GUILTY NM - Victoria Martens, 10, brutally murdered, Albuquerque, 23 Aug 2016 *Arrests* *2 guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I mentioned this before on another thread, but I really wish the schools would educate children about
abuse and how it's NOT OK to be touched in the wrong places. Somehow, we've got to let children know that there is a safe place or a safe person that they can trust at school. I wish I knew how to protect every single child. I just can't believe that it's hopeless even though that's how I'm feeling right now. What can we (I) do to help prevent this from happening again? I'm so heartsick over this.
I taught preschool for about a decade and a half. We had curriculum (Talk About Touching and Second Step for Success) which discussed, taught, and practiced these and other pertinent and sometimes related social skills. We discussed safe and unsafe touches instead of good or bad because of how children perceive things and how biology does, too. We had regular training on identifying developmentally appropriate "sexual" ...stuff versus "yellow flags" and "red flags," what they could possibly mean and how to react, who to notify, what form to fill out, etc. I wish I could say I never had to take that information into practice, but I did.

Not all schools or programs do this. It's unfortunate.

I agree, a gynecological exam would be traumatic to any child, but bringing in a psychologist or other medical professional who is trained at spotting out signs/behavior of sexually abused children has got to be a better solution than what is in place now.

Any reports of neglect would then subject a young child to a gynecological examination-yes, I think this is too far.

If anyone is interested in tracking the legal proceedings in these matters, here is the site to look up the information:

https://caselookup.nmcourts.gov/caselookup/

The cases against J. Kelley are: D-202-CR-201602963 (and D-202-CR-201603122, which is a separate drug charge for possession/intent to distribute meth)
The case against F. Gonzales is: D-202-CR-201602961
The case against M. Martens is: D-202-CR-201602962

Right now, except for JK's separate drug charges, the cases are all linked. But it seems possible or likely that these three will want separate trials, so having the case numbers might be helpful if/when they're separated. Seems like the last thing to have happened in each is an amendment to the state's motion to be allowed to search the defendant's electronic devices.

I taught preschool for about a decade and a half. We had curriculum (Talk About Touching and Second Step for Success) which discussed, taught, and practiced these and other pertinent and sometimes related social skills. We discussed safe and unsafe touches instead of good or bad because of how children perceive things and how biology does, too. We had regular training on identifying developmentally appropriate "sexual" ...stuff versus "yellow flags" and "red flags," what they could possibly mean and how to react, who to notify, what form to fill out, etc. I wish I could say I never had to take that information into practice, but I did.

Not all schools or programs do this. It's unfortunate.

That's great to hear and exactly what I'm talking about. I just want all kids to recognize abuse and realize that there are people who will listen and protect them. I want to stop whatever it is that prevents kids from 'telling' on the abusers.

https://www.abqjournal.com/937823/police-attempted-kiss-not-crime.html

^^^

"Espinoza said detectives, along with the FBI and CYFD, are continuing to investigate previous rapes, including Martens’ statement that she invited men to her house to rape Victoria. No one has been arrested in that case.

“We’ve solved the homicide case involving Victoria, but since the autopsy revealed there were possibly other rapes that may have previously happened that’s still open and active,” she said."

I'm so glad this is still being actively investigated. As for the remainder of this article -- I just *cannot* accept that there were no signs visible to the social services folks in this case. I know that they're underfunded, overworked, heavily scrutinized when something like this happens, and that they're often in thankless positions -- and so this isn't a slam on them, I guess, it's more of an inability to accept that a child who was subjected to so much wrongdoing would be so invisible.

Ugh, poor Victoria. Writing that reminded me of how much she must have internalized and accepted her reality -- just out of a desire to survive and be loved. That article about how she gave FG a love letter & he tried to use it to defend himself -- that makes me want reach through time & space & my computer screen and give her a hug. And give him some kind of heavy object to the face. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From that article:

“We could have been monitoring him,” [deputy for the agency supposed to be monitoring FG] told the Journal. “But he still could have killed this child.”

