NM - Alexee Trevizo, 19, Charged with murder of newborn in trash can, Artesia, Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Bodycam: Boyfriend of Teen Accused of Dumping Baby in Hospital Trash Says He Was the Father

6/29/23 -- Bodycam footage shows a police officer interviewing the mother and boyfriend of the New Mexico teen accused of dumping her baby in the trash after delivering it in a hospital bathroom. Alexee Trevizo’s boyfriend, Devyn Fierro, confirmed that he was the father of the deceased newborn. Trevizo, who claimed she didn’t know she was pregnant when she gave birth at Artesia General Hospital in January, is charged with first-degree murder, or alternatively abusing a child resulting in death and tampering with evidence.

thank you for that I was actually a bit relieved to see her mom show some emotion when he mentioned 'aftercare' of the baby

Per the L&C Youtube above, I'm surprised that AT was life-flighted from Artesia General Hospital to Roswell's Lovelace Regional Hospital, about 50 miles away-- given AGH is actually a bit larger and offers similar services.

IMO, almost seems more of a political move to treat AT outside of the area, similar to not allowing her to resume attending school post-arrest-- except for final exams, and not attend the HS graduation ceremony.

Artesia General
Lovelace Regional

Trevizo was released after posting $100,000 bond on May 16. She was not allowed to attend her high school graduation

“They’re not going to allow her to go to her graduation because of the controversy in the community. And they just don’t want to have any chaos. She’s agreeable to that,” Mitchell said of Trevizo’s graduation.

Law&Crime Network reached out to Artesia High School for comment. Superintendent Thad Phipps replied via email, “I am unable to make a comment on personal student matters.”

“There was not an order or command from the school, as far as we know. They just asked that she not be there so as not to generate any issues whatsoever. And so she agreed to that,” Mitchell said.

[..]

According to Mitchell, Trevizo went back to school after giving birth in January, but following her arrest, only returned to take a final exam. He said she has a 3.86 GPA and is already committed to attending New Mexico State University.

Bodycam: Boyfriend of teen accused of dumping newborn in hospital trash bin says he was the father

but she went to prom? was that before she was arrested?

I feel She was probably life flighted out to keep her in secure custody while removing her from the hospital where the staff are now all witnesses, huge conflict of interest I would think ?
They don’t have an ob/gyn in the hospital where Alexee killed the baby. Thus the life flight. The doctor mentions this in the first video that came out. So weird that she decides Alexee is in bad enough shape to be medevac-ed, but not in bad enough shape to need care (like a basic saline IV) immediately.

Exactly. I have yet to hear of a case like this where the mother doesn’t come from a very conservative household when it comes to things like sex and sex education (not in a political sense but in a cultural sense).
That’s why I feel for some of these young women. I don’t condone what they do, but have room for empathy.

After considering Alexee’s behavior in the months since, I have lost any iota of empathy I had for her, though…

Unpopular opinion: I think anytime a young mother is in denial or hides a pregnancy, they truly need mental help. Being pregnant can overload a person's system and make them do crazy things, See Lindsay Clancy from Massachusetts. Charging this girl with first degree murder does not seem appropriate. She needs mental help.

Unpopular opinion: I think anytime a young mother is in denial or hides a pregnancy, they truly need mental help. Being pregnant can overload a person's system and make them do crazy things, See Lindsay Clancy from Massachusetts. Charging this girl with first degree murder does not seem appropriate. She needs mental help.
But people can need mental help and still be responsible for their actions. Also, IMO, I don't think Alexee was "in denial", because I gather from the Daily Mail article ^^^ that she denied for months, e.g. to her coach and others at school. That means she recognized her condition. And then she out-and-out lied to the doctor and nurses.

I can't remember if Alexee actively sought mental health treatment after the event, but I rather think not. In the other recent New Mexico case, it seems the young woman did everything she could to link in to social services. Her supporting witnesses in court commended her commitment. I don't see any of that from Alexee.

Those comments from Alexa's (the other case) supporters and her mental health issues from growing up earned her mitigation from the sentencing judge that got her 2 years lopped off her sentence. It didn't change her conviction, though.

IMO Alexee should be out there doing everything she can to demonstrate that she is committed to being a contributing member of her community. I wish the arresting judge had ordered that she hold a job and/or do community service in the months before trial. I believe she was given a curfew, but IMO should have been forced to be out of that house and be helpful to the universe during the day. What is she even doing all day? She's allowed to go on vacation? Terrible.

IMO she could be flipping hamburgers, cleaning stores after hours, or working in a manufacturing line, building houses, painting over graffitti, mowing lawns for seniors, delivering meals on wheels, SOMETHING....

While I think it's unlikely she'll get first degree from a jury, IMO she's shot herself in the foot and won't find many sympathetic ears. She could also be doing herself a big favor towards mitigation during sentencing if she put herself in a productive situation. Her actions subsequent to the event speak to character, IMO, not to mental health, though there is likely some of that in the mix, too.

Last edited:

She was a legal adult, not a girl. If what she did wasn't premeditated murder, at what point after the birth would it have been?
I understand wanting to consider "why" this happens, but in the absence of psychosis or similar, I think people are responsible for their actions, especially adults.

She was a legal adult, not a girl. If what she did wasn't premeditated murder, at what point after the birth would it have been?
I understand wanting to consider "why" this happens, but in the absence of psychosis or similar, I think people are responsible for their actions, especially adults.
Completely agree. It’s no different than If she strangled a classmate and hid the body.

