge at 3:17 a.m., which would contradict Hetzel’s statement that he saw the abandoned car while driving to work around 5 a.m.“

Also, what's up with Mr. Hetzel not remembering talking with Detective? Not recognizing a Detective he spoke with, but remembering Sarah Stern in complete certainty? A young women he claimed to see for a split second, in the dark 5am winter morning hours.

[SBM]

Called as a rebuttal witness today, Detective Brian Weisbrot of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office testified that Stern's car had been towed from the bridge long before 5:15 a.m. on Dec. 3, 2016, when Hetzel said he saw the car on the bridge.

Stern's body has never been found.

Between these two things, I almost wonder if Mr. Hetzel’s claim of seeing Sarah and her car is a fabrication.

I suppose there is no way to prove that it is or it isn’t. And I have no idea why anyone would make up such a story.

I just cannot come up with a single plausible explanation as to how one cannot recall speaking with an investigator with the prosecutor’s office, while being able to remember what someone s/he saw at 5 am on a December morning looked like with absolute certainty (“... Hetzel testified he had ‘no doubt’ that the girl he saw in Bradley Beach after 5 a.m. Dec. 3, 2016 was Sarah Stern ...”).

As far as I’m concerned, Mr. Hetzel has zero credibility as a witness.

“The defense rested its case in the Sarah Stern murder trial Thursday morning after calling a total of three witnesses and informing a judge that Liam McAtasney would not be taking the stand in his own defense.

[SBM]

Jurors are expected to hear closing statements Friday and will begin deliberations after English gives instructions.

Testifying Thursday was McAtasney’s close friend, Sean McMahon. He contradicted earlier testimony that McAtasney had said before Stern’s death that her inheritance from her late mother was ‘the type of money somebody would kill for.’

[SBM]

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, has argued that his client is innocent and only told Curry the graphic story to impress him or pitch him a horror movie plot.

Taylor has previously testified that McAtasney had said that the money Stern had — which she found in a shoebox in a home her family owned — was ‘the type of money somebody would kill for.’

However, on cross-examination, he said he simply didn’t remember hearing it.

‘That doesn’t mean he didn’t say it?’ Assistant Prosecutor Meghan Doyle asked him.

‘Correct,’ he replied.” (BBM)
I thought that LM mother was also on the witness list with maybe a Cousin, as well? So that was it?? I'm reluctant to comment, holding my breath for a conviction. All this. Incredibly heartbreaking for Sarah, just a rare wind that blew through our lives. A lovely laugh, ready smile, with her hand open for friendship.

I thought that LM mother was also on the witness list with maybe a Cousin, as well? So that was it?? I'm reluctant to comment, holding my breath for a conviction. All this. Incredibly heartbreaking for Sarah, just a rare wind that blew through our lives. A lovely laugh, ready smile, with her hand open for friendship.
I’m thinking his mother and cousin, if they were on the witness list, probably bowed out once that horrific video confession was played! This trial should have ended that night with a Guilty Verdict!

I have the notion this will be a very short deliberation, personally.
It's incredible that we will finally reach a "verdict watch" tag here.
If anyone ever wants to take my life for a sum of money, I'd implore them to tell me honestly and I will go to the bank and take out a loan to give them, for pete's sake. The wastefulness of these crimes. Sarah seemed to be so full of promise and good to offer the world. I will trust that justice is just hours away now.

I have the notion this will be a very short deliberation, personally.
It's incredible that we will finally reach a "verdict watch" tag here.
If anyone ever wants to take my life for a sum of money, I'd implore them to tell me honestly and I will go to the bank and take out a loan to give them, for pete's sake. The wastefulness of these crimes. Sarah seemed to be so full of promise and good to offer the world. I will trust that justice is just hours away now.
From your mouth, to God's ears.

Here's the thing, while the trial was occurring, Sarah was with us. Every kind thing that witnesses said about her was true. Not made true by her death, but true in fact. Do we just move on now? Gather our memories, grow older without her. Watch her friends grow, mature,and follow their dreams. Sarah never to grow older than 19. Reunion of friends, without her. Always a missing laugh amongst them. Painful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina
Back