Found Safe NJ - Thomas Kolding, 15, Mountain Lakes, 30 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he has to be fairly savvy to travel from home to Denville to Newark to Penn Station to Trenton to Camden. Lots of train changes and can be a little intimidating if not familiar with it in some way. Plus he lives in a town that has a train station which could easily get him to Secaucus NJ and them to Penn Station, or to Hoboken NJ and then to lower Manhattan. He seems to have chosen these roundabout and south-north-south routes for a reason. jmo

I lived in both Hoboken and Bloomfield on the border of north newark, so I am somewhat knowledgeable of his possible routes. I actually don’t know if I agree he chose these routes for a reason. Things may not have worked out the way he planned. Boarding a plane alone to get on a flight that your parents booked for you is different than trying to navigate the country on your own as a 15 year old with no phone

That being said, where was he staying the past few days? I think he has assistance.

It took 3 days for this to be made public. So much could have happened in those 3 days. If his runaway situation was made public right away, we may not be here right now talking about him being on the run because he may have been outed by someone at this point. Those 3 days were crucial imo. FWIW I think the family knows way more than they are saying, and I would not be surprised if they know he is safe because they’ve talked to someone who has been with him.

He was traveling before he was reported missing. He had 3 days at least. He disappeared a week ago and the picture in Camden was taken Saturday and just released today. He has $1,000 cash on him. Camden is not good. Where could he have gone from there, here it is Wednesday already.

Gah! I didn't realize his parents waited 3 days to report him missing. Somehow I misunderstood and thought they only waited 3 days to tell the public he was missing. Both are bad/not helpful for finding him. But if his parents didn't report him missing to LE for 3 days a lot could have happened. He could have runaway, tried to get on an Amtrak to CA and found he could not and returned home in 3 days. He could be hiding out at a friend's house or could have had something happen to him closer to home if he was running away from someone/something specific. Although, I suppose LE would have video of him returning as well if that were the case. I'm really worried about this kid.

I lived in both Hoboken and Bloomfield on the border of north newark, so I am somewhat knowledgeable of his possible routes. I actually don’t know if I agree he chose these routes for a reason. Things may not have worked out the way he planned. Boarding a plane alone to get on a flight that your parents booked for you is different than trying to navigate the country on your own as a 15 year old with no phone

That being said, where was he staying the past few days? I think he has assistance.

It took 3 days for this to be made public. So much could have happened in those 3 days. If his runaway situation was made public right away, we may not be here right now talking about him being on the run because he may have been outed by someone at this point. Those 3 days were crucial imo. FWIW I think the family knows way more than they are saying, and I would not be surprised if they know he is safe because they’ve talked to someone who has been with him.
That does make more sense actually. I’m trying to work out details mixed in with all the directional train travel. I live south closer to Philly but travel to Hoboken through Secaucus and Long Island through NY Penn Station a lot to see my kids. Here in Hoboken this week as a matter of fact, so it had me thinking about his options.

Gah! I didn't realize his parents waited 3 days to report him missing. Somehow I misunderstood and thought they only waited 3 days to tell the public he was missing. Both are bad/not helpful for finding him. But if his parents didn't report him missing to LE for 3 days a lot could have happened. He could have runaway, tried to get on an Amtrak to CA and found he could not and returned home in 3 days. He could be hiding out at a friend's house or could have had something happen to him closer to home if he was running away from someone/something specific. Although, I suppose LE would have video of him returning as well if that were the case. I'm really worried about this kid.

I also thought it was 3 days before it was made public. But I’m not really sure. I wouldn’t be shocked if his parents waited 3 days to report him missing to try to avoid “embarrassment” or make Thomas “look bad”. I just get a vibe that he’s under major pressure from his parents to be perfect.

No one needs to keep up with the Jones. I grew up in a NJ suburb similar to Thomas. Very upper middle class and keeping up with the Jones’s was a major thing. Oh, heroin is also rampant there now. So much for upper middle class suburbia.

From everything we’ve heard from Thomas’s parents (multiple times), he’s very smart and savvy.

You’re doing just fine bud.

My point is. I know parents want what’s best for their kids. But be realistic and understanding.

Lead Mountain Lakes Detective John Hukowski said "some fresh stuff" came through overnight, but referred other inquiries to the Morris County Prosecutor's Office.

Why is the prosecutor’s office handling the investigation of a runaway child?

