Non-Religious Questions About the Big Bang Theory

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are elements that we do not even know exists yet..therefore it is a fact that the universe is comprised of the elements on Mandeleeves table and there is a reason that he left blank boxes on the table for future research..here is a great site that answers alot of questions, courtesy of an 8th grade AP Science Book..

http://go.hrw.com/hrw.nd/gohrw_rls1/pKeywordResults?keyword=HK1Periodic&x=27&y=17

Thank you for the links MsPooh. It is definitely worth registering. The link is http://www.scilinks.org

I will post the links here that they provide now that I have registered.

2. What shape is the universe? (Flat, round, etc.)

Here's the answer to #2!

What is the Shape of the Universe?

The density of the Universe determines its geometry or shape. If the density of the Universe exceeds the so-called "critical density", then the shape of space is curved like the surface of a huge sphere. If the density of the Universe is less than the "critical density", then the shape of space is curved like the surface of a saddle. If the density of the Universe exactly equals the "critical density", then the shape of the Universe is flat like a sheet of paper. Astronomers are still trying to accurately measure the shape of the Universe. The most widely accepted theory predicts that the density of the Universe is very close to the critical density, and that the shape of the Universe should be flat, like a sheet of paper.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/mysteries_l1/origin_destiny.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpetta
13. Are some places in the universe expanding faster than other places?

PH
--Another good question of yours, but I think its equal expansion everywhere...maybe--think its called the cosmological constant theory

This is a great thread!
My now 8 year old knew all the planets at 4 & loves black holes & anything about the universe. His favorite channels are PBS, Science & Discovery. He LOVES Nova. Of course, the 6 & 4 year olds have to just follow along.

On the topic of the above question, I think one of the books we have talks about the expansion rate of the universe being constant, but the rotation rate of galaxies being faster on the outer edges, which affects gravity. I also believe there is a theory that the universe will expand to a maximum & then start collapsing -- though I don't believe the maximum is identified. It was in one of the PBS series productions, I feel sure.....

1. Are all the elements in the universe, not just the earth, listed on the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements (Mendeleev Periodic Table)?
We tend to think so - at a basic level. Elements we understand pretty well, and the periodic number is simply the number of protons in the element. So, in the lower numbers, we're familiar with each element - one proton - hydrogen. 2 protons, helium. 8 protons - carbon. There can be isotopes of these, based on how many neutrons, electrons there are, but the element itself is simply a name given to the number of protrons.

The question is how big it can go - the more protons you stuff into a neucleus, the faster it falls apart. We've constructed the higher elements in labs - they're not naturally occurring, and they're radioactive. Probably some of them are sitting inside stars, and quite possibly a few higher numbers than we know of. But the idea of, let's say, a new element that is like carbon, but not carbon - that we're pretty sure just doesn't exist.

Now, it's interesting how they are all used - carbon may be coal or a diamond depending on the structure of the chemical bonds (which basicly amount to the electron sharing arrangement they've come up with, with the other atoms in the molecules), or the old limerick:

Johnny was a chemist
Johnny is no more
What Johnny thought was H2O
Was H2SO4

Oh, and I'd hit wikipedia for a start, they tend to have good overview topics - might take care of a few questions and focus you on the more difficult or interesting ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avah
Back