This is just *not the point.* I don't think anyone denies the fact that, unfortunately, sometimes people who are being properly monitored while on parole commit terrible crimes. But it's surely, you know, LESS LIKELY that FG would have had a solid month to assault & abuse & ultimately help murder Victoria Martens if someone had been paying attention. Geez.

I agree and I really hope independent investigations are conducted on both agencies. A review of their computer and email systems will reveal which one dropped the ball.

I'm also glad the media is continuing to apply pressure and demand answers because something like this will undoubtedly happen again if something is not done about this gross level of incompetence.

A round up of some recent, related articles:

https://www.abqjournal.com/963134/j...lling-was-in-a-fight-with-another-inmate.html

^^^

FG attacked in prison (no serious injuries resulting)

http://krqe.com/2017/03/06/committee-shuts-down-bill-to-bring-back-the-death-penalty/

^^^

The latest push to bring the Death Penalty back to NM, spurred by Victoria's death, has failed for the time being

http://www.koat.com/article/attorne...r-suspects-in-victoria-martens-murder/9106294

^^^

Short video report on how MM, FG and JK are seeking to be tried separately (bc how else can you point the finger at everyone else & play victim of circumstance)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

March 27, 2017 06:20 PM The murder of 10-year-old Victoria Martens at a northwest Albuquerque apartment complex last August sent shockwaves through the community. The accused -- Victoria's mother Michelle Martens, Michelle' s boyfriend Fabian Gonzales, and his cousin Jessica Kelley -- are still in jail held on $1 million bonds.
Prosecutors in the case filed the "notice of intent to call witnesses" on March 20. It's to let the defenses' attorneys know who prosecutors may call to the witness stand during any evidentiary hearing or during the trial.
Among them are 13 noted experts who specialize in DNA and fingerprinting analysis, forensic anthropology and toxicology. Others are officers from Albuquerque Police Department and UNM's police department, including those who wrote reports and conducted interviews.
https://www.abqjournal.com/943090/questions-linger-in-killing-of-victoria.html

I've read all the posts and struggled thru all the news reports and media updates. The first time I even heard about this case about a month ago, I told myself that it was sensationalism by the media - no adult human female could do that to one of her own offspring, I thought. I could literally feel my stomach roll over. And then I realized I had unjustly accused the media of overreacting - it was actually worse than they said. And the more I read, the madder I got until now it is just a slow steady burn. Several posters here have said we need to be Victoria's voice and I agree. I want the lawmakers and administrators and media to hear our voices over and over and over again saying this is not OK. We do not allow our children to be treated like disposable property. Child killers and pedophiles don't get released for "good behavior" whatever the *^)) that means when you've allowed two people to rape and kill your baby, ala Baby Brianna's egg donor Stephanie Lopez. Too many times I've watched trials take years and years, put off by attorneys until memory fades and outrage has cooled, then the monster slides by with a minimal sentence. Well, I'm done. I'm going to follow this case and a few others and everytime there is a new hearing, or a court date, or discussion of parole, I'm going to email every reporter in the area I can find and remind them of what happened and push and cajole them into reminding everyone else so it doesn't get swept under the rug and forgotten. I may not make a ripple in the bucket and it may not change one iota of the outcome, but it has got to be better than this slow burning impotent rage that is consuming me. As an attorney, I could not sleep at night or look at myself in the mirror if I had to sit next to this filth and try to convince good law-abiding jurors that my client was fit to walk the same streets.
FWIW - the two reporters that have done most of the stories on Victoria are Nancy Laflin at KOAT 7 - nlaflin@hearst.com and Gabrielle Burkhart at KQRE News 13. They are who I will be writing to. The most recent judge for this case, last I heard, is Benjamin Chavez.

The incident on the tape actually happened back on February 12 and unfortunately Gonzales wasn't injured *sigh*. The attacking inmate really needs to up his game.

KOAT is weird, the story hits show up on Google, but links take you to a one liner or another story.

This guy is going to be in real trouble once he arrives in prison. Someone is going to seek justice for Victoria.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back