Edit: I found the answer. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office has a missing persons unit and an on-call detective

Last edited:
Lead Mountain Lakes Detective John Hukowski said "some fresh stuff" came through overnight, but referred other inquiries to the Morris County Prosecutor's Office.

Why is the prosecutor’s office handling the investigation of a runaway child?

Edit: I found the answer. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office has a missing persons unit and an on-call detective
Maybe he was in love with with someone in California and was trying to get to her or him? Leaving his phone behind though :(

What did the note say?

Why did they wait 3 days to make public?

That was really really really a big mistake

Kolding said his son was captured on surveillance in the Philadelphia train station on Saturday. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office released information that the teen was also seen in Camden.

Missing boy shakes quiet Mountain Lakes community

Nicolai Kolding did not say specifically where in Philadelphia his son was spotted, nor did he say who saw Thomas.

The Morris County Prosecutor's Office could not confirm Thomas was seen in Philadelphia, but confirmed that he was photographed at a train station in Camden the afternoon of Nov. 3. He was seen wearing a large blue backpack and an orange and black striped sweater.

Missing Mountain Lakes Teen Seen In Philly, Dad Says

Thomas Kolding Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Thomas Kolding left his house in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, on Tuesday, October 30, 2018. He appears to have ridden his bike to the nearby town of Denville, located about three miles away from Mountain Lakes. Officers confirmed that Kolding rode the train to Broad Station in Newark. Newark is located about 25 miles southeast of Denville. His next destination, according to police, was Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. However, the family told the Morristown Daily Record that police have not seen any surveillance video to confirm whether Kolding actually arrived in New York City.

Then on Saturday, November 3, police picked up Kolding’s trail. He was spotted by a security camera at the Walter Rand Train Station in Camden, New Jersey, which is located just across the state border from Philadelphia.

He has not been seen since that date.

The family says that Kolding’s internet search history shows he had been researching California. Thomas has a cousin, a college student, who lives in Santa Barbara. But that family member has reportedly not spoken to Thomas.

Hindsight is 20/20 on the 3 day wait to get the word out. This might be a very independent self sufficient kid who they thought would walk back in the door at any moment.
He may have been grounded at the time, and there was definitely discussion about grades. On some level, maybe they were considering this kid's future when they didn't go national with him being missing. Colleges look at everything. They may not have wanted to put an unnecessary focus on behavior if it wasn't warranted. But then things got serious.

Great showing of support for the Kolding family at the candle light vigil last night in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey

45717319_1966893523357517_6779009597836361728_n.jpg

Mountain Lakes Police

Just saw a post about him on FB and figured there'd be a thread here. Something about the father's FB post gives me an uncomfortable feeling. Can't quite put my finger on it but something is definitely off. <modsnip - not victim friendly>. Also letting the public know the kid has all this cash on him.

That being said, $1000 isn't going to get him too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t believe for a minute that the parents weren’t out looking for him the day he left, searching train stations. The question, in my mind, is did one or both of them find him?

Last edited:
This reminder lands at random.

One of the basic principles of Websleuths is that we are "victim friendly". Parents, family, loved ones of a missing person are considered victims. Posts that insinuate their involvement or cast suspicions upon them will be removed.

Excerpt from The Rules: Etiquette & Information

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

Something is just not sitting right with me concerning this situation.. I can't put my finger on it, but just can't shake the hinky feeling I have
There's nothing hinky about it. I just feel I should let you know there are cultural differences that throw off an elitist flair (although there may be some of that elitism as well). There probably was a lot of pressure on Thomas to be great at everything.
It seems that Thomas has been riding mass transit on the east coast for a week now. It seems that he doesn't have a destination or objective in mind. Did he runaway from home to prove something to himself or to his parents. This runaway situation might be some type of test or punishment by his parents for poor grades. The story of him having $1k from investing lawn mowing money could be plausible but sounds fishy to me. The main thing is for Thomas to come home safely.
I could completely believe that the son had this money from lawn mowing. His father is very skilled in the financial world and part of that pressure to be great would be to teach his son how to save/invest wisely.

There's nothing hinky about it. I just feel I should let you know there are cultural differences that throw off an elitist flair (although there may be some of that elitism as well). There probably was a lot of pressure on Thomas to be great at everything.

I could completely believe that the son had this money from lawn mowing. His father is very skilled in the financial world and part of that pressure to be great would be to teach his son how to save/invest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member