NM NM - Guadalupe Co, WhtFem 17-25, UP17089, Killed on BD (11-Jul-78) by RLanphear, Jul'78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The ages match on Yvonne and doe, and they look similar-ish, but I don't think there's any getting around how off the circumstances are. Yvonne went missing suddenly in the middle of work, it sounds like. That definitely doesn't seem like she ran away. Her Doe Network page also states that they don't think she ran away because she never had before, and there were no family issues. The 'no family issues' part doesn't match up with Doe's 'mother in California' story, unless Doe (or the killers) were lying. Since Doe called her mother (or was going to) it seems like her mum knew she was hitchhiking or at least knew she had run away. It sounds like Yvonne's family were very worried about her sudden disappearance.

I doubt Doe has ever been reported missing. Assuming her story was true, her mum probably just thought she had decided not to visit and had started a new life. If Doe wasn't from California, but her mum was living in California, I'm wondering if Doe's parents were divorced, or if she was adopted and was going to see her birth mum. Or, of course, she was from California and was just going home. Although, the whole 'has a guitar' thing and 'was bragging about how much money she had spent' thing seems to lend itself more to the idea of Doe being middle class. In which case, a missing person's report was more likely to be taken seriously by LE.

We should also look into people reported missing after this doe was killed, in case the family didn't realise she was missing for some time.
ETA: Especially if doe did call her mum on that day. If mum realises, much later, that she hasn't heard from daughter in a long time, she'll remember that she last spoke to daughter on her birthday in 1978. So if she goes to file a missing person's report, she'll likely say that daughter went missing sometime after her birthday 1978, when the daughter was actually killed not long after the phonecall.

I agree with your thoughts on Yvonne's case, MarziPanda.
Regarding our Jane Doe: Either her parents were divorced or only her mom was still alive or her dad was in the army or the father was completely unknown. Doe said she'd like call her mother, not she'd like to call her parents.
Which makes me wonder whether her mother either died or got depressive after her daughter didn't come home, in both cases she wouldn't be able to keep up the search for her daughter.
After the Marcia King L aka Buckskin Girl case, all police departments should be encouraged to go through any records that they have about possible disappearings of minors. It could be that the police thought her disappearance had to do with any of the serial killers in California, and she was just counted among the victims.

The ages match on Yvonne and doe, and they look similar-ish, but I don't think there's any getting around how off the circumstances are. Yvonne went missing suddenly in the middle of work, it sounds like. That definitely doesn't seem like she ran away. Her Doe Network page also states that they don't think she ran away because she never had before, and there were no family issues. The 'no family issues' part doesn't match up with Doe's 'mother in California' story, unless Doe (or the killers) were lying. Since Doe called her mother (or was going to) it seems like her mum knew she was hitchhiking or at least knew she had run away. It sounds like Yvonne's family were very worried about her sudden disappearance.

I doubt Doe has ever been reported missing. Assuming her story was true, her mum probably just thought she had decided not to visit and had started a new life. If Doe wasn't from California, but her mum was living in California, I'm wondering if Doe's parents were divorced, or if she was adopted and was going to see her birth mum. Or, of course, she was from California and was just going home. Although, the whole 'has a guitar' thing and 'was bragging about how much money she had spent' thing seems to lend itself more to the idea of Doe being middle class. In which case, a missing person's report was more likely to be taken seriously by LE.

We should also look into people reported missing after this doe was killed, in case the family didn't realise she was missing for some time.
ETA: Especially if doe did call her mum on that day. If mum realises, much later, that she hasn't heard from daughter in a long time, she'll remember that she last spoke to daughter on her birthday in 1978. So if she goes to file a missing person's report, she'll likely say that daughter went missing sometime after her birthday 1978, when the daughter was actually killed not long after the phonecall.
There's also several articles that state they do believe she ran away. Many mixed opinions. Either way, I don't think the circumstances completely rule her out. I don't think it's known if the doe actually made contact with her mother that day. If it was Yvonne, this would have been her first birthday since going missing. Her purse that was left behind was left without id, so that could also explain why that's basicallt all the doe had with her when she was found.

I've submitted her, so at least if she is ruled out, it can stop nagging at me & I can focus elsewhere lol.

I rarely submit matches but this one has just weighing heavily on me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Sadly, the doe only has dentals for ID and Yvonne has none on record :(

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Just bumping for our girl. I've placed a call into cold case NMSP to see how the progress is going. The last time I talked to him was a couple of months ago. They still had not located her body (which is why there is no DNA) and they could not find any documents pertaining to this case. I'm still working on getting her autopsy report from OMI (which the agent in charge of this case has already ok'ed) so more waiting.