5/12/23

“Artesia Police Department detectives presented case information to the 5th Judicial District Attorney’s Office on March 28, 2023. A criminal complaint was approved on May 10, 2023, and formal charges were filed on the suspect, and mother of the victim,” cops said.

As police phrased it, Trevizo is charged with first-degree murder “or alternatively” intentional abuse of a child resulting in death, plus a count for tampering with evidence.

“[T]he above-named defendant(s) did: Kill John Doe, a human being, without awful justification or excuse,” the complaint said, alleging that Trevizo “did knowingly intentionally or negligently, and without justifiable cause, cause or permit John Doe, a child, to be placed in a situation that endangered or might have endangered John Doe’s life or health and the abuse resulted in the death of John Doe.”

[..]

Trevizo allegedly claimed that the baby wasn’t breathing when he was born, so she panicked and threw the baby in the trash. After months of investigation and the results of an autopsy on March 28, authorities assert that the baby boy was actually born alive and died because he was placed in the bag.

Defense attorney Gary C. Mitchell called this a “horrific case of a young person who goes for help to the right place — the place in that community she should be at.”

“She went there for help, and this is the result?” the attorney asked.

Eddy County Detention Center records reviewed by Law&Crime show that Trevizo was booked at 5:36 p.m. on Thursday and has no bond. Prosecutors were reportedly expected to argue Friday in favor of the suspect’s continued detention.

Defense attorney Gary C. Mitchell called this a “horrific case of a young person who goes for help to the right place — the place in that community she should be at.”

“She went there for help, and this is the result?” the attorney asked.
Yes, Mr Attorney, if you go the “right place” and still murder your baby, then throw him in the garbage, this is the result.

July 3, 2023

ARTESIA, N.M. (COURT TV/AP) — A New Mexico woman has been charged with first-degree murder in the January death of her newborn son, whose body authorities said she placed in a trash can.

Alexee Trevizo, 19, also was charged with tampering with evidence, according to a criminal complaint filed in Eddy County in southeastern New Mexico.

Vinnie P and legal panel discuss the hospital video at the link above.

6/29/23

ALEXEE TREVISO'S ATTORNEY SPEAKS TO COURT TV​

New video here with AT's defense attorney Mitchell.

AT's mother follows the daughter to the hospital bathroom minutes after AT enters and locks the bathroom door to deliver the baby, but instead of waiting outside the door, the mother walks back to ER treatment room.

AT's Attorney provides that AT had been administered morphine for the back and stomach pain about a half hour before going to the bathroom, and the deceased newborn's toxicology showed significant morphine in the baby. Defense attorney also alleges the baby was stillborn.

Listen at the link above to get a feeling of what the defense strategy will be...

Last edited:

July 3, 2023

ARTESIA, N.M. (COURT TV/AP) — A New Mexico woman has been charged with first-degree murder in the January death of her newborn son, whose body authorities said she placed in a trash can.
Argh. She did not place a body in the trash can. She placed there living baby, wrapped into tightly tied plastic bag, who suffocated as a result of these actions.

6/29/23

ALEXEE TREVISO'S ATTORNEY SPEAKS TO COURT TV​

New video here with AT's defense attorney Mitchell.

AT's mother follows the daughter to the hospital bathroom minutes after AT enters and locks the bathroom door to deliver the baby, but instead of waiting outside the door, the mother walks back to ER treatment room.

AT's Attorney provides that AT had been administered morphine for the back and stomach pain about a half hour before going to the bathroom, and the deceased newborn's toxicology showed significant morphine in the baby. Defense attorney also alleges the baby was stillborn.

Listen at the link above to get a feeling of what the defense strategy will be...

I'm quite curious, how will that strategy explain the presence of air in baby's lungs.

I'm quite curious, how will that strategy explain the presence of air in baby's lungs.
I expect the defense will challenge the state's report with their own forensic pathologist who will present a different opinion. Already they are alleging the amount of morphine in the infant at 14 mg per MIL in the body of the baby is sufficient to cause breathing problems. MOO

No. She wasn't a trained medic with the knowledge and equipment to determine whether he was alive. If he wasn't moving, which seems very doubtful, she still can't claim she knew either way. Nonsense.
Agree.
IMO it’s very significant that she didn’t pull the cord.
In any scenario, she should have been calling for help with that amount of blood. It’s not like a little booboo. She didn’t have the knowledge or equipment to deal with any of it, and the red emergency pull was right next to the toilet. If that amount of blood issues from you, heck, you’d be pulling the cord. But she elected not to. This is an extra element of awareness and concealment.

And, if the baby had really been stillborn? Would she then have pulled the cord? I think maybe she would have had to… For one thing, she has to explain the blood. Menstruation (her excuse) wouldn’t cut it. Self-harm might even have been harder to admit. No other injury, like a head gash from a head wound (these bleed a lot). Miscarriage…maybe, but her ideas about miscarriage might be kinda foggy, and IMO her focus wasn’t in a grey area, but black and white, pregnant or not pregnant-looking, baby or not baby.

Put another way. If she really thought the baby was stillborn, she might have had to deal with her mother over having sex, but there would be room for sympathy from pretty much everyone else, and it could conveniently be hushed up. IMO this whole scenario could only have taken place because she knew the baby was alive.

Last edited:
Morphine 30 minutes before... and during late labor? Is that normal? Was this before or after the positive pregnancy test? Are they going to try to shift some of the blame onto the hospital staff?

<moo>

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl