GUILTY NM - Sasha Marie Krause, 27, murdered, Farmington, 18 Jan 2020 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am having a hard time finding information on this - can any military personnel help? Was MG on furlough from Luke AFB during the dates of this crime? I am having a hard time connecting the dates.... The weekend of January 18-19-20 was MLK weekend so he would have most likely been off duty at Luke AFB for MLK weekend. The weekend of Feb 15-17 was President's Day and he would have been off duty at Luke AFB. Did he possibly go retrieve the body somewhere and place it at Sunset Crater (Flagstaff) during President's Day weekend? This would coincide with San Juan County asking for potential sightings near Flagstaff/Four Corners in February.... Are there any Luke AFB people on here that can contribute? I am just trying to reconcile his "free time" and whether or not this crime happened in 2 different "episodes"

Here is a very rough timeline: Please feel free to add or correct...

January 18 - 19, 2020 - SK is last seen...had dinner with her roommates and ran a quick errand to pick up some books at Lamp & Light Bookstore where she works. She only took her cell phone
January 18, 2020 - Detectives specifically report that MG traveled to Farmington , NM and was seen outside the "M" Community. (not sure if just his car or if MG was actually seen)
January 18 - 19 - SK is reported missing. "M" community members recall seeing a white van, truck or SUV behind the church that evening.
February 12, 2020 - $50,000 reward is offered leading to the recovery of SK (issued by San Juan County Sheriff Foundation - a third party)
February, 2020 (exact date unknown) San Juan County Sheriffs Office asks the public if there have been any sightings of MK and SK around Four Corners or Flagstaff - this is later deemed an "error" however IMO San Juan County Sheriff Office may have detected MG, his car, maybe cell phone ping (either MG's of SK) and this was not an error!! Please note that Four Corners is an extremely remote location and still quite far away (hours) from Flagstaff.
February 21, 2020 - SK body is discovered in the late afternoon by a a camper or campers off Forest Road 545 off Highway 89 between Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater National Monument
February 24, 2020 - Coconino County releases information that a body matching SK description has been found and later confirms through fingerprints that it is SK
April 21, 2020 - At 9:20am, Search Warrants (plural) are executed by Coconino County Sheriffs Office at Luke Air Force Base (where MG works and lives on base) (link below)
April 21, 2020 - I read (I need to find the exact news article) that MG was arrested at 1700 hours (5:00pm) - maybe at the end of his work day??
Date Unknown to me when MG was transferred from Maricopa County to Coconino County. Why would he go to Maricopa County first and not straight to Coconino County? Does anyone have input?
April 24, 2020 - MG appears in Coconino County Superior Court for arraignment (no plea and no bail - next court date is scheduled for May 1, 2020)
Please Note: The weekend of Jan 18,19,20 was MLK weekend (Military Holiday - MG was most likely not working)
Please Note: February 15,16,17 was President's Day weekend (Military Holiday - MG was most likely not working) - this is just prior to SK being discovered...did he move the body?

Questions:
1. Has her cell phone been recovered? We have heard that the head covering and undergarment have been recovered
2. I have read in this forum about a bag of beers? What is that in reference to? Can anyone provide that link?
3. I have read in this forum that SK received a phone call that evening she disappeared. Can anyone provide that link?
4. I have read in this forum that other people arrived at the church or book store the evening of January 18th very close to the time SK disappeared. Can anyone provide that link?
5. Any legal input on what they would be looking for in search warrant? Other than the obvious SK personal items. Would they be looking at when he exited and re-entered the Air Force Base on the dates in question? Would they have access to his computer, living quarters, personnel records? I know this seems obvious but interested in hearing a legal standpoint.
Several other quotes I have found interesting from news articles:
"Gooch was placed near Sunset Crater in Coconino County where her body was located" (link below)
"Several tips and security footage pointed to MG"(link below)

CCSO: Luke Air Force Base Airman arrested for the murder of Sasha Krause
What we know after Luke AFB airman arrested in Mennonite woman's murder
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/airman-arrested-homicide-new-mexico

Last edited:
That bag of empty bag of beer bottles has more significance now. If he was off base for the weekend, he could have just been sitting around on the steps with some friends drinking beer and killing time. A crime of opportunity.

What does this statement refer to? I have not read anything about this.

Just saw this updated on Coconino County Superior Court. There are 2 entries. One is for Flagstaff Justice Court and one is for Coconino County Superior Court. It looks like the counts have changed too. The theft/control property charge is not listed on the Coconino Case. Does anyone have any input on what these two different entries mean? I cannot find anything referencing bail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 4.21.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 4.21.52 PM.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 4.26.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 4.26.47 PM.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I can only tell you how it works in my State, so in answering I will tell you how it looks to me. Flagstaff court is a lower court. Charges are brought there first and then for felonies he would be entitled to a preliminary hearing in that court, unless a grand jury indicts him before that hearing. The misdemeanor charges (lower charges) could be dealt with there or could be transferred over to the higher felony court (Cocono County Superior Court). It looks to me that a grand jury may have indicted him prior to a preliminary hearing, so he would be bound over to the Superior Court. There is a supervening indictment in superior court on the docket. That's why I think that. It looks like they didn't indict him on the gun charge. The theft charge would have either stayed with the Flagstaff court OR the grand jury didn't charge that. Again, I can't see case notes on the dockets so it's hard to tell and I also don't know ARizona court system that well. You may want to tag WS member AZLawyer on this one.

Came to post this. I don’t think this is the only other arrest we’ll see related to this case.
Coconino and SJCSO are on the ball.

I agree more people are most likely involved. Maybe not directly but this case has some strange elements. This arrest wasn't surprising to many in the FB group.

I know we aren't allowed to share much information from FB groups, but are we allowed to share people that were in the group & suspiciously left when their brother got arrested?

I have no words... I am just glad there will be justice for Sasha. I'm struggling so hard to understand motive in this particular case, anyone have any insight or theories about what exactly happened here?
what a tragedy, I hope her family is moving closer to healing :(

I agree more people are most likely involved. Maybe not directly but this case has some strange elements. This arrest wasn't surprising to many in the FB group.

I know we aren't allowed to share much information from FB groups, but are we allowed to share people that were in the group & suspiciously left when their brother got arrested?

Yes! From that article it looks like even more people are involved and there may be an informant.

From the article -
"The Coconino County Sheriff's Office says they arrested Samuel Gooch after their investigation showed that he made arrangements to pick up a gun that Mark Gooch had given to another party.

Detectives say Samuel Gooch then flew from Wisconsin to Phoenix with another member of the family.

Detectives, working with the AFOSI, facilitated a meeting in Surprise with Samuel where he took possession of a gun that he believed was the one that belonged to Mark."

I wonder if the last sentence implies that there is someone who arranged a "sting" to get the gun - undercover officer or another party involved who "flipped?"

I also noticed that Samuel flew "with another member of the family." Oh boy.

And I'm guessing this means that they have the weapon.

ETA - Looks like they already had the weapon - from the Sheriff's Office - "Following the arrest of Mark Gooch, Detectives had collected the firearm connected to him which was being stored at an unrelated residence in the Phoenix area."

Snipped by me:
I have no words... I am just glad there will be justice for Sasha.

Me too! There was such secrecy and lack of response from her community when Sasha first went missing. I'm so glad multiple-state Sheriff's Offices and AFOSI (and one other agency as I recall) worked this case hard anyway!

Last edited:
And I'm guessing this means that they have the weapon.

ETA - Looks like they already had the weapon - from the Sheriff's Office - "Following the arrest of Mark Gooch, Detectives had collected the firearm connected to him which was being stored at an unrelated residence in the Phoenix area."
RSBM for focus:

Found a bit more info.:
“FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The brother of a man charged in the death of a Sunday school teacher has been arrested after he flew to Arizona to pick up what he thought was a rifle used in the killing, authorities said Monday.

Samuel Gooch was taken into custody Sunday in the Phoenix area and booked into jail on suspicion of hindering prosecution and attempting to tamper with evidence.

Gooch’s brother, Mark Gooch, has been charged with theft, kidnapping and murder in the death of Sasha Krause. The 27-year-old woman originally from Texas had been living among other members of the Mennonite community in Farmington, New Mexico, before she disappeared Jan. 18. She worked in literature ministry but also filled in as a Sunday school teacher.

[SBM]

Samuel Gooch made arrangements over the phone to fly from Wisconsin to Arizona get the gun he believed was used in the killing, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said.

‘Through the investigation, we believed it was his intention to come and get possession of that weapon and possibly destroy it,’ said sheriff’s spokesman Jon Paxton.

Authorities had collected the rifle from the home of one of Mark Gooch’s friends and placed a nearly identical weapon at the home and waited for Samuel Gooch to pick it up before arresting him, Paxton said.

[SBM]

Authorities don’t believe a family member traveling with Samuel Gooch knew about the plan.

The Air Force Office of Special Investigations and the Office of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms aided in the arrest of Samuel Gooch.” (BAIBM)
Brother of man facing murder charge in Farmington woman’s death is arrested in Arizona

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back