Found Safe NJ - Thomas Kolding, 15, Mountain Lakes, 30 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last confirmed on-camera sighting was Saturday at 3PM- he could be anywhere. He has to be eating and sleeping and you know, getting rid of the stuff he eats and drinks. That means has has to be in and around public facilities and must be on camera multiple times a day. He could be sleeping in the park but the backpack is small (no sleeping bag in there) and the weather has been cold and rainy. So where is he sleeping where nobody notices a smallish clean-cut teenager alone???

This is interesting... and strange. Has anyone else done this before during a case?
(Does it come from wealth?)

With the story capturing the attention of people and media outlets across the country, the family is using a PR consultant, Mountain Lakes resident Karen Carolonza, who said she is managing interview requests, including with the Today Show.
- Mountain Lakes runaway believed to be 'safe,' spotted in Camden

Still very concerned with this very young looking missing 15 year old.

Honestly, I think the PR consultant is simply to manage something (media requests) so they can take that off their plate and focus on the search. Just like they can afford to hire an SAT tutor or one of many other service providers. On the tv interview linked to above, the Dad had huge dark circles and bags under his eyes. I cannot imagine how exhausted he must be, and if he can afford someone to handle the media stuff for him and his wife then why not?

I think it comes from concerns about appearances and concern about how the family may look to outsiders and their fellow community members. JMO

It just seems SO weird to me! Especially calling the person a "PR consultant," assuming it's what dad/parents called her...

I'd just say she was a friend helping us as we're overwhelmed with everything right now o_O

Maybe he has a burner phone.

I have thought this as well. And he is savvy enough to elude the cameras at the bus depots or train stations. I wonder if he is staying at youth hostels near the train stations in college towns?

The dad is sending Thomas very specific, odd messages.
“I still trust him as silly as it sounds. I still admire him.”
Who says that to their runaway child? Nobody unless their child left behind a letter filled with paranoid, self-depreciating statements.

“He has the feet of a quick adult. "He walks with a purpose like someone who is going somewhere.”
That sounds like untreated hypomania.

Father of missing New Jersey teen speaks out

Nicolai Kolding worrying about the words that he used while arguing with his son

I have not seen Mom say anything on camera, just her written word. I wonder what is truly going on in the house to make a 15 year old young man - who for all intents and purposes appears to have a wealthy upbringing, a privileged education and a happy existence - want to leave it all behind and in his words never return. I was in all AP classes at his age at private school as well. I was expected to get all A’s. However, I realize that I cannot compare my youth with the teens of today - their anxiety & depression is at a rate never seen before. I base this on my teen, her friends and the number of weekly prayer requests we get at my church for our parishioner teens who have attempted suicide. MOO
Mass shootings at almost a rate of one a day - today, 11/9/2018 is day 312 and there have been 307 in 2018 as of 11/8/2018. Teens now have different realities than I did. IMOO
That said...why did TK go to the extreme and run away? NJ does not have a set age for emancipation - he could have received all the services for free and still had the $1,000 to live on.

Last edited:
He might be moving around the way he does because he is visiting online friends where he also sleeps, showers, etc. I would bet he has another phone his parents knew nothing about, as well as secret sm accounts under names they are not able to guess.

I have not seen Mom say anything on camera, just her written word. I wonder what is truly going on in the house to make a 15 year old young man - who for all intents and purposes appears to have a wealthy upbringing, a privileged education and a happy existence - want to leave it all behind and in his words never return. I was in all AP classes at his age at private school as well. I was expected to get all A’s. However, I realize that I cannot compare my youth with the teens of today - their anxiety & depression is at a rate never seen before. I base this on my teen, her friends and the number of weekly prayer requests we get at my church for our parishioner teens who have attempted suicide. MOO
Mass shootings at almost a rate of one a day - today, 11/9/2018 is day 312 and there have been 307 in 2018 as of 11/8/2018. Teens now have different realities than I did. IMOO
That said...why did TK go to the extreme and run away? NJ does not have a set age for emancipation - he could have received all the services for free and still had the $1,000 to live on.

There may not have been anything going on in the house to cause Thomas to flee. For example, Thomas might have an untreated mental health disorder which causes him to think and act irrationally.

According to the FBI, the definition of a mass shooting is when four or more people are selected indiscriminately and then killed. Your source, Gun Violence Archive, counts inner city gang violence deaths as mass shootings. Gang violence doesn't fit the FBI's definition of mass shootings, because it's victims are not chosen indiscriminately. They are usually known to the shooter, but these deaths are still counted as mass shootings by your source. Domestic violence homicides are also counted as mass shootings by your source and they don't qualify because the victims are specifically selected and known by the shooter. Yes, death can be a source of stress for everyone including teens.
VERIFY: Here’s why no one can agree on the number of mass shootings in 2018

Mother Jones has also tracked mass shooting events going back to 1982. In 2018, they count 11 total not 307.

