NM - Alexee Trevizo, 19, Charged with murder of newborn in trash can, Artesia, Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Absolutely no excuse for murdering the unwanted infant since New Mexico has a Safe Haven for Infants Act. Under the New Mexico Safe Haven for Infants Act, you can bring your baby, up to 90 days old, to any Safe Haven site in New Mexico (which includes the hospital she gave birth at) without fear of being criminally charged for child abandonment. To be covered by the law, you must notify somebody you are leaving an infant.

In New Mexico, you may surrender an infant without repercussions at:
  • Hospital
  • Law enforcement agency
  • Fire station

Yes. But she didn’t care about the newborn, who she likely viewed only as evidence of something to be ashamed of. Clearly, denial or no, when the baby came out of her, she knew she had a child. And her immediate response was to double bag him and hide him in a trash can and then rip the placenta from her own body.

but Alexee didn't look like genuine shock to me
the mother did, she was maybe thinking this was more of a miscarriage before she was told the baby was full-term

She wears glasses, but to not notice that giant pregnant belly on her daughter she would have to be legally and certifiably blind. There is no way she could look at that pumpkin sized abdomen and think "oh, it's a miscarriage". No freakin' way.

Just wondering if paternity testing was eventually done, as part of the autopsy. Did the boyfriend realize what had just happened? Or did it take him a while?

The prom photo is shocking, especially in that context.

<moo>

The officer also asks Fierro at one point: "So I'm not trying to be rude here, but you more than likely will be the father?"

"That questions causes both Rosa and Melanie to laugh, while Fierro just solemnly nods and confirms that he is the father."

Last edited:
Just wondering if paternity testing was eventually done, as part of the autopsy. Did the boyfriend realize what had just happened? Or did it take him a while?

The prom photo is shocking, especially in that context.

<moo>

The officer also asks Fierro at one point: "So I'm not trying to be rude here, but you more than likely will be the father?"

"That questions causes both Rosa and Melanie to laugh, while Fierro just solemnly nods and confirms that he is the father."

both families' reactions are so inappropriate

Was abortion available to girl? Were abortion pills available?
I did some math.
Edit: added links
To be honest I spent way too much time researching this and I don't know how much the procedure costs so this is an incomplete study. Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to fill in the missing data.

The obstacles are usually distance and poverty. If this girl had her phone and internet closely monitored, it would be difficult to obtain a telehealth visit to obtain a pharmacological abortion through the mail.

The closest clinic to Artesia is a 3 hour drive to Las Cruces, and there is no public transportation available. Hopefully she could get a car ride to the closest Greyhound bus station in Carlsbad (40 minutes away by car, otherwise 3 hours by bicycle). Once a day, a round trip indirect Greyhound bus ride from Carlsbad to Las Cruces is 5 hours each way (includes an hour-long transfer in El Paso) and costs about $30-$50, depending on how early you can book a ticket.
Hopefully she can get an appointment, because of the recent Texas legislation that bans abortion, surrounding clinics have about a 50% increase in clients.

Time:
80 min to/from Carlsbad (if a friend drops her off)
10 hours bus to/from Las Cruces
30 min Bus station to hotel
10 min walk to/from clinic
? Medical procedure and recommended rest

Costs*:
? gas money to/from Carlsbad
$50 Greyhound bus ride
$2 city bus to hotel
$115 motel (single occupancy, one night, other hotels start around $200)
$50 lunch and dinner (The motel I chose provides breakfast and free wifi)
? procedure and medication (without insurance)

*Although most abortion seekers are already mothers, this girl would be exempt from child care costs while she travels.
*Not included: verbal abuse, stalking, threats, and possible physical abuse from forced-birth protesters surrounding the clinic.

Last edited:
if she knew, why would she not tell emergency services or the doctors and nurses what they were dealing with?
I'm guessing shame has a lot to do with it. Denial of something that is Not Acceptable or Could Never Happen To Me.
Was this a mentally healthy household to begin with? Why was she so afraid to tell her mom the truth in the first place?
Do we have evidence of paternity yet, or is SA still a possibility?

