GUILTY NM - Collin Romero, 15, & Ahmed Lateef, 14, murdered, Albuquerque, Dec 2018 *guilty* + Cayla Campos murder 2019 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police say social media posts hinders missing teen investigation

[...]

"This is a continuing investigation by missing persons. We are working very hard on locating these individuals," says Officer Simon Drobik with APD.

Police have been looking into what happened because they were told about a Snapchat video of Romero and Lateef being beaten up, showing them bloody with broken bones.

Since then, people have been sounding off on social media.

"With all these rumors running around and just passing information, which direction do we go," says Drobik.

Monday morning, someone posted a picture to Facebook of who they say is responsible for what happened to the missing teens. The post includes the man's name and nickname, which we're not showing because police aren't saying whether he might be involved. But they do have a message for the public.

"It's very dangerous for the investigation if people are putting innuendos out there and rumors and speculation. We need facts and facts are what gets cases solved," says Drobik.

He said most of the information they have received about the case has been posted online, rather than being submitted through proper channels like Crime Stoppers.

"In this case you know, you can get people in trouble, people can start turning on each other, other people could get hurt," he said.

[...]

upload_2018-12-25_1-56-41.jpeg

Was just going to post the new article.

Doesn’t really tell us much...hope they have more than they are saying.

There was an officer-involved shooting last night here so am sure things are crazy...the suspect died, after pulling a gun on LE, apparently.

It sounds like tips are coming in. In addition, the police appear to know whom the boys were meeting. Then factor in the possibility of FBI assisted social media tracing.

My suspicions are that this horrible crime was largely impulsively committed by a group under the influence of both a leader and "mob mentality" where group violence escalates to extreme levels as the perpetrators "feed off" each other.

In short, they could start turning on each other soon and as a group, they may well have no place to run to outside of Albuquerque. Even in Albuquerque, hopefully their hide out options are limited to say, two days at their cousin's apartment- then to the old girl friend's place for the night.

Thanks for the local perspective. I was envisioning a high crime area known for gang activity. I am glad that you are able to correct that false impression.

To be clear...the area of the alleged drug deal is the area I indicated was residential, and not known for drugs/high crime. If the beating took place on the West Mesa, that is some dozen or more miles away...and has some very remote areas...that is the area where the bodies of several women were found several years ago in a kind of mass grave. (West Mesa Murders.) Crime victim do end up out there, regardless of where the violence occurred.

There is a Facebook group that has been organizing search parties to look for the boys - the response has been overwhelming. People have come out on foot, with atvs, jeeps, etc to help search but nothing related to this case has been found.

They have asked if anything is found to report it to Crime Stoppers or APD immediately - I guess something was discovered that looked as though a struggle had taken place but it wasn't related to the missing boys, so they want to make sure it gets reported but doesn't end up drawing attention from the boys.

There is a language barrier with Ahmeds family but they have been searching and active in everything but his mother needs a translator which has made some of the process slower (I know they were trying to get an intake done for a missing child flyer and everyone was upset Ahmed didn't have one yet, but they were waiting for someone to help translate for his mom).

Collin's mom updated on her FB page that Snapchat won't release details or anything related to the video so a warrant was issued so it's just a waiting game now. It is my understanding she was told about the video by several people but did not see it personally.

I am hoping the boys are somehow alive or even being held somewhere and are found soon.

I've been following this since the first post and I just keep thinking "these are kids." I expected to see more news, searches, etc. I mean aside from the family and friends searching. Surely LE is doing something behind the scenes? Right? I don't care what they were doing, they are kids and it sounds like they were severely injured at the very least! My heart hurts for their moms and other loved ones. :(

There is a language barrier with Ahmeds family but they have been searching and active in everything but his mother needs a translator which has made some of the process slower (I know they were trying to get an intake done for a missing child flyer and everyone was upset Ahmed didn't have one yet, but they were waiting for someone to help translate for his mom).

What language does she speak?

I would encourage going to small ethnic grocery / deli stores for a translator. The owners of these stores rely on immigrant communities for sales and can be pretty community involved.

The stores can also function as a sort of mini community center with a few tables where customers chat, read bulletin boards and order sandwich type foods. If the owner does not speak a specific language, he could well know a customer who does. As a side note, I have successfully used this route before regarding a translation.

Also..... AT&T offers very comprehensive oral translator services in both languages and obscure dialects from every part of the world. These services are just a dial away. One, however, needs an account to pay for the translation. Setting up an account, however, might be easy.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back