• Pennsylvania Carwash Shooting in Melcroft PA, 1/28/18 4 killed 1 injured

• Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Parkland Florida 2/14/18 17 dead 14 injured

• Yountville Veterans Home Shooting Yountville, California 3/9/18 3 dead 0 injured

• Waffle House Shooting Nashville, Tennessee4/22/18 4 dead 4 injured

• Sante Fe High School Shooting Santa Fe, Texas 5/18/18 10 dead, 13 injured

• Capital Gazette Shooting Annapolis, Maryland 6/28/18 5 dead 2 injured

• Fifth Third Center Shooting Cincinnati, Ohio 9/6/18 3 dead 2 injured

• T&T Trucking shooting Bakersfield, California 9/12/18 5 dead 0 injured

• Rite Aid Warehouse Shooting Perryman, Maryland 9/20/18 3 dead 3 injured

• Tree of Life Synagogue Shooting Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 11 dead 6 injured

• Thousand Oaks Nightclub Shooting Thousand Oaks, California 12 dead 22 injured

Last edited:
Ok so he IS pretty savvy in his attempt to elude his family and LE.

By taking the train from Denville to Newark, then somehow getting into NYC Penn at midnight last Tuesday, he laid low until Saturday, when he surfaced at the station in Camden (presumably from a train as far north as NYC). Then had the sense to walk the Ben Franklin in Camden into Philadelphia.

It's amazing they found him on camera at 8th and Race in Philly on Saturday too. Anyone know what kind of neighborhood that is?

There must be a gazillion street cameras. How did they possibly find him on that street corner at that particular time.

The internet can teach your kid how to run away from home. Parents, here’s what to know

8th and Race is right over the bridge. My guess is the camera is there because of the bus station. Where he was going is baffling me....

I'm confused on why he crossed over the Ben to Philly at all. If he was already in Camden why not take the PATCO? It's less than three dollars to get from Camden to Philly. Out of money? Or didnt know about it?

Bridge walkers aren't unheard of but not teenage boys that are alone. I would bet someone saw him and that's why they started looking at security cams?

I'm confused on why he crossed over the Ben to Philly at all. If he was already in Camden why not take the PATCO? It's less than three dollars to get from Camden to Philly. Out of money? Or didnt know about it?

Bridge walkers aren't unheard of but not teenage boys that are alone. I would bet someone saw him and that's why they started looking at security cams?
Respectfully...not true. All kinds of people jog, walk and bike ride across the bridge daily. It has a nice pedestrian walkway. Hubby and I do it often, over and back. Normally we park in Camden by Rutgers.

Respectfully...not true. All kinds of people jog, walk and bike ride across the bridge daily. It has a nice pedestrian walkway. Hubby and I do it often, over and back. Normally we park in Camden by Rutgers.

I don't how/why else they would have known to look at cameras in the city unless he was spotted on the bridge. I dont personally think he would stick out in Philly.

There may not have been anything going on in the house to cause Thomas to flee. For example, Thomas might have an untreated mental health disorder which causes him to think and act irrationally.

According to the FBI, the definition of a mass shooting is when four or more people are selected indiscriminately and then killed. Your source, Gun Violence Archive, counts inner city gang violence deaths as mass shootings. Gang violence doesn't fit the FBI's definition of mass shootings, because it's victims are not chosen indiscriminately. They are usually known to the shooter, but these deaths are still counted as mass shootings by your source. Domestic violence homicides are also counted as mass shootings by your source and they don't qualify because the victims are specifically selected and known by the shooter. Yes, death can be a source of stress for everyone including teens.
VERIFY: Here’s why no one can agree on the number of mass shootings in 2018

Mother Jones has also tracked mass shooting events going back to 1982. In 2018, they count 11 total not 307.

• Pennsylvania Carwash Shooting in Melcroft PA, 1/28/18 4 killed 1 injured

• Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Parkland Florida 2/14/18 17 dead 14 injured

• Yountville Veterans Home Shooting Yountville, California 3/9/18 3 dead 0 injured

• Waffle House Shooting Nashville, Tennessee4/22/18 4 dead 4 injured

• Sante Fe High School Shooting Santa Fe, Texas 5/18/18 10 dead, 13 injured

• Capital Gazette Shooting Annapolis, Maryland 6/28/18 5 dead 2 injured

• Fifth Third Center Shooting Cincinnati, Ohio 9/6/18 3 dead 2 injured

• T&T Trucking shooting Bakersfield, California 9/12/18 5 dead 0 injured

• Rite Aid Warehouse Shooting Perryman, Maryland 9/20/18 3 dead 3 injured

• Tree of Life Synagogue Shooting Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 11 dead 6 injured

• Thousand Oaks Nightclub Shooting Thousand Oaks, California 12 dead 22 injured

I used that particular source & number due to its prevalence on the internet, MSM and at the grocery store checkout on all the publications. That figure has been in the teens’ faces since Thousand Oaks. MOO

And I absolutely agree with what you said about TK and possible undiagnosed issues. I have read a few that have been brought into comments upthread. And teens brains are still growing, they do act irrationally at times, yet him wanting to leave and not be found is what I find disturbing. TK’ story reminds me of Emily Paul’s:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b61bea0e4b0de86f49ce3b4/amp

I don't how/why else they would have known to look at cameras in the city unless he was spotted on the bridge. I dont personally think he would stick out in Philly.
I'm curious about his being spotted in Philly and being reported as walking across the bridge, though. I don't recall reading anything other than his being spotted in Camden at the Rand Transportation Center. I must have missed that info. Was this BF Bridge crossing and camera surveillance on 8th and Race in Philly reported somewhere?

ETA I just read his dad's Facebook page, so I see where he's stating this.

Last edited:
But who knows? Just trying to figure out why he went there and how they found out since his parents thought he was in NY. Maybe he made contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298