NM - Dean Cummings, ski champion, self-defense defense, for the murder of Guillermo Arriola, 2020 *not guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I started watching this trial because YouTube kept putting it in my suggested…..the prosecutors and defense have wildly different stories they explained in opening statements….the defense seemed to have credible explanations for most of what the prosecutors are using as evidence of murder instead of self defense. The first witness for the prosecution was caught disremembering facts by the defense, he was a former law officer.

it sounds like a disagreement ensued with the defendant getting sprayed in the face with mace and then shooting the victim with a rifle he had loaded and ready to go, but this is in the middle of nowhere New Mexico so maybe one needs a rifle for snakes and lizards, etc. the defendant went away to find some help, there was no cell service or he didn’t have a cell phone, that hasn’t really been revealed yet. The guy he found came back to the trailer sight with the defendant and then went down the road for cell service to call 911.

The defendant was living on the victims land trying to purchase the land…the victim was living in what looks like a mobile home and the defendant was living in a fifth wheel trailer also on the property.

The trial seems to be moving along at a good pace. My opinion only.

this is a long but very good read about the defendant and how he spiraled into conspiracy theories

this is a long but very good read about the defendant and how he spiraled into conspiracy theories
Well that is an interesting read. Thank you for posting the link. It explains the defendants back ground and also points out he was pronounced unfit to go to trial in January 2020. Has been on medication and is now deemed mentally fit to stand trial……thank you again.

New Mexican, it would be reasonable to carry a firearm in this area and to have firearms ready for self & home defense. Rattlesnakes for one. My choice would be something other than an ArmaLite Rifle, for what that's worth.

Beautiful area, you're way out West but also brutal climate & terrain.

Entirely possible there's absolutely no cell signal -- another reason for ballistic home/self defense.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
New Mexican, it would be reasonable to carry a firearm in this area and to have firearms ready for self & home defense. Rattlesnakes for one. My choice would be something other than an ArmaLite Rifle, for what that's worth.

Beautiful area, you're way out West but also brutal climate & terrain.

jmho ymmv lrr
The area where the murders happened is so starkly beautiful, it is just the type of place I would like to live but for snakes and creatures, it is so far away from anywhere that GPS coordinates were used to find the crime scene,

I do wonder why they chose a self-defense defense considering he is so mentally unwell; he may have been deemed fit to stand trial, but he still has mental health issues, IMO

Verdict watch has started in this trial. I’m not sure which way the jury will vote. I’m not sure which way I would vote if I was on the jury. My opinion only.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawdaughter222
Back