NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
July 23, 1957:
1. James Cantrell, 27, of Carlsbad found murdered by .22 long rifle bullets along Hwy. 62/180, 30 miles east of Carlsbad just inside Lea County.
2. Dorothy Gibson, 23, of Hobbs found murdered by same bullets as above, in an oil field along Hwy 62/180 20 miles west of Hobbs in Lea County. It is 70 miles from Carlsbad to Hobbs.
3. Barbara Lemmons, 23, of Hobbs found murdered in same location and weapon as Gibson. Gibson and Lemmons had dropped off friend at Carlsbad bus station and were returning to Hobbs. The two were in process of changing flat tire, when they got into scuffle with an unknown individual. Cantrell, a trucker, stopped to render assistance and was shot at scene. Lemmons and Gibson were abducted and driven 20 miles east, where they were murdered.
Late 1950’s:
4. Mr. Leonard, late 30’s, was murdered and his body dumped along Hwy. 62/180 southwest of White’s City, NM just inside the Texas Border. He was originally from Louisiana and was living in El Paso at the time. He had been shot and his body found decomposing 1 month after.
December 1960:
5. Charles Cox, 32 year old Artesia school teacher was found murdered and mutilated in a field a few miles south of Roswell in Chaves County.

There was a sixth murder in the area around this time period, but I have no information on it. These were all before Mattie & Patty and none have been solved. Check Posts 453, 473, 475, 526, 527, and 529 for further information.

Hmm that seems pretty odd that the majority of those listed are along the same highway. I know that the three were connected. I am not familiar with that area at all, I have been through New Mexico but not towards the bottom of the state. Tom those pictures that you have uploaded are awesome in helping those of us who do not know the land. Quite honestly I was picturing it differently until I saw those!

The reason that I brought up the question of where the bodies of these victims had been found is because in the past there have been serial killers that travel and kill and dump the victims along the routes that the killer has traveled.

I know that all of the POI's on here are very interesting suspects but I am wondering if at anyone knows how big the trucking industry was at the time? I know that is a long shot just wondering though if it would have been a possibility that this could have been someone that did that type of traveling because of a job that traveled these highways quite often throughout the years? I wonder if there were other murders that took place in say ten years around the time of the girls deaths that took place along those same highways even farther out than what everyone has researched besides the others listed above by Tom. My reasoning for wondering this is because sure there have always been people that kill and maybe I am wrong because I wasn't born back when this took place, but for such a small area it sure seems like a lot of murders for back then. If what I am wondering is a stupid idea please let me know :) I have read over the past week everything on this thread and I am trying to think of anything that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Though I must say back when this happened to Mattie and Patty it sure seems that even though at the time Carlsbad was thought to be safe, people leaving doors unlocked, etc there were sure an awful lot of shady people in the town!

I do know the pain of losing someone in such a horrible manner first hand actually two people being murdered (future brother in law and a cousin quite some years apart and in different states) and I really would love the opportunity to help anyone here if I am welcomed to do so.

Sunshine, I am curious if you know if New Mexico has Victims Rights Advocates? I know that when who would have been my future brother in law was murdered they were a huge help to us and the entire family. Our case was 2 years ago and they helped us right away with finding out extra information that without them we never would have gotten from the police. If your state does have them I am unsure if they can help on cold cases that are this old, but it is worth a shot! There is also a group here that our family belongs to called Parents of Murdered Children, I know that they have chapters in other states as well and they have been really resourceful with having a ton of contacts throughout various agencies that offer help in one way or another. You may want to look into that group also (even though it is call Parents of Murdered Children, they help anyone in the family whether you are the parent or not) they might be of some assistance to you in pointing you in the right direction of who you should talk to if you do not get anywhere with the letters that you have sent out.

When you say "trucking industry," I assume you are thinking of interstate freight trucking. The answer is this area of SE New Mexico is NOT a hot spot for trucks. Roads aren't the best and few people.

However, oil field trucking is a whole separate industry and it was huge at the time and still is very large. There are gillions of trucks going everywhere supporting and servicing wells.

The thing with oil field trucking is they spend more time OFF highways and out in the "boonies" than they do on paved roads and their drivers most assuredly know better spots to dump bodies than beside a paved highway. And what better place to commit a crime? Usually all the privacy in the world.

I don't see a serial killer connection at all between these cases. They are actually very different and for sure one of them is a totally different motive, i.e. homosexual jealousy.

Thanks Pecos for pointing that out about the trucking industry. I don't really think that a serial killer would be who killed the girls either. I was just trying to throw something new out there :)

No problem, Tabi. If ever there was a state made for hiding bodies, it would be New Mexico. There are a zillion cracks, crevasses, sinkholes, caves of every size and enough sand country to bury the Russian army without a trace.

Dumping a body beside a road always suggests to me the killer was either dumb or else mighty eager to separate himself from his victims...or both. I suspect the murders in Eddy County were spur of the moment "inspirations" for the killers and whether the original intent was rape, robbery or what...the crime very suddenly took on a life of its own. Most likely the killer wasn't thinking much clearer than his victims, which would explain some of the goofy things criminals do.

For me, it's really ironic that the biggest impediment to solving the murder of these two girls has and still is law enforcement itself. ECSO from the first totally bungled the investigation and now from the last 30 years or so the very "legal system" has prevented any aggressive action.

Every time I think of this case I just want to hang my head.

I have to completely agree with you on how inept this police department has been, not just back in the day but still that it isn't doing enough of what they should be doing. Isn't there some type of state agency that looks into police departments misconduct? If there isn't there really should be.

I am think right now back over everything, there had to have been someone even more recent that got to Estrada in some sense because why would he promise to solve or let the family know he can't solve, then retire right in the middle of getting so much information to now only say that he will only speak with the FBI about the case. He had to have found something, that is my belief anyhow. Of course I could be wrong, but just nothing else seems to make sense to me on that side of things.

I think the state needs to go in and just overhaul that entire police department, JMO.

Just my opinion here but I think what took the wind out of Estrada's sails was the FBI. Considering the time gone by and the sparse amount of evidence available, Estrada was clever enough to know if he had a chance of solving anything it was going to be with some high powered DNA results.

What he got was a few months of dithering around before the FBI shipped it all back to him with the comment, "We're too busy." His last resort of people that could help him pretty much said they could care less.:furious:

So if we want to go back and kick some butt and remodel some police departments, I say we start at the top, the FBI. I think the biggest crime ECSO was guilty of was incompetence and lack of training. The FBI knew better. They were just sorry.:banghead:

And let me add one final thought. POLITICS. How did politics play into this? Consider the fact that in Washington the state of New Mexico has ALWAYS had precious little influence and political clout. New Mexico is largely viewed as a redheaded stepchild by the wonderful people in Washington, D.C. Little wonder when someplace in New Mexico asks for FBI resources they're told "We're too busy." I have no doubt that even today every FBI agent in New Mexico would fit nicely into a very small room.

Just my opinion here but I think what took the wind out of Estrada's sails was the FBI. Considering the time gone by and the sparse amount of evidence available, Estrada was clever enough to know if he had a chance of solving anything it was going to be with some high powered DNA results.

What he got was a few months of dithering around before the FBI shipped it all back to him with the comment, "We're too busy." His last resort of people that could help him pretty much said they could care less.:furious:

So if we want to go back and kick some butt and remodel some police departments, I say we start at the top, the FBI. I think the biggest crime ECSO was guilty of was incompetence and lack of training. The FBI knew better. They were just sorry.:banghead:

And let me add one final thought. POLITICS. How did politics play into this? Consider the fact that in Washington the state of New Mexico has ALWAYS had precious little influence and political clout. New Mexico is largely viewed as a redheaded stepchild by the wonderful people in Washington, D.C. Little wonder when someplace in New Mexico asks for FBI resources they're told "We're too busy." I have no doubt that even today every FBI agent in New Mexico would fit nicely into a very small room.
I believe your right about the FBI didn't care to help in this case. They sent this retired FBI guy down to Carlsbad to help out. Mr. Bryce...was his name. And early on he said that the law enforcement had done all they could have done...within a few months of the murders.

I think the state needs to go in and just overhaul that entire police department, JMO.

Not that this has anything to do with SS1950's case but I will tell you that I so whole heartedly agree that the ECSO and PD needs to be investigated. I can tell you of my own experiences with them harrassing me and my teenage daughter because her ex-boyfriend was a troublemaker. She was on their "get list" and followed her wherever she went and stopped her for no reason, they followed me too and drove past my house about every hour. When I finally had enough I walked straight into the Chief of Police's office (James Kock) and demanded that he "call off his dogs or I would sue him and the entire LE force AND the city of Carlsbad for harrassment!" He resigned shortly thereafter. When my daughter was driving she got hit by a woman who was obviously on drugs left the scene before the cops arrived and the cop said they couldn't take a report "because they didn't see it happen". My daughter had the woman's name, license number, address and description of her car but the they still would not do anything about it even though my 8 month old g'daughter got hurt, and the car was hit so hard the dashboard fell off. The cop that finally responded just happened to be the father of a girl that my daughter went to school with who didn't like her. I can go on for days about that PD, I even wrote a letter of complaint to the Attorney General Patricia Madrid but never got a reply. Corruption in that town is an understatement of the highest degree. :furious:

With the wrong chief, PD's can get "cliquey" and basically divide people in the town into the "deserving and the undeserving." It's a bad thing when it occurs.

I had my run in with Carlsbad PD when I was a senior in high school. An Artesia girl and I drove down to attend a movie. This was when the main street of Carlsbad was torn to pieces for repair and repaving. As I threaded my way around rocks and potholes an officer stopped me and accused me of reckless driving. I told him he was crazy and challenged him to drive down the street in a straight line. It was like a war zone. When he noticed I was from Artesia, he told me to get out of town and never come back. I told him gladly...and left.

Sadly some cops look at kids as easy prey to either bully or hang citations on for this and that.

What year did this happen to you, Bobbi?

What year did this happen to you, Bobbi?

Pecos45, the harrassment lasted about 4 years and the main harrasser was Ofc. Griffith. The car wreck happened in 2003 and the responding cop was Navarette. After that we got the hell out of that good 'ol boy sorry town. I'll tell you another incident that happened to me...I was driving home from work one night about 10:00 and Ofc. Leon Nueman started following me from the south side of town and I was only going 30 mph in the right lane on S. Canal when he drove along side of me and we were nose to nose when I thought to myself that he is not going to intimidate me so I sped up a little bit to 35, the speed limit was 35. He followed me all the way to the north side of town and when I turned left onto my street he pulled me over and ticketed me for speeding! I asked him if I could see his radar gun and the last time it was callibrated (which is my right) and he said no, "you were going faster than me so you were speeding!" I tried to fight it in court but that was like spitting in the wind, Judge Whitlock took his side of course. The day I moved out of Carlsbad was by far the happiest day of my life!

I asked my friend who is a detective to comment on the prospect of questioning people about a crime. Here is the latest scoop.

A person does not have to talk to the police. Ever. Anytime I question someone I let them know the door is open and they can leave at any time. Miranda must be read only IF they are in custody AND I'm asking questions.

A "person of interest" doesn't need Miranda read to them but they can leave, stop talking, not answer the question or whatever and you can't do anything about it.

I normally try to get someone to come to the PD (where we have video taped interview rooms) to get a confession but about 1/2 the time they refuse. Once they refuse, I have to either attempt to get a warrant based on evidence or try to get more evidence.

What makes the situation with Patty & Matti so sad is the chance of gathering any significant incriminating evidence from a crime almost five decades old is dim. So we are left with nothing but inviting people to come in for interrogation and hopefully to confess. After all these years, the people who know anything have learned to be "busy" that day.

Maybe someone on their deathbed or something will volunteer what they know. But without new, hard evidence, the police are powerless.

What makes the situation with Patty & Matti so sad is the chance of gathering any significant incriminating evidence from a crime almost five decades old is dim. So we are left with nothing but inviting people to come in for interrogation and hopefully to confess. After all these years, the people who know anything have learned to be "busy" that day.

Maybe someone on their deathbed or something will volunteer what they know. But without new, hard evidence, the police are powerless.

That is true Pecos...but what do we do ...say...oh well ...let's just set on our behinds and do nothing? That is pretty much what is going on with this case. And I can tell you as Mattie's sister...that isn't going to cut it. They have ignored the leads that have come in the past ten years and some of these people have died before they were questioned. They need to work the case till the last person involved is dead....that is how I feel about it. They should have been doing something the past 40+ years...but the real truth is they don't care about this case. That's the best way to describe how the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. has worked this case.

Based solely on the information contained in this and other boards relating to the murders of Mattie and Patty, it is my opinion that the following items need to be added to the Strategic Triangulation List of this board.

Garner intervention by the State Police or the FBI in the investigation of this case. There are some serious issues involved, including evidentiary malfeasance, which can only be addressed by an outside, higher authority taking over.

Perform due diligence in developing Nichols as a suspect, since his family has offered this tip and their assistance with DNA. Delve into his history through cooperation of the granddaughter and other family members. Include vehicle ownership, places of employment, details on the California attempted molestation and parallel case study of this and other areas Nichols was known to have been through the years. Conduct a full ground search of his property in Wichita Falls for a possible connection with the Sims boy's disappearance.

Utilize the FBI’s resources to conduct an updated, thorough DNA analysis on all relevant material, with the possibility of exhumation for further forensic study.

Invite several individuals in for a little chat – with the FBI. See everyone's demeanor and cooperation hopefully change when confronted by the big boys and greater importance is placed on solving the crime.

Search for connections among certain persons of interest by whatever means possible. Although 1940 censuses are not available publicly, law enforcement could gain access to these. Establish a viable connection and then work the circles around these people. Someone knows something...

Find the known evidence in this case. If the diary has been lost, find it - or hold someone accountable. Involve the Attorney General’s Office. There is no statute of limitations on murder. Whoever lost or tossed the evidence needs to be held accountable - legally and/or civilly. You do NOT throw away or lose murder evidence. Police 101. This is a BIG deal.

Research all newspaper articles about the murders, especially the particular one which Sunshine placed on here indicating the list of evidence: tire tracks, foot print and (illegible since the page was cut off) " --- and it was cold." This could be crucial.

Get the media involved. It is time for another article in the Carlsbad newspaper, but don't stop there. Broadcast it on the AP, targeting surrounding West Texas and all of New Mexico. Spur up some interest. Start a larger movement. Utilize radio for PSA's requesting information. Solicit reporting from the television stations. Erect billboards including a picture of the girls. Get with the landowners near the place where the bodies were found and ask them to allow the erection of a billboard nearby where it would be visible to the greatest traffic count. Place another billboard on the road to the mines. Place flyers throughout the businesses of Carlsbad - convenience stores, etc.

Get Crime Stoppers involved. What will most likely solve this case is a tip from the public. Hopefully that tip will lead to further evidence.

PUBLISH the book you've been working on, Sunshine, after checking with an attorney and your publisher for any potential liability concerns. Your story needs to be told - and you need to be the one to tell it. Many families could be inspired by it and it might very well result in someone coming forward with information or other forms of assistance. It might also allow you additional monetary resources to do what you need and want to do, i.e. hire that private detective, purchase billboards and all the other expenses you most surely already incur on a daily basis in your plight for justice.

I could probably go on and on, but YES there is still a lot that can be done on this case. It is unfortunate that it is often the squeaky wheel that gets oiled. Squeak away!

Please others, add to the list of possible avenues of further investigation.

Based solely on the information contained in this and other boards relating to the murders of Mattie and Patty, it is my opinion that the following items need to be added to the Strategic Triangulation List of this board.

Garner intervention by the State Police or the FBI in the investigation of this case. There are some serious issues involved, including evidentiary malfeasance, which can only be addressed by an outside, higher authority taking over.