All she had to do was leave the baby there, not tied closed with no air to breathe in a plastic bag. It was actually that simple.
^^bbm

Yes! Unlike her cheer sister Skyler Richardson, AT gave birth in the hospital bathroom and only needed to tell the hospital attendant knocking on the door that she did not want the baby.
At 19, AT also had a right to privacy, and her mother did not need to know. And there goes the defense about fearing her mother!

And watching the interaction of mother and daughter in the ER, I think AT was proficient at telling her mother what mom wanted to hear! IMO, it was as if the obvious caused the mother to ask AT if she was pregnant but as long as AT replied "No," then the mother did not have to believe the obvious.

I find this case so similar to Richardson where the mothers were both more concerned about reputation and/or image than the baby in the trash or planted in the garden under a pot. JMO

ETA: AT also told classmates her weight gain was related to her taking birth control pills so it seems to me AT was able to get contraception without her mother's knowledge. Again, she was likely age 18 at conception (and 19 when giving birth).

I'm guessing shame has a lot to do with it. Denial of something that is Not Acceptable or Could Never Happen To Me.
Was this a mentally healthy household to begin with? Why was she so afraid to tell her mom the truth in the first place?

IMO, I think this was a household where reputation and/or image were more important than the health and welfare of the (obvious) prenatal.

I recall Mom also made a statement to the investigator about how she was beaten by her husband while pregnant with AT which she attributed to why AT was born early, and also AT's history of hip pain where she'd long been receiving treatment by a chiropractor.

(Statement was in response to AT's complaint about suffering from lower back pain all day leading to the ER visit, and why, given the history, the mother was not necessarily alarmed).

And no, I don't think there was any doubt at the hospital between the parties present--including the Bf, that the boyfriend (DF), of three years, was the father. MOO

1688423142513.png

MSM Photo link

I searched for the term "neonaticide" here but haven't seen it posted yet.

From 2020:
Infant homicides occurring within the first 24 hours of life (i.e.,neonaticide) are primarily perpetrated by the mother, who might be of young age, unmarried, have lower educational attainment, and is most likely associated with concealment of an unintended pregnancy and nonhospital birthing

From 2004:
"A further risk factor associated with age that is highlighted in many case report studies is the frequent observation that women are single2 and still living at home with their parents.22,23 In addition there is often a suggestion of there being limited communication between the young mother-to-be and her family.22 In some families this is blamed on a 'strict fundamentalist upbringing'22 or a 'parent committed to his religious ideas'.24 Other studies have, however, focused 'blame' on the personal characteristics of the woman—for instance, being immature,25 timid,26 below average intelligence or passive.27"

"Others seeking explanations for why these women do not seek an abortion have proposed that neonaticide is a 'terminal abortion' procedure20 and that the risk is greatest in societies with strict anti-abortion laws.2 Jason and colleagues32 found that neonaticide was more common in rural communities where abortion was suggested to be less socially acceptable. Lester33 noted a decrease in neonaticide following a relaxation of abortion laws in the United States. A later study,34 however, looking at data from 39 nations, did not find an association between the strictness of abortion laws and the incidence of neonaticide."

Bodycam: Boyfriend of Teen Accused of Dumping Baby in Hospital Trash Says He Was the Father

6/29/23 -- Bodycam footage shows a police officer interviewing the mother and boyfriend of the New Mexico teen accused of dumping her baby in the trash after delivering it in a hospital bathroom. Alexee Trevizo’s boyfriend, Devyn Fierro, confirmed that he was the father of the deceased newborn. Trevizo, who claimed she didn’t know she was pregnant when she gave birth at Artesia General Hospital in January, is charged with first-degree murder, or alternatively abusing a child resulting in death and tampering with evidence.

Per the L&C Youtube above, I'm surprised that AT was life-flighted from Artesia General Hospital to Roswell's Lovelace Regional Hospital, about 50 miles away-- given AGH is actually a bit larger and offers similar services.

IMO, almost seems more of a political move to treat AT outside of the area, similar to not allowing her to resume attending school post-arrest-- except for final exams, and not attend the HS graduation ceremony.

Artesia General
Lovelace Regional

Trevizo was released after posting $100,000 bond on May 16. She was not allowed to attend her high school graduation

“They’re not going to allow her to go to her graduation because of the controversy in the community. And they just don’t want to have any chaos. She’s agreeable to that,” Mitchell said of Trevizo’s graduation.