I really think this girl was either primarily living with her father (and never had a permanent phone number because she stated SHE always called her mom on her birthday) or she was a foster child and her mom didn't have custody. I think this is a case where the foster system lost track of her and her mom was probably given the reason of "we cant tell you where your daughter is" or "shes aged out of the system so she is an adult and doesn't have to contact you if she doesn't want to"

Maybe I will look into adoption registries with girls whose DOB matches this one. Maybe her birth mom continued looking for her.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Amanda

Somewhat disheartening update for everyone. New Mexico State Police called me and after months and months and months of waiting on them to do something with this case, they just told me that since they cannot find any records on this case, it must never have been their case. So they are referring me to Guadalupe State Sheriff's Dept...

Im trying to stay positive but Im really worried that this is going to turn into a hot potato "pass the cold case to someone else" game....

Unfortunately that happens a lot. A lot of places just don't want the responsibility of cold cases, especially not one where they already have a solved murder but still have a Jane Doe. In their minds, the bigger mystery has already been solved. They would rather pass their John and Jane Does to anyone else. Some places aren't like that, thankfully, but others are. I hope this really is a case of it not being their case, rather than them losing the case or passing you off.

So I have spoke with Santa Rosa PD, Guadalupe County Sheriff's Dept, and the different district courts and admin offices and NO ONE has any records from back then.

Ive spoken with one of the jurors who was on the trial back then for Robert Unger to see if he remembered any details about her from that trial (because I know she was mentioned) but of course he didnt. It was 40 years ago and he is 76. Poor guy thought I was crazy....maybe I am?

Then Ive been in contact with Robert Ungers daughter (she was 5 when her father died) but I decided to contact her and explain what I was doing and maybe she would be ok with speaking to Roberts widow (her mother). She said she would talk to her mom and her aunt and see what they remember and what paperwork they have kept. Still waiting to hear back from her...

Ive also made a fb page for her if anyone wants to check it out and like and share.

www.facebook.com/guadalupecojanedoe

How are they so certain of her age?

Her killer said that she mentioned her age and that it was her 17th birthday on the day he killed her. Of course, she could have been lying. Killer's girlfriend was also there, so it's unlikely the killer was lying.

It's such a shame that no LE seem to care about this girl. Thank you for caring, Addysmom. I hope we can bring her home.

I think it's likely to turn out that some of the info is inaccurate. Even if the murderers are telling the truth, it's possible the girl was not being completely honest with them.

She mentioned that she wanted to stop and call her mom on a payphone because it was her 17th birthday. Apparently she bragged alot about the money she had spent on her guitar and her trip thus far. So Lanphear thought she was carrying alot of cash, hence why he killed her. After he killed her, they went through her stuff and Diane testified that she did in fact find this womans birth certificate and she noted that it really was her 17th birthday.

There really isnt any reason I can think of for Diane to lie about this. Lanphear never said he saw this as it was his defensive that he wasnt even there when this hitchhiker was picked up. But we all know thats BS...so why would Diane lie about this? Everything I have read says Diane took notes about where the bodies were and gave excellent details about each murder. Except of course this girls name. But by my accounts they rode in the car together for 7 hours from Perry, OK to Santa Rosa, NM. Thats alot of time to spend in one tiny car. What did they talk about? Where had she been on her trip? Did she have an accent? Did she say what part of Califonira she was going to? Oh how I wish I could speak to Diane.

Maybe she sensed that she was with two bad people. I would make up some reason to use the phone, too, if I thought I was in danger. Also maybe say I was younger than I really was to play on their sympathies. It's just a suggestion. I don't have any idea what went down between them. I don't know why people lie. I don't know why anyone would kill a young girl either, but it happens. I feel so bad for these poor does. I just wish I were psychic and I could tell you who she is and give her back to her family. :(

Thank you for your suggestions. I truly appreciate it. I wasnt trying to slam your ideas. I love hearing new ideas and new perspectives.
There are too many does. And this one sat forgotten for 40 years. Its time she goes home.

I can't shake off the feeling that Jane Doe was a bit of a free spirit and a wanderer, not unlike Marcia King (formerly known as Buckskin Girl), which can also mean that even though there is a family out there searching for their girl, LE might've refused to accept a missing person's report, or accepted it and done nothing more about the matter, simply because she was out traveling by her own free will. She might even have been purged a year later, because she was considered to be an adult at that point.

I completely agree, Mrs Badcrumble. That is definitely one of my top two likely scenarios. My other thought was that she was raised by her dad (maybe mom didnt have custody) and she ran away to see her mom. Dad thought she abandoned him for mom and mom thought the same? Who knows....But again, why not keep in touch with the other parent and try to find them?
It still boggles my mind that so many people don't know about NamUs...

Absolutely nothing. None of the agencies are willing to take responsibility for this case so nothing is being done on It.

I spoke With Diane but she wouldn’t answer any of my questions. Just that she was hypnotized by the police but It didn’t help her in remembering any details.

That's really disappointing. I hope some agency, charity, media... anyone takes up her cause. There's only so much we can do.

She has a really outstanding height for a girl of 17 in the 70's. I don't think a lot of missing girls out there are that long. I came across few and they don't fit in the profile. Also her nose (in the PM picture) looks distinctive. Did someone came across a note that her hair was naturally curled or not?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee
Back