Perform due diligence in developing Nichols as a suspect, since his family has offered this tip and their assistance with DNA. Delve into his history through cooperation of the granddaughter and other family members. Include vehicle ownership, places of employment, details on the California attempted molestation and parallel case study of this and other areas Nichols was known to have been through the years. Conduct a full ground search of his property in Wichita Falls for a possible connection with the Sims boy's disappearance.

Utilize the FBI’s resources to conduct an updated, thorough DNA analysis on all relevant material, with the possibility of exhumation for further forensic study.

Invite several individuals in for a little chat – with the FBI. See everyone's demeanor and cooperation hopefully change when confronted by the big boys and greater importance is placed on solving the crime.

Search for connections among certain persons of interest by whatever means possible. Although 1940 censuses are not available publicly, law enforcement could gain access to these. Establish a viable connection and then work the circles around these people. Someone knows something...

Find the known evidence in this case. If the diary has been lost, find it - or hold someone accountable. Involve the Attorney General’s Office. There is no statute of limitations on murder. Whoever lost or tossed the evidence needs to be held accountable - legally and/or civilly. You do NOT throw away or lose murder evidence. Police 101. This is a BIG deal.

Research all newspaper articles about the murders, especially the particular one which Sunshine placed on here indicating the list of evidence: tire tracks, foot print and (illegible since the page was cut off) " --- and it was cold." This could be crucial.

Get the media involved. It is time for another article in the Carlsbad newspaper, but don't stop there. Broadcast it on the AP, targeting surrounding West Texas and all of New Mexico. Spur up some interest. Start a larger movement. Utilize radio for PSA's requesting information. Solicit reporting from the television stations. Erect billboards including a picture of the girls. Get with the landowners near the place where the bodies were found and ask them to allow the erection of a billboard nearby where it would be visible to the greatest traffic count. Place another billboard on the road to the mines. Place flyers throughout the businesses of Carlsbad - convenience stores, etc.

Get Crime Stoppers involved. What will most likely solve this case is a tip from the public. Hopefully that tip will lead to further evidence.

PUBLISH the book you've been working on, Sunshine, after checking with an attorney and your publisher for any potential liability concerns. Your story needs to be told - and you need to be the one to tell it. Many families could be inspired by it and it might very well result in someone coming forward with information or other forms of assistance. It might also allow you additional monetary resources to do what you need and want to do, i.e. hire that private detective, purchase billboards and all the other expenses you most surely already incur on a daily basis in your plight for justice.

I could probably go on and on, but YES there is still a lot that can be done on this case. It is unfortunate that it is often the squeaky wheel that gets oiled. Squeak away!

Please others, add to the list of possible avenues of further investigation.

Thanks Legacy. I will try and get busy on your recommendations and see if they can be accomplished quickly. I wonder if you have to have a sure fire lead to get the Crimestoppers involved? I'm not really familiar with how they get there information and how or maybe what is important for the leads to be taken serious. Some of the leads that went into the sheriff's dept. were serious leads and were ignored. So does Crimestoppers help with that?
As far as my book goes...it's ready now...I'm just trying to wait a little while longer...I guess hoping for that last chapter to be able to tell for sure who really is responsible for the girls murders. My publisher tells me to just send it in... and maybe I will. I would like to tell my families side of the this horrible murder case. We lived through it and we really know how a family feels after one of your loved ones is killed by some sick individual. And yes, if there is money made from this book I would like to use it to educate and inform others how they can survive the ordeal. If one ever does survive it. If there are others out there wanting to write a book I would like to request that they at least let me get my book out first....after all I'm the one that has informed the public about this mess of an investigation. I'm not in this to make money for myself. I want people to learn from this crime. How to treat the families and how to have respect for the victims. And maybe to teach the law enforcement officials how to investigate a murder case. How to collect the evidence...and most importantly...how to not lose the evidence!
That is all I'm trying to do here...To seek JUSTICE for Mattie and Patty's horrible murders....and to let the public know that this case was messed up from the very second that the girls were killed. This horrible case needs to be solved...not just ignored...Mattie and Patty deserve to have JUSTICE.