Law&Crime Network reached out to Artesia High School for comment. Superintendent Thad Phipps replied via email, “I am unable to make a comment on personal student matters.”

“There was not an order or command from the school, as far as we know. They just asked that she not be there so as not to generate any issues whatsoever. And so she agreed to that,” Mitchell said.

[..]

According to Mitchell, Trevizo went back to school after giving birth in January, but following her arrest, only returned to take a final exam. He said she has a 3.86 GPA and is already committed to attending New Mexico State University.

Bodycam: Boyfriend of teen accused of dumping newborn in hospital trash bin says he was the father

Per the L&C Youtube above, I'm surprised that AT was life-flighted from Artesia General Hospital to Roswell's Lovelace Regional Hospital, about 50 miles away-- given AGH is actually a bit larger and offers similar services.

IMO, almost seems more of a political move to treat AT outside of the area, similar to not allowing her to resume attending school post-arrest-- except for final exams, and not attend the HS graduation ceremony.

Artesia General
Lovelace Regional

Trevizo was released after posting $100,000 bond on May 16. She was not allowed to attend her high school graduation

“They’re not going to allow her to go to her graduation because of the controversy in the community. And they just don’t want to have any chaos. She’s agreeable to that,” Mitchell said of Trevizo’s graduation.

Law&Crime Network reached out to Artesia High School for comment. Superintendent Thad Phipps replied via email, “I am unable to make a comment on personal student matters.”

“There was not an order or command from the school, as far as we know. They just asked that she not be there so as not to generate any issues whatsoever. And so she agreed to that,” Mitchell said.

[..]

According to Mitchell, Trevizo went back to school after giving birth in January, but following her arrest, only returned to take a final exam. He said she has a 3.86 GPA and is already committed to attending New Mexico State University.

Bodycam: Boyfriend of teen accused of dumping newborn in hospital trash bin says he was the father
Maybe she was life-flighted to Lovelace for obstetric care? I don't see that Artesia has a Labor and Delivery department, but I could be wrong. I am surprised she didn't go into shock. It's all so disturbing.

Maybe she was life-flighted to Lovelace for obstetric care? I don't see that Artesia has a Labor and Delivery department, but I could be wrong. I am surprised she didn't go into shock. It's all so disturbing.
Yes, she was life-flighted for obstetrics care. Evidently, she was bleeding heavily, and it wasn't clear where the placenta was. Once the hospital staff started wagging fingers, they stalled Alexee's care. It seems like it took forever for the Life Flight to get there, and for Alexee to be packaged up. With no apparent medical intervention until she got to Lovelace.
All of this is on video that shows the hospital corridors.

How odd that a "state of the art hospital" that first opened in 1939 and even offers bone density testing as well as 3D mammography would not also offer obstetrics when 50 miles to Roswell in the middle of NM winter could make the difference between delivering your baby in your vehicle on the side of the road or at hospital! Perhaps the non-profit trying to keep the cost of malpractice insurance down. Just sayin...

Women’s Services at Artesia General Hospital covers a range of both inpatient and outpatient programs, focused on helping women throughout their lifetime. We are committed to providing personalized, innovative health care to women through prevention and detection using a wide array of diagnostic services that include 3D mammography, bone density testing and gynecological services.

Artesia General

Exactly. I have yet to hear of a case like this where the mother doesn’t come from a very conservative household when it comes to things like sex and sex education (not in a political sense but in a cultural sense).

How odd that a "state of the art hospital" that first opened in 1939 and even offers bone density testing as well as 3D mammography would not also offer obstetrics when 50 miles to Roswell in the middle of NM winter could make the difference between delivering your baby in your vehicle on the side of the road or at hospital! Perhaps the non-profit trying to keep the cost of malpractice insurance down. Just sayin...

Women’s Services at Artesia General Hospital covers a range of both inpatient and outpatient programs, focused on helping women throughout their lifetime. We are committed to providing personalized, innovative health care to women through prevention and detection using a wide array of diagnostic services that include 3D mammography, bone density testing and gynecological services.

Artesia General
I feel She was probably life flighted out to keep her in secure custody while removing her from the hospital where the staff are now all witnesses, huge conflict of interest I would think ?

oh yes hadn't even thought of SA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuth-nado
Back