Excellent, Sunshine. Of course many of these suggestions are for law enforcement and others have a natural progression such as publishing the book to gain resources to complete the other items.

I admire your vision for helping others with your story - and especially for unselfishly seeking justice for Mattie and Patty all these years.

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I'd like to wish all participating Websleuthers and especially you, Sunshine, a very nice Thanksgiving. May you be surrounded with love from your earthly family and may you feel the presence of your heavenly family smiling down in admiration and thankfulness for you and your loving efforts.

Crime Stoppers was designed as a partnership among the police, the public and the media. Programs are governed by a civilian board of directors who raise funds and pay rewards to anonymous individuals who supply information which results in the solution of crimes.

Since many of the day to day operations, tip investigation and reward recommendations are administered through the corresponding police department, the program is only as effective as the police department represented. Without a commitment to work the tips that come in, Crime Stoppers' ability to assist in the solution of this or any crime could be hampered.

Crime Stoppers has proven itself a highly successful program over the years since its inception. In fact, something that all New Mexicans can be proud of is the fact that it was founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1976. It is now an international organization with programs from all over the world paying homage to New Mexico as the birthplace of Crime Stoppers.

Sunshine, I am curious if you know if New Mexico has Victims Rights Advocates? I know that when who would have been my future brother in law was murdered they were a huge help to us and the entire family. Our case was 2 years ago and they helped us right away with finding out extra information that without them we never would have gotten from the police. If your state does have them I am unsure if they can help on cold cases that are this old, but it is worth a shot! There is also a group here that our family belongs to called Parents of Murdered Children, I know that they have chapters in other states as well and they have been really resourceful with having a ton of contacts throughout various agencies that offer help in one way or another. You may want to look into that group also (even though it is call Parents of Murdered Children, they help anyone in the family whether you are the parent or not) they might be of some assistance to you in pointing you in the right direction of who you should talk to if you do not get anywhere with the letters that you have sent out.

Tabikat,

New Mexico does have, at most police departments, Victim Advocates. That would be an idea for Sunshine to get in contact with one from ECSO; however, just like LEO's, they are quite busy. In the city that I live (in New Mexico) we have a total of 3 advocates that actually work in the police departments (two for one agency and one for two agencies). From my own personal experience, Sunshine would probably get more help from those of us here in New Mexico than from a victim advocate. But, that is just my two cents.

Crime Stoppers was designed as a partnership among the police, the public and the media. Programs are governed by a civilian board of directors who raise funds and pay rewards to anonymous individuals who supply information which results in the solution of crimes.

Since many of the day to day operations, tip investigation and reward recommendations are administered through the corresponding police department, the program is only as effective as the police department represented. Without a commitment to work the tips that come in, Crime Stoppers' ability to assist in the solution of this or any crime could be hampered.

Crime Stoppers has proven itself a highly successful program over the years since its inception. In fact, something that all New Mexicans can be proud of is the fact that it was founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1976. It is now an international organization with programs from all over the world paying homage to New Mexico as the birthplace of Crime Stoppers.

Legacy,

Thank you for posting this information. It is important to know that there are many Crime Stoppers programs in New Mexico. It is also important to know that Eddy County Crime Stoppers does not need to be the one contacted if there is a fear that the tip given will not be followed up by law enforcement. The information can be given to another program and passed on to the State Police, FBI or other agency.

Technological advances also allow some Crime Stoppers programs to take tips on their websites which then allows the director of the program to have a two-way dialog with the tipster. The tipster must enter a password and check back to see if the director has asked any additional questions to help further the investigation. This ability is not being utilized by all Crime Stoppers programs, but there are some in New Mexico that are using it.

I know that Crime Stoppers works with the media, public and law enforcement to not only prevent crime but to solve crimes that have occurred and tips have helped police solve all kinds of cases.

I encourage anyone with information on this crime or any other crime to contact Crime Stoppers. If you need help finding a Crime Stoppers program, please message me privately and I will find the contact information for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123